The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

While my natural inclination was to use a torque convertor automatic for a car that was mostly going to be used in heavy urban traffic, @Strop’s hinted observation that their previous car was a sporty manual-only Honda Beat influenced me to go manual and all-round more sporty.

well, that would be for my gambit of gaining strong favour with Makoto-sama, I kind of worried that his better half (plus one!) mightn’t be so convinced.

Also most of us here are enthusiasts in some way or another, how often would we build a car we’d want to own ourselves and give it a slushbox…?

You have delivered a stunning set of reviews with the first batch. Keep it up! Anyway, I wasn’t expecting to have my car shortlisted for the next round of cuts.

I regret nothing. Thanks for considering the V6. I’m sure Makoto will give it another look in 15 years when he has a midlife crisis.

hey, i said high quality with out a high price, not high quality for pocket change :wink:

4 Likes

I’m guessing Mekong levels of cheap are a bit too cheap for Kiko and Makoto? :grin: Great reviews, looking forward to the next round!

2 Likes

The Reficio sacrificed a lot t̶o̶o̶ m̶u̶c̶h̶ for the driving experience only too be cut before it even gets a test drive…Oh the irony :joy:

Still, it was very enjoyable bunch of reviews and it was a nice touch to get the full perspective from Kiko and Makoto. Can’t wait to see how it all unfoldings.

2 Likes

i suppose u used the non-smart body…?

You should look at my earlier posts, you’ll find I didn’t!

now i see. i wasn’t aware the list of admissible bodies included workshop bodies as well. my bad

The convention with all competitions is that, unless stated otherwise, workshop bodies are allowed, with the exception of clearly exploitative designs like Barth’s bodies.

3 Likes

That’s where the list of legal kei bodies came in. I only allowed the ones that were sized within kei regulations and had the option of 4 seats. I figured it would be the easiest way to avoid a lot of entries that didn’t conform to the rules.

2 Likes

##CSR Reviews - Volume 2

@laffinghyena Hikigaeru

Next in the pile is Hikigaeru. That’s it, just a single name. Makoto figures it’s something like the Yugo, which is hardly the best image to come to mind for a new car. The ad mentions MinMaxi but there’s nothing about that on the brochure or the car in the photos. Strange. Could this be a company going through restructuring? Neither have heard of them before.

Makoto: Well, it’s, huh, classic? Like they just got a car together quickly with just enough to be street legal.

Kiko: I think it looks unfinished.

Under the hood of the Hikigaeru is a 660cc turbocharged I4 producing 63 hp. Power is sent to the front wheels and makes use of a 5 speed manual transmission. The ad compared it to riding a shopping cart, which is certainly not inspiring much confidence in the Takahashis. The only thing high tech seems to be the overly advanced suspension system, designed well beyond the requirements of a kei car. The fuel economy of 4.7L/100 km is pretty good, whereas the price of ¥1,108,602 ($9900) seems quite steep for what’s offered. Makoto places the brochure in the pile destined for recycling.

@LilRedRhyder Omega Sparrow Comfort+

Omega’s kei offering, the Sparrow Comfort+, is the next car to be reviewed by the couple. It took them awhile to find the unknown dealership on their afternoon outing. It’s possibly the curviest offering so far, fitting the cute image the ad suggests. The large selection of colours is a good choice as it would make it easier for Makoto and Kiko to find something to agree on. Opposites attract, right?

Kiko: It’s so cute! I love it! It’s like a Pokémon, or maybe a Digimon.

Makoto: It does look pretty modern, especially compared to the last car. I have to say, the dark colour is quite nice.

Kiko: You know I prefer the bright colours, but it’s really not bad.

Omega’s put a 660cc naturally aspirated I3 under the hood, and it produces 62 hp. Quite the usual here. Omega’s also given it a 6 speed manual transmission to power the front wheels. Not quite as usual here, and Makoto likes the idea while Kiko shakes her head. He knows it’s not what they’re looking for even if he’d love it. The premium interior is a nice touch that looks like it could be quite comfortable for years to come. The 5.38L/100 km it achieves isn’t on the good side of average, while the asking price of ¥1,231,148 ($11000) is right at the top of their budget. The Takahashis decide that comfort anachronism of a 6 speed manual and a premium interior is not worth it for something at the top of their budget, so the brochure is placed in the recycling pile.

@4LGE Taore Z-Zip

Next in the pile is the brochure for the Taore Z-Zip. It was hard to miss the vaguely threatening double billboard ad for this one. While Kiko wasn’t quite interested in it, Makoto convinced her to at least get a brochure and see what it had to offer. All these unfamiliar companies, especially Japanese ones, a really getting to Makoto. He’s starting to doubt his status as an enthusiast.

Kiko: As I said when I saw the ad, I’m just not into the aggressive look of it.

Makoto: It’s where a lot of car designs are going nowadays. If we get this one we might be ahead of the curve on design.

The Z-Zip makes use of 660cc turbocharged I4 producing 63 hp and uses a 5 speed manual transmission to power the rear wheels. The fuel economy of 7L/100 km is the second worst so far and the Z-Zip doesn’t have AWD as an excuse for it. This is another of the kei offerings with a seemingly comfortable premium interior, something both Makoto and Kiko can appreciate. The brochure mentions a ‘screaming I4’ and ‘howling turbo’ that along with some of the specs make the Taore Z-Zip appear to be designed as a sporty yet practical kei offering catering more for the youth. WIth a price of ¥1,165,580 ($10400), Kiko relents that it just might offer enough as a family vehicle. Makoto places the brochure in the pile for revisiting.

@Grandea Zenshi Mikli CR-G

Next in line is a brochure from the widely renowned Japanese company Zenshi, who offer the Mikli CR-G for the kei market. Makoto was especially excited for this one, as Zenshi is known for their driver-focused cars. This one, however, seems to be like many other modern and stylish kei boxes and that’s just what the Takahashis are looking for in their new car. The ad emphasises improvements over the last generation of the Mikli, which is still a common sight on the roads.

Makoto: I like this. Crisp and modern.

Kiko: The sliding doors seem useful, and I like the choice of colours for this one as well.

The Zenshi uses a 660cc naturally aspirated I4 that produces 48 hp. Power is sent to front wheels and it uses a 5 speed manual transmission. That must be part of Zenshi’s driver-focused design, or just following what seems to be a new trend for the new millenium. The economy of 6.13L/100 km isn’t spectacular while the price of ¥1,097,865 ($9800) is leaning slightly toward the high side of the market. What stands out as an issue to Makoto is the brochure listing 6-piston front brakes. That’s going into track car territory! Even with the widespread dealer network and reputable quality, the Zenshi Mikli CR-G is just not the car the Takahashis are looking for. The brochure is placed with the others destined for recycling.

@Leedar Bord Bronto Jr S

The next brochure belongs to the Bord Bronto Jr S. Kiko was the one who saw the ad for this one in a magazine and even she recognised the Bord name, but not for kei cars. Further inspection showed that Bord partnered with the Japanese Matsubashi to produce a kei-size homage to their iconic 4x4, the Bronto.

Makoto: Now this is interesting. Classic American 4x4 turned into a kei car. SUVs are becoming quite popular, so this could be a way to keep up with the trends.

Kiko: I’m not feeling it all that much, I still don’t think something AWD is worth it.

Contrary to its looks and heritage, the Bronto Jr is actually a rear wheel drive design. It uses a 659cc naturally aspirated I4 producing 63 hp and a 6 speed manual transmission. The standard interior is a mix of Ameircan ruggedness and Japanese modernity, creating a nice fusion design. For an SUV design, the achieved 4.68L/100 km is fairly impressive while the low price of ¥952238 ($8500) is certainly attractive. The Bord dealership will get another visit for a test drive.

@Nomade0013 Gamma Mico AWD

The Gamma Mico AWD is next in line for review. The Brazilian company is quite well known outside of Japan, but their entry into the local market was unknown until Makoto spotted the ad. In hindsight it did make sense since Gamma mostly makes cheap, efficient cars. Could Brazilian ideas translate well to Japanese sensibilities, especially in terms of kei cars?

Makoto: I like this one. Rugged and modern.

Kiko: Another AWD kei car. I know you’ll want to drive it, but I still have doubts. I do like the looks, especially the big headlights.

The Mico uses a 660cc naturally aspirated I3 that produces a solid 51 hp while the AWD makes use of a 5 speed manual transmission. The real surprise for the Takahashis was the economy figure: 4.67L/100 km. That seems excellent for an AWD kei car. Makoto had an easier time convincing Kiko of trying this one out, especially when it only cost ¥997,272 ($8900). Maybe there is something to these Brazilian cars. Being strange but hitting all the right points mean the Mico’s brochure gets placed into the pile for a second visit.

@Speedemon Govinda iE1 City

The next brochure is for the Govinda iE1 City, the first Indian kei car to be seen so far. The magazine ad captivated Kiko in its apparent versatility. Govinda’s been a decent player in city cars for nearly a decade, so the couple hope that this offering will be a good one.

Kiko: I really liked that ad, this one seems quite versatile.

Makoto: I agree, and I’ve seen a decent amount of Govindas around and this new iE1 looks very stylish.

The iE1 uses a 660cc naturally aspirated I3 producing 51 hp. As usual, power is sent to the front wheels through a 5 speed manual transmission. Fuel economy is a respectable 4.48L/100 km. Beyond this, things get a little strange. The basic interior is not the level of comfort the Takahashis are looking for, but then the suspension uses some fancy electronic components seemingly to provide some comfort on the road that the basic interior cannot. The four-piston front brakes are also excessive for a kei car. Makoto figures the suspension and brakes are the cause of the ¥1,086,972 ($9700) price tag as he places this brochure in the recycling pile.

@TheElt BM Pea-L

The next brochure belongs to the BM Pea-L. BM is another of the brands that the Takahashis have never heard of before, which could be explained by the bus stop ad saying it’s their first foray into the Japanese market. The stark contrast between black and red was enough to catch Makoto’s eye when driving to lunch, prompting the visit to the dealership for a brochure a few hours later.

Kiko: I wouldn’t really say it’s cute but I do like how it looks.

Makoto: It’s pretty modern, I’m just wondering about the ‘debadged’ look. How is BM supposed to gain a reputation when they sell their cars without badging?

In terms of performance, the Pea-L is perfectly average. A 660cc naturally aspirated I4 produces 46 hp being sent to the rear wheels via a 5 speed manual transmission. This is one of the rare RWD choices, so Makoto is hoping for dynamic performance as Kiko shakes her head yet again. Both do agree that the premium interior and electronics would be a bonus that stays current for years to come. They had agreed that family needs would come first. The fuel economy of 4.58L/100 km is quite average while the price of ¥1,231,148 ($11000) is as high as they’re willing to go. Even with the high asking price, the Takahashis think the BM Pea-L offers enough to be worth considering. Looking forward to the test drive, Makoto places the brochure in the pile to revisit.

@AmaSlay Garou Smoky SE

The Garou Smoky SE finds itself next in line. Garou is a widely known Japanese company using AWD in all their models, so the Takahashis expected no different from their kei offering. The ad emphasises the Smoke as ‘Mighty!’ so the couple were very much expecting something a little more rugged than the average Garou.

Makoto: Now this is a modern design. It looks both rugged and sporty.

Kiko: Neither of those are traits we’re really looking for, but I like it too. Looks like something for the new millenium.

The Smoky SE has a 657cc turbocharged I4 lurking under the hood, producing a healthy 63 hp. Garou’s famous AWD system is then paired to the ubiquitous 5 speed manual transmission. With an economy of 5.8L/100 km, it’s one of the less thirsty AWD offerings seen today and so closer to the Takahashi’s daily needs. The reason for the low price of ¥1,039,359 ($9300) becomes apparent quickly: it does not offer a CD player. As one of the couple’s important points for a new car, since cassettes are well on their way out, the Garou SE’s brochure has nowhere to go but the recycling bin. It’s a shame, as Makoto would have liked it otherwise.

@gridghost Scarab Reflex K

The next brochure up for review belongs to the Scarab Reflex K. Makoto was already familiar with Scandinavian Car and Racing AB and of course was interested in taking a look at it after seeing the ad. The Scarab dealership was hard to find as Japan is far from its main market. It was tucked away near the small Contendiente dealership.

Kiko: The outside is definitely not bland simplicity. It’s quite aggressive.

Makoto: Yes, but it’s very modern. Could almost look like something out of 2005. Besides, what’s wrong with a bit of an aggressive design? As long as it’s modern and stylish we should be good.

Scarab’s engineers have fitted the Reflex K with a 660cc turbocharged I4 producing 63 hp, which drives the front wheels with, you guess it, a 5 speed manual transmission. The interior is nothing outstanding, the typically standard design the Takahashis have come to expect, and it does seem livable. The economy of 5.22L/100 km does seem toward the high end for what the Reflex offers, making it lean a bit toward the wrong side of average. With a reasonable price of¥972,060 ($8700), there really isn’t much else to say about it. Makoto places the brochure in the pile for revisiting.

@phale Adenine AsanKei

American company Adenine provided the next brochure in the pile, with their AsanKei model. As Adenine focused on efficiency and handling for decades, it already made its mark on the Japanese market better than most other American manufacturers. The Asante has been a popular cheap yet practical car at the low end of the market, so a kei car comparing itself to that venerable model was certain to catch the Takahashi’s attention.

Makoto: The doors look like some of those new Mazda concepts at the auto show.

Kiko: It’s not the most attractive or modern design, but it seems like it’s very practical.

The AsanKei is powered by a 660cc naturally aspirated I4 producing 50 hp. The front wheels are driven by a 6 speed single-clutch sequential transmission, only the second seen so far albeit the previous one was a 5 speed. Neither Makoto nor Kiko have driven a car with one of these before, so while it seems like it might be strange it’s not getting discounted quite yet. Unusual transmission aside, the rest of the AsanKei is quite average with a fuel economy that’s a bit high, at 5.67L/100 km. The price of ¥1,017,426 seems pretty fair, so Makoto places the brochure in the ever growing pile for test drives.

@rcracer11m Mott Works Akari

The Mott Works Akari was the next brochure in the rapidly dwindling pile. This was another American company trying its hand in the Japanese kei market. As a company renowned for squeezing performance into even the most practical and mundane cars, Makoto figured the Akari might strike a balance between his preference and the family sensibilities that Kiko isn’t forgetting.

Kiko: Well, I don’t think this one looks all that modern. And the add talks a lot about efficiency.

Makoto: Yet again the Americans seem to be behind the times a bit. At least it doesn’t look bad.

As is to be expected, a 660cc naturally aspirated I3 producing 40 hp is what powers the Akari. Also expected is a 5 speed manual transmission sending power to the front wheels. It’s one of many offerings that offer the looks of an SUV with the mechanicals of a sensible car. Maybe this will catch on in the future? What makes the Mott Works Akari unusual is the full aluminium construction, with a glued aluminium chassis and aluminium panels. It’s certainly a drastic way to keep the weight below 700 kg and offer an excellent fuel economy of 3.6L/100 km. The asking price of ¥1,051,268 ($9400) seems pretty fair for what’s offered and Makoto is looking forward to trying out a car so much lighter than the Beat. They’ll be paying the Motts Work dealership a second visit.

@Leonardo9613 Ikkonogashi Bug 660L

Next in the pile of brochures is the Ikkonogashi 660L, a bright and curvy offering by one of Japan’s smaller companies. At this point the pile of brochures is shrinking like the sun on the horizon. Of the Ikkonogashi lineup of three kei cars, the Bug 660L was the one that seemed the best match to the couple’s future needs.

Kiko: I think it was a good idea to go for the ‘cute and stylish one’ from Ikkonogashi. I do like them.

Makato: It does manage to make curves look modern going into the year 2000, so I like it too.

The Bug 660L naturally makes uses a 660cc engine, in this case a naturally aspirated I4 producing 51 hp. Power is sent to the front wheels with a 5 speed automatic transmission, something Kiko is glad to see again. The real surprise is how the engineers at Ikkonogashi have managed to also fit a premium leather interior into the 660L trim while keeping the price at a decent ¥1,039,359 ($9300). Even as one of the heavier cars so far, fuel economy is a decent 5.12L/100 km. Makoto and Kiko agree that this one could possibly fit their needs quite well, so the brochure is placed with the others getting revisited later.

@stensen EBLM J0555-57Ab

A brochure with what appears to be a serial code is the next one in the pile. A closer inspection reveals that it’s the name of the kei offering by EBLM, a company neither had heard of until spotting an ad. Quite strange how many kei car ads from unknown companies can be found around Tokyo. The EBLM dealership was a strange one, where everyone seemed a little robotic in their demeanor while the place itself was very sterile.

Kiko: I still feel uncomfortable about that strange dealership.

Makoto: Yeah, me too, but at least the J055… thing isn’t so sterile. Quite a strange design, though.

Kiko: Can you imagine cars looking like that in 10 years or so? That’d be so strange.

Under the hood, the strangeness continues. The J0555-57Ab makes use of a 659cc V6 producing 63 hp, which is sent to the front wheels through a 6 speed single-clutch sequential transmission. Things get even stranger. The brochure talks up a a glued aluminium chassis, automatic locker, sport tires, no power steering, and basic interior. Probably going for some kind of ‘pure’ driving experience of a rally car? Regardless of the reason, the brochure is placed in the discard pile. The couple are glad to have a reason to avoid returning to the strange dealership.

@EnryGT5 Seishido Mizar AX Special

The next brochure is that of the Seishido Mizar AX Special. Both Makoto and Kiko are quite familiar with this popular Japanese company; enough to consider them a Mizar before seeing the ad. Unlike most other models, the Mizar is not brand new: it’s from 1993, with a major facelift in 1998. What is new is the AX Special trim, and it’s what caught the eye of the the Takahashis when the ad came up.

Makoto: As far as an older model goes, the Mizar AX Special looks really modern. They did a good job with this special edition.

Kiko: I like the ‘Amethyst Mica’ colour it has, and yeah, it doesn’t look bad.

The Mizar makes use of a 660cc naturally aspirated I3 producing 48 hp, which is sent to the front wheels via a 4 speed automation transmission. Other than cosmetic changes, improved suspension, and electronic stability control, the AX Special trim isn’t quite different from the regular models. The economy of 4.85L/100 km is quite good and the price of ¥895,776 ($8000) is one of the lower ones so far. Makoto naturally places the brochure in the pile for revisiting.

@TR8R NNCC Vanette

The next brochure is a strange one. The NNCC Vanette. This kei car is unlike any others, being a tiny camper van sort of thing. The ad for this one appeared online when browsing Ebay for unique items for the upcoming baby. No Name Car Company is completely unknown to the Takahashis, and the only dealership they found was not much more than a glorified kiosk in an outdoors superstore. Nevertheless, they got a brochure and figured it might prove interesting.

Kiko: This is strange. It’s another car that’s more classic than retro.

Makoto: Certainly not looking far into the new millenium here. I also don’t think we’ll need all these camping features.

The Vanette uses a 660cc I3 producing 43 hp, which is sent to the rear wheels via a 5 speed automatic transmission. Kiko does admit that the automatic makes this one more desirable to her. The full premium interior can be adapted into a small living or sleeping space. Neither can imagine camping going too well in such a small space, especially with more than one person. As an everyday car, it seems like it could be rather comfortable, while the fuel economy of 4.53L/100 km is far from bad. With a price of ¥1,165,434 ($10400), the Vanette seems to offer too much for camping and not enough for everyday driving for the Takahashis to consider it further. Into the discard pile it goes.

@koolkei Komodo Regaro

At long last, the final brochure to page through. It’s getting quite late at this point and the couple is ready to start their bedtime routine. Komodo is one of Japan’s eminent manufacturers, so it was only a matter of time before Makoto or Kiko spotted an ad for a kei offering. The full page magazine ad emphasised the offroad capabilities of the Regaro, but it was still worth looking at for city use.

Makoto: I know Komodo is a good brand and all, but this one looks really dated. Like something from a decade ago.

Kiko: I agree with you there. I still don’t see why you wanted to look at a 4x4 like this.

Makoto: Well, sometimes you never know…

The Regaro uses a 660cc turbocharged I4 producing 63 hp. It’s the only vehicle the Takahashis have looked at that offers a true 4x4 system, which is paired to the ever common 5 speed manual transmission. In true 4x4 manner, it’s got a manual locker, offroad skid tray, solid rear axle, and jacked up suspension. None of those things matter to the Takahashis. What does matter is the interior, which is on par with what they expect, and the decent economy of 4.56L/100 km. The Regaro is priced from ¥1,064,941 ($10500) and would be an excellent family vehicle if the couple were going to raise their newborn in the forest. As they live in Tokyo, the Komodo’s brochure is delegated to the discard pile.

After a long afternoon of visiting dealerships for quick glances at cars and to collect brochures, followed by an evening of looking through said brochures, the Takahashis are tired and retiring for the night. As Kiko takes the pile of discarded brochures to the recycling bin, Makoto collects the pile with the 19 brochures of cars they consider worthy of a test drive.

This is the moment of a tough decision. Makoto is aware of how long it will take to test drive all these cars, so he figures that in the morning he and Kiko could potentially go through them to eliminate the cars that don’t offer all that good of value in terms of asking price and fuel economy. But that’s a decision for tomorrow.

Congratulations to the following for making it through the initial reviews:

@Mr.Computah
@Ornate
@Fayeding_Spray
@titleguy1
@Dorifto_Dorito
@strop
@AirJordan
@HighOctaneLove
@JohnWaldock
@abg7
@4LGE
@Leedar
@Nomade0013
@TheElt
@gridghost
@phale
@rcracer11m
@Leonardo9613
@EnryGT5

17 Likes

Nice reviews and not too aggressive cutting (although more coming soon, I guess).

Further developing some regret over manual trans selection, but there was no way of knowing from the competition outline that they’d want to switch from a manual-only sporty style vehicle to something that was more sedate to drive, although it remains to be seen if that is an insurmountable obstacle. :slight_smile:

heh, yea, I specifically went after a softened feeling beat (a car I actually adore IRL). The suspension is very well tuned, and the engine is peaky in the top end (At the cost of fuel economy sadly.) I shoulda gone with an autobox!

I’d say your problem is that you went too expensive. For instance, switching to auto would have put you over budget without other adjustments (AFAICT). Maybe use some lower tech or otherwise cheaper parts (ignoring quality slider)? I don’t know how people can make premium interior affordable without cutting some corners.

Not a criticism, but an observation (which may prove helpful to others who are wondering why their car made it or got cut): The to-and-fro between Kiko and Makoto is generating quite a lot of variance in terms of their assessment of value for attributes and specific parts of the car that either qualify or disqualify them. Just as in real life, many cars that might seem suited just don’t generate the right kind of impression and so one thing on one car versus the same on another mean completely different things.

Consider for example:

(for a 4 speed auto)

and [quote=“thecarlover, post:8371, topic:6447”]
With an economy of 5.8L/100 km, it’s one of the less thirsty AWD offerings
[/quote]

but,

hard to judge in one of the only FR entries, but also note this car asks 11K

and yet

this may not be the case?

Price point, too, is treated variably, most notably:

because it’s fully equipped with premium

again equipped with premium… though with less enthusiasm because it seems to be geared towards hoonda nuts. And yet…

somehow this gets the cut, because you don’t put premium interior with a six speed manual… too unfocused?

With that said this seems to be the summary of the reasons why cars made it in or not. A couple of them I’m having trouble with just based on the reviews alone:

[details=Painful wall of text, click at own peril for editorialised editorial]Contendiente Pulga: kept. cheap, frugal
Mitsushita Kronos: cut. controversial classic styling
Mekong Tot: cut. too basic and too cheap
Accursio Bruco: kept. what sorcery is this! (just wait til you actually touch the door and start the engine huehuehue)
GBF Reficio: cut. too compromised to make it RR
Diode A2-b: kept. novelty ‘just in case’ factor of 4x4 without excessive compromise (the ol’ SUV ploy)
Kagama Daichi: cut. too unconventional and incoherent on most fronts
Kimura Kubic: kept. average without being offensive in any way
Nickel Fantastic: cut. very expensive, perhaps unnecessary luxury suspension
Nohda Bop!: kept. cheaper and average with the exception of low profile alloy wheels
MM Espresso: kept. Makoto want due to max fun factor, also cheap and still practical
Smooth Rekil: kept. slightly mystifying but also mostly average except it has i6 because smooth.
[color=pink]Bogliq Nano: kept. surprise factor of being more upmarket than expected somehow worked despite strange engineering[/color]
AutoMart AM-1: kept. mostly average except for unusual sequential and being relatively expensive
SMG CK60: kept. mostly average plus bonus it’s actually an auto without flaws
Hikigaeru: cut. more expensive than interior suggests, unnecessarily advanced suspension
Omega Sparrow: cut. most expensive, if going this premium it might as well be auto
Tapre Z-Zip: kept. premium and expensive but also a lot more sporty so the manual is forgiven
Zenshi Mikli: cut. poorer than average in key areas and then the 6 piston front brakes scared them off
Bord Bronto: kept. another SUV ploy, in very affordable and adequate package
Gamma Mico: kept. more AWD without being overly expensive or compromised
Govinda iE1: cut. strangely expensive for basic interior
[color=pink]BM Pea-L: kept. most expensive but premium but also manual but not that much power… what else is it hiding?[/color]
Garou Smoky: cut. no CD player
Scarab Reflex: kept. mostly average
Adenine AsanKei: kept. very practical, otherwise mostly fair except economy
Mott Works Akari: kept. advanced chassis gives superior economy which offsets price
Ikkonogashi Bug: kept. bargain for premium
EBLM J0555-57Ab: cut. too rally for family
Seishido Mizar: kept. competent and cheap AND automatic
NNCC Vanette: cut. too much camp, not enough city, pretty steep
Komodo Regaro: cut. ditto[/details]

After that wall of text, it seems that the entries are going to be divided into a few focus areas (which bears strong resemblance to the way I ran my CSR rounds): the Good Value (average competent decent price and fuel economy), the Sporty (of which my car seems to be the last one standing), the Premium (premium interior, more expensive), the Premium but a little Sporty (this segment confuses me, it probably will make Makoto and Kiko argue a lot), and the just-in-case SUV (AWD, 4x4).

6 Likes

I went for the premium ticket, that’s where most of the price came from. I’d have to go down to standard interior for the auto, budget wise. I had a feeling the field was going to be mostly basic and standard. I also might’ve spent a tic or two on the safety slider… wanted to stand out a bit from the crowd (can you hear me over the sound of how loud those vents are?) and played the cute card. I had 3 other kei’s to choose from in Omega’s line up (all in 4th generation).

Ehn you lose some, you lose some harder. :3

I think you’re making too many assumptions about what the vehicles are like by this relatively superficial first cut. I don’t know how heavy @thecarlover’s RP is in terms of playing ignorant of characteristics that the buyers learn later when making earlier cuts.

1 Like

Fair call. I should heavily emphasise that I’m speculating here, not actually trying to be the expert or stand in for thecarlover. The fun part is seeing how correct I actually turn out :wink:

1 Like