The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

uhh, i was actually asking @JohnWaldock and @KLinardo to. since they’re the original creator.

i default that to the roundmaster, mon frere

Oh sorry I misunderstood where your question was directed to!

You’re free to post your own cars here before the next round starts. If not you can always post them on your own thread or else on the open source thread.

1 Like

so are either of you are going to post the car? or nah?

I’m at work and haven’t even looked at what strop has done in his revisions so you’re going to have to be a little more patient…

CSR Round 18: The Kit Car Dune Buggy

The year is 1967 and the kit car industry is in full swing. With simple tools everyone can build and customise his own little sportscar. That’s always something I wanted to do myself. This year I saw something new, which seemed to be rather fun: It was a dune buggy, big wheels, good offroad capability, while still being fun to drive. I wonder if something like this is on
the market…

Your job is to build a cheap dune buggy.

• You have to use the mass-produced base engine family. Don’t modify that. The engine trim is considered to be a modified version of the base engine from a mass produced car of another manufacturer.

• I will determine the sales price of the car and consider engineering time, production units and material cost. The engineering time and production units will cost $25 each. The base engine will be substracted from your engine variant, so only the changes you make will affect the cost.
    So choose parts with low engineering time to make your car affordable.

• You don’t have to adjust/send engineering or factory settings.

Der Bayer - CSR 18 Template.zip (74.6 KB)

How will I choose the winner?

The scoring will be based on 4 criteria:

• desirability: mostly based on sportiness, drivability, offroad, convertible. smaller influences have comfort, safety, prestige.
  • cost: anything related to cost - affordability, maintenance, reliability, running cost.
  • visuals
  • (off)road test: I will run the cars in the BRC simulation (single lap time trial with standing start and 20 kg of fuel) on a new, short track with offroad mechanics I already have prototyped some time ago. Your car’s performance will be penalized based on the offroad rating of the track segment compared to the offroad rating and tyre compound of the car. The track will consist of partly asphalt, partly gravel and sand. No heavy rocks, so you don’t need a heavy duty offroader.

You have to score well to at least be considered. But the highest scoring car may not be the overall winner. If your car is just not affordable, I will not consider it. The same happens if the car is just butt-ugly. So the judging is not only based on numbers.

Deadline: Monday, August 1, 6 pm CEST.
Please send the Automation Export of your car in a PM to me.
One car per participant only. No revisions.
Naming scheme: Car Model: CSR19-car name; Car Trim: CSR19-player name
Mods: Everything except weird morphing bodies and additional engine spot mods
Stable release game version.

Have fun! I will be away over this weekend, so get a feeling for the challenge and I will answer any questions from Monday on! I try to take a look in here in between to catch any major issues though.

3 Likes

open beta or stable?

So we have to use the provided engine family, but we can make our own variant, is that correct?

Stable, and yes, make your own variant. You may use the base trim of course, too.

so not really 4x4 offroad but more like a dakar rally offroad?

damn, a 1.1L pushrod i4? this is gonna be a bit harsh

Can we use the trick that allows us to change head type of an engine family?

I don’t know that trick and that’s obviously cheating.

i just noticed that we’re already using the new competitors pack O_O

okay, this is gonna be a bit harder than i thought

If you change the year while working on the engine it allows you to change the head type and material.

so 1967, light and fun, with the engine you’ve supplied @Der_Bayer???

A lot of you aren’t from post war europe, am I right? :joy:

1.1 liter pushrod is enough to have fun with. Znopresk have rebuilt his entire lineup after the war around the 1.1 liter “Rinascita” engine.

This could be fun. The engine puts us a little more on a level playing field, there’s only so much we can do with it, but a 1.1L pushrod engine isn’t the worst thing to build off of. Light, fun, and fast, I think I can manage that.

oh yeah i forgot. post war europe, the small car boom.

well if the car is also small enough, i guess it’s plenty, but that means limiting the body options.

Excuse me Mr. Bayer, shouldn’t this be “CSR18”? :grin:

A revolutionary format for this round: a spec series in 1967 featuring dune buggies with a common engine - a 1.1L OHV four whose head and block must both be left as-is - and only styling alterations to distinguish them? I’ll accept the challenge. However, must we build pure off-road vehicles out of these buggies, or do they have to also perform well on tarmac? And is there an absolute maximum estimated price to stay under, with or without markups?

And yes, I am still using the current stable release. But this is the 18th round, not the 19th. You should edit your post regarding the rules to reflect this.

Edit: Parts can be upgraded and replaced, and we can adjust the gearing and suspension as we see fit.