The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

We’re competing with a steam sale, and people playing in Unreal version but it still being too buggy to make submitable entries in. I’d say 18 isn’t that bad considering. :3

wait what? what does the UE4 have anything to do with this? it can’t even export the cars yet…

It consumes time? I guess just that.

I didn’t enter because of real life, I don’t play Automation since June, 11 and will only play again after Jule, 8. I’m already feeling the abstinence :sweat:

3 Likes

Reviews (The Used Cars)

So I’ve been busy researching online, checking gumtree and car sales daily while looking into a few dealers for the latest deals. I’ve managed to end up with around 20 possible choices from available dealer stock and saved online ads. It’s time to finally work through them and see which ones are worth shortlisting. Let’s start with the used cars.

@SpaceOrion - 10’ Volken

Now the first car I visited was the ‘Volken’ at least that’s what the classified advert said. I’ve never heard of Volken and I’m not sure if it’s the brand or model. They claim this vehicle isn’t a “Chinese copy paste machine” but rather apparently based on the chassis of a VW. Personally, I don’t see a huge resemblance. It does rather look more like the sort of thing a Chinese factory my produce after being told what a VW looks like over the phone. Anyway, I decided to check the car out anyway it was clearly some type of rare custom built machine or weird kit vehicle assembled from parts where they could find them. As you would expect from any custom built Aussie design it uses a big V8 but interestingly they’ve paired it with and all-wheel drive setup which has been boosted by insane figures and given a coat of paint from the HSV lineup. I’m not really sure it’s even road legal. Despite its construction, it’s extremely well appointed inside with a very premium feel. Performance should be terrifying but thanks to the well-designed interior it never feels that bad. While it’s very fast, day to day you’ll never really be able to use it and the cost of all that power is fuel economy as bad as the old Maesima. But the real kicker was the price. This is may be the first car I’ve looked at but from the rest, I have ready to contact it this is by far the most expensive to buy outright. It only gets worse when to look into the total costs where it approaches absurd levels. So I left the strange property of the owners and headed back home in my trusty ute.

@Madrias - 85’ Dynamite C1 SC

Ah, the Funky 80’s wildcard I remember these back in the day! That’s up I went to check it out. But it just seems crazy and out there when I was younger. I never got a chance to drive one so I needed to see if it’d live up to the hype. Well, 85’ was a loooong time ago and time is a cruel mistress as my flabby old body reminds me. These were rocket ships back in the day. 0-100 km/h in 5.8 seconds. Still bloody quick. That’s carrying five leather seats, electrics and premium quality sound system. Sure not all the junk new cars have to haul around but still impressive. What’s less impressive is the ride and handling while good isn’t up to par with some of the other vehicles I’ve tested. But that’s hardly the car’s fault. Now the 186 kW alloy six is turbocharged but seems fairly simple SOHC that almost tempted to work on it myself. But looking up a quote for parts it’s damn expensive to keep this running even if it’s one of the cheapest to buy outright. Plus I knew down in my heart the looks I’d get driving this around. So I left the Dynamite to check out my next ride.

@conan - 06’ Tishillyman Sagata Turbo

The weird named German returns in a less weird look but just a punchy in power. I remember the old Sagata it was distinctive design but now it’s moved on to a more conventional 90-00s style rounded lines. Still, though it maintains an interesting character, I particularly like the unique tail styling. The front is more conventional but nice enough. The colour of this example is a nice deep rich red. Inside it’s your typical well laid out and impeccably plush German saloon interior. It’s AWD too because that’s the way the Sagata Turbo has always been. I didn’t get the power figures from the owner but assured me the inline turbocharged six had plenty of power. Boy, he wasn’t kidding! Plenty is an understatement! It shots to 100km/h in under 4 seconds. It’s criminally fast. Although seldom can you ever use all that power it’s nice to it’s there for the trip to NT perhaps. Fuel economy is about the same as the Dynamite so not that great for but compared to XR6T and SSV’s it’s pretty good really. The ride and handling it all nice enough and the six-speed transmission is very sweet with nice overdrive for the highway. In the end, it’s the smaller stuff the utility, somewhat lower than average reliability and cost that start to weigh it down. But I might have to shortlist it anyway.

@Grandea - 96’ Zenshi Altrea GT25T Limited

Ah, the Zenshi another classic Japanese brand. While I was looking for an Altrea Newman R since it looks way better with that sleek body kit and front fascia. Although I suppose it’s spoiler might have been too boy racer. I’m not sure what Zenshi was up to in the 90s but for some reason, the US got another model. We got the JDM spec (well crappy AUS spec version of it ) called the AZ20 but the US got a different whole body called the AZ20A still the same platform I believe. Anyway besides the Newman R spec the USDM version just seemed a bit nicer. While the Altrea GT25T Limited, I found looks alright. But I don’t know the lower fog lamps just look weird and rest of the car seems lacking. But looks aren’t everything and don’t I know it! Certain won’t have to worry have the misses thinking I’ve had a midlife crisis. Now inside its typical Japanese appointment everything is laid out well and plenty of plush leather and electrical adjustments. Being the 90’s it got a CD and cassette so I can enjoy two levels of obsolete media. Now it’s got a nice well evenly spaced five-speed box which is great on the twisty mountain roads but the lack of overdrive makes it less enjoyable on the freeway. The suspension although extremely well built and advanced double wishbone and multilink is clearly not set up for Australian conditions as it bottomed out a few times on some of the harsher bumps. The SOHC inline six is good for 196 kW but cannot match the fuel economy of newer models. But in the end, I felt there was some begrudging respect for the Altrea. It’s not perfect but it does have character.

@thecarlover - 92’ CM Thelon Mosport

The next entry is a car comes from the great northern lands of Canada. The Thelon Mosport isn’t exactly throwing off the image of a midlife crisis with it’s sleek 90’s sports car lines. But I did think it was best I take it for a spin and drive it just to be sure. The owner told me he had some original adverts for this car but when I arrived he only had one image that didn’t look very professional and had not text with it. This example tries to hide its sporting nature behind and subdued silver paint job but its design is classic. Maybe not the most original but then why mess with such pretty design. It’s got plenty of grunts and it’s very smooth but fuel economy is not too bad but the low seating position and long doors make it less practical and once I looked into the total costing I discovered it may not be what I could justify. It’s a great car and even an impressive grand tourer but it’s a young man’s car. I can’t explain this to my ex so I had to leave that sleek sporter to be hooned by some lucky young lad.

@Ornate - 05’ Accursio Piedmont

The next entry is a car…a very strange car. To be honest I have no idea why I even doing looking at it. But when you see a V12 for sale at this price you get curious. When I get to see the guy it’s a fairly horrible kind of beige colour and rather unassuming forgettable looking car. That is if it wasn’t so massive. I mean the wheelbase is longer than a Stateman. It almost looks like a hearse. Gee and I thought that Maesima was hard to park! The ex will think I’ve lost my nut. But maybe that V12 will make it worth the rest. Well, inside it’s a different story plush leather and woodgrain trims, satnav etc. All looking a little dated these days but still quality. It has tonnes and tonnes of room. I could probably even sell the ute with all the space this has got. Now, this thing is European…I mean I assume it’d only be a them that’d give it such a name and then add AWD and a six-speed auto back in 2005. Well, that allows it to sprint to 100 km/h in just over 7 seconds so pretty darn good for such a big tank of a car. That big V12 is buttery smooth and pull all the way. But once you peel away the image of fancy European estate you see it actually a mixed bag. The suspension is ancient solid axle leaf spring. Yet it’s sprung so softly and with clever active sway bars, it maintains a mostly cloud like experience. But Accursio has made some very odd choices the diff has manual lockers like a proper 4x4 yet the rest of the vehicle has no off roading pretension. That big 203 kW 5.3L V12 is a huge lump of cast iron with a basic OHV design yet it’s paired with an incredibly innovative direct injection system back in 2005. In the end, I was glad to get a chance to drive this curious beast. But odd mix of design choices and just thinking of the huge servicing costs should anything go wrong. I’ll have to leave the Piedmont here and continue my search.

@squidhead - 81’ KHT by Noto C1 Scura

This one I know won’t make it past the ex with more vents than an air conditioning unit. But when I spotted a clean example. The official name is the KHT by Noto C1 Scura. I think…at least that what the guy selling it says. It’s a real 80’s overload. A road legal group B car just about with pop-up headlights and TURBBOO! Under that vent filled hood is an all alloy 3.4L twin turbo V8 pushing out 195 kWs and AWD system naturally. That means it boosts its way to 100 km/h in 4.7 seconds. Again at least that’s what the guy said. He went with me on the test drive so I couldn’t really hoon it. Now having said how great it was I mean this was like dream to drive a living 80’s legend. The interior and fuel economy shows how much things have changed. Only two racy looking leather seats, no power steering or any assists just a fairly basic looking 8 track radio. So comfort isn’t really that good…at all but you feel very connected to the road and it grips as good as a new car. Sadly all that road feel is connected right to my old back and I’m getting too old to enjoy it. While I was still trying to convince myself I could throw the kids in the back and make this work. The real killer was when I looked into the servicing costs! Parts are damn expensive for this thing and this ended up being one of the most expensive cars I tested. So I had to bid goodbye to this 80’s Legend.

@ramthecowy - 14’ Cavallera Kunai

The final used car I looked at isn’t even that old. It’s a 2014 Cavallera Kunai, I’ve only heard bits about the brand and to be honest I wasn’t even sure they were operating in Australia yet. But the Kunai is a competitor to the fiercely fought compact market. While the rather conspicuous purple example, I found still looks great. It’s a very modern design making big use of LED lights and shapes which overall give it a fairly interesting and somewhat distinctive design. But the unique character goes deeper than just the visuals. Because under the hood of the Kunai is a boxer four which powers the rear wheels. Now the used dealer wasn’t very clear about the exact displacement of the engine but they said it was good for around 172kW it’s naturally aspirated and power goes through a 6-speed manual gearbox. Again the particular salesman I was talking to didn’t seem to know what he was talking about how this car can be optioned without active suspension components and with DCT if I wanted. Seeing how this is a used car I don’t really know what he was on about and I asked to see his manager instead. Stepping insides it’s nicely appointed plush leather interior only slight signs of previous use. Materials have held up well. On the road, it handles nicely while still offering a good ride. Fuel economy is the best I’ve tested so far returning around 6.32 litres per 100km. Looking up the total pricing and purchasing etc it’s a very appealing offering that will have to be shortlisted.

13 Likes

Reviews (The New Cars)

So now I’m just left with the new ones to check out and see which ones are worth shortlisting.

@LilRedRhyder - 17’ Omega Archer GT

The Omega Archer GT was the only proper little hatchback on the list. The demo model came in a rather unflattering green colour and presented a fairly conventional design. The styling seemed a bit hit and miss with the front and tail looking like they were designed by different studios. There were plenty of lashing of chrome trim here and there. Unexpectedly it has a transverse 1.8L V6 naturally aspirated. Paired with a 7-speed dual clutch transmission. Insides it’s fully equipped with all the modern gear. Now to drive it’s really easy the well engineered suspension handles the ride well enough. It returns an excellent fuel economy of 6.3 litres per 100 km matching the Kunai. But the more I drove it the more the comparison with Kunai popped up. They were both as easy to drive and about as sporty too. While the entry from Cavallera wasn’t quite as safe being the older car it was a lot cheaper not only to purchase but servicing put it ahead. So sadly the Archer GT wasn’t quite the fit for me. I guess that’s why the four cylinders have mostly supplanted the V6 in the class.

@abg7 - 17’ AMP Oswego V Turbo

Now an entry from AMP, the Oswego V Turbo. This large blue coupe is a bit of strange beast. It’s not really edgy enough to be a proper sports car but then it’s a bit too impractical to be anything else. I mean it’s got nearly as much room as the others but it’s harder to use with the big doors. To drive it was less impressive than the rest so far but still above the Volken. But behind that rather conventional styling is a fairly sporty design. With 0-100 km/h in just over 5 seconds. But the inside is well built and laid out but no leather or anything fancy. It’s much the same as the exterior. Sure it has all the gadgets and is plenty safe. The inline turbo six provides a smooth balanced drive offering impressive fuel economy of just under 8 litres per 100 km while still providing 270 kW of power. But in the end the heart and soul of the car was missing. It felt like someone collected all the elements of the perfect sports car and threw them on this without once hint of passion or soul. It actually ended up feeling like an unholy mix of Monaro and XR6T Falcon. Something that’s a bit too bogan friendly for my liking. So I bid farewell to the Oswego V Turbo…after giving it a ceremonial burnout send off. Let’s just hope the dealers don’t find out about that one!

@titleguy1 - 17’ Kimura Auriga KRS Auto

Well I had fond memories of my last Kimura so I decided I’d pay the dealers a visit. While their sleek little coupe would be the natural successor to my Auburn. I don’t think it’d look right and the misses wouldn’t be happy with it either. So instead I gravitated to the Auriga midsize. They have plenty of options but the liftback is such a great mix. Sleek sedan looks with all utility of a hatchback. While Kimura have always had great styling. Some the older sedans and regular cars like many asian brands tended to look a bit bland. Well that’s no longer the case everything in the lineup looks so damn sporty it’s hard to tend which ones suppose to be the economy car anymore. The Auriga has a really upmarket and sporty design yet it’s practical enough to fly under the radio with the misses…I mean most cars look the same to her anyway but somehow they can tell if you get the ‘wrong’ one. Following the industry trends it’s a turbo four under the hood. Not that you’d know since it’s just lump of plastic covering over everything. God knows how many sensors and such is under the hood. Thankfully Kimura have a pretty good capped price servicing, warranty, and roadside assist. The engine is good for 217 kW and boosts the Auriga to 100 km/h in 6.8 seconds, while still returning around 7.93 litres per 100 km. Inside the sporty theme continues it’s all well put together and very plush and premium leather with sporty highlights. The let down is the infotainment system which is ok but not as fast or larger as many of the competition. Still it works pretty well and it’s good all the other goodies. The transmission is a eight speed auto with two overdrives and shift great even the manual mode provides some fun. It’s an impressive package so I’ll have to shortlist the Auriga.

@gridghost - 17’ Scarab Nova S

The ATCC winning Scandinavian brand brings a nordic version of a commodore meets german saloon. It’s almost a tad bland but yet distinctive enough to know it’s got that certain Scarab look and clean efficient lines. Instead of that boring sedan design it’s gone for the much nicer liftback setup. Insides it’s like an ikea kitchen of airy light wood panels and supple tan leathers to hug you in place. Under the hood it’s Euro sized 3.5 litre turbocharged V8 through an all wheel drive system. Which gives it a very reassuring stability and grip especially on this rainy day. Power is plentiful and imidate giving a relaxed cruising experience but then when you need or want it the power is always there. Overtaking or taking the old pacific highway it can handle it all with ease. It’s a very nice packages that even returns a acceptable level of fuel economy at just under ten litres per 100km. Overall it’s going to have to be shortlisted.

@JohnWaldock - 17’ JHW Ensoniq

The JW Ensoniq is another large coupe design similar to the AMP Oswego. This however comes in nice deep red and plenty of chrome trim. I’m not mad on the front light design but the rest looks nice enough. Inside it’s a great premium felt with leather all the extras. In fact that’s a trend with this car the feel is always reaching for the top shelf. Under the hood is a very new DOHC Turbocharged V6 producing 159 kW matched with a 7 speed double clutch unit. It’s a classic RWD layout. Amazingly JHW have chosen a supercar levels of engineering with Pushrod rear suspension matched with active springs and dampers. Which provide a cloudlike ride. It’s a cruiser not a racer with 0-100 km/h in 6.3 seconds which is perfectly fine all while returning a nice 7.34 litres per 100 km. But the two door layout and expensively expensive suspension. While it’s not as expensive in total costs as others it doesn’t offer the striking looks, standout performance or value that others have managed and thus by no fault of its own the Ensoniq falls from the list.

@Leonardo9613 - 17’ Bonham Chaucer 3.0 Elegance

Ah the first entry from Brits. Sure at one point it seemed like all hope was lost for the British automotive brand (not that we can talk here as all we’ve got is a few crazy niche brands left) But The British brands finally seemed to find their place in the premium/luxury field. The latest Bonham vehicles look great. While you can certainly see influence it’s from all the right places to it goes down well as wholly original piece. In typical old world style it mixes the latest in advanced suspension and other mumbo jumbo with the most classic of layouts. A rear wheel drive inline six such an elegant solution although over here it generally brings the less upmarket association to a Falcon taxi than 5 Series. Step inside the Chaucer and you’ll find that high quality British design alive and well. The leather trim provides a very premium feel matched with great infotainment system that is clear and crisp. All options and safety both active and passive are here. Bonham have done their homework. Under the hood is the aforementioned inline six enjoyably naturally aspirated here. Putting out a claimed 181 kW this is matched up with a very modern eight speed automatic gearbox. It’s good for 0-100 km/h in 7.0 seconds dead. While returning around 8.34 litres per 100 km. The gears are well spaced with two overdrives and it’s very sleek gearbox with simulated manual shift mode providing a somewhat enjoyable imitation of the real thing when you turn off onto a back road. The suspension helps when you get there with a very clever adaptive dampers and clearly locally tuned setup providing the right balance. Overall I’ll be shortlisting the Bonham.

@DeusExMackia - 17’ Erin Merna 180Vox Touring

The next entry is another British brand, but not just any but the very same makers of my old car! I couldn’t pass up a chance to see what the latest Erin Merna was like and see how much had changed since the 80s. Well the new model is a revolution in styling, while the old one was of its time the years were not kind and it felt distinctively 1980s with that sharp edged boxy shape…inside and out. All that has been replaced with a sleek and clean design of the modern Erin design language. Inside it’s clear Erin have kept that classic interior design language too. It’s very well appointed and extremely well put together with leather seats, woodgrain trim, plenty of safety although the infotainment system isn’t quite as sleek as other units. Under the hood it’s Erin’s turbo four pumping out 142 kW matched up with a six speed manual box. It’s good for 0-100 km/h in just under eight seconds. While returning 7.13 litres per 100 km. The gearbox has great shift and gears are nicely spaced allowing you to really use all the power of the engine. But dive into the corners and you’ll find the fairly standard suspension is well setup and really give you confidence. Beside the odd camber it’s all good. Overall I’ll have to shortlist the Merna.

@koolkei - 17’ Komodo Odoru L

The next entry is a solid performer great value and fuel economy. Cheapest overall so far and still compare well to the Kimura although clearly lacking the finer details and pretending to be a liftback while actually a sedan. Not sure what the weird stacked asymmetrical exhaust is about but so many of these Japanese brands these days are just desperate to lose their ‘bland’ image they’ll do anything to be seen as ‘edgy’ or ‘quirky’. Inside it’s very high class for the budget it’s impressive to keep such a premium leather trimmed interior. Great safety both active and passive too and they didn’t even cut corners on the infotainment either. Under the hood it’s the modern set up a great turbo four banger making 155 kW paired to a 6 speed auto. Interestingly the Odoru L uses a fully aluminum body panels to save weight helping it achieve a 0-100 km/h run in just 7.7 seconds along with an impressive 6.56 litres per 100km. While it’s not as sporty as plenty of others the gearbox and suspension have been nicely tuned to make the most of the car. Overall it makes a very strong impression and I’ll have to shortlist it.

@TR8R - 17’ First Order Automotive Cruzer GT Lux

The next entry is a luxury sedan! Yes the First Order Automotive Cruzer GT Lux sent me a deep teal coloured compact sedan. I’m not sure I like the long tail shape but the front offers a very imposing luxury image for such a small sedan. Now the Cruzer is an example of taking everything to the next level. Inside it blows the rest away with a amazingly refined and plush luxury leather, real wood grain, electric everything, more speakers and infotainment than I could poke a stick at and even cool digital gauges and HUD! Oddly though safety is only up to an average standard so clearly First Order had to cut the budget somewhere. Under the hood is much to my astonishment a fully magnesium block for an inline six producing 182 kW this is paired with a sleek six speed dual clutch setup. This allows a 0-100 km/h in just under six seconds while returning a little over 7 litres per 100 km. This thing is a breeze to drive and still somehow perhaps it’s the semi active dampers and sway bars but still feels quite sporty in bends even carrying all this luxury. But once you settle down on the highway it just glides along. Now all this should be enough to carry it through to the finish but I worry about the expense of servicing let alone fixing that magnesium block and the race exhaust it’s just all to mismatched with the character of the car. It doesn’t know what it’s suppose to be I just need daily not some mix of a rolls royce and race car.

@Mikonp7 - 17’ Ecamobile Kaenguru

Now the Ecamobile Kaenguru was the only vehicle that seemed to offer a choice of replacing all my rides. But it started at a disadvantage with its umm…distinctive looks. To top it off the fuel economy is only marginally better than the Senshi I’ve already got and I only use that for short trims. If I had to commute daily with this thing I’d be putting some stress on the budget. While it comes with an impressive list of features and is so massive it’s got tons of room for everyone. The cabin provides a very comfy ride even on unsealed roads and fire trails. But I don’t know call me old fashion but this whole luxury twin cab ute things just feels a bit weird. While there is plenty of room in the bed. It can’t match the versatility of a tray top. The final blow was the overall pricing. It’s very expensive to buy and paying that much for a ute that will just be beat up doesn’t seem right. So sadly the Ecamobile had to go.

@phale - 17’ Adenine Valence Touring

The next who could pass up a chance to try out the latest from Adenine? They always top the charts in reviews for value for money. Who knows how they do it? Well the Valence is nice looking sedan. Yeah that’s right despite the looks and what is clearly a liftback/hatch tail. Adenine insist on calling it a sedan. Personally I think someone should call the services because it’s criminal misuse of categories going on in the automotive industry. The Germans are by far the worse calling all those massive SUVs ‘sports activity coupe’. But I digress. We’re getting off track. Now back to the Valence Touring. Well it an attractive ‘sedan’ and has some character with those subtle indicators on the front. While it doesn’t strike me like the Kimura I’d be happy to own it. Where it really shines is under the hood and inside. Wow, Adenine didn’t hold back. They call it a premium vehicle but it much as well be a luxury car. Sure the plush leather seats might not have the comfort or adjustment of a luxury sedan. But the rest is legit! The kids will love me it’s only got two seats back there but they’ve got screens, electric everything you name it. Upfront so much stuff I don’t even know what half of it does even a bloody HUD! Safety is top notch as you’d expect from Adenine they are always doing well on the ANCAP five stars. It shows the Americans can really take it to the rest now. This AWD sedans even has a fancy diff and clever suspension. So at the touch of dial it’s go from a cloud over these awful Sydney streets to stiff as race car. Amazing what they can do these days. Power comes from a the industry standard a 2.0L Turbo Four packing around 185 kW and that means it’s good for 0-to speeding ticket in 6.5 seconds. That’s sports car fast from my day. All while returning just under 7 litres per 100 km. It’s so easy to drive too. But all this magical tech and great performance comes at a cost. It’s more expensive than the comparable Erin, Kimura and Komodo. Nonetheless I’ll have to shortlist this.

@Dorifto_Dorito - 17’ OAM Traveller Gen 5

Talk about value for money! I nearly missed this one going through all the new brochures but OAM make a very impressive value proposition. Packaged in a rather smart looking liftback with those distinctive grill mounted indicators. Now personally I think those extra indicators seems a bit out of place with the otherwise chic and clean design. But maybe it was some type of regulation issue? Ah well doesn’t bother me that much. The rest of the design is quite nice with some aggressive vents down the side. Inside well it’s a standard layout and nothing too over the top but that’s fine it seems comfortable enough. Plenty of safety which is nice. The Traveller is powered by a modern DOHC V6 putting out 136 kW pair with a classic six speed manual in a RWD setup. This allows it to shift to 100 km/h in just over eight seconds. While still returning around 6.61 litres per 100km. It’s not that fast but it’s adequate gearing lacks an overdrive which is a bit of shame for the highway driving. The suspension is clever has a selection of options on using the adaptive dampers and semi active sway bars. But all of the setting still felt like the ride was a little harsh. In the end I don’t think it quite fits for me. It’s a shame because I actually really like it and think if they address the issue with the next facelift they’ll be onto a winner.

14 Likes

Stellar reviews, and I like how you split the old from the new. Looking forward to the results of this!

Also:

Well I’ll be damned, have I actually cracked how to setup normal road car suspension at last?!

3 Likes

cough 7 year UL mileage warranty cough :laughing:

Apart from that…fair enough in the review. :slight_smile:

Maybe next time… :frowning:

True, but Mitch was thinking ahead beyond those seven years. That’s where they’d get you :stuck_out_tongue:

And the manager would tell you that when new it would come with a DCT when new and that they have another used car with that exact spec if you wanted it :wink: although I didn’t send those specs over so disregard it lol. I’m starting to think how Mitch commenting on autos being nice means doom for the Kunai… probably should have sent it with the DCT in the first place. Damn it.

1 Like

again, i made a car too M.O.R. ALSO MY CAR IS BRITISH!!!

Reviews (The Finalists)

Alright so I’ve sorted through and narrowed it down to eight fine choices. But now to see how comes out on top!

Honorable mentions

@conan - 06’ Tishillyman Sagata Turbo

An impressive cruiser with suprisingly appealing overall package. But no one needs all that power.

@gridghost - 17’ Scarab Nova S

The Scarab is an impressive mix of performance and luxury that would impress anyone. But in the end I can’t justify the cost of the V8.

@phale - 17’ Adenine Valence Touring

An amazing piece of engineering packaged in an extremely appealing and highly competitive vehicle. That ultimately only just falls to cheaper and more fuel efficient compeition. Sometimes the cost of perfection isn’t worth it.

Final Five

@ramthecowy - 14’ Cavallera Kunai

Value for money packaged in a very competitive design that only just falls short of the more modern competition.

@DeusExMackia - 17’ Erin Merna 180Vox Touring

A British legend that continues to live up to its heritage and steadfast reliability. The charmingly styled Erin has plenty of character but on this occasion it can’t quite match up to the stronger competition.

@koolkei - 17’ Komodo Odoru L

An extremely smart choice, with levels of refinement comfort and fuel economy not expected at its price range. But the design sacrifices too much performance for efficiency and the quirky design just lacks the refinement of the very strong competition.

@Leonardo9613 - 17’ Bonham Chaucer 3.0 Elegance

Another British classic that brings an impressive overall package to the table and cannot be ignored with eyecatching styling backed up by impressive advanced technology. But I cannot help but feel that had Bonham send in their even more appealing Estate variant they might have scored the win.

@titleguy1 - 17’ Kimura Auriga KRS Auto

The quintessential Japanese brand reinvented with breathtakingly striking style crafted with keen eye for practicality. While other entries may have been superior in one area or the other none brought quite as exciting an overall combination. Kimura can stand with the best of them.

Congrats to @titleguy1 for the win! Thanks to everyone who entered this round.

20 Likes

Thank you so much for the win! I’ll whip up a competition very soon.

8 Likes

Second place. Again. I can’t even words.

Great work, @Rk38 and congratulations, @titleguy1

7 Likes

Excellent work @titleguy1 - as soon as I saw your ad I knew you would be on to a winner! Last time you hosted a round we were given the enviable task of building midsize sedans just like the one you submitted. What will you ask us to submit next? By the way, the Auriga reminds me of the new Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport, but with a more upmarket feel (and without a premium price tag, to boot).

CSR45 - Living Large

There comes a point in time in which people must maintain children. Years go by; more offspring are produced. Soon, a family could have 2, 3, or even more children.

Meet the Montera’s. They’re a family of 5; the mother and father, Kathleen and Dennis Montera, are 36 and 35 years old, respectively. They are Catholic, although they do not strongly follow their religion. Kathleen works as a lawyer for a major title insurance company. Dennis, in contrast, is a plastic surgeon. With an annual income of about $500,000 a year combined not including taxes, it’s pretty clear that money is not something they worry about too often. Their three children are Matthew and Rachel, twins who are 5 years old, and Jacqueline, who is turning 3. In addition, they have a Golden Retriever who goes by Winston.

The Monteras new house.

With the growing family and healthy income, a new home was certainly needed. Thus, the Monteras purchased a new, 3000 square-foot house in the Hamptons of Long Island, New York. Now, the Monteras need most is a new car. They’ve outgrown the R-Class; Mr. Montera still drives his 2014 Bonham Kashmir 3.0 Elegance, and he plans to keep it for another year or two. Mrs. Montera isn’t really liking her R-Class. It’s a bit too minivan-ish for her, so she needs a replacement. The Monteras, as you can see, have a bit of a large family, but are also well-off financially.

They prioritize comfort and styling; they refuse any car which they consider “ugly.” The Lexus LX is much too over styled for their tastes; The Acura MDX, too bland; The Infiniti QX80, tall, ugly, and ungainly; but the Audi Q7, Volvo XC90, Mercedes GLS, and Range Rover Sport all catch their eye. Mrs. Montera commutes to New York City every day, so you should avoid creating excessive overhangs on the front and rear of the car for easy maneuverability. Drivability is also prized when purchasing a car as large as this, but off-road is not much of a priority. Utility may come in handy when towing out their boat to the coastline. Fuel economy isn’t really all that important but please try and keep it above 20 US MPG.

Here’s a list of the requirements, suggestions, and weights.

Requirements

• Trim year must be 2017.
  • No semi-slicks and no quality sliders on the tires.
  • You can use up to 98 RON, but 95 is preferred.
  • ABS, ESC, and TCS are all a requirement. It is 2017, you know.
  • Sensibility is prized.
  • Catalytic converters are required as well.
  • At least 6 or more seats.
  • A minimum of 20 MPG.
  • You must post an advertisement. At the least a picture with the costs.
  • Engineering time limits (engine 175, car 120)
  • Production units limits (engine 100, car 180)

Suggestions

• Don’t make the car ugly, and put thought into it. It’s very subjective, but if the Monteras don’t like the way the car looks, they’ll dismiss it.
  • 6 seats may be a minimum, but try at least to get 7 or 8. 9 or more could negatively impact other factors.
  • A final cost of $60,000 to $80,000 with a 50% markup is a good goal, but there is no specific price minimum or cap.
  • As the car is being commuted, greater fuel economy could be a bonus.
  • Acceleration isn’t that important but don’t submit a slow car. Again, it’s 2017.

Weights

• Comfort, drivability, style, and practicality are of utmost importance.
  • Utility and prestige aren’t as important, but still play a decent role in the selection.
  • Sportiness doesn’t really matter much, but the Monteras won’t drive a boat either.

Please keep the naming scheme as such.
Model name - CSR45 - username
Trim name - [Insert anything]
Family name - CSR45 - username
Variant name - [Insert anything]

##Have fun, but be reasonable. Try to stand in the shoes of the owners, and decide what you want from there on out. Good luck to everyone!

The deadline is July 9th.

19 Likes

Looks at the Kaenguru

Mhhhhhhh

Deadline?

Fixed that for you; unless Dennis exclusively does emergency reconstruction, his is a highly litigious subspecialty :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I bet that the wife also needs a hefty insurance against mal-practice, lawyers are after all the first people to sue others :stuck_out_tongue:.

1 Like