The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

i made a strange choice for mine, but it has a satisfying bakstory

Also made an unusual choice in mine, partially for backstory, and partially because I never think to use that kind of fuel.

well, iā€™ve also been ballsy and built a 4x4 Saloon

a what?

Wow.

p.s. I have no idea what kind of stopping distances cars of the 40s achieved, but letā€™s just say, holy crap, Iā€™ve built an actual ballistic missile. I did not know it was plenty possible to go 300km/h in 1946 :joy: And thatā€™s with trying to keep the MPG reasonable (13US MPG). Or, in other words, 700Nm of torque all the way from 1800 to 4000rpm.

Well, that is also unusual. Still, if it floats your boat, go for it.

in the process of making a car with heavy backgroundā€¦ i managed to do thisā€¦

#[humanism]HOW IS THIS EVEN POSSIBLE???[/humanism]

Umā€¦ I think the big heavy engineā€™s supposed to go in the front of the car, not the back.

stillā€¦ an understeering oversteer tendency car???

Where is the problem? The front tires hit the grip limit before the rear tyres, causing understeer.

Sounds like a drift car to me. You throw it into a corner and just slide right on through.

the problem is before the understeer happensā€¦

@madrias. YEAH, 1946 DORIFUTO SUTYLE

MULTI TRACK DRIFtING!!!

i dont play to win. i play to be part of it

Thatā€™s a good attitude.

Here are some WIP stats while I ponder.

Also omg my miniature track car which is nowhere near as fast in any way shape or form has nearly double the drivability, 20% more sportiness, and I have oodles of money to spare. But it doesnā€™t look like this:

4 Likes

From what Iā€™m seeing, one of your potential entries reminds me of the Shelby Cobra 427 and the 300SL Gullwing at the same time, even though, like most early Ferraris, itā€™s bright red. A top speed of over 186 mph would have been astronomical in 1946; in real life, it would be almost four full decades before any road cars actually achieved that milestone! And for good reason - it really took that long for all of the other aspects of a car (safety, suspension, tires, brakes, materials, etc.) to catch up.

1 Like

I know, right? The worst part isā€¦ I think just about anybody who would even dare attempt drive the thing at 300km/h will die in the biggest fireball in automotive history, guaranteed. That being said, there are land speed record cars and the ones that vaguely resembled going on the road, well, they easily had speeds of 300km/h. But they werenā€™t production cars :joy:

Iā€™ve basically created the 1946 equivalent of a Gryphon Gear carā€¦ insanely advanced, insanely expensive, insanely fast, and therefore pretty much a deathtrap temptation for rich douchebags.

4 Likes

Itā€™s 1946 in Britain. the war has been over for around a year and industry is still ravaged by the after effects of the war, but that hasnā€™t curbed the enthusiasm of the motoring industry. the then very young Jaguar Cars is already building a name for itself, and the big marques of the day, like Standard, Morris, Austin, and Humber, are starting pushing out cars to satisfy the needs of the demobbed masses. and even smaller marks from tā€™north, like Jowett, are seeing their cars sell.

and one marque that wanted to get their slice of the proverbial pie was JHW, an automotive company who had spent the Automotive Interregnum that was WWII building aero engines and 60 cwt trucks for the army, and their first foray into the post war automotive biz was this, the JHW Harrier

from the outside, itā€™s a large saloon without too many bells and whistles. it has 6 seats and was aimed squarely at the middle/upper middle class family man who needed a solid, comfortable family car after coming out of the Army/RAF/Navy ect.

so, as you can see, this car had a respectable outward appearance and enough space to satisfy any family.

underneath, though, it was quite different compared to any other contemporary car, such as the Humber Super Snipe, as it was 4 wheel drive and powered by a V12!

the permanent 4x4 system was derived from the JHW 60cwt (3 ton) army truck, and they chose this system so it would work in all seasons, from the hottest summers, to the snowiest winters.

the 2.9 Liter DAOC V12 was a 1/5th scale, N/A version of their aero engine that saw service in several transport aircraft and was chosen due to the exceptional performance figures (115hp and 150+ lb-ft) and incredible smoothness. the performance figures of 114mph and 0-60 in under 13 seconds were also exceptional for the time.

it was produced until 1950 wen it was discontinued due to poor sales. because it was priced at Ā£2050, which was nearly double the price of the Humber Super Snipe, they only made 600 in itā€™s lifespan. but, nearly all of have survived as the car itself was highly reliable and was very popular amongst the original owners and car enthusiasts alike, ensuring that this post war oddity was set for a very long life

3 Likes

4 Likes

1948 Elland Type C29

After WWII ended in summer 1945, 46 years old Robert ā€œRobā€ Elland decide to quit from Hawker Aircraft where he learn his expertise in general aerodynamic and start a automobile company name Elland Motors to pursue his dream to become racecar producer with his saving. However being a fresh automobile company in British Isle 1940ā€™s is hard, government under great debt, raw resource are expensive especially metal, and petrol supply still not back to normal before the Blitz. However his country condition doesnt stop his dream.

Elland Type C29 was inspired by first version of Hawker Typhoon for its fastback body styling, the interior was padded in several spot like most fighters and seat shape was pretty much inspired by Spitfire MK.IX seat with adjustable buckle belt included. However Elland Type C29 only prototype stage is only wooden 1/12 scale model with ā€˜blueprintā€™ and sketch as spec details, then the engine, an Inline 6 3.0l Tarurus was designed and built from Antonio Engineering Co in 1947 and then become producer for C29 engine. Elland decide to let Jarvis of Wimbledon, a coachbuilder company to produce the car body with Elland personal direction. in Febuary 1948 the very first car was made and followed by 3 cars in next month.

Elland decide to personally race his creation with his brother, James Elland as co-driver at Rallye des Alpes FranƧaises 1948, the first C29 managed to finish with some body damage however Elland racing skill from pre-WW2 doesnā€™t really helped against the experienced runner. however Elland found his car was fulfill his expectation. Using photos from personal documentation from french rally Elland start his car Marketing in November 1948 and managed to sell 2 of 3 car for about $30.200. The Elland Brothers continue to active in several rally series and participating Le Mans series. however in 1952 Elland race career must ended due poor sales because losing to bigger competitor like Jaguar, Mercedes Benz, and Ferrari and high production cost also not helping much considering Elland Motors never have their own factory at first place. In 1954 Elland Motors was merged to Aston Martin and ended the history of Elland. overall Elland first and last car was produced 68 car.

1948 Elland Type C29 probably is one of forgotten classic racecar however the legacy is worth to be remembered

3 Likes

hahahahah yeahā€¦ iā€™m gonna be approaching this so differently