The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

MY85 Bogliq Vrabie

Conceived in the 70’s as an attempt to show the West that the CCCP was capable of making fun to drive cars, the first generation Vrabie was a reasonable success. This was to be expected when you had a captive audience and the alternatives were banned!

This changed for the 2nd generation; the first Vrabie to emerge from under the Iron Curtain. Bogliq Europe imported a number of Vrabies to attempt to corner the niche, ultra cheap, convertible market. Sales started in 1979 and met with mixed success, mainly due to the Vrabie having a DOHC, 2v triple instead of the usual OHV fours of it’s logical rivals.

In 1985, the Vrabie was updated with single point fuel injection and a compression increase to compensate for the new unleaded fuel regulations. However the 4 speed manual and basic interior was retained which meant that the Vrabie would still retain its “cheapest new convertible” market position.

The price for the updated 1985 version was an amazing $7,000 which meant that a Vrabie was in reach of even first car buyers and Bogliq’s renowned parts support meant that Vrabie owners would be able to source maintenance and replacement parts long after the car would cease production.

Driving the Vrabie is a joy, the lightweight steering and lack of interior distractions mean that, along with the willing twincam triple, the Vrabie is capable of whisking a determined driver along a B road at a decent pace. The car is theoretically capable of 181Km/h although our testing at the ATT only saw about 170Km/h reached.

Grip is good for the class and there is no wheelspin so the Vrabie feels secure in the corners, never threatening to bite, and mild understeer is the result of carrying too much speed into a corner. The brakes are fade free and provide a nice pedal feel and the 4 speed manual shifts cleanly and securely.

The interior is sparsely furnished but there is a full suite of gauges for the driver and there is plenty of storage space with decent bootspace and room behind the two seats to store a soft bag or two.

So the Bogliq Vrabie is a real drivers car that could be lived with every day, but don’t just take my word for it, check one out at your local Bogliq dealer; you may be pleasantly surprised that you did!

Buy better, buy Bogliq

1 Like

Bogliq will be hearing from my lawyers aboot that name!

Fixed, your trademarks are secure, good sir!

1 Like

Presenting the EE Ocelot L model.

$6,300 pre markup
Standard interior
Basic 8 track
51mpg (imp)

Optional extras.
5 speed gearbox
Power steering
ABS
Premium interior

3 Likes

thank you, good sir!

My dear professor, you say you look for new car, in 1985. Has to be very cheep, very sensible, and safe. I understand, it is only normal, and me having been in your place not long ago I have car for you!

That is right! The legendary Sheddok! Fret not, professor, there is even a Britain friendly version that sips 92 octane fuel like little baby - one gallon carry you nineteen miles! Can you believe it? What glory Orbistani engineering brings to this world.

Pictured in the iconic colour is the same way you will get it, you miss out on nothing at all. Speed? Yes, is quick. Good fuel economy? Is good. Look good? Yes, very. Carry five people? No problem! Radio? No need for waste luxury - you have V8 so what more you need?

So, my professor, why do you hesitate? Get a Sheddok, it will be a life companion. As they say in my country, Бери́сь дру́жно, не бу́дет гру́зно - но с шеддок все светло!

9 Likes

Is that an American sip?? :laughing:

2 Likes

“You have a V8” - that explains it :wink:

2 Likes

V8 with excessive negative quality*

3 Likes

There’s me thinking, i’ve been sensible with a 3 cylinder 1.2L that has single point fuel injection…

1 Like

I went for a 1L, 3 cyl & SPFi. :wink:

And recycled my MMC entry. :wink:

1 Like

What power are you getting, im on about 51.3Bhp, with a rather simple tune

1 Like

45hp @ 5200rpm and car weighs 658kg.

Compared to the 126 it’s a rocket! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

now my 1300 4 pot seems YUGE compared to that

4 Likes

Don’t feel too bad, I made a 1.4 liter I4. Now I’m wondering if it might’ve been the wrong move.

nah. 1.5L i4 here. but it is making 53hp.

1 Like

Rapido Motors Cube S

It has an engine inspired by a V12… With the cylinder count cut into fourths for sharing.
Quite nice seating for 8, if you like sharing your Premium set of Standard Seats with another person.
Goes 0 to 100km in less time than it takes to stop from that same speed.
Has 600hp divided into 10 cars for equality.
And the engine has less CC than the weight in pounds of the entire car, because less is more!

Is all the sensibility you could muster
If you shook your head enough times.

This version is the sporty S trim. It comes with some fog lamps to appear sporty.

Rapido Motors, Rapidly giving you all you really need in an automobile.

8 Likes

OK guys, I’d love to enter this but - I guess it’s not really in the spirit of a competition to ask the “opposition” for clues, but I’m confused. I have a feeling I’m missing something very obvious: How the heck do you guys get the trim ET below 30? I just tested it and the lowest ET option on literally everything (chassis and trim) gives me 29.8. I can’t even afford a 3rd gear or more than 2 basic seats (not without Q slider dumping, that is). Can anyone tell me where I’m going wrong? Do you just negative Q spam everything?

Make sure you are really using low ET options, there are some you might not think of as being high ET or some you think aren’t optional (they are if the budget is so low). It’s quite possible to make a car with some non-basic tech without touching quality sliders (5 speed manual is quite obtainable).

1 Like

I can give you a tip that negative quality is not only encouraged. But also expected…

1 Like