The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

Im sorry, but that body is banned. Its too big. Also theres a list of bodies you can use at the rules.

1 Like

Dorifto_Dorito is right, that’s not on the list of kei bodies. Since you haven’t actually submitted it you still have the chance to make something following the rules.

I didn’t see my name on the list, did you receive my submission?

Not sure yet, I still have some to go through. I’ll release another list of entries tomorrow when there’s 24 hours left.

but it’s on the list though, unless you’ve discounted it later on

I think people were confusing it with the small SUV body.

yeah it’s got the same wheelbase (2.16m) and the length checks out, I just assume it’s too wide.

Mitsushita Kronos: The Retro.

Price new: $8,800

During the 1990’s, the 1950’s and 1960’s nostalgia was very strong, especially in Automotive Industry. Car companies such as Ossan, BKOO and Dearborn were all making their own retro style car, and with the introduction and success of a new reimagined FATI, it’s clear that retro design is thriving indeed.

Mitsushita also had their own retro style car during this period. In form of the big Mitsushita Classic reminiscing of the old 1950’s big Mitsushita.

And with the year 2000 approaching, the retro design doesn’t seem to lose traction anytime soon. Mitsushita decided to introduce it’s new retro car. Mitsushita Kronos.

Based on the popular Kei-car Mitsushita Kani. The Kronos was inspired by 1950’s Little British Cars such as Conan C22 and Vanquist V4. Smaller than either of those, the Kronos is a Kei-car through and through. It’s also very similar to the earlier 1990’s Ossan Unique Cars range, but those were bigger than Kei-regulation with 1000 or 1300cc engine.

Despite having the body that looks like it came from the 1950’s, it came with all the great features of then (2000) motoring. Airbags, Power Steering, 6 Speed Gearbox, ESP, Fuel Injection, Disc brake, Split folding seats, sunroof,
simple climate control and many other things that the actual 1950’s cars cannot offer.

Mitsushita went into trouble with making the Kronos as authentic as possible. Throttling is by cable, not electric drive-by-wire and the exhaust have been tuned to sound old-fashioned and not like a vacuum cleaner. The gearbox is floor mounted, however. And the interior is merely adequate, but they did put some retro touches on it, such as wood trim, retro stereo, and also some of the knob is made of bakelite-substituted material. The engine is 660cc, 45hp. It’s the same unit as those in the Kani. Light, efficient, reliable. The car itself didn’t cost more than a typical Kani, available from about $8,800.

Mitsushita Kronos was intended to be a limited production car, with 5,000 unit available only in Japan. But the demand for it was so great that Mitsushita decided to make another 25,000 with even more features such as Turbocharged engine, automatic transmission and various other electronic gizmo. The first 5000 sold out near immediately. The later 25,000 sold out a bit less quickly, but for the first 2 years the second hand value was higher than new.

These still command high price today (2017) with near no depreciation. As it combines great Mitsushita reliability and economy with acceptable performance and retro looks. It’s also been export out from Japan and became a popular second hand imports around the world.

7 Likes

might as well be Mitsuoka :wink:

2 Likes

they’re both on there, though. hence my confusion as to why it’s not allowed

11 Likes

The post was edited. The original car used the Honda City body, which is too big.

1 Like

i see. my bad

Original post had the wrong picture attached. That’s what happens when you have two saved cars that both look like carved cucumbers.

##24 hours to go!

I have entries from:

@conan
@DeusExMackia
@Mr.Computah
@Ornate
@Rk38
@Fayeding_Spray
@abg7
@muhfreedom1776
@titleguy1
@DoctorNarfy
@Dorifto_Dorito
@laffinghyena
@strop
@AirJordan
@HighOctaneLove
@JohnWaldock
@TR8R
@koolkei

If you’ve sent me your car but your name isn’t on this list, let me know.

If you’ve posted an ad but haven’t sent me a car, now’s the time to do so.

And if you’ve sent me a car but haven’t posted an ad, remember that it’s a requirement. No ad = no review.

4 Likes

Posted an ad, sent you my submission at the same time. Still not on the list…

Scarabs foray into the Kei market has resulted in the Reflex K. 60+ hp on 860 kgs or thereabout, throws the car to a 100 km/h in less then a lifetime, and the standard interior is luxuriously bland in it’s simplicity. It can be yours for a measly $8700.

7 Likes

I have sent a PM with the car file attatched and I have re-submitted my ad today (the old is deleted and may not have been seen by you so to save hastle I re-posted it.)

@LilRedRhyder and @LinkLuke he probably hasn’t had time to full sift through all submissions yet, and if you do want to notify him, please PM him rather than screeching about it in the thread.

3 Likes

Actually I did PM and him and am discussing some very odd behaviour his copy of the program seems to be exhibiting.
Thanks for your input @JohnWaldock, your kind and helpful tone is very much appreciated.

3 Likes