The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

Did… Did I actually make a slightly competitive trackday minivan? Christ.

Loving the reviews so far though, excited for the next set!

5 Likes

Very late entry means an even later ad.

It is back.

##Presenting (again) the Baltazar Zeppelin.

Our Belgian customer already had one of these cars, in 1.9 Lux trim, in his garage, having heard he would appreciate an even more hardcore option, we decided to show the car that had just appeared on the used car lot at the dealership, in 1.9 Hydrogen spec.

The Hydrogen Zeppelin was the track-focused model of the range. With a simpler, more focused interior, no radio, lowered, stiffened suspension, uprated brakes and tyres, 30 more hp and an even higher redline, this car is the perfect first track day car. Together with the original all-aluminium chassis and body, double wishbone suspension all-round and MR layout, the car is supreme fun to drive, yet controlable,all with great fuel economy and reliability.

This lovely orange 2011 1.9 Hydrogen model shown sits in the used car lot for just $14,970 (I couldn’t believe myself how close it was to the max price).

13 Likes

I don’t know how the brakes are off, but I accept your opinion, you’re the client :wink:

Here, yes, you’re right. All the Gamma cars are more or less like that, they are good in everything, so you can make it matches you with the rest of the money.

Great reviews, very consistent!

1 Like

The ZS36 would make a great drift car with its oversteery balance…

And props to @Dragawn for a set of reviews that are blunt and to the point!

1 Like

awesome reviews bro. loving it!

1 Like

Latecomer ad due to illness (I hate going from day shift one day to night shift the next!!!)

I’m not sure if there’s a Craigslist scene in Holland. So this may be inauthentic. But still, here’s a classified!

#Great on Track, Still Good on Road - 2005 OranjeAuto Lelijk Touring - $15000ono (Haarlem- North Holland)

Want a road-legal, classic roadster without the wind messing up your hair? A two seater sports car you can really chuck around without breaking your back on the ride? One that can corner as hard as an MX-5 but can keep up with the big boys on the straights? But still has a radio and CD player? That won’t burn a hole in your pocket at both low and high speeds? And won’t crumple up like a plastic trash if you (God forbid) bin it?

Then you should consider this! 39k€ when new, this is the touring trim, which has the CD player and air-con as stock. Yes, everybody thinks it’s ugly. Even the makers know it’s ugly, (just look at the name), but you don’t go to a track day to be anonymous, right? And yes, you have to get really low to sit in the car, but that’s part of the sporting experience, and aside from that it’s actually pretty nice! You can even daily it in the winter months, the tyres are just sports 245/50R16s all round so they’re pretty easy to find and rotate and you won’t suffer in the wet, and if that’s a problem, the Touring came with TC and ESC. Did I mention it can actually fit a suitcase?

After 12 years of frequent visits to Zandvoort, occasional longer road trips, and impeccable service record, I am regretfully selling because wife and I have twins on the way and garage space has to be rearranged! Will take 15k€ ONO, serious buyers only. Welcome buyers from other countries, just email to arrange time first. Need to sell by October, or before the EU falls apart!

• do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers.

##Data/Specs

13 Likes

Give use hsots of the braking graph?

I’m glad that you guys enjoy the (sometimes a bit too blunt (whoops)) reviews! :innocent:

OH, whooops, my bad, you’ll be reviewed first today.

@Nomade0013 Atleast this is how it’s on my end:
2 piston front, 3 piston rear:

Setup that wouldve worked imo: 3 piston front, 1 piston rear:

6 Likes

Thanks for taking a time to explain that for me, @Dragawn! I totally forgot about the brake graphic and I went totally for stats and brake fade :sweat_smile:

@koolkei, I would send a pic, but only tomorrow when I would get my pc and Dragawn already did it for me, thanks anyway.

4 Likes

I think your engineer switched the front and rear disc brake :joy_cat:

5 Likes

Wait…you mean to tell me the drums don’t go on the front of the car? And I’m guessing the discs don’t go on the back either?

Just kidding y’all. :smirk:

3 Likes

OK, now that’s pretty awesome looking, strop!

3 Likes

bah! always the brakes with me. and the downforce may have been a little excessive, but lap times, breaux.

The Orange Car Ugly? :joy:

I’m pretty sure lelijk is an adjective though

2 Likes

We’ll take out Demon back and put it in the UnderBarn.

Thank you for not killing yourself.

FTi will be back when the time is right!

:laughing:

2 Likes

Yes, I picked an adjective for the car. While most cars are named after nouns, there are those that could be said to be named after adjectives (Suzuki Swift), verbs (Ford Focus), a random series of sounds which incidentally ends up being a Proper Noun (Nissan Qashqai) or even better yet, a seemingly random series of letters, numbers and punctuation marks that actually was code for its engineering derivation (McLaren MP4-12C) :stuck_out_tongue:

That being said, if you wanted to call somebody ugly, as in, “Hey, Ugly!”, what would that be in Dutch? I just used Google Translate :joy:

2 Likes

Actually, I’m sure you know but the truth is even more obnoxious since the Nissan Qashqai was named after a nomadic group of people. “The Qashqai name (pronounced ‘kash-kai’) comes from a nomadic tribe living in the desert in South Western Iran and Nissan’s designers believe that its buyers will be nomadic in nature too, willing to make unconventional choices.”

If that wasn’t bad enough they didn’t think much of us Aussies and called it the Dualis because according to an unsourceable article from the wiki, "In Australia the Qashqai carries the name Dualis from the Japanese domestic market version because Nissan worried Qashqai could be pronounced “cash cow” Something they clearly gave up on with the later models.

That’s what I was referencing when I said “turned out to be a Proper Noun”, but if I hadn’t looked it up I definitely wouldn’t have known (I’m no expert in the nomadic native tribes of the remote Middle East). Thank goodness for Wikipedia amirite :joy:

Well, it only took Hyundai about as long as I remember to release an advertisement to international audiences not-so-subtly hinting at how to pronounce their company name… I still get some people correcting me insisting it’s “Hi-yhoon-die” :joy:

3 Likes

What’s weird is that the Qashqai is coming to North America soon with different names. The Canadian market one will stay with the Qashqai name (they even have some stuff on how to pronounce it on their website) while the American one will have the stupid name of: Rogue Sport. How very Mitsubishi of them…

For the longest time the Buick LaCrosse was called ‘Allure’ (snrk) in Canada. Even though LaCrosse is a very popular sport here, it’s also a thrice removed, very obscure curse word in french. Somehow someone at Buick thought that Quebec french and France french were remotely similar, and panicked before the launch. For the facelift they changed the name to match the US Car, and surprise! No one cared.
KumQuat is a silly name for an S.U.VanCarTruck, I doubt it’ll stick in Canada. We’ll likely see the Rogue Sport name before too long. Because honestly, the first thing I think of when I hear QashQai, is also CashCow.