The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

That’s it guys! The deadline is here! There are 22 entries which I will not listed.

Thank you for participating.

The result will be in very soon. Stay tuned.

6 Likes

@szafirowy01 Frankly I don’t care what happens this round, I just want to know whether the Berlose or the Espada is better :wink:

1 Like

This exact Espada is… over 1.5x more expensive than this exact Berlose :smile: No surprise, I guess, especially since I chose the Lusso trim.

1 Like

Ah damn, I should have gone all out and gone ultra expensive. Well hey, let’s see what goes down :wink:

Reviews time!

I’m not sorry it’s a wall of text. This is the result.

It was a Thursday morning. I remember dad holding a map in his old Mitsushita he had for years. He bought the latest roadtest book, I still have it somewhere in the house… Anyway. He started by sifting through this book and find what he would like to buy. He was 55 at the time, and he thought because he’s so nearing his mandatory retirement, he was going to buy something that going to last quite long.

The truth is, he never had nice, new car before. All he ever bought was a lightly used Mitsushitas or that one time he plunged for a really nice small Conan… That’s why all the cars he looked at in the roadtest book are intriguing. He spent an afternoon looking for all the dealerships he wish to visit.

When it comes to the day he look at the cars. He woke up early and plan to spend the whole weekend to find that perfect car. He didn’t even have what sort of car he wish to buy. Only that he must liked it.

He asked me to go along with him. Mum didn’t care much about what he’d buy so she just went to work. All her driving like dad just got her some small car that didn’t go wrong and she’d be content. That’s why she’ve owned so many Mitsushita Pollies. I was only 7 years old at the time and every dad’s purchase was interesting.

“What do you think papa should buy, little man?”
“Papa should buy a BMMA Shark with Turbo!”
“Haha, no son, Mama would not be happy if Papa buy a sports car.”
“Awwww…”
“But Papa is going to buy a new car. Do you want to choose the colour?”

I remembered feeling so happy at the thought. I’ve never had experience going to a car dealership before today. Ad the thought of my dad allowing me to choose the colour of his new car was very enticing. Shall it be something awesome like red? Or lime green? Dad didn’t know what car is going to be yet though.

Dad drove quite a bit away from our house in the outskirt of capital. The first dealership we were at was a Mercalli one. Parked right out front was a Mercalli M32, brand new at the time. In fact, 1995 brought about a lot of brand new models to choose from. That’s why dad was so confused as what to get. @abg7

That midnight blue blob of a car didn’t seems to please dad. Being a 55 years old rather conservative man. He was not pleased with the direction of every manufacturer designing a weird curvy cars. It did became popular later, but dad taste definitely didn’t grow into it yet then.

Dad looked all over the Mercalli M32 with intrigues. The salesperson pointed him towards the “M32” as in 3.2-litre engine. Dad thought it was rather large for his liking and is going to contribute badly to yearly taxes. But that’s not going to deter him with the economy being in the green right now.

Dad looked at the Mercalli interior and thought that it was rather nice, if a bit small. I thought it was very fancy as well. It came with everything!

“CD Player? Is that an optional extra?” Dad asked the salesperson talking him through the car.
“Nope, it comes as standard.”
“But I don’t even own CDs!”
“The car also comes with a very nicely tune Cassette player.”

Dad nodded at the reply. And requested for a spin around the block. The salesperson then said that he could do better and took it on the newly opened motorway close by.

Disappointingly, dad turned around just after driving away from the dealer for a few kilometers. Citing the reason being that he didn’t like the ride. I never understood why he said that. The salesperson were left befuddled as I was.

Dad got into his Mitsushita and told me he would drove over to Erin dealership. I was happy because back then I had Erin Scarlet poster up on my bedroom wall… And I was going to see one in a flesh! Sadly, at this Erin dealership, they didn’t have one on display. I remember being quite sad, but still content as I was so much intrigued by the car dad was interested in. @deusexmackia

It was a red Erin Berlose. It was a very modern looking car back then. But as I said, dad didn’t approve of it’s blobbiness styling at all. But hey I thought it was rather nice.

Dad thought the interior was disappointing after the Mercalli, although it also comes standard with CD player. The car salesman pointed toward was a 2.8 Lux. It might’ve been top of the range model in this country. But I’m not sure.

Dad looked around the car, appearing to like it’s nicely packaged design. But after a look at the specification sheet, he just shake his head and walked away with me.

I later asked him in life why that was the case. His reason being that the car was poorly designed. Dad, being an engineer all his life, appreciate good engineering. And he said that the Erin Berlose V6 got an Aluminium Cylinder Block coupled with Cast Iron Cylinder Head, a design he had not seen since the day of BKOO Euroride from the 70’s. Dad thought that is was unwise as the Euroride was notorious for blowing head gasket with just a whiff of overheating. And that he wouldn’t take his chance especially when we’re living in a tropical country.

The next dealership was Cornaldie. The car was a Macari SL V6 Turbo. 7 years old me wanted dad to just buy this car because it had Turbo, 2 of them. And as all of us when we were 7 knew. Turbo makes everything better. But dad, being dad, was not convinced. @doncornaldie

The design of the car looked like a piece of cheese in cartoon. Especially when one of the car in the showroom was bright yellow. Dad look inside and walked immediately. Dad said the reason was that he couldn’t even fit a seat for me in the back! He thought the back seat design was really stupid for a car this big. A damn shame.

Dad went to Centauri dealership next. A champagne coloured Comet LS was the car salesperson directed him towards. It was a gigantic behemoth of a car! And a real ugly one as well! It was very weird looking from the front up, and ghastly chrome on the front down. Dad stood there and look at it for quite sometimes before he said to the salesperson “Sorry for wasting your time.” and walked away. @nialloftara

Dad drove the Mitsushita with me in the back to a Merciel dealership. Greeting him was a burgundy Verona 3-litre. @dorifto_dorito

Dad looked at the car, and he appears to be quite pleased with the overall profile. But he didn’t seems too keen on sporty ground effects. It looked more like a rally car, unbefitting the overall executive saloon profile of it. But after all the blobs he’d seen he liked this the most.

But then his face dropped. The Verona was a relatively big car. But when dad looked inside the rear, he spotted that it has only 2 seats. He contemplates hard on walking away with this one. Because it was the only car thus far that he liked. But in the end, he didn’t like it so much that he could justify less practicality. He said the car was “confused” as what it’s supposed to be. And to be honest, I didn’t understand what he was on about.

I read about the Verona after the fact. And it was a really nice car. I’d have loved to drive one when I was in university. I didn’t understand dad rationale at all…

But he was 55. And he got 55 years old mind then…

That kind of explains why the next destination was at Maesima dealership. My mum and I knew that his new car is going to be at least more prestigious than he used to have. And Maesima does have a few offering that answered that very well. @Rk38

Why did he get drawn to a Maesima NV-993? I will never know.

Maybe it answered well to his adult rationality? The car in question was a hunter green NV-993, you know, the one with shark nose front end? They were a nice alternative to Mitsushita Karna at the time so what’s the point in dad trading his to that? As a young un, I always thought trading should always go up… I thought of that as I sat there in the passenger seat. Looking at the drab, albeit nicely screwed together dashboard.

Dad really liked the 2.0 Tz trim. In that particular colour. Dad said “That’s a nice car!” to the salesperson who appears to think he’d hit a jackpot. He didn’t know what he was in for…

The NV-993 was a basic, no frills, family saloon that was very well made and sensible to the till. And dad decided to go for a test drive.

It was a manual 5-speed. 2.0-litre with 130 something horsepower, I didn’t care sitting there in the back with dad and salesperson up front. Dad was always shifting. I could see the salesperson looking nervously at an old bloke driving 30-40km/h over the speed limit on public road, but did not have the courage to tell him to stop.

And the salesperson certainly did not have the courage to tell dad to turn around when he reached the motorway. You see, dad hates all sort of salesperson. And he always liked playing around with them.

Of course, back then, there was no speed camera on the motorway. And there’s no police presence either. There’s speed camera now but still very little enforcement on the motorway. But back then it was seen as a free game. Dad pushed the pedal to the metal all the way from the toll, looping back, only slowed down when he’s turning off the motorway to return back to the dealer. He got the Maesima up to 190km/h and stay there the entirety of the expressway loop. He thought it was very funny seeing the salesperson face when he stepped out of the car.

He told the salesman that he would consider the car. And told him to come up with some good deal while he’s looking at more options.

The old Mitsushita drove to a Bonham dealership close by. A relatively posh looking place situated along side Baltazar dealership of course. Dad asked to look at the new Chaucer. Of which they had a few available. I remembered I was totally enarmoured by the Chaucer 2.8 Brooklands estate in Green that was fenced off. But dad was only interested in the 3.0 Elegance. Which even so was not cheap. @Leonardo9613

Dad thought it was too blobby all the same. But one of the nicer one. The salesperson showed off the 3.0 Inline 6 engine under the bonnet powering the rear wheels through then very modern 5-speed gearbox. It was an entirely new car like the Mercalli M32 and thus it has all the modern specifications. It seems that dad was impressed by it’s mechanicals.

Dad however, was kind of disappointed by the interior. Which was by no mean a bad place to be. But considering that it’s a premium offering from a premium manufacturer, he was expecting more. He also think that it might be a little bit small on the inside. But that’s not a deal breaker. I didn’t care, being a small 7 years old child, I was just sitting there playing with all the buttons that controls the radio. There was a lot of buttons.

Dad of course requested for a test drive. And the salesperson obliged.

We went on the road. Dad remarked that the engine was silky smooth and feels very potent. The car picked up the speed very quickly in a way he was expected.

“240 horsepower on tap, sir.” The salesperson told dad.
“Can I take it on the motorway?”

The salesperson just nodded. And so dad took it on the same route as he did the Maesima.

The experience then was quite exhilarating even for 7 years old me. The car rocketed ahead at quite high speed, very quickly. The acceleration off the line was impressive enough. But acceleration for overtaking is something else entirely. Dad didn’t say anything to the salesperson. He just kept his foot right down all the way, on the same loop as he did the Maesima.

“Top speed is gearing limited to 240km/h!” The salesperson told dad while he’s doing exactly that. It was a quiet afternoon and so he was not endangering anybody at the time. The salesperson also appears to be quite calm despite dad doing constant 240km/h for the whole way.

The only thing I took from it, was the exhaust note. I will never forget that Inline 6 smooth exhaust note screaming at the top… If all the experience I’ve ever had before didn’t cemented my love for cars. The Bonham Chaucer did.

After returning to the dealership. Dad did not say anything much other than thanking the salesperson. But I knew he secretly love the way that car drove.

Bogliq dealership was the next place. A vast array of bright blue cars parking neatly out front. Dad take a peek at one of the Bastion, a relatively large saloon with shark nose styling. Then the salesman walked over to tell him about it. @highoctanelove

The car he interested in was a Bastion Touring S 3.5. It’s about the same size as the Chaucer. But a completely different car. It’s front wheel drive powered by a low strung V6 engine. Dad thought the styling was a bit weird. But not too terrible.

“220hp from a 3.5-litre engine? Isn’t that a bit low comparing to Bonham Chaucer 3.0-litre 240hp?” Dad asked the salesman, which totally befuddled the guy. Dad already knew about these cars more than any salesperson, really.

Dad looked at the interior and was quite amazed at what he saw. It was a lot more luxurious than any other car he’d seen today. But then he found out the reason. It costed even more than the Bonham. Already an expensive car. And this is merely a Bogliq…

Dad clearly was skeptical. Is this car worth the expense? 3.5-litre is also at the top of the tax bracket. Which means he’d to spend more on yearly taxes for the car.

He asked the salesperson if he could drive the car. He got an affirmative respond. So we were going again with the bright blue Bogliq Bastion.

Dad start up the 3.5-litre V6 engine, which he remarks that it was not as smooth as Inline 6. But it does have other, nice characteristic. It’s going through a 4-speed gearbox with limited slip differntial. He floored it once on the main street. And turn back immediately like he did with the Mercalli.

He cited the reason being that the whole car feels turgid. The brakes is very spongy, and the suspension is a bit wooly. And the car didn’t feel as solid as he’d like it to be.

Whatever, to the next place we went.

The next car dad looked at was a Kageshima Progress. A midnight blue example with 2.6-litre Inline 6 engine. And it was one of the rare time dad actually appears to be captured by the styling of any car. He looked at the Progress for a long time. Just looking. He didn’t say anything to him, not even hi. That guy was left standing wondering what this old man with this young kid was doing. Oh I think it’s a nice looking car now, but I was not interested when I was 7. I was sitting in the vast rear seat, entertaining myself by child’s thought… @bastormonger

And then dad started picking the car apart. Bits by bits. He loved the styling. But he sure as hell not going to buy it base on looks alone.

He looked at the interior and was similarly impressed. Nicely trimmed, nicely put together. It comes with standard CD player which he wasn’t interested in. It’s one of those old, in boot CD changer as well. But it was well equipped and very nicely designed.

Dad wasn’t really impressed with the engine though. 2.6-litre Inline 6. It’s tuned more for fuel economy and so it only has 155hp. But that’s more than adequate and is more than enough for dad.

With that, dad asked for a test drive with the salesperson. The car he drove was a rare 5-speed manual. Especially with this big, expensive model. But it was not too expensive.

Straight away, dad complimented the good, slick gearbox shift. A sign of a well built, high quality gearbox. He also complimented the smooth ride which the salesperson attributed to high quality suspension components.

It didn’t rev all that well, dad said. It was merely average. But the engine was smooth enough, and acceleration is okay. Slightly better with the addition of a manual gearbox. Dad didn’t even asked to go on the motorway. It’s not the car for going fast. Neither was the Maesima, actually. But the Maesima was surprisingly fun to do so. While dad knew there’s no point with this.

Dad thanked the salesperson. Before driving off the Kageshima lot in his Mitsushita.

13 Likes

Reviews 2!

Dad got a bit lost, but he finally found his next point of interest. PRJ dealership. @Fayeding_Spray

Greeted by the sight of vaguely communist looking building. Dad was utterly bewildered and very skeptical to walk into the lot. But then a man with typical ethnic Chinese looks walked over and talk to him in Mandarin. Which prompted Dad to politely replied in Cantonese that he cannot speak a word in Mandarin.

A couple of hand wavingly confusing conversation later. Dad got a peek at the F85 LR-F on display. Which he promptly walked away from immediately. I didn’t even got out of our Mitsushita yet… It was one of those very weird day.

At this point, it was quite late. Most dealerships have closed. So dad drove us home, waiting for what’s coming tomorrow…

“You like any of the car?” Dad asked me while waiting in the capital traffic jam.
“I quite like the Bonham.” I told him.
“Oh! Why is that the case, young man?”
“It goes very quickly.”
“That doesn’t seem like a very safe thing, innit? Son?”

The next morning. Dad and I went and had a look at Znopresk dealership. At the time they hadn’t rebranded the dealer as ZM yet. Dad got drawn to the brand new ZM Danzig sitting in the lot. In Champagne colour. @normanvauxhall

“That’s a nice looking car.” Dad told the salesperson accompanied him. “1.9 LS?”
“Yes, mister. We think that for your need, this is what you should get.”

It’s clear that dad approved of the styling. Despite it being the 90’s blob like all other new model. He thinks at least it’s sharp and well proportioned. He learnt that the engine is a 1.9-litre 4-cylinder unit producing merely 115hp.

The salesperson encourage him to go on a test drive. Saying that it may surprised him. The salesperson turn and saw me sitting inside, he smiled, I smiled back.

Inside of the ZM Danzig was very basic. It looks cheap and not all that well put together. Nicely designed, mind you. But that didn’t deter dad at all because it was by far the cheapest car he’d looked at. It was very cheap and as a result it’s getting quite popular with people who wish to have European car but not have European imports budget. ZM is a better name than Mitsushita for sure.

Dad asked for a go. The salesperson obliged.

The car didn’t ride as good as other, more expensive car. But it was better than dad’s old Mitsushita. It also was not too slow. It drove quite nicely. Turns well, stops well.

Dad of course had to take it on the motorway. On which he drove again flat out the whole way. Dad terrified the living jesus out of the Salesperson. He keep complimenting the car very calmly, almost as if he didn’t know the salesperson was nearly crapping himself at that point. He got it up to 180km/h, and the car took it like a champ. It was not too wallowy as well.

Dad returned to the dealership. When the salesperson stepped off the ZM he appears to be thankful that he’s not dead yet. I guess not many Danzig 1.9 buyers would drove like dad… Dad thanked the shaking salesperson and just continue on.

The next location was DMA dealership. A distinctively brown estate car awaits dad in the showroom. @zabhawkin

“An estate? That’s not an option I was considering… Interesting.” Dad told the salesman.

The piece de resistance of the DMA W95 was the suspension. A Hydropneumatic suspension licenced from a French car company. But that wasn’t the main thing that detered Dad from even considering it. The car looks so bland and featureless. It’s literally just a blob of car. And you remember how I said Dad didn’t cared for blob?

If dad wanted to spend his hard earn money on a car. It better makes him proud when he saw himself looking into the reflections of glass building in the capital city.

The next place Dad wasn’t familiar with at all. It was one of the newcomer in the market, despite existing since 1970’s. It was the Exil Trhyos. Dad tried to pronounced the name, and the salesperson had to corrected him. @koolkei

It doesn’t really matter. Dad, being a 55 years old man. Absolutely loved the styling of the Trhyos. He put it up there with the Progress. Although, it’s very obviously an old man’s car. It’s also quite reasonably price and yet looks an absolute class. (For my old man, god rest his soul). I think it was merely an anarchronism from the 70’s.

Dad looked at all over the Trhyos. Quietly. The salesperson just talking all the salesmanship crap. But dad just slowly, and very quietly look at the thing. It also seems as if he’s in his comfort zone. While I was just sitting in it. Playing with buttons, which it had a lot…

Dad then asked for a test drive. And we were again on our way.

The car rides very nicely, which dad approves of. And the interior is qutie well put together. In fact, dad remarked that the whole car is incredibly well put together. Which makes the salesperson gloats.

It’s a 6-Cylinder Turbocharged car. 2.4-litre of displacement boasting nearly 190 horsepower. The salesperson boasted about the absolutely astonishing fuel economy. Dad promptly shuts him up by putting his foot to the floor on the main street.

“It has some grunt to it! I give you that!” Dad said that laughs after he slow down to take a turn up the motorway.

The brick like car appears to have effects on top speed. As dad later said he only manage to get it up to 200km/h. But of course the salesperson was begging him to slow down at the time.

After we returned to the lot, the salesperson just dropped to the floor. Dad walked up to him, pat the guy in the back. And said with the most sociopathic grin I think possible for human.

“Come up with some deal, we might have to meet again soon.”

Dad then drove to a Letto dealership. The only car that he was interested in was a Letto 214. It was not really a car. It was rather a red plinth for landing aircraft carriers on. This behemoth of a car was longer than contemporary Carlotta UW140 Long Wheel Base! That kinda made my dad a little bit scared of manuovering the thing anywhere. @LordLetto

“Do I need a bus licence for this?” Dad asked the salesman jokingly, of which the guy replied.
“Thankfully no, sir.”

Dad looked around the 214 a bit. And it was yet again when he looked into the back of it that he decided this was not the car for him. It’s not a particularly beautiful car to dad, so it wasn’t hard to walk away from. Dad keep insisting on only having 2 seats in the back being a stupid decision for designing a car as big as this. Even though they looks like they came out of some bespoke limousine.

And if dad’s going to drive a 5.33 metres long car in the capital… it better carries at least 9 passengers.

Dad take a look at JHW dealership close by. There was the new Kestrel available to inspect. Dad told me he thought it looks like other blob car, except there’s a lot of tacky chrome on it. @JohnWaldock

The salesman listed one of the feature being lightweight bonnet and front quarterpanels. Which aids the weight saving on the Kestrel. Then dad open that bonnet and found it was very light indeed.

“Looks quite racy under there.” Dad remarked to the salesperson.
“Yes sir. It’s 3.0-litre Inline 6 producing 220hp.”
“Oh.”

Dad appeared disappointed. I didn’t know until later that it was because the Kestrel has all the features that people who tunes their car would have. Individual throttle bodies, tubular equal length exhaust headers. Lightweight forged internals. But it was producing mediocre amount of horsepower.

The inside too was mediocre. It’s nicely trimmed and comes equipped with all the latest features available. But it seems not that nicely put together. Merely average, dad said.

The main advantage of the Kestrel is the equipment of the latest suspension technology. Active suspension. Virtually unheard of in this price range back in 1995. Cutting edge stuff.

But when dad took it for a spin. The car rides stiff, far stiffer than he’d like. And it makes me feeling a bit car sick after only a few kilometers. It was at this point dad returned the car to the dealership, apologized to the salesperson, and never spoke about it again.

Damein-Benoit sounds as exotic as they comes. But the Lumineux is as ordinary as they go. A wedge shape, blob designed car that has 5-seats, front wheel drive, and price tag that makes people able to afford such European car. @Mr.Computah

Dad think the looks of it is merely average. If somebody’d given him it, he wouldn’t be embarrassed driving it. But is it any good? Would he buy it with his own money?

The inside was standard affair. Not bad quality piece. But nothing extraordinary. Dad take a peek under the bonnet and found a 2.5-litre V6 engine that produced about 180hp. Not bad.

Dad decided that he would take a Lumineux 2.5 on a test drive. The salesman gave him that privilege. It was a 2.5-litre Manual model that was the choice.

The test drive was going okay, dad didn’t notice that I was bouncing behind him in the back a lot. I was car sick after the Kestrel, and the Lumineux was not helping the case. I was not going to puke, but I was not comfortable at all.

Thankfully, the test drive ended after dad took the car over a small bridge over a canal. The car back bounces up which unnerved dad in such a way that he pushed the brakes. Of which he was granted an instant lock up lasting quite a bit before ABS kicking in. The back immediately swing around and tries to overtake the front. Dad wasn’t going very quickly at the time, by the way.

It was safe to say, dad was not impressed at all. After returning the car, he walked away back to the Mitsushita without saying a word to the salesperson.

Dad drove to an Adenine dealership nearby. They had this new model, Veranda, on display. A black, long car with swooping, modern styling. I must say, with hindsight, that the car was very ahead of it’s time. Even in the 2000’s these cars still looked modern. @phale

Despite it being large, the car comes equipped with 2.0-litre Turbocharged engine. Again, ahead of it’s time, right? It produces nearly 220hp from this little an engine. Impressive stuff for the day.

And the inside, oh my god. Look at the feature lists and you’ll find it being longer than my Post Graduate thesis! And at the price that’s very reasonable as well. It was a cracking car at the time, and still is to this day.

Dad doesn’t care about all of those, obviously. He just wanted a test drive then.

The car rode very smoothly. And you couldn’t tell the engine was turbocharged. Dad said the powerband is very linear, he wouldn’t have known had he hadn’t take a peek under the bonnet. I remember the car we took for a test drive was a very rare 6-speed manual version. You don’t see them around a lot, certainly.

It was not mind bendingly fast. But it was brisk. Is this really a 2.0-litre motor powering 1400kg car? No wonder why people still like these things… But you don’t see them with all the features working now, do you?

In the end. Dad found the features fitted unneccessary. But he might come back if nothing else took his interest. Which at that point a lot of cars already took his interest…

The next location we were at was an FOA dealership. There was a Senate showcased there. You know the Senate? The ultimate in mid 90’s blob design it was. Dad thought it looks like a literal bar of soap with headlights. He didn’t like it, even if people do like them now in ironic 90’s way. @tr8r

Apart from the blob styling. The Senate was very interesting in that it got the same body technology as a famous Japanese supercar at the time. The whole body was made of Aluminium! Bloody hell! No wonder why these are so expensive then. And people reckon FOA lose money on every single one of the Senate sold. You can see why.

“Aluminium body? What if I got into an accident? How many body shops here are actually able to repair it?”

That question my dad asked the salesperson, he never got an answer for.

Dad went to a Suzume dealership next. A car was parking outside caught my dad’s attention. I do not know if it was a good attention or bad attention. Because the car was finished in offensively bright blue. @VicVictory

A Suzume Kaminari GS it was called. It was an incredibly weird looking car. And is it really a saloon? I dunno. Dad was intrigued by the looks alone. But like I said, I didn’t know if that’s a good or a bad thing… It’s not like this is the first time Dad ever saw a Kaminari. This was 1995, remember. These have been on the market since 1981. It was Kaminari Classic dad looked at, which was weird when it came out, still weird now.

“Inline 6 All Wheel Drive 160hp? That’s properly weird.” Dad told the salesperson.
“The All Wheel Drive aids traction in slippery condition, sir. The car is very good in the wet.”
“Is it any good in the snow?”

It never snowed in this country. The salesperson was completely baffled.

Dad asked if this is the top trim level, which the salesperson replied that it was. A GS model. The inside was suitably luxurious for that title. With nicely trimmed interior, albeit not very tightly, and a good CD player unit.

At this point, dad wasn’t sure if he wanted to take a test drive. A good peek sorted out his curiosity. It’s not really what he was looking for at all. A test drive revealed that despite all the quirks and features. The car didn’t drive particularly interesting as the looks suggested. Not a bad car. But like I said, not what he’s looking for at all.

Dad then drove to a Zavir dealership. They had the then new Espada on display. Proclaiming to be the “Greatest Luxury Car” or something. I cannot remember correctly. I only knew that it was a very expensive car then. Dad could’ve bought 2 Bonhams for the price of one Zavir Espada! @szafirowy01

But dad wasn’t very keen… He said it looks just like any other blob car of the time. And it actually looks rather like the ZM or other wedge shape design car. Only longer.

Dad asked to look at the Espada. Which prompted the salesperson looked at dad from top to bottom. Inspecting if he’s the sort of buyer for the car. Dad did passed muster. But only barely I suspect. Even though dad had the means to buy it.

“V6 Engine?” Dad asked the salesperson after looking under the bonnet.
“That’s correct, sir. 2.7-litre with 200 horsepower.”

Dad looked at the interior and was wowed by it. It did looks a lot like the greatest of luxury. Very high quality, soft leather. Finished in all the finest wood with very little gaps between trims. Everything felt solid, everything felt very plush. The technology isn’t far superior to any other car. But it’s there and complete.

Dad asked for a test drive. Of which the salesperson seems reluctant. But eventually the guy gave in to dad’s request.

“It has air suspension, correct?”
“That’s correct, sir.”
“Rides kinda harsh for such thing though…”
“You can adjust the suspension with this button.”

The salesperson push a button on the dashboard.

“Oooh!” Dad exclaims. Although he did say later that there’s very little difference.

Dad didn’t took it on the motorway. Dad just turn around after not that long of a drive. I asked dad why he didn’t. This was his reply.

“With that guy? Nah. I’m not going to buy the car anyway. Apart from posh interior the car doesn’t offer that much superority to any other cars.”

Dad then went to a BM dealership close by. He went straight for one of the car on display. It was shiny silver with a lot of trinkets. The car was a BM 160-A which became a well loved classic by now. Dad thought it was ghastly though. But captured his interest quite well. @TheElt

“All wheel drive, turbocharged? This is a rally car!” Dad said to the salesman accompanying him.
“Yessir! This car is competing in the world rally championship. It has all the tricks technology. Supercharger, All wheel drive, and differential to split power 50/50! It’s also made entirely of aluminium…”

Dad once again asked where he could repair a damaged aluminium body. The salesman didn’t have an answer for him.

The last car dad went and look at was a Megacorp LFC1. A very sharp, 90’s design that managed to looks sleek and conservative at the same time. I heard these were very popular with old people of the United States. So you can guess what my dad’s reaction was seeing it. He was absolutely enamored by it’s looks. @thecarlover

It’s a larger car than it’s looks suggested. But definitely not too large to be an issue. It cost about average for all the cars we’ve looked at. And dad thought it was tremendous.

Front wheel drive and modern construction. Low strung 3.3-litre V6 producing 220hp might not be that impressive. But it doesn’t matter as it’s clearly not for sporting purposes. The salesperson said it’s reasonably economical for it’s size and weight. Dad wasn’t too sure about that.

The inside was very high quality. Again, with standard CD player. My 7 years old ass sat there inside and thought it was vast! I could get lost in this thing!

Dad asked for a test drive. The salesman does the paperwork out back before we were away.

It rides stiffer than dad was expecting. But totally acceptable. Dad thought that it would ride an absolute cloud. But it’s actually German firm. Dad was actually driving very calmly at this point, not going fast like he usually does. So imagine the salesman surprise when he suddenly asked to go up the motorway. And as the salesman was replying yes, dad already turned on the motorway.

Dad, being dad, floored the LFC1 right after toll.

From the stand still, the LFC1 is not fast at all, merely brisk. But the aerodynamic shape and powerful motor meant that dad was able to sustain 230km/h cruise on the motorway loop. And acceleration after 100km/h is very brisk indeed. It also was not wallowy at all. It’s almost as if this car was designed by a German! Dad was very impressed by this. The salesman less so.

Dad drove back to the dealership, and told the salesman that he will consider it. But come up with a deal in mind in case he decided that it was the one.

“So what are you going to buy?” I curiously asked dad.
“I don’t know yet, son. Do you think you have any favourites?”
“I still kind of like the Bonham… It was very cool, dad.”
“Oh it’s a good car, isn’t it?” Dad said, smiling. “What about the Maesima? Do you think it’s a good car?”

I shrugged.

“What about the Kageshima? Do you like that?” Dad asked again.
“It’s okay…” I answered, not convincingly. I knew dad didn’t really care for my opinion.
“How about the ZM? Do you like that car?”
“It’s boring.”
“But it’s very cheap, son. I would have more money to buy you presents for this year’s Christmas!”

I smiled at dad after he said that.

“Exil Trhyos. Do you think that car is good?” Dad asked again.
“It has a lot of buttons in it that does stuff. It must be quite good, right?”
“It might be… Oh! What about the Megacorp? Do you like that?”
“It looks like old’s people car.”
“But papa is already old!”

Dad laughed his husky, gravelly, smoke ruined voice.

I believe that deep down, at that point, dad already knew which car he was going to buy…

14 Likes

Results.

“You’ve packed everything?” I asked.
“Oh yeah. You sure your sister won’t mind with me taking her clothes?”
“She doesn’t even wear them anymore. Just take them.”

You nodded.

We are still sitting in my apartment room. Going through the plans. The transportation have been sorted, quite quickly, and at quite a steep expense. I offered to help pay some of that, but you decline.

“Alright, we should go now.”

I’m sure nobody wants it to end this way. But it already has. You can’t turn back times. And even if you can, would you’ve done it any other way?

Was it sophomore year? I don’t remember. You became the student representative going against the board. You went after all of them. Doing stuff that no one in this country would deemed sane. Questioning the authority? What about your academic performance? Only a few professors were on your side. It was a miracle you weren’t put on probation.

Maybe it’s just that they didn’t think you were anything other than pesky kid. But it was a start, wasn’t it?

We walked to my Mitsushita Polly. That little thing. I’ve exchanged the plate to the one I got from car flipping deals I’ve done during my free times… The police won’t likely bother us anyway. But it’s not the police that I’m worried about.

Eyes everywhere… None to be trust.

I drove the little red Polly to my house on the outskirt of capital city. I decided to drive during the rush hour traffic because then the police cannot put up checkpoints and risk causing more traffic jam. Not that they would care, anyway. The police doesn’t check a very inconspicuous Mitsushita Polly. But the man? I don’t know. I don’t even know if they identified the Polly as the car… They must’ve seen it, right? God. The paranoia is eating me.

I don’t know how she can cope…

The initial drive went okay. Nothing happened. And even if it did the Polly would leave any other car in the dust with this traffic.

I parked the Mitsushita at my house, beside my dad’s car, which was under a cover. I brought out the Mitsushita’s size car cover just to make sure.

“Is that the car?” You asked, pointing at my dad’s car.
“It is.” I replied.
“That seems quite a big car, innit? Your Polly is dwarfed!” You were smiling at the thought… Seeing you smile make me smile as well… “So I guess it’s a weekend kind of car? You car people does that sort of stuff, right?”
“Yeah… It was my dad’s car before he passed.”
“Your dad passed? I’m sorry.”
“It was 5 years ago, don’t worry.”

I left out a small sigh and look at you, you were visibly shaking.

“How are you feeling? Are you alright?”
“How am I feeling?” You suddenly shouted angrily. “The government want my ass, and not in the way you’re thinking. And you ask how I’m feeling? I’m feeling so fine! Let’s go to a cafe we just saw and have a nice latte?!..”

You suddenly stopped. I can see your eyes started watering.

“I’m sorry…” You told me.
“Don’t worry. I understand…” I wanted to walk over and comfort you… But the way you wave your hand makes me stop.

So I walked over to the car. Ready to pull the cover off. I don’t know if you already knew from the silhouette. Maybe your memory isn’t that good…

I pulled the cover over the roof, revealing a box shaped large car. Garage light shines on it’s midnight blue body.

You looked astonished. You said to me.

“Oh my god… You still have that thing? It wasn’t new when you were in uni!”
“Come on… It’s not that old.” I chuckled a bit.
“I have not seen one of those in years! It’s a Kageshima Progess, right?”
“It is my dad’s Progress, yes…”
“Can it actually do the journey? We have 600 kilometres to go.” She laughs.
“Hey! Don’t diss the Progress!” I must say, I laughed too…

After seeing all the cars. Dad cut down the options to only 6.

Bonham Chaucer 3.0 Elegance
Maesima NV-993 Tz 2.0
Kageshima Progress 2.6
ZM Danzig 1.9 LS
Exil Trhyos
Megacorp LFC1 LP

Sadly, even though I expressed that I liked the Bonham very much. Dad didn’t prevail. It was fast and fun, but that’s not what my dad was looking for. It was a shame. I did buy a used Bonham Chaucer once in my car flipping trade. Made a nice profit on it too. It was a really nice car to drive.

The Maesima and the ZM Danzig was the next 2 to go. As while they’re perfectly usable and very nice cars to have. Dad was 55. And he decided that he have had enough with a mere transportation. They made a great family cars. And a lot of people bought them for that purpose. You don’t see them a lot anymore, the Danzig especially.

As much as dad liked the Exil Trhyos. He came to his senses that it looks rather baroque. While if he’d been 65 at the time. He’d have bought it. It was a really nice car. Very well put together and very nicely styled. But it was too old fashioned. Like an anarchronism from the late 70’s. Maybe dad would’ve bought a second hand model and be done with it. He still maintained that it was a blast to drive. And you still see examples of them going around, driven by old people who’ve bought them to last the rest of their lives…

It was now down to the Megacorp LFC1 LP and the Kageshima Progress.

The Kageshima Progress was everything dad looked for in a car. Stylish, well put together. It was not that nice to drive, but he didn’t care. He was far too old to have proper spirited driving. He liked driving fast, and the Kageshima later proved that it could do that very well.

The Megacorp LFC1 on the other hand is also very nice. Not as nicely put together. But dad did expressed that he prefer it’s styling to the Progress. But it was not enough for him to pick it over the Progress. The LFC1 seems like a rather mixed car. I’ve had experience driving it once. They were mostly Automatic, but with a rather firm, sporty European handling. The engine was a gem, and is a very reliable unit. It was powerful.

So why exactly did dad purchased the Kageshima over the LCF1?

Dad loved the styling. As much as the LFC1. He also liked it’s Inline 6 engine powering the rear wheels. It’s incredibly comfortable with a nicely sorted chassis that hides the true bulk of the thing. It’s engine might not rev all that high, or that fun, but that’s not going to deter dad…

I suspect the true reason was that it was incredibly well put together. Cost a bit more than the LCF1. But it’s worth it in dad’s mind. Dad liked good engineering, especially one that last long.

And last long the Kageshima did!

Dad went back to the dealership. Asking about deals to be had. He also gave me a brochure for the Progress. He pointed at the page that show the colour options.

“Which do you think is the best looking, son?”

I take a peek, and then didn’t pointed at any of them. I pointed at the midnight blue show car parked in the showroom.

“Alright! Midnight blue it is!”

Dad brought the Progress home. Mum take a peek but didn’t say anything. But we all know that mum likes the car enough, else she’d have said something.

Dad started driving it, he drove it everywhere. For the first 5 years he put nearly 120,000 kilometres on it. And it didn’t have any issues! Then dad retired in 2000. And the car started to sit more than get driven. Mum don’t like driving it as it’s a large car. She mostly driven the Polly dad got her and that’s already full of dings and scratches.

After that, Dad only used it to take me to school.

In fact, the rest of my academic years. I commute in the Kageshima Progress.

I started driving when I was 15. This was in 2001. Just a year after dad retired.

“I got to teach you to drive! I’m bored of driving.” One day dad said so suddenly.
“But dad… I’m only 15?”
“Who said you cannot drive when you’re 15?”
“The LAW?!”

It didn’t matter. Dad taught me to drive in the Kageshima Progress.

Finally. After only riding along in the Progress, I was driving it.

But dad wasn’t going to let me drive alone without licence. The first 3 years I only drove when dad wanted to go somewhere. He always took the Progress. I thought it was tricky to drive, such is life with a large car.

Dad taught me how to use the clutch. Dad did ordered ours with 5-speed manual gearbox. It was very rare at the time and is pretty much hen’s teeth now. It wasn’t difficult learning the clutch. I mastered it pretty quickly.

I drove dad around occasionally… The Progress didn’t get use a lot for that. For 3 years it only gathered another 15,000 kilometres.

But then I turned 18.

On the day I turned 18. Dad told me to drive to a local Transport department and applied to get the licence. I took the writing test, which only needed 50% at the time (it’s 90% now). I passed with 93% anyway. And then it was time to do practical test.

Dad of course took the Kageshima Progress for me to do it in…

The test then only consisted of a few things. Driving forward, reversing out, curbside parking, doing a hill start, parallel parking. I think it’s still only that now? Anyhow. I passed the first try. But I can tell you, I nearly wiped out one of the cones when doing parallel parking… The Progress is not a small car.

Then, I started driving the Progress. In place of Dad.

“You passed the test. Why not have the car?”

It was not as bad as it sounds. Even though hand me downs car is not something I wished for. I really wanted the then very sporty BMMA. But dad wasn’t going to buy me one. He told me to earn the money yourself after I graduated. Still, the Kageshima Progress was a relatively new luxury car.

I drove the thing like I hated it. I always goes too quickly when on the motorway. It can do 200km/h pretty easily, and I’m sure dad did do that a lot… I do too…

It was 2004. I was enrolled in a prestigious university…

Studying was boring. Of course. But I intended to do as well as I could. I use the Kageshima to commute everyday. And it’s racking up miles again. It was by that point was just an old car.

But it was after the 1997 economic crisis. While before then it was common for parents to buy they kids nice cars. After then it was not so common anymore. In fact… Most people seems to lost interest in automobile all along.

I still remember the day I first met you…

It was not any special day, was it? It was just another classes. I’m sure it was for you. But I remember what it was, of course I remember! You walked up to that guy sitting next to me to ask about the lecture. That nerd… That was when I saw you there…

The willowy girl…

But I couldn’t talk to you… I can’t.

It wasn’t until some sort of event that we attended later that I mustered enough courage to say hi.

My heart rates at the time was on the edge of exploding, I was sure. Ah, the poppy love. I wish to be teenager again…

We didn’t talk much though, and the conversation was very awkward. I didn’t know what to say to you. My heart is still beating fast, and my brain has stopped working entirely. Typical stuff eh? Hey, I was young then!

After the day finished, I was ready to say goodbye. The thing I didn’t wish to do the most at the time. But I couldn’t keep you there, could I?

But then the heaven’s open. Thunderstorm.

“Oh bloody hell… How the fuck am I supposed to go home then? I forgot my umbrella.” I was surprised by this, actually. I didn’t expect you to swear so explicitly.
“Where do you live?”
“South of here, about 20km away. I usually ride the bus, but the stop is nearly a kilometre away!”
“Oh wait!..” I hesitate. Because it’s not actually true “I actually live around that area.”
“You have an umbrella?”
“No… I can do better than that.”

We walked together to the car park where my Kageshima Progress parked. It was a huge thunderstorm that didn’t appears to be going anytime soon. We did get a bit wet. I gave you my bag to cover your head.

“Oh you have a car?” You asked when we were close to the car park.
“Yes.” I replied.
“Oh that’s neat! You drive here everyday?”
“I do.”

We got to the Kageshima, sitting under the pouring rain. Looking as good as the day it left the factory.

“Nice car.” I’m sure the reason you were complimenting it was because it can sheltered you from the rain.
“It was my dad’s car… He gave it to me because he stopped driving.”

What a boring conversation. Why couldn’t I think of anything more interesting? Normally I can be quite witty. But it seems that it doesn’t work with you. It never did…

“All old Kageshima smells the same, doesn’t it?” You told me. I was quite surprised by that observation.
“You’ve been in these cars?”
“Of course I have. It’s not like they aren’t common.”
“True…”

After that day. I didn’t talk to you again very often at all. It’s just… It’s like you’re in a different world to me. You have your friends. I have mine. And I was not an outgoing type who can just walk up and talk to girls, especially one as beautiful as you…

We were farther and farther away from each other. And it was the biggest mistake I’ve ever had in my life… Why didn’t I just go and ask you out? I know my teenage mindset thought that being embarrassed was not an option.

Oh… I was such an idiot…

And here you are today. Sitting in that seat once again.

The Kageshima drove up the country. It’s as effortless as it did the day it rolled out of the factory.

I’ve done a few choice modifications of course. A car as old as this you have to modernised it to be able to use it properly.

From 2004 until 2008, I was in university. I put another 80,000 hard kilometers into the car. It was at 215,000 kilometres. I got a job in marketing. A good paying job. I finally had the cash to do all the things I want to my car.

So I set about rebuilding that engine. Nothing too drastic. Just a good piston upping the compression. Remapped the ECU. I also put on a bigger exhaust for extra noise. The typical young people stuffs. I also put stiffer suspension in it. And better wheels and tyres. All of those actually to make the car drives better.

And it does drives like a charm. It took a few years. But I finally have the perfect car.

And by that point… I wasn’t going to sell it.

Have I ever thought about selling it? Of course. We all do, don’t we? I had my dream cars. My other life goals. I didn’t sell the Kageshima though. I kept it. Even as I’ve found a nice, tidy example of a BMMA Dolphine TS that I wanted since I was a kid. I bought it, kept it a few years, and sold it on. It was nice, I liked it.

But it’s always the first, wasn’t it? Even if the second was superior in every way. You can never forget the first time…

Just like you.

And then this country went to shit.

The junta government overthrown democracy elected one. And it seems like everything was going well once again. The country saw it’s fair share of conflict. And people thought it was going to end all of those. It of course didn’t. Had these people never learnt anything from the past?! Oh I guess the winner is the one who writes the history book…

You tried your best, willowy girl. I hope you will be able to change something…

The world’s been changing. Many cars of yester years have died merely because it’s uneconomically to do so. People wanted new things, better things, statistically speaking… A lot of Kageshima Progress have been crushed long ago. With every single day more and more example getting crushed because people think it’s just an old car.

That’s the point, isn’t it? For most people it’s just an old car.

Not mine.

Not when everytime I sat in it, the smell still brings me to the first day my dad put me in the back seat of it.

Not when everytime I sat in it, dad’s sitting there, asking me if I had enough lunch money.

Not when everytime I sat in it, I’m driving dad to the places he wanted to go.

Not when everytime I sat in the Progress, you’re there, being lovely as you are.

I drive the Kageshima at constant 120km/h. Not going to stress it, nor waste much fuel. It’s a fairly economical car back in the day. But it’s a gas guzzling big machine now. Most people wouldn’t take it on a trip just because it’s uneconomical. Not for me though.

You’re still asleep on that seat. The journey is going to be a long one, I understand.

It was nearly 2am when we reached the destination. The border. You’ll walked over the border, the bribe’s been paid. That guy will let you go through. It’s much easier when there’s a lot of resent with the government.

“The car is waiting over the border, it’ll take me to the nearest airport. In the morning I’ll be in New Zealand!” You said. A lot calmer than you were this afternoon.
“I hope your journey is going to be a smooth one.”
“Hey… Thank you for helping me out, alright? Hang in there. The worst will subside very soon.”
“Isn’t that what I’m supposed to tell you?!”
“Hahaha.” You laugh. “We will meet again someday, right?”
“I hope we will.” I replied.

You started to turn around and walks toward the booth. With a bag over her shoulder and a passport on the other.

“Hey!” I shouted to you.

We were standing there. Looking at each other for one last time.

“Good luck.”

You smiled, and waved goodbye one last time.

And I knew deep down, that we will never get to meet each other again.

I walked back to the Kageshima parking close by. I didn’t know when it happened, but the tears just started to drop. It was a hectic week that I don’t know if there’s going to be any repecussions in the morning. But that wasn’t on my mind then.

Then, my phone rang. I picked it up and answered it. I knew that voice very well.

“Oh hey, honey.”
“Is everything okay? Have you been crying?”
“No, dear. I haven’t. It’s the hayfever. How’s your mum?”
“Oh she’s terrific as she’s always been. She wanted to see you after new year celebration. Will you drive down to meet her?”
“I said yes, didn’t I? Haha. Definitely, yes.”

As people comes and goes, all the goods and bads in life goes through. People may starts to change, but cars will stay the same.

Old cars… They’re great aren’t they? They’re the holder of memories… The memories that cannot fade away.

No matter what cars you own, you have your stories with it, your own memories.

It doesn’t even matter if it’s a nice, expensive car, or cheap, terrible hooptie.

It’s yours.

Cherish it.

If you’re not going to enjoy your own memories, who will?

And that’s all folks!

The thrashing’s been done.

The result is as followed.

1st bastormonger
2nd thecarlover
3rd koolkei
4th Rk38
5th NormanVauxhall
6th Leonardo9613

This round wasn’t as long as the previous time I ran. But I still put all of my efforts into it! It ended up at just shy of 10,000 words. Half of which is in the last 4 hours of thrashing.

I hope it was enjoyable! And thanks to all the participants!

24 Likes

Congrats to ye olde winner!

And I’m sure I could have made the Kaminari even MORE obnoxiously blue… lol

1 Like

Damn good story @conan and well done to the winner! I guess you win @szafirowy01, I pay the price for using a 14 year old V6 :wink:

2 Likes

Yesss, my V6 was just 11 years old :smile: And yup, I can’t tune suspension and optimise costs, that would be perfectly right :joy:

2 Likes

So kee only? Or UE4 too?

Woohoo! First win!
And damn, @conan, you churned out one hell of a story there, and in impressively short order, too!

I already have a rough idea for the next round, give me maybe 1-2 days to work out the details. And yes, it will be KEE only, UE4 just isn’t the way to go yet.

10 Likes

What a way to win for the first time ever! And props to conan for getting all the reviews done well ahead of time, with loads of lovely flavor text for good measure.

1 Like

Great effort Conan. I’m sure we all appreciate the wall of text and the speedy delivery of results.

4 Likes

Congrats to winner! Big thanks to @conan for a swift fun and very enjoyable story. I think it was right and proper that a sedan won over a liftback as that’s the true old person way. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Couldn’t agree more with you on that one, and the client’s conservative tastes meant that he preferred cars which used older, more angular bodies (made out of steel) and had an emphasis on comfort.

And about that Progress: if it looks like a premium cruiser and drives like a premium cruiser, then it is certainly a premium cruiser.

1 Like

I had plenty of emphasis on comfort and drivability, but had my usual plain design and rounded design lost right off on looks alone. Maybe one day Ill get to where I can make pretty designs as well as functional designs.

I designed the car as a executive car…maybe should have gone for a reps car. And it should have been partial alu! :open_mouth:

The Car Shopping Round 59: Ricing-san

Paintjobs even a blind man would hesitate to show himself in, camber angles that make the Tower of Pisa look straight, wings you could comfortably dine on and exhaust notes resembling a frenzied blender trying to shred nickels and dimes - that was the world of Kenji Haruzake. At least, it used to be.

Over the course of some 20 years, Haruzake-san had garnered recognition and respect, becoming a bit of a hero in the scene. But as he was approaching 40 and starting to appreciate the historical significance of vintage cars, a tender bud of doubt started to sprout inside him, slowly eating away at his enthusiasm for garish color schemes and boisterous bodykits, growing ever larger in the process.

One day, he saw a heavily modified car drive past. It was a model he hadn’t seen in years. It was then that the lingering doubt finally got the better of him. The realization struck him like lightning: All these years, he had been sinning! Fighting the tears, he headed home, sunk into his thinking chair, and pondered: How could he atone for his wrongdoings? How could he placate the ancient car gods?

It didn’t take him long. He knew what he had to do. For every car he maimed into what he has been convinced was a piece of art, he would acquire one ruined gem and restore it to its former glory. He lunged to his feet energetically and checked for the next bosozoku cars meet. What would his first rescue candidate be?

How this round works

(Still using the KEE engine)
This will be a somewhat unusual round with an element of uncertainty added in, where you’ll have to guesstimate how old, and therefore collectible, your submitted car needs to be to meet the pricing target. Scores will be determined using two seperate styling scores, one based around how much of an icon the original car is, the other around how badly it is modified. The final score will be modified according to how close the car’s calculated value comes to meeting the target.

The year is 2010 and Ricing-san is looking for ruined JDM classics he can restore. Entries must consist of 2 trims: A stock one and a modified one.
The stock trim must be an icon from at least 20 years ago (trim year 1990 or earlier; preferably a good deal older)
The modified trim can be any year from the stock trim to 2010 (year has no effect on scoring), and should be as wild and garish as possible. Any type of car can be entered - a timeless station wagon can work just as well as an exotic sports coupe or even an ancient, near-extinct kei car. The style scoring system is as follows:

• The stock trim will be scored up to 12 points, comprised of up to 6 points for how much Kenji likes the styling of the car and another 6 points for the car’s historical significance. The scoring is subjective, albeit with a bias towards expensive/posh cars for styling and towards age for historical significance (Sexy and expensive cars can potentially score better in the first part, cheaper ‘everyday hero’ cars can be older and therefore score higher on historical significance)
  • The modified trim will get a score of up to 8 points. This is also based on subjective criteria with a bias towards extreme designs - the wilder, the better.
    The overall styling score is (stock trim score)*(modified score), i.e. a car with a stock score of 9 and a modified score of 6 will get 54 points in total.

There are no restrictions regarding Price/PU/ET. Rather, I will calculate the value of the car based on attrition (technical value) vs collectability (heritage value). The asking price of the car is the sum of the technical and heritage value.

• Technical value is calculated based on this Excel sheet:
    Techvalue.xlsx.zip (4.1 KB)
    Simply fill in the stats of your stock trim in a2, b2, c2 to get the technical value of your car. The result may well turn negative, in which case it will be considered zero - from a purely technical point of view, the car is basically worthless - however:

• Heritage value is added to the tech value and increases progressively (slowly at first, then increasingly sharper) and is influenced by Prestige and Reliability. The posher the car, the steeper its price will rise due to collectability. As a rule of thumb: If you submit a pricey exotic, make it rather young, plain everyday heroes should be older to make up in historical value for what they lack in status.

Ricing-san is planning to spend somewhere around 8,000$ on the project. If the calculated price falls within the range of 7,500 - 8,500$, the pricing modifier will be an ideal -0% - the car retains its full styling score.
If it falls below or above that, a penalty is calculated as (1/5 of the deviation in %)². This is the percentage that will be subtracted from the styling score. Example: A 10,000$ car is 1,500$ over the 8,500$ upper bracket (~17,6%). (17,6/5)²=12.46, meaning that the score will be reduced by 12,5%.

Please advertise the stock trim only - I will reveal the modified trims in the course of the evaluation.

Hints

• Stats are not important, apart from prestige and reliability of the stock trim, as these affect the way the car’s value develops. Stats of the riced trim have no relevance whatsoever
  • This round is mainly about styling, which goes two ways: The more iconic the stock trim and the more miserable the riced trim, the better
  • Recommended age for normal cars is about 30-40 years, slightly less for very expensive cars/slightly more for very cheap ones. Note that very old cars (40+) can become really expensive as they are becoming antiques.
  • Kenji is looking for JDM-like cars, so f.ex. American muscle or hypercars aren’t likely to pique his interest. Apart from that, the scoring system is made such that pretty much any kind of car can score well.
  • You can use the Techvalue-spreadsheet for reference, but it may actually be better not to calculate anything and just estimate an appropriate age for your car: the cheaper the car, the older it should be to be valuable, the more expensive it is, the younger it should be (any car entered should be at least ~25 years old, though)

Deadline: Friday, 29.12. 21:00 GMT

EDIT: Rule set overhaul

10 Likes

Ok so read this and realized I may need to to read it 3 or 10 more times to get it. :hushed:

4 Likes