The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

It seems my idea of an emission muzzled sedan wasn’t quite what the buyer was after, but the rest of the competition looks great. I’d most certainly buy a Salmon GT-sprint.

5 Likes

And here I thought having a 3.8 liter I4 would have at least gotten a mention for fitting such a big engine in such a small SUV.

Still, glad to see that even if it’s not continuing onward, it got mentioned for what it is, a wild-card.

And I’m glad it’s cheap-ish to run.

2 Likes

well, i suppose i’ll take “very good, but no excelling features”. i tried a rounded approach, but it’s maybe too rounded.

2 Likes

I f&^/n love the way it is presented! Gave me the thrills reading it while listening to synthwave :sunglasses:

Hoping that the little racing pedigree I so far had with Taore (Tare back then) will be enough to be recognized. There would’ve been the Pratinum in the Dalnit Bralka Rally, which was more perseverant than performant.

8 Likes

After reading the introduction:
:heart: - standard for CSR
:heart: - for the opening gif
:heart: - for the introduction
:heart: - for the 80s mood
:heart: - for the reviews - they might not be anything incredible, but I really like them :slight_smile:
:heart: - for those photoshops seen while scrolling here

So, how can I give you these additional 5 likes? :smile:

16 Likes

___

@ramthecowy - Ryujin

Much like the preceding entry, this one comes with an odd name. It’s simply called the Ryujin. So I’m assuming it’s a Japanese vehicle judging by the name but I don’t have much else to go on.

Opening up the container I’m met with a striking design and colour the Ryujin. A plum purple. It’s a nice design with an interesting quad circular pop-up headlights. A sleek simple front end. Insides only two seats but it’s nothing fancy. Very standard stuff as you’d expect from the Japanese or wherever it comes from.

No complains here our client didn’t ask for a luxury GT car after all. This has a big modern naturally aspirated V8 mounted mid-transverse like an exotic. This is the loudest car tested so far with a straight pipe. It’s a great performer around the docks. It’s quick, although no match from the 822Street but still right up there matching the 911 Turbo.

But it also suffers from the dangerous snap oversteer of 822 Street. Making it an enjoyable if somewhat challenging drive. But overall it’s very competitive package that our client will want to check out.

@ApocalypticInfinity - ACC UDX

Next up was the ACC UDX according to the shipping tags. Now UDX stands for something I’m told but has yet to find out. Opening the container this thing looks like nothing else I’ve seen. It’s like it’s back from the future! The design seems like it’s almost a decade into the future with curves and around shapes. How have they could have created such a machine?

They must have some very advanced computer systems at the ACC design studios. Inside it’s a similar story with a premium feel and great sound systems and standard safety and all the rest. Only two seats though nice and plush leather ones. Under the hood is a modern turbocharged inline six. I went to head out to test it around the docks. But unfortunately this futuristic design. Suffers from the same fatal flaw as the EcaMobile.

The nice smooth six cuts off right have it hits it’s red line. But in this case it the cut off preserves the cheap cast internal components. I guess they were trying to cut costs after spending all the money on that futuristic exterior. But a car is nothing if it does not enjoy the driver with enjoyment behind the wheel. So this rules this out of the running for our client. Back to the container, it goes.

@Nomade0013 - Gamma Guara Turbo

The manifest said the next entry was the Gamma Guara Turbo. I’ve never heard of it probably comes from some third world country. Well, let’s get this container open and check it out. Inside they’ve certainly got the looks down. Pop-up headlights, hood scoop, massive fog lamps very pleasing design.

Insides it’s a fairly standard place with cloth seats for four an auto box. But a great sound system really premium stuff. Can’t be that bad a country this have advanced ABS and the latest safety features to even power steering. Let’s give her a spin around the docks.

Well, it’s faster than many Japanese coupes like the RX7 or 300ZX Turbo. But against the fearsome pack here it just can’t keep up. Interestingly this doesn’t use the double wishbone system like nearly all the rivals. Instead of opting for a McPherson strut and Semi-trailing arm setup. Which actually performs rather well.

But the automatic locking differential is also an odd choice. It ruins the smooth automatic ride with its jerky power transfers around the bends. So while I like it and the design has a lot of heart. It does not match the rest here and so it goes back to the ship.

@TheElt - BM Beam

Now this container reveals an entry from BM with the Beam. A little green hatchback that looks more like a rally car than a road car. The styling is a little plain but subtly aggressive but you can kind of tell this means business.

Inside it’s all the usual standard stuff four cloth seats, tape deck sound system, and usual safety gear even ABS. It’s all wheel drive so that should be interesting. A big naturally aspirated V6 under the hood. I go to take it out to the dock but damn this steering is heavy! Oh, no power steering in this brute.

Alright, let’s see what it’s got. It spins up all the wheels and powers up to 100 km/h in under 5 seconds impressive. Damn impressive. It’s almost like a road going version of that Austin Metro Group B entry. After enjoying some quality testing around the docks. I headed back and noticed the fuel gauge dropped a fair bit.

Looking at the technical specs it’s actually got the worse fuel economy of all the cars tested here. Which make it rather expensive to maintain besides the 226L it’s very pricy running costs.

So while a very impressive ride. all the pieces don’t quite come together and it’s not exactly what our client had in mind. So back into the container it must go.

@koolkei - Komodo Scalar 4Drive

Next up was a shipment from Komodo Motors that interesting Japanese brand. Usually only know them for their small economical cars. But let’s see what we have behind these doors…Oh this looks good.

Similar formula to the BMMA nice red colour our client will like that. Big hood scoop very nice clean design but kind of aggressive. Still could use a spoiler but otherwise great. What’s it like inside. Interestingly only two seats in here so tons of room out the back.

It’s pretty classy premium stuff leather seats, wheel and even some high tech stuff. Like climate control, heated seats, electric windows. along with some advanced safety tech like ABS.

The sound system is pretty normal looks like its from the parts bin of their regular cars but not bad. Gotta hand it to those Japanese they know how to equip a car Detroit could learn a thing or two from them.

The ad said it it’s the Komodo Scalar 4Drive and it’s got a straight-six turbocharged under the hood. It’s nice a smooth and push the Scalar off the line and too 100 km/h in only 5.6 seconds equalling the BMMA. Thanks to good suspension setup, geared LSD and AWD it takes the bends well.

Overall It’s a good performer and still relatively economical considering. But it is more expensive to keep running. Especially compared to the similar BMMA Salmon GT-Sprint. But I think our client will like to check this one out himself.

@Leedar - Boyd Serpent Turbo

So unlocking the next container revealed another German-inspired coupe. Much like the 822Street in profile. Very clean minimalist design. It’s well equipped with a premium sporty interior with two seats and all the latest safety tech. But only a regular sound system.

As the brochure states, it makes a statement. It’s not a practical design but nor should it. Let’s give it a good test drive around the docks it’s got a modern DOHC inline six turbos so should be good. It’s not as quick as I was expecting but around the same as the Bogliq Slyde Turbo maybe a bit slower but that sort of level.

Handling it pretty well but outclassed by many here. It also suffers from an aggressive redline cut off at peak power. Despite the engine internal looking more than capable of handling a higher redline. While reliability would take a hit.

Overall driving experience and performance would greatly benefit from it. It’s a shame since it looked good. If perhaps a bit plain it was nearly there. All the ingredients of a great sports coupe and just needs a few tweaks and it’d be golden. But for our client, it’s not going to cut it so back to the ship.

@thecarlover - CM Quebec SC

This entry took a fair bit of extra effort to get to unlocked. There was some sort of fault on the shipping container and took some ingenuity to get it open. But I was instantly rewarded with an awesome looking coupe. It’s the CM Quebec SC that’s Canada Motors for those of you who don’t know.

It should be good too as they have a history filled with racing pedigree. Pioneering 4x4 and AWD vehicles on the rally scene. They even sneak into the occasional Nascar event. So that should mean good things with this AWD V8 Coupe.

It’s sleek modern understated yet aggressive styling is very nice. Insides it’s matched with plush leather seats, all the modern gauges, premium sound system. Plus high-tech safety gadgets. Although I notice there isn’t any boost gauge. So no turbo here. It sounds good from the modern V8.

As I head out to the docks and really start to pump it. I notice it’s not quite as grippy as some of the others here could be down to the tyres. But off the line, it’s a bit sluggish amongst the impressive crowd here. Sure it’s faster than an M3 and Matches the RX7.

But it still seems a bit more like a GT than an out and out sports car. It’s an impressive machine with an impressive price tag to match. But wish it came with a turbocharged version to really make use of that sleek design. Because then it could stand up to the best of them here.

@LordLetto - Letto Crown Victoria

The next container was already unloaded when I got there and wait. Oh crap! What’s this detective doing here…oh it’s just our next entry. Yeah, this is more like the cars that would be…umm ‘visiting’ our client on his ‘peaceful’ trips through the night. It looks like a design without any innovation of this year like 70s car rebodied for this decade.

Inside and out that’s pretty much true. Oddly though the designers decided to created all the panels from aluminium. Which has got to be expensive?

Why I couldn’t say as it’s by far the slowest least sporty entry so far. It’s a large bordering on a huge premium sedan. The type suited for those wanting to be riding around in the back rather that stuck with driving it.

Overall I’d be happy if the taxi I took here was comfy as this…but for our client. No, it goes back in the crate. It was a bold wildcard entry that clearly didn’t read too carefully between the lines of our request.

@phale - Adenine Mist

The tags lists the next entry is from Adenine. Ah, that quirky American brand that so alternative you’d almost mistake them for an import. Well, here they’ve sent the Adenine Mist.

I got to this container just in time to see the door reveal a peppy little compact sports car. It has a sleek modern design and very Asian influences. I kind of like it but that over the top massive wing is sending F-40 style signals That I doubt the rest of the car and back up.

Inside its pretty standard plastics and grey interior, you’d expect from Adenine. Nice well built with simple yet clear and simple gauges. Everything is well laid out if a little clinical. Under the hood is a fairly simple looking SOHC all cast inline-four turbocharged. Ugh is this going to be the LVC Arca Archa all over again?

I hope not! I start her up and she boosts all the way out the warehouse and from 0-100 in 5.9 seconds. It’s not the quickest here but damn it stick to the ground like glue. Probably the best handling car I’ve tested so far.

Thanks in part to the nicely geared five-speed box and the geared LSD. To top it all off it gets some of the best mileage of the bunch here. Coupled with low-cost and extremely cheap running costs. It certainly earns its place among the finalist but the question is will our client like it as much as I did?

@oppositelock - GSI Butzi BiTurbo

This container revealed a teal sports coupe with a very familiar shape. Another very understated and minimalist design with pop-up headlights and whale tail. In a very bold an innovative approach the designers have done away with rear taillights. I question this decision on grounds of safety and wonder how it ever made it to production this way.

But maybe they do something different in whatever country. The GSI originates from and we’re not exactly doing things by the book here so I guess I can’t complain. Inside you’ve got four plush leather seats, leather wheel, stick, power windows, a/c and high-tech sound system. Even ABS and other standard safety stuff. It’s a bit conventional and plain much like the exterior. But nothing offensive but it does seem it like its a bit stilted.

Under the hood though is a high-tech all-alloy DOHC turbocharged V8 making the most power of any design here. So let’s see how it puts down the power…Whoa! Damn this thing is a monster! A truly an insane creation…it’s faster than a Ferrari F-40!

Without question the fastest entry here both in outright speed and off the line with sub 4 second times. Quarter mile in under 12 seconds damn! Around any track, I bet this thing would crush the rest.

Amazingly it still manages a fairly good 11.15l/100km fuel economy. It’s not even the most expensive car to buy here or run. A very impressive machine hinted behind a sleek if not almost unfinished exterior. Our client will definitely want to check this out. If for nothing else then it’s outstanding performance.

@Strop - Matteo Miglia Merlo Turbo

Up next was an entry from Matteo Miglia an Italian company. The doors of the container opened to unveil as striking machine. Wow, now this thing looks like really is a proper Italian supercar. It’s in a deep dark mystical sort of colour. It certainly looks like something set to take on the mighty Ferrari.

I think it looks great the front is nice. If a little plain and wanting. But it’s really the side profile and back where you see this thing really stands out looks the business. Vents sticking out all over the place and that big wing and a central exhaust at the tail. I was thinking this must be a real race car.

But inside surprisingly it’s all proper premium quality. Leather seats, wheel, gear stick and parts of the dash itself. Only two seats naturally. Sound system, safety and everything else look pretty normal, though. This one’s a SOHC flat plane V8 turbocharged. The gauges are fairly classic circular with that typical Italian flair.

I noticed in the booklet it comes with says it’s got magnesium rims and only a viscous LSD. These are some odd choices. That LSD puts it somewhat at a disadvantage against many of the geared LSD rivals. Well, let’s test it out anyway. I take here out slow I don’t want it to scrap anything. I light it up and it sprints to 100 km/h in only 4.3 seconds.

Not as fast as the insane GSI Butzi BiTurbo or even the 822 Street but still damn quick! In fact, that’s beating the F-40! It feels sporty, with nice gear shifts. Something tells me straight line speed isn’t everything for this one. In the corners, it sticks like nothing else. Bar none this is the best handling car beating out the Mist and Arrowhead in the bends. Around a track, nothing save for that GSI Butzi would beat it.

But this is definitely the most sporty car yet. Fuel economy is actually not too bad. Compared especially compared to the naturally aspirated rivals left standing. It’s even pretty good value upfront at only $19,110 but as you’d expect from an exotic it’s kind of pricey to keep running. Still, overall our client will very much want to see this one that’s for sure!

@4LGE - Taore RZ-2000 Turbo

This container revealed the Taore RZ-2000 Turbo which really looks the part. Modern awesome graphics pop-up headlights turbo, one bar tail lights across the back. It all looks soo good I’m 100% certain this styling will never get old. Insides it means business.

It’s a proper sports car with modern orange tinted gauges, including boost one. Only two seats, the radio, and rest looks standard no ABS in this just skill. Under the hood is a very modern four cylinder I wonder if it can keep up with the stiff competition here.

I take her out for a spin and it’s nice but off the line, it’s only doing around 6 and bit seconds. Which is great but amongst this group I’m not sure it’s going to cut it. But then I notice an interesting button mounted within the modern and boxy dash. It says ‘TURBODRIVE’.

Well, let’s see what this down….Oh hell yeah! Now we’re talkin’. It raised the boost by some margin and give it a real kick. Now it’s clocking times to match the competition around 5 and bit seconds. It’s only RWD but the geared LSD keeps it planted. It holds and sticks into the corners not as well as say the Mist or Merlo but it certainly matches the AWD BMMA.

Thanks to the button it still returns pretty good fuel economy and it’s not too pricey to buy or to run. I think our client will have to check this one out.

@MarcoAlla - LAMBDA INTEGRALE 16v

Next up was a container from LAMBDA. It revealed a beautiful Group-B Legend a Delta S4. Wait…no, not it’s a Delta Group A. It’s an amazing replica of the incredible Lancia rally car. But this one gives you a beautiful three door version.

We’ve all dreamed about ever since that thing hit the rally scene this year. It’s like a Group B legend and the Group A had a baby and this was it. Inside it’s a proper sports car with four racing-style seats and a rally inspired grippy wheel. But thankfully you get a plush sound system, power steer, ABS and some really modern safety tech.

Under the hood is an Inline four cylinder with a cast block and alloy head. Turbocharged and matched to a five-speed box. Now let take it out for a run on the docks!

Hmm… it performs extremely well right up with the best here. But something a bit odd with the engine. It seems to be having the same issue a few cars have had the engine redline cuts in right at peak power. I have no idea why this would be the case as the engine certainly seems willing and strong. But it really spoils what is otherwise a beautiful and well-performing car.

It’s an absolute shame as the car looks outstanding and was well equipped. The handling despite that lack of any LSD was great too. Fuel economy and cost to run and buy were all within reason. But that fatal flaw with the engine dooms the otherwise brilliant entry. So back into the container it goes.

@TR8R - First Order Automotive Hunt DCi

Now this container has any entry from First Order Automotive. It’s called the Hunt DCi. The doors open and out pops a bright red little fastback coupe. Certain Audi influence at the front quite nice and some subtle vents low down.

Apparently, it’s featured in “Life on Ashes” but I wouldn’t know as I don’t watch much TV. It’s an AWD inside you use this awesome gullwing door but the interior is another premium experience.

You get leather seats, all the goodies great sound system. ABS, power steering but nothing too fancy with the safety gear. Under the hood, I don’t know how but they’ve put an all-alloy V12 SOHC naturally aspirated in here.

Incredible it’s a great performer so damn smooth. Off the line, it pulls sub five second times to 100km/h. Handles very nicely too thanks to a great suspension, AWD and geared LSD. Overall a solid performer so I think our client should check it out.

@szafirowy01 - Zavir Aera Turbo

Tags show an entry from Zavir, Oh yes Zavir. I’ve heard of them they’ve got a fair bit of racing history and some Italian flair this entry could be good. This container opens to let forth a blue beauty. The Zavir Aera Turbo a coupe that draws influence from several of the other brands we’ve tested.

But here it puts a distinct styling spin of its own. The advert claims this is ‘quite probably the coolest sports car in the known universe.” Now there’s a bold claim! There is no denying it’s a sleek design. Nice hood scoop, spoiler and sleek low tail.

Inside you’ve got two seats. Proper sporty ones too much like the rest of the interior. It’s lightweight and driver focused with only a basic sound system. But there are some luxury features like power steering. Plus ABS but the rest is just standard safety gear.

Under the hood, it packs only a small inline fully alloy four cylinder DOHC turbocharged. This gives it a run to 100 km/h in 5.3 seconds just short of a 911 Turbo but well into good company among the entries. Now in the corners, this thing is amazing only bested by the Matteo Miglia Merlo Turbo. A lovely drivers car so it earns its place to see our client.

@titleguy1 - Kimura Eminence

Hmm…an entry from Kimura that big Japanese company. I’m surprised we haven’t seen anything from Saminda or Seishido for that matter. The container opens to reveal. Hmm… this is strange it looks like a compact executive car.

Not some high tech sleek Japanese sports coupe with Turbos and every gadget added. Well, it’s a nice looking car. It could give a 5 Series a run for its money, in fact, this is more like the type of car my client is likely to be chasing. Inside it’s nicely appointed with all the premium features you’d expect from the Europeans. Plus all modern electronics these Japanese cars seem to have. Even if it does seem a bit duller and lacking that flair you find in some Europeans entries.

It’s nicely equipped ABS, power everything, leather seats for four. Along with all the latest safety would you expect anything less from them. I mean their adverts were high tech. Inside the gauges are very modern. Although I guess automatic transmission is an extra cost as this is a 5-speed box. Still, should make it more fun to drive. Starting up the sadly non-turbocharged V6.

It goes well nearly catching an M3 off the line and actually beating the Supra Turbo. For an executive sedan, it’s very impressive handling and driving car. You can see why the Japanese are taking over everything. But of course, it’s badly outmatched here.

It compares well with the CM Quebec SC which is a bit faster but it doesn’t handle as well and is a bit more thirsty. It’s a bit of a V8 killer in that regard. You can see why designs like the Letto Crown Victoria are going the way of the dinosaur.

When both that new fangled Sinistra Warrior SE-4 SUV and this V6 are eating it alive. In every performance measure. But in the end, this isn’t really what our client is looking for in a car. So while it’s a great car it won’t work out here so it’s going back into the container.

To be continued…

27 Likes

…How in the world are you dishing these reviews out so quickly? I applaud you, dude, you’re a freakin’ machine!

12 Likes

he has no time to reply. he is writing the reviews

1 Like

@Rk38 Wow. Man. This is some next level shit. The style, the quality of writing, the artwork… I am beyond impressed. Screw the results, this is amazing as it is! :grin:

11 Likes

I wish I had your writing skills!
Nice work!
:clap:

4 Likes

I hope you won’t mind if I use your fantastic review and photoshop in my Zavir thread? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, After Reading the 1st Set of Reviews, I Knew It’d go back in the Container. I Wasn’t Sure what I Should be going for from the Start, As I Was Looking at bodys to figure out what to go for, I Saw that body and was Like “Cool, Let’s go for a Crown Vic” Clearly, it was a Bad Choice, Should have went for something like a T-Bird or something instead.

Fantastic work putting the F40 rims on the car to match my poster!

And yeah, that viscous LSD… it was because I was bumping right up there on the engineering times. I would have liked to use the geared LSD but it represented a lesser benefit than everything else. That’s not a lore-breaking decision, though. Matteo Miglia runs on a pretty tight budget and tight timeline, and viscous LSD is kind of cool and techy and stuff so :sweat_smile:

I’m super chuffed that my car’s the best handler despite me putting in all that premium shit in the interior -shudder- Actually premium seats wasn’t too bad, only an 8kg increase over sport/standard. That part was the spirit of the upcoming NSX speaking (referenced in the blurb with the race drivers tuning the chassis and suspension and stuff). I basically made the engine match that output (270bhp), so the challenge was very similar to the NSX’s: outrun a Ferrari with a lot less power. Besides, with all that techno stuff, that gets pretty expensive to maintain, so mileage would be important, hence me running a relatively eco-turbo setup instead of going full BOOOOSCHT.

5 Likes

My euro/muscle love child is looking pretty out of place among these exotics, I’m starting to regret sticking with the pushrods and the reasonably (for America) sized engine. Well at least I made it past the first cut.

This is the best writing I’ve seen in ages! No matter who wins, this round will be a tough act to follow!

And the Arrowhead, in a nutshell, arose from my idea of building a pony car with performance to rival a 328 at a much lower price - and with superior reliability to boot.

As for the results… it’s way too close to call as things stand right now. Most (if not all) of the cars that made the first cut are real contenders… Any of those could end up winning!

2 Likes

I didn’t realise he wanted an unreliable car. :sweat_smile: One of the reasons I have a ‘low’ redline is to maintain the sporty torque curve instead of it petering off towards redline. Clearly I was on the wrong track trying to emulate the performance of a real world non-super sports car of the period.

Yeah the Automation world contains a lot of decisions we make to optimise, as opposed to compromise. There’s probably a lot less undersquare engines here than in the real world, but the reasons for that and the upcoming changes to the balance that may affect gameplay are discussed elsewhere.

edit: damn I’m excited, I keep refreshing hoping the results will update soon

6 Likes

the decisions i had to make
if had i put a 3.0 nasp V6. it would be slower than the current inline 4 turbo, and also use more fuel than turbo
if had i put a 3.0 turbo v6. it would be bit faster, use more fuel, the car would weight more. and lets not forget the automation’s v6 turbolag

what could i do (after i read the review)
since a 3 liter inline 6 couldn’t fit inside transverse/longitudinal. i made a undersquare 2.0 liter inline 6 turbo. which had proved to be way better

• acceleration went from 6.9 to 4.9
  • i could rev it higher and had more power. 50 hp power increase
    -used less fuel than the inline 4 turbo. from 10 liter to 9.50 liter
2 Likes

Thanks for feedback everyone I’m glad it’s turning out okay because I’ve got a bit of a surprise planned :wink: Hopefully, it will be a unique sendoff for this round.

@titleguy1 Well thankfully cars came in at a mostly steady pace allowing me to get most of the reviews done earlier than the deadline.

@szafirowy01 Sure, go right ahead.

@Leedar It wouldn’t have really affected reliability much at all. Since a number of entries suffered this fault so I’m going to offer this advice that I myself had to learn from the members here as the game doesn’t really make it very clear.

A general rule is that you should always have some RPMs left over the peak. It will help the overall engine score and will help other scores like sport. Usually around at least 400-500 RPM above the peak output will be fine in most situations from the 1980s to present.

Final update incoming soon.

11 Likes

There are three, sometimes mutually exclusive goals of design in Automation competitions: best track performance, best Automation scores, and best subjective qualities. It’s often hard to tell which competition runners are looking for.

Personally, I avoid going into excess RPM reliability loss (due to internal limits or valve float, not raw RPM) for subjective reasons (I like making engines that are rock solid and have room for owner modification, rather than racing-style engines that are already at their limits).

It’s not universally true that an engine needs to have a redline after peak power to meet any of the three design goals; doing so is generally associated with high performance to smoothness/economy ratio, but low performance to weight/volume/material cost, low performance limits for a given design (cylinder count, valve train, etc.), and less satisfying subjective engine qualities for a sports car market (surging or flat torque near red line is more satisfying than declining torque, i.e. ‘running out of breath’). Aside from smoothness and economy, exceeding peak power also is important for maximum track performance when peak power is rule restricted.

1 Like