The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

I’ve been going with efficient turbocharged I4s. Save a lot of money for decent body panels and quality interiors :wink:

I use what’s appropriate to the car, but I keep falling back to the V6. It’s a great compromise between power and space.

Yeah, it’s probably the most compact engine, considering its square shape. While I could make a 1.2L V6 or something, it just seems too small for a V6 IRL. Maybe I should try playing around with odd combinations some more and I might find something better.

My typical ‘little’ V6 is a 2.5 liter. Don’t know if any real engines were produced to that size, though.

[quote=“koolkei”]it’s somewhat becoming a tradition isn’t it?

almost every competition, there’s seems to be at least 1 guy/girl, that says “fu** it, why not? just for fun” *clicks v12[/quote]

:laughing: true

true

When I saw all that nice MR cars I knew that I have no chance following so V12 coup it is :slight_smile:

You’re wondering around the Used Car dealerships and walk by “Dang Ol’ Dean’s Autos”. You immediately catch the eye of one of the sales people who comes over to you.

So, you’re in the market for something sporty and cheap, huh? Plus you’re willing to look at the classic market as well? Interesting. I think I may have something you’ll like…

I’ve got here a 1987 Erin Nasaro S. You know, the one of with the 2.0L turbo? Oh don’t worry about that 0.20 hp per kg limit, this baby’s way under that. Plus it’s seriously light, comes in at just 1043.6 kg.

So yeah, it’s a mid-engined 80s entry level sports car, full service history and all appropriate documents. Guy who sold this to me had just spent about £3000 restoring her, so she’s certainly in good nick. Those alloys are original, as is most of the upholstery. Plus these cars are known for reliability. By the way, if you get the time, have a search on YouTube for the Group A touring version of this, they were seriously good race cars back in the day.

You aren’t sure what the insurers will say? Relax, my friend! These things are pretty darn safe compared to some of their rivals, and this was one of the first sports cars to have two airbags in it. Plus those brakes will stop you, trust me, and they barely fade at all. And of course, its efficient, and those emissions aren’t so bad either. And that big front bonnet? Yeah that’s the boot, you’ll get your weekly shop in there easily, so it’s definitely practical.

What’s that? You wanna know how this thing drives? Well…damn, it certainly is hard to falter. It’ll do a 1:28 around the Airfield track, 0-60 in 5.6 seconds, tops out at 143 mph. Yeah sure, it isn’t the fastest thing in the world, but remember, your insurance company ain’t gonna be sending you ridiculous quotes if you’ve got one of these. Don’t do any speed runs with the pop-up headlights up though, takes 7 mph off the top speed!

The price? Hmmm…well, they are going up in value. And one in good condition like this will be worth some serious money in a few years. How about I start you at $15,500…

i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s527/Mackiatoe/nasaro%20marketing_zpsifkng0er.png

[quote=“AirJordan”](there will be space and time for photoshop…but not today)

Let’s face it, who buys used mr car to daily?[/quote]

Most Toyota MR2 or Fiat X1/9 owners. :wink:

*The '91 Schack Etera GT-P

Back then the all new Etera was created as a respone to the numerous Japanese performance cars appearing on the market. It featuares a powerful 272 hp straight six engine with a turbo strapped to it. The power is sent to all wheels via manual 5 speed transimission. It launches the 1530 kg car from zero to 100 kph in 5.3 seconds and brakes back to zero in 34 metres. Top speed is over 260 kph. Fitted with premium interior and standard cassette player. Multiple airbags ensure maximum safety. Adaptive suspension ensures a comfortable ride and with the power steering, ABS and TC, gives you the edge on trackdays. It has also a high flow cat installed to keep greenpeace away and does 11 L/100 km combined cycle fuel comsumption. Since then it maybe has lost a few ponies, but the CR Steel chassis survived the 25 years and will do some more.

A series of few thousand was planned. However, the Etera wasn’t catching on in the European market with the price tag of 34k $. Few we’re exported globally. A lot of the cars were modified or stripped down and went track racing or hill climbing. Because of the low sales, the production was stopped halfway.

The car is rare and there are very few with unmodified engines left. Left in stock it’s common to be very reliable. The car went just oldtimer and prices aren’t skyrocketing yet.*

This offer is simply too good to pass up! Don’t miss out on this rare 2+2 beauty.

In 1990 Luther released the Moderna, their then new flagship vehicle. There were 3 or 4 “standard” configurations with a variety of options available as upgrades on platforms that had the choice of 2 or 4 doors. Luther also prepared 1,200 examples of what they called the “Moderna Grand Tourer”, henceforth just GT. Vehicles made under this name went to the main 3 Moderna markets: North America, Europe and Australia; each getting 400 models. The GT was the top of line, best of the best. That’s what I’m offering you today! Europe’s #44 of 400 Moderna GT.

Like I mentioned earlier this isn’t your average Moderna. A lot of people remember the Moderna as being practical, reliable and reasonable. It totally was, but now crank that up to 11 while tossing in some more power and sportiness and you get the GT. Luther doesn’t throw around the “GT” moniker and rarely uses it. So when you hear Luther use it and name something GT you should take notice. The Moderna GT is no different.

Here’s what the GT provides: Luther’s “ProRes” corrosion resistant steel monocoque shell and panel work. Double wishbones at the front with a Multilink setup at the back. A 2.4L Straight Six producing 185HP with a super silky smooth curve and superb reliability. High quality 5 speed manual transmission and torque sensing LSD. Zeke-Zero High performance sport tires (not original) with 18-inch alloy rims. Vented discs at the front and back that provide responsive no fade breaking. 4 seat Luxury interior that has room for actual adults in the back, none of that kids only malarkey. Luxury entertainment with all the driving assists possible as well as advanced safety features for its time. Yet it still manages a combined 9.76L/100km and a 0-100km/h in 7.5 seconds.

It also features an adaptive air suspension which uses an advanced control unit with sensors to adjust the ride height and allows for manual adjustment. So you can raise and lower the car whenever you want. Want to lower it for a more sporty appeal and better track times, do it knowing you can raise it up for a better drive home.

Even though it’s unique, Luther part commonality and availability has always been high so there is no need to worry about expensive replacement costs, should they ever occur. I’ve only ever replaced the suspension control unit, and that was after 20 years. Replaced it with the same type, but brand new direct from Luther.

Let’s be real, any modern sports car worth its salt could probably keep up or out run the GT, but NO sports car will have a more comfortable ride or offer the same abundance of options. You also won’t look ridiculous when you need to impress your boss. The GT is a classic luxury car and it’s a sleeper. Your coworkers never need to know that underneath its calm exterior that this car is a beast. You get to look and feel like an adult and still be a kid at heart. It’s the best of both worlds.

1 Like

Ford duratec came in a 2.5 liter, Mercedes Benz had a 2.6 and Mazda had a few 2.0 or less so that sounds perfectly reasonable.

the mid 90s mitsubishi galant were using 2.5l DOHC V6

and i think 2.4l on some countries, because that’s what im seeing here.

update:
according to wiki
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Galant

so yeah they did build 2.5 and 2.0l v6
but where is the 2.4l? O_o

While browsing through the car ads you come across one for a 1990 Mott Works Proto AX.

This autocross bred road car has proved to be one of the best vehicles I have owned, being both practical and sporty.

Despite the sporty nature of the car it is still very practical for me as a daily driver with 4 seats, which are easily removed to reduce the weight, a decent sized trunk, good gas mileage, at 25mpg, and good comfort I’ve been able to use this car for trips to work as well as for transporting my family. The corrosion resistant steel used for the chassis and aluminum used for the body have little to no rust on them.

Of course being an autocross bred car it’s also a great car to take to the track. With air springs and adaptive dampening paired to double wishbone front and multi-link rear suspension on 205 sport compound tires gives it large amounts of grip through the corners. The engine under the hood is a 2L NA inline 4 producing 174hp, which paired with the low weight of 1926lb meant that the car could accelerate to 60mph in 5.7s. The power of this engine is transferred to the rear wheels through a 5 speed manual transmission which gives the car a top speed of 131mph.

1 Like

in 2012 the komodo zygot got a revision and a new trim.
a revision for better reliability and better engine that doesn’t drink as much but still retains most of it’s power.
a new trim for those who want more than just pure fun, so we give them BOTH comfort AND fun

price when new

due to the rules and time constraints. i couldn’t came up with an original idea for an ad. so point for who knows whose ads i copied :smiley:

1 Like

The year was 2011 and CMC (Chromeline Motor Company) decided that they needed a compact saloon car to add to their lineup, what we came up with was the Zestra. This small FWD compact saloon is perfect for any young driver who wants something a little different, most young drivers decide that hatchbacks are the way to go but the compact saloon market is growing bigger.

This car has a happy little 1.6 powering the front wheels and pushing out a nice 137bhp @7400rpm (it likes to rev) and a sensible 118ft-lb of torque @4700rpm. This car will happily do 38.5mpg combined (the result we got from the cars computer when driving from Southampton, UK to Geneva, Switzerland). The car accomplishes Zolder in 2:25.32 (It’s no Touring Car). I know what you are asking ‘why has it got 4 tailpipes?’ well it’s because we thought they look cool :laughing:

This car can comfortably seat 2 adults in the front and 2 in the back, 3 adults in the back is a bit snug. The boot can fit a weeks worth of shopping easily and also handles holiday luggage very well, the rear seats fold down completely making more room for carrying larger items like large appliances and flatpack furniture from a large Swedish retailer. You will find living with this car a delight.

The interior is fairly equipped with your typical run of the mill Pioneer CD player complete with DAB digital radio and a docking port that comes in either Iphone or android or universal (for crappier phones :laughing: ), The steering is power assisted with our new SportSupport system which stiffens up the steering ater pushing the sport button, it also stiffens up the suspension. Stability control comes as a standard feature to protect you from your own inexperience :smiley:

Now to the important bit… the insurance, thanks to the naturally aspirated 1.6 the insurance should be considerably lower than most cars of today as a lot of manufacturers went with turbochargers.

This is a highly practical car and i really think you should consider it as a long term solution because you never know you might start a family in the coming years :smiley:

1 Like

1 Like

img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/Carskick/Kirk%20TIllibt.png

This is an interesting breed we’ve put out!

Kirk designers were told to make a convertible that was practical and anyone could afford. But it still had to be fun and sporty. This is what they came up with.

The engine produces a very nice and usable torque curve which gives 166 ft-lb of torque from 2200 RPMs to 3800 RPMs. at 6100RPM, the Horsepower maxes at 146. Sounds like a small turbo 4 cylinder, but it isn’t. The small, NA V8 uses it’s small size and high piston count to balance economy, sportiness, and low cost. Unlike a 1.4L turbo 4 Cylinder that makes similar power, there is no Turbo lag or hesitation. There is ample torque and power all the time! And putting in the rear powering the rear wheels gives the car Porsche-like handling. The large hood contains ample storage for groceries, golf bags, and even dead bodies!

It’s a blast to drive, but it’s not a true sports car. It’s comfortable, safe, spirited and economical. It happens to be a blast to drive! But with a 9.9s 0-100KPH time and a 17.1 second quarter mile, one may wish for more power. Turbo’s are available, but this is the base version. This keeps insurance costs low, maintenance low, economy high, and is a blast to go flat out, which you can do very often!

The Kirk Tillibt… Practically Unique!

1 Like

It has been quiet down here so I hope you are doing reviews or else it’s the first time we will witness:

(insert horror music)

My entry email was only just read and downloaded in the last few hours, so I’m assuming it’s being written as we speak.

I’ve been doing reviews and trying to write atleast half a page for each entry, but I’ve been stuck in bed this weekend thanks to a throat infection giving me a nice fever of up to 39.5°c / 103 °F. I got 4 reviews left to do, and I’ll try to get it all done and sorted by this evening :wink:

Health first, online game reviews second.