The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

GG To @thecarlover I had a feeling as soon as I saw your design. :smile:

I totally forgot to tune the suspension :sweat_smile:

Congrats, @thecarlover!

1 Like

Wow, thanks guys! This win was rather unexpected
 good to see my companies would do well in the real world just with crossovers.

Now to think of the next round

7 Likes

Well, you know, if it can singlehandedly save Nissan
 :laughing:

4 Likes

#CSR46 - Y2Kei

It’s October 1999. Makoto Takahashi and his wife Kiko are expecting their first child around the new year. For this reason, the couple’s little 1991 Honda Beat convertible will need to be replaced with something more sensible.
On the crowded streets of Tokyo, Makoto and Kiko are looking for a new kei car that can seat four. The lower taxes will also help their income, with Kiko planning to be a stay-at-home mom for a few years and Makoto is a junior salesman at a local Saminda dealership.

With this in mind, Makoto and Kiko will take a look at the 2000 model year kei cars to buy something for the new year and their new family. They’re looking for something sensible for a young family that is also stylish and modern. Good economy is a must to keep up with the other savings on going with a kei car. Having a baby shouldn’t mean giving up on style, and it’s also time to leave the 90s behind and look into the new millenium.

The couple isn’t sure what type of kei car they’d like, whether wagon, hatchback, or even 4x4, so they’re going to be looking at anything sensible with space for their growing family.

##Rules

As kei cars have very specific requirements, I’ll list them out here:
Maximum length: 3.4 meters (11.2 feet)
Maximum width: 1.48 meters (4.9 feet)
Maximum height 2 meters
Maximum displacement: 660cc
Maximum power: 63 hp (47 kW) (rounding down under 63.5 hp is acceptable)
Maximum seats: 4

To make it simpler, here are all the 4-seat kei-regulation bodies to choose from:

(Notice: the 1950s Austin body with the 2.02m wheelbase can only morph within regulation with the wagon variants)

Be careful with your selection, 3.4 meters is an absolute maximum. I will cut cars for being 3.41 meters. Some of these bodies are only within regulations with certain morphs, so double check before submitting. The ‘Design’ tab at the end will show the overall length.
Width is tricky, so because I can’t get a measurement on that I will use judgement on wheel arches that aren’t ridiculously morphed, so be sensible with those. Kei cars are not performance machines and so they don’t need ultra wide tires.

###Additional rules:
Trim year set to 2000. Model and engine can be older.
Engine engineering time of 60 and production units of 40
Trim engineering time of 60 and production units of 100
Maximum price of $11,000 at 0%
Must be safe enough to sell in Gasmea (30 safety)
4 seats only with CD player
95 RON fuel
0-100 time suggested to be 25 seconds or less (not a hard limit)
Top speed at least 100 km/h
Post an ad for the buyers to see (screenshot with name and price listed above/under is enough)
Submit with typical naming scheme:
Model: CSR46 - yournamehere
Trim: company name, model name, trim name
Family: CSR46 - yournamehere
Variant: engine family/variant name

Feel free to ask me any questions, and I recommend doing some research on kei cars if you’re not too familiar with them.

##Deadline is Tuesday, July 18th at 11 PM EST (GMT-5)

16 Likes

I can’t seem to hit 80 trim production units without breaking the minimum safety.

A kei car? We’ve never been asked to build those before, but I’ll give it a try anyway. Anyway, what fuel types can we use? And must we set the trim and variant years to 2000, as stated in the rules post? Regardless, kei cars are at the total opposite of the size and price scale from the luxury SUVs of the previous round.

Edit: I also agree with increased engineering time and production unit limits for the trim. But what about fuel consumption and emissions? Are there any limits on those as well? At any rate, if I can send something in, it would most likely be sold under the the SMG nameplate. I would also suggest an increase in engineering time and/or production units for the engine. However, the test entry I just made, along with its engine, still comes in at under all the current PU/ET maximums, and is well under the power limit.

And now that I have an entry ready, I just have to make an ad for it before submitting

Agreeing With Grandea here.

ET and PU need to be upped in the Trim. It’s not possible with some of the bodies.

2 Likes

LLA may not have made kei cars until 2006 but the founders cousin Lee Turner lived in Japan and did have his own company

Contrary to popular expectations, I love the idea of the Kei car.

But I will definitely not be going full Strop on it :joy:

you can’t if you want to can you? 63hp limit. and no real sporty bodies available

Submissions already?

The rules are still subject to change.

Fuel octane will be 95 RON (between the 89 RON and 100 RON they use in Japan).

I’ll run further tests about the ET/PU limits and consider changes based on that. ET is likely to stay the same (the smallest, oldest body can get 30 safety with ET/PU to spare) but I’ll look into it.

I also added the good economy is an important factor for the buyers factor. Also set a ‘soft’ 0-100 time/top speed (they wouldn’t want a golf cart).

5 Likes

Okay, after feedback both in this thread and other places the rules have been amended for the last time.

###I suggest rereading the rules to be sure of the requirements.

From this point on, feel free to submit cars :slight_smile:
To those who submitted before these final amendments, you get a free revision to make sure everything is good. I haven’t opened any submissions yet.

##Edit:
I should mention that there will be some amount of storyline to the reviews, so if you’ve got a company thread you’d like for me to read please link it in the PM with your submission. If you don’t have a company thread, feel free to mention anything relevant about the company in the PM for me to possibly include in the review.

Not a rule or requirement in any way, just throwing that out there for anyone who wants more personalised reviews. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

CONTENDIENTE PULGA MK3: The kei car of the Millenium.

(Advertisement for the car)

Light. Practical. Easy to drive. Comfortable, and with a touch of sportiness. Powered by a 660cc turbo I4, making 54hp, and accelerating from 0 to 100km/h in 12.9 seconds, we hope this car is everything the Takahashi family could ever need. This car is a fuel sipper, too: drinking only 4.33L/100km (54 MPG US).

Starting at 8100$ (917431 yen) with a 0% markup.

10 Likes

Are limited production or exotic parts (e.g. CNCed internals) penalised at all?

I’m having a huge dilemma. There are only 2 obvious body choices for modern “millennium” design. The eggshell design one (1.84m) has great aerodynamics (essential for good highway economy) but only 3 doors. While the boxy wagon has great practicality but it’s as slippery as a brick wall, which means disappointing mileage.

I wonder how important rear seat access is. And if the economy is important only in the “how many mpg the main stat said” sense.

that’s probably the big issue a lot of us are struggling with– I know I’m having the same conundrum. It’s like close to 15% difference in economy :frowning:

He has already confirmed there is no outright penalty to using a 3 door body.

Just realised a way to make this a very cool kei kar.

Fuck it, I’m going [rainbow][smartass]wildcard[/smartass][/rainbow]

1 Like

you mean
 @koolkei?

Sorry, I’ll see myself out. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes