The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

I can’t believe it. \o/
The Ouarzazate has the perfect look and the right physique du role for the job :wink:
ZM put a foot in the door into the Anikatian market… good to know :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you @Rk38 for the round and for the “usual” extra action scene at the end, this time starring a ZM car (the Dolphine didn’t had this luck the last time you hosted, right?)

Unfortunately, I can’t host the next round. So… I guess the second arrived must host.

Thanks again.

Cheers!

7 Likes

Fab round, great artwork there @Rk38, see why we were kept waiting for so long! :grin:

1 Like

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the most cost-effective car (or van, in this case) won; hardly anything else offered so much space and comfort for so little! And yes, the epilogue was a time-consuming endeavor, but it was worth it.

Anyway, considering that I will be away from home for at least two more days, I will end up submitting an entry for the next round later than usual - if I submit it at all. At least I will have more competing entries to use as reference points…

Yep. Again. When will it end?

As for the end, Bonham does not encourage their vehicles to be used in car chases. Unless they win, much like all instances of the Flemming’s starring role on the famous License to Kill movie franchise.

Since Norman can’t host the next round, I will do it. Already have something in mind, I just need to do a few test runs.

6 Likes

Lolol wtf does all of rk’s rounds end in carnage :joy: is this a thing?

I totally forgot to factor in the servicing costs over number of units… I just thought it’d be cheap enough! Didn’t realise it would add up so much. Then again, I’m not surprised that Norman and Leo we’re right up there since they are very strong at this kind of focus… even if Leo came 2nd for like the 8th time hahahaha

3 Likes

CSR49: California Dreamin’

1974, California. The sun shines, the weather is good, open your lungs and breathe in some of that lovely smog. Smoke fog, LA is covered on masses of that. So much so that you ain’t see nothing yet, because you can’t see through the thick pollution. In this context, someone realised that having heavy metals on the air might not be such a great thing and that perhaps having cars burn and spit it out was an even worse one.

Amidst all that chaos, the young couple Steve and Debbie were just leaving college and needed to purchase a car. Obviously, the car they wanted was stylish, fun to drive, comfortable, classless and desirable. And since they had just come out of college, Berkeley no less, they had a lot of debt. Therefore they also need something economical, cheap to run, cheap to buy and reliable.

They are both willing to search for the perfect car, the one that tells the best story and is the most coherent package. Unique and creative engineering is a big selling point.

Rules

• Year: 1974
  • Fuel: 91 RON
  • Engine emissions under 3900
  • Engine PU and ET under 37
  • Car PU under 80, ET under 35

Besides those rules, keep it coherent. Any approach is allowed here, there is no right or wrong. They want to be surprised, but they also don’t want to see mismatching choices (no 4 seat budget economy hatchback or hydropneumatic suspension with basic seats, please).

At the same time, they are not necessarily looking for min-maxxing cars, that extract the last bit of the budget. A well-rounded package, with coherent choices and good looks is what they are after,

Naming: Car Model and Engine Family must be named CSR49 - username. Trim and variant are free.

Deadline is August 23rd, 23:59 UTC.

Here’s some more music to get you into the 70s vibe.

18 Likes

This is giving me real Gone in 60 Seconds vibes (the original, not the remake)… But how safe does the couple want their new car to be? And how much should it cost with a markup added? Also, is there an explicit minimum fuel economy requirement?

Lol, next time I might as well just host a car chase round :joy: But I can say that carnage was back by popular demand. Oh, and the two chase cars were selected completely at random.

3 Likes

Perhaps you mean ‘classy’? :sweat_smile:

Hmm, there is a certain class of car that screams ‘California’ to me, but it gets murdered in Automation scores unless it gets special treatment.

It is all up to you to decide. Safety is important, but isn’t at the top of their priorities. Also, there is no budget and, as I said, no correct approach. Give me a car that is relevant, balanced and coherent, and if it can be wrapped under some kind of company lore, bonus points.

Low price and fuel Eco are two important points, as to how much you want to compromise to get them, again, up to you.

I thought college debt was much more manageable in the 70s? But I’ll get you your knock off Omni/Chevette, don’t worry.

2 Likes

I guess we could go for something miserable like a Pinto, Chevette or Omnirizon. But we also could go for Datsun 510, BMW 2002 Tii or Alfa Romeo Sports Sedan.

Or we could go for something else entirely!

2 Likes

Entry ready, just waiting on the rules to finalize. Sadly I’m leaving for a two week vacation on friday so I won’t know how I even did till I get back.

Dreadful 3 speed auto or not dreadful 3 speed auto, that is the question…

EDIT: Also is 37.1 PU on engine OK(ish) or…

1 Like

There are so few rules that I will impose them strictly, sorry.

37 should be more than enough to fit most sensible options and some not so sensible.

Also, rules were already finalised, entries were open since yesterday, so fire away.

5 Likes

Well, you say that, but there was the GLH which stood out.

1 Like

MY74 Bogliq Dingo Arrayo Edition

RRP: $13,990

Mmmmm… California. Sun, surf, sand and the freedom of the great outdoors. But how do you get there?

The solution is simple; buy a Dingo and you can go wherever your heart desires!

The added benefits of the Arrayo edition include:

Factory scotch-guarded cloth seats; just as durable as vinyl but won’t burn you!
Full interior rubber trimming; not just a couple of floor mats!
Bogliq USA 8 track player; no european imports from Moldova here, just quality American craftsmanship.
Easy to remove soft-top but you still retain the security of a lockable trunk.
Added reliability and efficiency of Bogflex fuel injection; just turn the key and hit the road!

Looking for adventure? See your friendly local Bogliq dealer about a Dingo Arrayo edition today!

Buy better, buy Bogliq

12 Likes

Omega BigHorn.
Stylish, capable, efficient.
With room for when your family grows, capability to haul when your family moves, and all the Canadian Reliability you’ve come to expect from Omega.
Fuel Injection will start you on the highest of the rockies, or in the coldest of winters, and give you superb smog control, all while using clean lead free fuel.
4 speed over drive manual column shift, with reverse lockout, gives you complete control over the torquey Inline 6, as you enjoy near open top comfort from the oversize sunroof. Tow your winnebago behind you with confidence on that trip to Yosemite, or take on route 66 on a coast to coast tour that won’t break the bank or the environment. BigHorn is your do all machine, but brings the comfort of your living room along for the ride.
With coast to coast support (and Alaska!) from our extensive dealer network, and a 3 year 50,000 mile warranty, you’ll be well looked after too.
It’s no wonder, BigHorn is “the best entry level full size you can buy for under $12,000”
Shown here in Chestnut Brown

8 Likes

@HighOctaneLove There goes my first idea! Back to the drawing board

1 Like

California. Home of the Pacific Coast Highway. A beautiful road made for cruising the nicest of drop top cars with the wind rushing through your hair. To cruise a road like this you need a supreme automobile that will go around corners like it’s on rails, this is where most American built cars will draw short. But, the LLA Bampton, an all new sports car from the home of affordable sports cars, England will dominate the corners whilst leaving your jaw dropped and wallet relatively full.

Starting at only $9,100 with 0% markup the Bampton offers a 2.1L inline 3 that outputs 90 Hp and 107 ft-ib’s of torque, coupled with a 5 speed manual transmission, pushing the car up to 110 Mph. Inside you will find 2 vinyl seats and an 8 track radio, so you can listen to I shot the sheriff whilst showing off the drop top to your beach babes. Finally with power steering you’ll find man handling the Bampton around the Los Angeles streets pain free and with 18 Mpg you won’t even need to fill up as often as the American Made competition.

Offered in either LLA Red, Poo Brown and Classic Creme you can buy your own LLA Bampton at Participating Dealers. Dealer prices may vary and LLA takes no responsibility for extortionate finance offers or Third Party damage.

7 Likes