The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

If the Museum is already crammed, what will happen with the final cars that don’t get approved? Will they be on display in some SACAM dealerships or shipped to Africa? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Well. Perfect example of a completely subjective round…min-maxing is actually bad huh

Going lore seems more sensible here.

On another note i’m actually somewhat glad our car was broken by the game :stuck_out_tongue:

Also @denta sorry to break it to you. Datsun Go is actually one of those examples of understating the power.

It’s the only LCGC with a DOHC 4 valve and not 4 valve SOHC. It’s marketed to have 62hp. But real life dyno said 88PS, roughly a bit less than 90hp, when run on 92 octane

Why would they do that? “Look people, our very poor, very cheap, very crap car is even crappier than it actually is, go buy”. What is more plausible is that, knowing how 3rd world countries work, the dyno in question wasn’t properly tuned and gave out optimistic numbers.

Wait what? I just said that it’s actually better than advertised…

Also people don’t even dyno their stuff here. So the few dyno shops that exists are actually usually properly tuned. Most of them imported the dyno rig and actually hired an engineer/mechanic to tune it.

Also correction it wasn:t 88 with 92 octane. It was 82hp with 90 octane. Still 20 more than the advertised 62

He’s questioning the logic in advertising the car having less power than it really does, seeing as it’s crap already.

2 Likes

Oh damn, I just realised the Maesima NV-975 would have been a far better contender. At least looks wise as I’m pretty sure the engine and fuel consumption wasn’t very good.

Anyway here are my CSR30 designs.

##S.A.C.A.M. Production Evaluation Committee

This are the five prototype chosen by the deisgners.

We open up all the cars and evaluate all the problematic concerning the mass production of those cars as the Salgàr and the modification that must be applied to them in order to minimize the tooling costs and re-use parts from the S.A.C.A.M pool.

The BAM Bavaria (@Der_Bayer) was an intresting car, the layout was ideal, but it was too expensive to built. We have to redesign the interiors, the gearbox and the chassis, along with the production system, need some adjustments to allow us to galvanize the monocoque. It is an extensive work, and we are too short of time. 27/48 points

The @DracoAutomations layout was less ideal with the rear wheel drive and lack of galvanization. The engine need some adjustments in order to archieve a better fuel economy, also the suspension setup that need to be tweaked a bit along with new even size tyres and new brakes (we can’t use vented disks). It takes time to do all this. Plus, we have also to add a new gearbox with overdrive gear. 25/48 points

The RAM1600 (@pyrlix) had chassis similar to the BAM Bavaria (front transverse with no galvanizazion) but with a complicated double wishbone suspension on the rear. We are not used to build car with this; yes, the handling is truly excellent, but it will not repay enough the effort to adjust the production line. The engine need a redesigned header in order to fit different carubrators and we have to adjust the car handling after new even-size-tyres were fitted on it. Also, we have to scrap that slushbox in order to put a manual five plus overdrive. 27/48 points

The Omelette du Frogmage (@Leonardo9613) had similar problem in common with the DracoAutomation chassis, but this one is designed to be galvanized. We have rear double wishbone suspension, but at least we have a suspension and tyre setup that do not need to be touched. Only the front brakes need to be replaced with some solid disks.
The engine is good, but we have to adjust the AFR or the carburators: A bit of work. Probably the biggest redesign work it will be the cable work for allow the radio to be installed into the front console. It will probably need some cosmetic restyle soon. About the a new name, it woulnd’t be a problem. 30/48 points

The VC2 (@4LGE) is the most ready to production chassis we have. Ready to be galvanized, transverse mounted engine with 5 speed manual gearbox with overdrive.
It didn’t had rear torsion bar, but the semi trailing arms are okay. We have to twitch a bit the car behaviour, mount bigger drum on the rear and tweak the brake pressure, but the engine is almost production ready, with an excellent mileage. We have to get rid of that semi clad undertray and replace the 8 track with a regular radio. Nothing very complicated. 35/48 points.

Here is the
##New S.A.C.A.M Salgàr

Norman Vauxhall - CSR30 - 4LGE.zip (33.4 KB)

In the attachment the production version of the car and the original prototype sent by @4LGE.
To you the next round!

EDIT
Here all the cars for this round.
CSR30.zip (652.5 KB)

15 Likes

Merci, @NormanVauxhall ! That was quite the entertaining read! And… wow, I actually won. That I ever get that honor in the CSR.

Also Congrats to @Der_Bayer, @DracoAutomations, @pyrlix and @Leonardo9613 for avoiding the scrapyard and dodging a premature trip to the Museum!

Time to get a brief together! Now, two things I’m asking:
Shall we stay in Europe?
Shall we stay in even older decades?
Because I had something in that direction in mind, but could come up with major variations.

7 Likes

more old cars… hmmm interesting…

1 Like

This was one round where it was actually better to let the bean counters overrule the engineers for once. At least my car went to the company museum (where a sports coupe could be build on its platform) instead of the scrapyard!

@4LGE deserved to win this round - and not a moment too soon. Congratulations on your first round win!

1 Like

Yes! Yes to both!

Yes, and yes.

2 Likes

Don’t be afraid: It doesn’t have to be Euro-style cars, but the idea is: a travelling car expo! Ship your cars in from anywhere!

2 Likes

I’M NOT SALTY THAT I PUT 4 SEATS IN BY ACCIDENT. NOPE. :sob:

2 Likes

5 or 6 seats rule is nonsense
4 or 5 would have made more sense

after a scrapyard employee called us and informed about our prototype being sent there to be permanently removed from this world. we arrived with a chinook helicopter and some armed personnel in case someone shows resistance, but then we realised we are in france and there is no resistance here, thats why most lightnings hit france. we loaded up the prototype and sent it back to our R&D complex. we decided if we give it a 3.0 v6, only two doors and galvanization we can sell it as a coupe

A mid size family car with 4 seats it is a nonsense. Not one with 5 or 6.

3 Likes

Totally understandable - you need as many seats as you can fit in the car for practicality’s sake. That’s one of the requirements for this round I didn’t forget about… However, I was certain that 5 seats was enough; it is possible to fit 6 seats in certain bodies without editing any .lua files, but I never felt the need to build a six-seater.

please keep a round like this, this is feel so much refreshing since i dont need to balance between stats and track time

3 Likes

where do you find cars with 6 seats. only big american cars have 6 seats