The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

JHW Aureax: Oldschool Driving, Modern Feel

1 Like

I really want to use my inline 3 but no superchargers or turbo dammit so i can enter a car with real world specs or go full automation and put a v8 turbo inā€¦its bad when you have 0-100 times at 5sec and 6/100 economy and you say to yourself its just not fast enough

To hint at what I alluded to earlier, HOL has been saying this is about replacing the GT86, which means it may not necessarily be about squeezing ridiculous amounts of everything out of the budget. Even with a budget of 22k, one can make something very fast and good at everything. Kind of like making a low-rent M2 or something. But I just donā€™t think thatā€™s the point, so Iā€™m going to put my foot down and say 0-100 times of 5s and 6/100 economy is enough.

But thatā€™s just me, for this round. Everybody here knows that if I was allowed to Iā€™d shoot for 4 digit outputs on any given budget :joy:

2 Likes

Yeah i sat back when designing and asked myself what would a real life competitor would be so 210hp should be enoughā€¦ off topic strop i believe that my saratoga is now possibly the fastest sub $100000 NA RWD 4 seat coupe in automation 7:10 around green hell car cost 65999@ 50% markup so i am coming for you horse man

That Saratoga is fast, no denying it, but with a little more suspension tuning, more engine fettling, and a lot more downforce my Okuma would chop your Saratoga :yum: just saying, especially with 14k left to reach the price of the Saratogaā€¦ be afraid strop, be very afraid :grin:

i am working on an updated Version of the Vichingo, just a little more reasonable this time :smiley:

Oh, Iā€™m positively quaking in my widdle booties :joy:

But seriously from a GG point of view itā€™d take me moving heaven and earth (i.e. my entire supply and production chain) to use anything other than CF for chassis and skin. This mandates that I pitch my cars somewhat more expensive, hence probably >100k. So we canā€™t really compete on the same level, boo.

If you can get a sub 100k car around Green Hell in under 7 minutes (using reasonable tyres), then Iā€™d be impressed.

Lol dont worry i am yet to play with suspension tuning mwhahaha i can also change to carbon parts yet as well as brake tuning ect but im not going to go larger than 5.5l natural aspirated and the correct number of cylinders but you know i thought id tone it down abitā€¦your Okuma is my competition and will NEVER outrun my fish. Just to be able to make something in the same league as strop is enough for me

edit. Strop thats the point of my car its not as good as a gg product but it is half the priceā€¦ sorta like a shelby mustang trying to compete with a koenigseggā€¦ i think i can. I think i can. I think i can lol

2 Likes

Game on :sunglasses: and Iā€™m sticking with a 100% markup

First things first: sequential transmission

That doesnā€™t mean I wonā€™t try to beat you :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Ok thst was deleted because this is not the place i got carried away sorry.

Strop wat do you consider not crazy tyres? I usually go no higher than +6 soft sports

Oh, for my low-mid tier super/hypercar road legal stuff I use either 7 or 8+ sports, but 6+ seems reasonable.

Are you still doing this on an FR 2+2 with an NA engine? If I made this thing all aluminium instead of CF the 0% markup is like 40k :joy:

Yep 4+4 all alloy body and engine no turbo no vvl 5550cc v8 crossplane 7sp manual hydro suspension passive sway bars vented brakes and carbon wheels atm

Umm your Saratoga has a 7 speed sequential

The hlc car doesā€¦

Ahh I didnā€™t know there were these many different Saratogae

lol Iā€™m getting confused. Point me to where the cars are based? I donā€™t even know what bodies youā€™re using! (because the body Iā€™m using doesnā€™t support 2+2, only 2 seats).

how about smaller bodies?

2 Likes

We at Centauri believe everyone should have a v8, with a $15300 pre-markup price tag this 2+2 performance coupe is affordable power that wonā€™t let you down. The 330hp 4.6 v8 is specially tuned to deliver itā€™s best whatever you ask for, keep the rpms below 2500, which gets you up to 70MPH in 6th, and it quietly burbles along with a healthy torque output and an excellent 32mpg(US), give it the beans and youā€™ll hear the tuned baffled exhaust open up, under the hood the Centauri Protean Valve System will be shifting lobes and adjusting timing, and youā€™ll be pulled hard right up to the 6800rpm redline in a wail of V8 fury. Show it some corners and unlike most American V8 coupes of yore the Marauder will bite down on the pavement and deliver more than 1G in laterial grip with steady and predictable cornering.

6 Likes

That Marauder looks ace - the first time I saw pictures of it, I was immediately reminded of a fifth-gen Mustang. As for the engine you used, did you use VVL and/or VVT, and if so, how did you tune it? Also, why did you use multi-point injection with a single throttle, instead of direct injection and/or multiple throttle bodies?

Edit: @nialloftara I get why you configured your engine as you did. However, due to my carā€™s small engine bay, I couldnā€™t fit a straight-six larger than 2.4L in it, so even with a turbo, I used forged internals, individual throttle bodies, and direct injection to get as much power, torque and throttle response out of it as I could while preserving enough reliability to meet requirements, although I still ended up with a sub-20k pre-markup estimated price. I also understand your use of double wishbones at each corner - a multilink rear, as used on my entry, would have provided increased sportiness, drivability and comfort, as well as the ability to install wider rear tires, but the extra production cost and engineering time ruled it out for you.

Probably lore, given it would take a bit of slightly advanced engineering for companies to adopt DI commonly for a couple of years yet. If youā€™re just crunching numbers, of course, then DI admittedly does offer significant advantages so it takes some real resolve to use otherwise.

As for the single throttle body, with these kind of outputs, itā€™s not like a single body is strangling anything too much yet.