The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

Yup, have had no trouble running it thus far.

I think you meant the open beta sandbox - I’ve heard horror stories from other users about the lite campaign.

Edit: The last time @phale hosted a round we were asked to build sub-$18k utility trucks. That round was ultimately won by @HowlerAutomotive. I wonder what’s in store for the 21st round of this contest?

He meant the sandbox in the open beta :point_up:

1 Like

I can reveal that I was the guy that threw a spanner in the works sorry people.

edit: but really I thought strops would win hands down, and madrias didnt re-enter so my vote for him was null and void and I voted for koolkei for third
but anyway woohoo new result. However I have found that files are not exporting correctly with my particular game ATM just a heads up @phale maybe check to make sure you are receiving entries as they are meant to be

1 Like

I could have won the round :joy: lol nah jokes it’s all good.

The Car Shopping Round 21: Legendary 40s Cars… on a budget

Hello everyone! I am part of a team that is working on a documentary on classic cars from the 40s, 50s, and 60s. We plan to cover all types of cars, from sports cars and race cars, to GTs and luxobarges. We’ve got a couple of Chevys, a 300SL, even a DB4. Unfortunately, we kind of blew our budget before we got a 40s car penciled in for the show. This is where you come in.

(Car and engine year: 1946.)

We want a car that can stand shoulder to shoulder with some of the legends in automotive history. We want a car with character, one that has a story to tell. What that story is, is up to you. Perhaps it’s a race car that surpassed its competitors with the limited technology of the time. Perhaps it’s a luxury car that exuded so much class it is remembered to this day. Whatever the story is, the car has to be memorable and prestigious. We’re not looking for a Mini here. (Prestige, comfort, sportiness, track time, etc. will all be considered based on the type of car and its story.)

Here’s the catch, though: We need a car that we can actually get our hands on. That means a car that was produced in a significant enough number that they aren’t ridiculously rare today. The original sale price of the car isn’t that important.
(Maximum estimated price of $40000 with 100% markup. You may want to target less than this. But more importantly, I will be looking carefully at the production costs of the engine and body. Also, using limited production parts may hinder your score.)

And we want a car that was actually in production in the 40s, not designed in the 40s and produced in the 50s.
(Maximum engineering time of 48 months, the lower the better.)

We plan on driving this thing around on public roads, and we know how difficult and unsafe old cars can be. We’d really like to not crash our one 40s car during filming. We also want it to be able to run without having to stop and fix it all the time. (Drivability, reliability, and safety are important.)

This is a minor concern, but we are on a budget so we’d like to not have exorbitant fuel or running costs. It’s hard to get leaded fuel these days!

Oh and just in case it wasn’t clear, this car is going to be on camera. Do try to make it look nice, please. That last sentence may be a bit of an understatement.

We’re on a tight schedule, so if you have a car that you can offer us, we’d like to hear from you by 8:00PM EST Thursday, September 29. We encourage you to tell us as much about the car as possible. What is the car’s character, what is its story? What makes it unique? We’d like to set up a nice classic car show over the weekend and we’ll choose our car at the conclusion of the show.

Cars will be judged in open beta, not stable release.

Submission format:
Model: CSR21 - Username
Trim: Car Name
Engine: CSR21 - Username
Variant: Engine Name

Good luck everyone! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Oh, this’ll be so much fun!

(I think I had the perfect car, but RIP my cars)

OFF TO BUILDING (Once I learn 2 fucking speeches…)

There have been a few rounds of this contest set in the 80s, and one set in the 60s, but as the first round set in the 40s (specifically, the immediate post-war period, and a year before the first issue of Road & Track was published) this would be the first one chronologically. This sounds like a totally new kind of challenge - and one that I could sink my teeth into. But whatever I come up with, it must be something that still gets talked about 70 years later… for the right reasons.

Edit: Can the engineering time be determined by simply looking in the trim engineering tab? Right now I’m getting only 2 years and 10 months, for a total of 32 months - 16 less than the maximum limit.

YES awesome been waiting for this challenge…It is a pity we cant use our lite campaign cars yet.

In Open Beta, the displayed engineering time is the engineering time in months. This is NOT the case in stable, so I highly recommend building the car in Beta. Also, the estimated price is different in Beta.

1 Like

we just survived a war. lets build a car :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
the streets will be full of rubble

I’ve got a plan for this one…

Just for the record, my post above about the foursome trying to win the rubber had nothing to do with anything sexual. It’s actually something when playing Bridge. (I heard the reference on Jeopardy, have no idea how to play it)

2 Likes

I’d be surprised if anybody here knew how to Play bridge :joy: closest I got was 500. Good times.

LVC - turtle

where should i start? ah yes the chassis
it had a
-ladder, galvanised steel chassis
-rear engine
-front and rear double wishbone suspension
-and most odd thing ALUMINIUM panels

so now the body
-since the hood is so big everyone thinks the engine is in the front, but no the hood is so big so you can still fit stuff inside. also the fuel tank is in the hood as well.

-it has popup headlight. the most unusual thing you will find in this era
-in case the popup fail, you have two tiny headlight right next to the blinkers so you can drive home safely
-while everyone is using cheap colour, this comes with sky blue colour

now lets come to the most basic stuff we have here. the engine
-inline 3 1.5 liter
-pushrod
-carburetor
-runs on 92 leaded

next thing
it only had 3 speed manual gearbox
top speed is 155 KM/H

the seats are bit pricy. there are 4 seats premium quality
also a premium am radio

the safety was advanced too

what costs such thing?
18400$ (with +100 markup)

well… i think this one is not gonna be my forte.

In Open Beta, the displayed engineering time is the engineering time in months.

Is the engineering time (in months) viewable in the detailed stats tab of the overview in the open beta? Are we allowed to use parts that cannot be mass-produced or, at the very least, force limited instead of full-scale production? And is regular leaded recommended over super leaded?

it is viewable EVERYWHERE… it’s now below the “production unit”…

The Devillain DR6 is not exactly known for being a fast car, but in 1946, it held a speed record for some time: It was the fastest American car to run without leaded gasoline. While the engine was low-powered compared to some of the other cars of the era, only boasting 136 horsepower from a 4-liter Inline 6, it was built from the ground up to run lead-free.

The DR6 is as close to luxury as one could get on a mass-production scale. The two bucket seats are leather, with a high quality AM radio in the dash. There was an access panel just above the radio to make replacement of tubes easier, as Old Man Devillain himself believed that ripping the dash apart to replace one blown out vacuum tube was ridiculous. The interior is black, with small chrome accents around the gauges, the gear-shift, and the horn ring on the steering wheel.

Everything in this car is mechanical, giving a very satisfying feel to even the most mundane actions you’d take for granted in more modern cars. Turning on the blower fan to get some air moving in the cabin involves shifting the miniature three-speed gearbox in the dash to your preferred speed, which runs the blower fan from a drive pulley on the belts at the front of the engine. Turning on the heat involves turning a valve to bypass hot coolant from the engine into the heater core. Adjusting the mirrors from inside the car uses a crank and gears to swivel the mirrors despite them being out of your reach. A hand-throttle on the steering column acts as a primitive cruise control.

While 11.4 MPG sounds downright dismal, just keep in mind that you could just drive the Devillain DR6 to your local gas station and fill it up with any grade of gasoline. It was designed to run on 76 octane unleaded gasoline, so it will quite happily run on regular unleaded, which means you won’t have to worry about the DR6 gulping down your expensive leaded fuels needed for your other cars in the documentary. The engine itself has three single-barrel carburettors, allowing the engine to take the big swigs of gasoline it requires to avoid pre-detonation.

The gearbox is your fairly-average synchronized four-speed, with an open rear differential. Despite the low power, the DR6 will still spin the rear wheels quite easily through first gear, entirely due to the thin tires of the era, running on 125 mm medium-compound tires on 14-inch steel rims. The brakes are fairly-standard drums, a little oversize compared to a lot of cars of the same era, with some duct-work to borrow some ‘warm air’ off the radiator to help cool the brakes and reduce the brake fade. There’s still quite a bit of fade, but it’s better than it would’ve been otherwise.

While this particular car isn’t the one that ran the 1946 unleaded speed record, it is the car John Storm’s father owned, and has been in the Storm family ever since.

There’s also a myth behind the Devillain DR6, that those who drive one become rich and famous. It seems to have worked so far for the Storm family, with John Storm’s father owning a very successful logging company in the 40’s and 50’s, and John Storm himself founding a highly successful car company. There might still be a bit of luck behind the wheel of this old car. Many celebrities owned one in the late 40’s and early 50’s, so maybe there’s a bit of credit to the myth?

No matter how you look at it, the Devillain DR6 is a good choice for your documentary. It’s relatively easy to drive, it’s reasonably comfortable and prestigious, it’s safe, and it’ll run on modern unleaded pump gas without problems. They were also fairly common cars in the day, so if you choose to seek one out on your own, it’s highly likely that you’ll find one in good condition. While the DR6 isn’t the prettiest car in the world, nor the fastest, nor the easiest to maintain, it’s the jack of all trades.

6 Likes

I want to use my Mott Works Aqueous but I dont think i designed that until 1948.