The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

Wow, I didn’t expect the little car to make it all the way to the podium!

Thanks to @DoctorNarfy for a great round both in premise and execution.

Plus it had such an explosive ending…and on that bombshell, it’s time to think of new round…

17 Likes

It’s time for a new daily driver for Mitchell Phillipps or Mitch to his mates. You may or may it remember him from their failed team effort in the Roulette Runner which nearly put poor Mitch’s back out or perhaps more recently in their more successful outing in the Kinda Grand Tour.

Where against all odds and in a state of pure delirium and utter exhaustion they managed to finish 4th place overall. But this somewhat smoother sailing event was more than enough time for Mitch to spend in a Maesima NL-992. So his sold it and is looking for a new daily. His a bit of wheeler-dealer and only a hobby mechanic.

He still lives in NSW on the Central Coast but has to commute into North Sydney daily part time so his hours aren’t too bad. He works as a Maintenance Officer and for those that care he is a Gemini born June 4, 1973. He is divorced so he never really has to worry about the kids. Although a few times a week he might need the extra seats.

So a 2+2 should be enough but that’s up to you. Perhaps like that old 90’s Seishido Rigel affordable coupe he owned back in the day. That said he would kind of prefer to avoid the ‘Midlife Crisis Car’ so as to prevent that disdainful look and eye rolling from his ex when he goes to pick up the kids.

He’s already got a 1990 Seishido Grandcab ute for any hard yakka. So he doesn’t need or want the discomfort of a ute. He’s looking for something that can handle the commute to Sydney. So automatic could be handy but then again he still wants to have some fun. Something that brings back the joy like when he owned that 90’s Kimura Auburn KRS with that punchy 2.2L engine.

Now Mitch has never owned a brand new car and that’s something he would be interested in but his more familiar with used cars. While older cars probably easier to work on without all the “stupid sensors and crap” of new cars. The new car shouldn’t really require any work plus have capped servicing and warranty.

Alternatively, for the wildcard options, you could try and create the perfect 4x4 that still somehow makes it around town without turning into a crossover. But for the truly daring minmaxers out there can try to create a vehicle that can replace his work ute and his daily in what will have to be a very impressive all around package.

It’s up to you to find the right solution. Now his previous car history at least last three cars will and current wildcard option have been included for comparison but it’s expected that any new cars should far exceed these in every way.

##Car History

His last car was the dearly departed 1992 Maesima NL-992 Deluxe Touring. A change of pace for him trying a big rear wheel drive luxury car but it was cheap and comfy although not that great on fuel and it was a bit of hassle to park. But the NL-992 could just eat up the kilometres. On the occasional festive trips back to Victoria to see the family the cruise control and plush seating made things a joy.

Before that he owned a chipper little 1983 Erin Merna S 1.4 which was so easy to drive and surprisingly reliable especially with all the stuff you hear about British cars. While it didn’t look too different from the run of the mile competitors. Once you actually started driving it revealed plenty of character. The sort of self-assured British feel that actually made it rather fun little runabout. Fairly good on fuel too and fun to throw into corners. Sure it was probably a deathtrap safety wise but how else are you going make your car light and front wheel drive machine.

Way back before that Mitch owned a really great 1987 BMMA Dolphine 1.9TS sure it wasn’t that awesome two door coupe that everyone wanted. But the TS packed a punch all wheel drive turbo it was all the rage before the WRXs stormed the market. Mitch kind of regrets selling it these days because it was a great all rounder and they are starting to get rare now. Great power off the line and ok fuel economy, plus a fairly plush interior.

##Wildcard Option

Currently Mitch’s only car a 1990 Seishido Grandcab 3.0L V6 tray top. It’s just a basic workhorse but you know how tough and dependable those Japanese brands are and it’s no different with Seishido. It may have a very basic interior and a rather harsh ride but it’s all put together pretty well and never let him down. It’s only a rear wheel drive model but works well enough although it can get a bit tail happy on wet conditions without a load on the tray. Mitch would be sad to see it go but if the right vehicle came along…who knows.

The Basic Rules

• Stable build or open beta. Just let me know which build your car comes from as I’m using the the open beta.
  • No restriction to body style.
  • No restriction on the number of seats, but 2+2 would be wise and any more than 5 would add no benefit.
  • Trim year: 2017 for new models, 1973-2016 for used models. (model and engine family can be older although anything older than himself would be struggling I mean he’s already starting to fall apart so choose wisely.)
  • Fuel type can be up to 95RON, but 91RON is more common and would be preferable.
  • No semi-slicks. It’s not a race car.
  • Be sensible it’s a daily car after all.
  • All new cars require ABS and ESC
  • Basic infotainment is the bare minimum.
  • Design is kinda of important. Mitch knows what he wants and doesn’t want to look like complete bogan.
  • You will have to balance performance, comfort, reliability, safety, economy and running costs will all be looked at along with practicality, sportiness and driveability.
  • Catalytic Converter required on post-1975 modern cars.
  • Engineering time limits (engine 95, car 95)
  • Production units limits (engine 95, car 135)
  • No limits on sliders (plus or minus) but our client won’t take kindly to shoddy build quality.
  • Price a maximum budget of <$30000 (+0% markup) Total cost in the spreadsheet must not exceed $200,000. That includes servicing and running costs so please check it out when making older cars. That said it is expected that most cars should be well under the price caps. The lower the costs the better just don’t go too budget.
  • You must post an advert for your car with price (just needs to be a photo with full vehicle name and price)

Usual Naming Convention

Model: CSR44 - username | Trim open
Engine: CSR44 - username | Trim open

Deadline

Wednesday 28th at 11:59 pm UTC + 10:30.

Thanks to @DeusExMackia, @NormanVauxhall, @EnryGT5, @strop, @titleguy1 for helping me out with the cars, docs and advice.

18 Likes

As a former local I’d just like to point out that this means at least 130km each way, and some segments of the M1 are, AFAIK, still poorly paved and rather rough concrete which generate a lot of rumble and road noise. And if you’re going with traffic, as this brief implies, it’s going to be pretty busy and also have quite a few lorries, semis, and the occasional B-double. In other words, it was by far my least favourite part of my road trip in the MX-5 NB, where most everything looked liable to kill you and there was a lot of it (so don’t submit an MX-5 :joy: )

6 Likes

Haha, damn I forgot how big the central coast is :sweat_smile: I was thinking more let’s say Budgewoi to Hornsby roughly speaking. It’s over some totally rubbish noisy roads. So take note on your Australian suspension tuning people :wink:

It’s true the M1 can get pretty hectic but you can take the old Pacific on parts if you have time and that lends itself to more spirited driving assuming you don’t get caught out by the police because of the road is also poorly maintained with a woefully slow speed limit to boot.

Other thing to point out to non 'strayans here, there’s no such thing as ‘flow of the traffic’ here. You go 5km/h over the limit, you’re liable to get busted. You should hear Mark Webber on the subject. And don’t get me started on people in the overtaking lane driving slower than everybody else…

Our speed limits are between 50km/h to 70km/h for suburban and urban areas, 80km/h for main arterials and some highways, and 90-110km/h for freeways. Unless you’re in the NT.

3 Likes

At least in NSW they tell you where the speed carmeras are even those stupid mobile ones. While in some other states…looking at you SA. They don’t even bother to tell you about them then they keep lowering the speed limits to raise their revenue.

These values seem a little too tight for 2017 in my opinion… But should they be increased, or simply left as-is?

Also, will a catalytic converter be required?

And:

I take that to mean standard infotainment as the bare minimum.

I guess the client isn’t that interested in an eco turbo DI with VVL? :stuck_out_tongue:

Also you can’t sell a production car in Australia without a cat, so I’d assume a cat is mandatory.

3 Likes

I’ll try to see if I can squeeze a Dynamite into the running.

@abg7 I’d think a catalytic converter would be required in 2017. You’re not making a Volkswagen here.

7 Likes

Cat is required.

I’ve adjusted to $30K (0%)
Engineering time limits (engine 95, car 95)
Production units limits (engine 95, car 135)

Also, check the google doc, for comparison with all the previous cars owns by Mitch and all the extra costings stuff will factor in especially for comparing older entries vs new ones.

2 Likes

I don’t quite understand - does depreciation factor into the max budget at all?

1 Like

I swear I knew you from the days gone by…

7 Likes

volken. dat car

i know i know, it looks similar to something. we will be honest and say we used their chassis to build the car, that way we cut engineering.

and no we are not a Chinese copy paste machine
hear me out.

v8
flatplane
turbocharged
600 hp
AWD
top speed 320 km/h

3 Likes

A compact sports hatch for you.
Just $21,000.
Paddle shift twin clutch transmission with integrated Limited Slip e-Differential gives you instant shifts and direct control.
Thoroughly modern engine achieves 45 MPG without the use of lagging turbos or giving up that classic V6 Snarl.
Safe, Practical, Handsome, with a big warranty, and rust guarantee rivaling anything to come from Germany.
Born of one British Colony, built for another.
The Omega Archer GT - The hatch is back, baby.

1 Like

To expand on @phale’s question, what exactly is the spreadsheet being used for?

1 Like

@phale and @Leedar Good points. I forgot to mention that while a new car must not exceed 30,000 @ 0% in game.

Total cost must not exceed $200,000 and you will have to use that spreadsheet to compare entries and actual costs to simulate total service and running costs.

So older cars will be getting the penalty for higher running and servicing costs which should balance things out.

3 Likes

Does this mean 2017 is the latest trim year rather than the only trim year? A 1995 model with a 2017 trim is basically a 2017 car as far as in-game stats go… (AFAIK)

Oops, forgot to edit that.

Yeah, used is anything from 1973-2016. While new cars should only be 2017 trim

1 Like

Hmm… 1985 Dynamite C1 “Space Chaser” or 2017 Dynamite D7 SUV… Tough decision…

21000 @ 0%
Total Cost: $123,794.98
I’d say that’s at least competitive on the numbers? Not used to the spreadsheet thing…