The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

Oh wow, did not expect that win whatsoever!

@phale this was certainly a great and unique round (even with all the small convertibles).

Now to figure out CSR51 :thinking:

3 Likes

Nice one Steph. You seem to be getting pretty regular on the winnerā€™s step here.

We are now at post 8762, so probably have another 4 or 5 rounds in it before we have to migrate to a new thread.

So Iā€™ll ask now, does anybody have anything about the general rule set or the way these rounds run etc. that they feel need changing? As of late things seemed to be chugging along pretty alright as it wasā€¦

1 Like

I believe that this contest should be left as-is - there is absolutely nothing wrong with it right now.

Edit: I recognize ā€œBorn To Be Wildā€ from the old Genesis/SNES game Rock 'n Roll Racingā€¦ and since it reminds me somewhat of muscle cars, and performance cars in general, it could be possible that the next round will feature thoseā€¦

While I organise the ruleset for CSR51, have some motivational music (and a bit of a hint)

3 Likes

Soā€¦ econobox? :sunglasses::ok_hand:

1 Like

that was so pissass that not even a ā€œyou triedā€ sticker was even worth handing out

CSR51 - Burninā€™ Rubber

Letā€™s start with a bit of music:

Itā€™s June 1968, and Chazz has just failed his last year of high schoolā€¦ again. Heā€™s recently turned 18 and has had enough of the drag that high school is. Itā€™s time for him to drop out and ask his uncle about that full-time job at the tire factory. Heā€™s been working as a part-time dishwasher at the roadhouse near the interstate and managed to save up enough money to buy a brand new car.

The job at the roadhouse has had him looking at the large, sleek, and powerful coupes and convertibles go through and how the ladies seem to gravitate toward the men who drive them. Meanwhile, his dadā€™s old 1959 sedan that heā€™s been driving since turning 16 is getting the worse for wear and is certainly not the most dynamic car for him, especially with its two-speed automatic and less than powerful I6 engine. The stories from the men with those cars are also inspiring to him, especially those about the drag races on dark empty streets during the night.

Chazz is interested in getting a new muscle or pony car for some fun driving and as an in with the ladies. With the job at the tire factory heā€™ll be getting, running costs are not a concern, only performance and being able to do some fun burnouts (and the occasional drag race). Heā€™s also looking for something that looks really good to get peopleā€™s attention, and a back seat for some nightly activities. While getting a licence is easy, Chazz is still a young driver without much experience, so he canā€™t have anything too hard to drive.

Rules

• 1968 trim year only, model and engine can be older
  • Maximum $14,000 at 0% markup
  • Engine: 45 engineering time, 55 production units
  • Trim: 45 engineering time, 90 production units
  • Must have a back seat (seat at least 4) and a stereo
  • Front or rear engine only
  • No FWD layouts
  • No semi slicks
  • 92 or 98 RON leaded fuel
  • At least minimum engine cooling
  • At least 20% wheel spin for burnouts
  • Ad require (at least one screenshot) with make/model and price

No CaptainD00m or Barth mods allowed (including the extra rear engine bodies mod).

Naming

• Model: CSR51 - YourName
  • Trim: Car name
  • Family: CSR51 - YourName
  • Variant: Engine name
Please read the brief for the best insight into the buyerā€™s preferences.

Deadline: Sunday September 17th, 12 PM EST

23 Likes

First time Iā€™ve seen that rule. :laughing:

Well shit, there goes the entire Adenine lineup :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Mate, your guy Chazz works at the Roadhouse and you chose a Doors song that wasnā€™t Roadhouse Blues?

TRIGGERED

11 Likes

You may not have been around for previous, independent muscle car challengesā€¦ they too also had minimum burnout rules :sunglasses:

NMI Arrowhead GTX: 7.5 Liters of Mayhem

Big engine, small car - thatā€™s the NMI Arrowhead GTX in a nutshell. It may have all the bells and whistles inside, including power steering, but the most important bit is the 7.5L big-block V8 sitting under the hood, with loads of power and endless torque throughout the rev range. And with a shaker scoop, front airdam and rear lip spoiler, it also looks the part. All this muscle can be yours for $13900 before markups - a bargain considering that this car has enough straight-line thrust to rival an Apollo rocket lifting off from Cape Canaveral. We havenā€™t forgotten about braking and cornering, though - 4-wheel independent suspension and disc brakes all around ensure that the Arrowhead can turn and stop on a dime. So what on earth are you waiting for? Get your order in now and try the new Arrowhead GTX today!

9 Likes

Roadhouse Blues was released in 1970. Itā€™s 1968.

1 Like

Forget the musicā€¦how long has he worked part time to save $14,000?

:laughing:

1 Like

Part time factory, part time hustler :joy:

1 Like

I knew it! I guessed correctly that ā€œBorn To Be Wildā€ pointed towards this round being about muscle cars - the polar opposite of the Kei cars you asked us to build the last time you hosted.

As for my entryā€¦ well, letā€™s just say that I was trying to do what the Big Three never quite managed to accomplish nearly 50 years ago - put a 7.5L V8 into a Camaro-sized bodyshell (the largest ones were 7.0L to 7.2L in displacement) - while still leaving enough in the budget to add some creature comforts.

Lore-wise, it ought to tie into the evolution of the Arrowhead; just like the '87 model (which I submitted for CSR37), the '68 model sticks to the time-honored formula of a big engine in a small car, at a relatively modest price.

Realistically speaking, the cars would cost maybe $3000 at the most in 1968 money. You know what it was like for baby boomers, just stumble into a job and buy a house in their 20s without even a high school diploma. :stuck_out_tongue:

For all we know heā€™s saved enough for a down payment and will use the factory job to finance the rest. But that isnā€™t exactly relevant info about the buyerā€™s tastes, so I left it out.

1 Like

TouchƩ :sunglasses:

Kingston Automotive presents the Chiser 8.2

Thatā€™s right, you though 7.5L was a lot!

All your friends will be in awe of the stroke and bore of this Mechanical V8ā€¦
A true manā€™s car, made of steel, with a complementary H-pattern four speed box!

Retail Price of $14000, buy yours now.

6 Likes

The displacement wars are startingā€¦

5 Likes