The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

I agree.

You do know that the EcoBoost Mustang is still RWD, right? It actually makes more HP and Torque than the V6 entry model (with a little computer limiting on the V6’s HP).
That little tidbit doesn’t really get to the overall discussion, but I thought it needed to be pointed out.

How about the Buick Grand National GNX? 3.8l twin turbo V6 RWD. The most powerful GM to come out of the '80s, would that count as a muscle car?

lol, what a discussion!

IMHO, a muscle car is in the eye of the beholder. It’s not a well enough defined term to get too specific.

I think any powerful coupe-like car that provides at least a small “out of control” sense constitutes a muscle car. Piston count or drive-train type really do not directly matter.

A great example is the modern Eco-boost Mustang. Compare that to a 1986 Trans-Am and tell me which one is more of a “Muscle Car”

In all honestly, I never really liked the term. When I hear it, I think mostly about the classic muscle cars, which I respect, but don’t really like for myself. Horrible brakes & suspension in a massively over sized body with a huge low economy engine. That’s what I think of first when I hear the term. At least some, like the corvette, weren’t too big, but they weren’t really piratical, either.

Moving on, next competition please :wink:

This discussion may be a bit off topic for the thread, but there’s no need to move on quite so quickly when the current Round Master hasn’t reached a decision on whether to use Open Beta or not. Espeically not when you’ve heaped more fuel for the fire with an opinion like that :stuck_out_tongue: What are you trying to do, hit and fade?

That being said, I would like to see a decision and the new rule set on that sometime today. If (and when) that happens, we should definitely get going.

Terribly sorry for not providing input sooner! The last couple of nights have had me working/researching late (by choice because I love what I do), but I have been silently stalking the thread via my phone. As my desktop is at my home and I can’t do my work at home (for reasons) I’ve not been able to opt in to the beta and check the changes myself. Totally on me for that.

BIG SHOUT OUT to UMGaming for the strawpoll. Very helpful. Since it has been nearly 48hr (right? sure) and the current standing is 76% Beta and 24% Stable, I will call it for the Beta folks. If I can be allowed a short play with the Beta for my idea/ruleset (Beta is loading as I type) I will have rules up and ready in less than 24hrs for sure and possibly within 30mins-2hrs (fingers crossed).

Edited Below:

OK, with a bit of playtime down and some reconsideration I think I’ve got it.

[size=150]The Future is NOW. 1985[/size]

It’s 1985 and the world is weird. The Cold War still gripes the world. President Ronald Reagan and General Secretary Mikhail Gorbachev meet for the first time in Switzerland. Meanwhile, Coca-Cola just released “New Coke”. A US and French coalition found the titanic. Symbolics.com becomes the first registered “.COM”. Microsoft releases the first version of Windows 1.0, and compact discs are introduced to consumers.

Perhaps most importantly, the movie Back to the Future gets released.

This is, of course, where I come in. I’m a 20-something year old business associate who just got put on the fast-track . I’ve got a college education, a great paying job, but I’m sorely lacking something that screams me. I started small time and “inherited” a 1976 AMC Pacer, but now it’s got to go. I need a fancy car to show off to all those losers at my high school who said I’d never be anything! Super, Sports or Muscle. Whatever it is it’s got to be powerful, fast and make a statement.

Rules & Suggestions:
-Trim year should be 1985. Model and Engine year should be no earlier than 1975 and no later than 1985. Older bodies are fine as long as the model and trim years are correct.
-My budget is roughly $32,500 with at least a 5% profit for the main company. I mean FINAL NOT ESTIMATED. Do whatever with the new engineering tabs as long as the FINAL list price is around ** $32,500 (5%).** Going over budget will be considered, but will receive a proportional level discouragement penalty during final considerations.
-I’m looking for something I can drive every day. It needs, however, to be sporty and capable on the track and strip. It’s got to show that it can respect the streets, but can also destroy them.
-That being said I do like my back so it’s got to have some level of comfort.
-I also really like my tapes so a cassette player is a must.
-I don’t have any kids and this is my car. 2 seats is fine, but if you can manage more my friends and girlfriend might appreciate it. Their opinion matters a bit to me, but a cool coupe could capably cease their chats. That said if a 4 door is as capable and better I won’t hesitate.
-I plan to own this car for a while so it should be reliable with a minimum overall reliability of 60.
-It’s got to be fast with quick 0-100km/h (or 0-62mph) and the faster the better.
-I’d also like a minimum of 300HP; the more the better (but know there should be limits to madness)
-No catalytic converters are necessary. Moderately loud and proud is preferred, but my neighbors might complain if it’s too much (No more than 55 loudness)
-95 premium gas is fine, but no leaded gas please. Efficiency wise I don’t care too much, but the less I have to stop to fuel up the happier I’ll be.
-I want this car to be easy to handle because I’m a businessman first and not a racecar driver.
-Prestige is pretty important to me. It has to look the business and be the business.
-I have no preference for manual or automatic. (FYI in this era irl, at least as far as I recall, automatics are light luxury features so automatics will receive a slightly perceived prestige bonus)
-Exterior looks are weighted HEAVILY. This is the 80s. The future is NOW!

I feel with the year and budget there should be enough room to play (sorry for no new bodies as far as I can tell), but also require some tight choices. I also think we can see a good variety because the character isn’t picky assuming all the suggestions are appropriately considered. I know this may not satisfy the itch for everyone, but I hope you enjoy it nonetheless as I tried to go for a year that hasn’t seen much attention to my knowledge (for better or worse).

I’ll set the due date as March 29th as the upcoming weekend is Easter. I know people travel and I don’t want anyone to worry about that. So this upcoming week + Monday (and the weekend) should be more than enough time. I’ll try to answer any questions or concerns as I can.

Good Luck Guys & Gals

Ok, good to know! We can get the next round started whenever you’re ready.

The 1985 Facciamo Cars Harrticalia Base 2.2.2

Now, Do you want an Italian Stallion? A true beast? Then the Harrticalia Base 2.2.2 is the one for you!.

Now, Base 2.2.2 is broken down like this:
Base = Chassis
2 = Spaceframe
2= Mid-engined
2= Rear-Wheel Drive

So, You’re getting a MONSTER of a Car.

The Harrticalia makes over 300hp, and rockets on to 262km/h, so… Have fun!

You don’t need to be a true Race Driver to handle this Stallion!

Coming ONLY in Phantom Blue, with it’s 3.4L Crossplane V8, this is a real beast…

At only $32,300. This is the Stallion for you!

~Vri

So, it’s 1985 and you’re in need of a new car. Something fun, something… sporty. Something that will impress everyone, yet you could live with day-to-day. Something sleek and futuristic with a sense of style.

Storm Automotive may just have the car for you, with the Storm Xenon. Pop-up headlights for improved aerodynamics, digital gauges, top-of-the-line tape deck, comfortable seating for 4 people (and you can actually fit two people in the back seats!), a punchy twin-turbocharged V8, 5 speed stick, T-Top roof, and many more little features you’ll appreciate in your car.

With All-Wheel-Drive, you’ll have better 0-60 performance than many people can claim, and with double-wishbone suspension on a unibody chassis, you’ll have excellent handling. The trunk is big enough to hold just about anything you’d want, and has a dedicated space for the T-Top covers, so they’re never lost, damaged, or left behind on a rainy afternoon.

So, how much will this implement of precision driving and comfort cost you? A touch less than $32,500.

Np for the strawpoll

Entry level sports for the corporate winner… where’s VosNox when you need him, this is right up Normandy’s alley.

The Fahrzeug Corporation has done poorly in the last decade due to gas prices and changing regulations. Almost all of their remaining money went into research to get on the technological edge. And here it is! The first car of 2 for the new C series to be made in 1985. This Sport Convertible edition may not look like much on the outside but is filled with the latest tech on the inside!

The new C series uses the latest in German mechanical engineeering (and even some Japanese electronics) to give you features such as a high quality Geared AWD system in all of the Sport models. The new electronic convertible can make the car even more fun to drive. A powerful Twin Turbo V8 uses the latest in engine technology to push the car to its limits without pushing your wallet! It also has perineum leather seats and a cassette player to make your ride conferable! The 5 speed Manual gives you control over your car. The all new AWD system and Double Wishbone Suspension system makes ease of driving a standard! End up with a Family of four or a few friends? The 5 seats and plenty of interior space have you covered! Even better is the starting price of only $28,000!

Looking for tech? Find it in a Fahrzeug!

Introducing the distant future!

The 1985 Kirk CNK34

img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/Carskick/1985%20Kirk%20CNK34.png

This car is guaranteed to look and feel like it came from decades in the future!

A high-revving Turbo V8 with Electronic Fuel Injection rumbles right behind your seat as it throws you into the future in record time.

Let’s just say when you pull up to your 10 year High School reunion in this, you may as well be landing in a rocket ship.

don’t forget about this one guys :slight_smile:

the deadline is 1 day after the '76 BRC endurance. if you finish your car earlier, you may have more time to make it for this one.

Good call koolkei. I already made my car in nonbeta and when BRC is done I will just tweak it to beta standards.

Behold, the new 1985 Shromet 538GTS. Everything we’ve been working towards.

Everything about the 538GTS is revolutionary. It uses a Twin Turbo 6 liter V12 to produce 476 Horsepower and 729 Newton Meters of Torque. Combine that with a revolutionary All Wheel Drive system and you have a car that does 0-60 in 3.7 Seconds, The quarter mile in under 12 Seconds, and has a top speed of 178 Miles Per Hour.

But It’s not just all about brute Performance. It features fully adjustable air suspension that can be raised and lowered at any time. The Interior is made by hand, and uses only the highest quality materials. Not to mention, It gets 17 Miles to the gallon, making it not only perfect for the track, but perfect for daily use.

Prices start at $35,000. Don’t be left behind the curve. Be a revolutionary with the Shromet 538GTS.

New for 1985 is Megacorp Transportation Conglomerate, a new division of Megacorp Incorporated, with the CSC1 CP-6T. Powered by the Megacorp DO85-I6 3.2T-MPI engine, it is a sleek and modern sport coupe that does not sacrifice practicality. The turbocharged inline six with 5-speed manual transmission and all wheel drive will take you from 0 to 100 in 4.3 seconds and to a top speed of 254 km/h while providing excellent grip in all weather conditions. It gets 16.3 mpg and we recommend the finest Megacorp 95-octane fuel to keep the engine in its best condition. The premium interior seats four in comfortable leather with everything electrically operated, including the seats. The LeakFree[size=70]TM[/size] gullwing doors provide easy entrt and exit and can be opened in tighter spaces than traditional doors. Comfort and dynamic driving is also assured from the double wishbone air suspension while the corrosion resistant steel frame with aluminium panels is guaranteed to not rust.

The CSC1 CP-6T can be yours for only 30,641. Contact your local Megacorp T.C. dealership for a test drive and purchase arrangements.

Trust Megacorp Incorporated for your transportation needs. After all, we’re already everywhere else in your life.

Revera proudly presents the new Revera NR 280 Turbo.

1 Like

A young business exec starting his giant leap forward into his career? Look no further than the Ventnor Regent.

The 1985 model year sees exciting new changes for this beautiful automobile. Bringing back a legend from the sixties the Regent now sports a new modern 301 Triforce V8 good for 330 hp.
For that extra flair go for the Landau version.

You may ask yourself “What sets the Regent apart from the other cars in the field?” The answer is simple: Class, refinement, prestige. Here at Ventnor*, we’re not trying to be the fastest, or the biggest. We’re only going for the best. When you show up at your class reunion driving a Ventnor, people won’t see someone showing off. They’ll see a discerning, cultured, sophisticated individual with uncompromising standards. With the Regent, you’ll get a smooth luxurious interior conforming only to the strict standards we employ at Ventnor. Standard equipment includes, AM/FM Premium Cassette Radio, Power Steering, ABS, Air Conditioning, Heated Power Seats, Power Windows, Heated Power Mirrors, and an all new Digital Instrument Cluster. In addition, the Quantum Fuel Injection** provides ideal power while minimizing fuel consumption. A new electronic four-speed automatic transmission channels power down through the J-Diff** to the wheels. This makes the Ventnor Regent the most technologically sophisticated automobile on the road today. It may not be the fastest car on the road, but when you’re driving a Ventnor, you’ll never want your drive to end. Just remember: When you’re important, people will wait.

So what are you waiting for? Come on down and test drive a Regent today. You can take one home today for the low low price of $32,550. That comes complete with our 5-50 warranty. 5 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Ventnor: Redefining luxury.

[size=50]*Ventnor is a subsidiary of Petoskey Motors ZLC. All sales of Petoskey or Ventnor products are suspended pending criminal investigation.
**Quantum Fuel Injection and J-Diff are copyrighted trademarks of Petoskey Motors ZLC, any unauthorized use will be met with our lawyers coming down on you like a ton of bricks.[/size]

Keep up the good work guys they are looking very good! Or as they might have said in the 80s (and in car related fashion), your cars are looking very clutch!

edit: Also D@mn Asdren! I didn’t initially realize that was GIF until I was like “wait a tick, that changed”. Props where props are due that is a very cool way to show off a car.