The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

@AirJordan

Luke looked at the car in the fifth parking bay, a small black coupe, the Smooth Astala Vi.

“Interesting. This is the first two-door car I’ve seen so far. Also a menacing shade of black. Thick 4-spoke rims, that’s a little interesting. Certainly unusual. And that’s unmistakably a carbon weave under that black paint on both the car and the wheels. Also a big sunroof. Very sleek, minimalistic, but the minimalism gives it aggression. Also the first car to feature a hood ornament. Air vents in the hood, that’s promising. Yet for as sleek as the car is, the window area is impressive. It’s a mix of old-school muscle car and new-school super car.”

Luke then opened the door, and settled into the seat.

“First two-seater, and the interior’s fairly impressive. Not as high a quality as the Straton had, but still obviously hand made. Same with the HUD, it’s not as packed with features as some of the Astala’s competitors, but it hasn’t skimped on tech. Not quite as many air bags as in the other cars, but… maybe that weight savings will have a benefit on gas mileage. Paddle shifters, made of rather thick titanium for structural integrity. This particular gearbox is a 6 speed double-clutch sequential, so, again, setting itself apart. Electric differential controls with torque control, designed to aid in vehicle handling by sending power to the outside wheels in a corner. I like that a lot. Should cut a fast lap time when I go to test that.”

Luke found the hood release mechanism, giving it a careful pull, then stepped out of the car to look at the engine.

“Nice use of chrome. V8, DOHC, magnesium block, AlSi heads, 4 valves per cylinder, so she’s another member of the VVL team. 3.2 liter displacement, so it’s one of the smaller engines in the bunch, but, we’ve seen that displacement isn’t always everything. Especially as it’s wearing a pair of snails. Throttle per cylinder with performance intakes, so it’ll breathe easy. Direct injection, air-to-air intercooler. 9200 RPM redline, 393 horsepower at 8600 RPM, 310 ft-lb of torque at 3500 RPM. Balanced overall, but currently the lowest horsepower, though also in a car that doesn’t weigh much.”

Luke got out his inspection camera, looking under the car and getting a little bit of a shock.

“Single exhaust, running 3.25 inch diameter, catalytic converter and twin reverse-flow mufflers with bypass valves. And it looks like it’s all heat-treated piping, so I’m not going to blow a hole in this by running the Astala hard.”

He closed the hood and got back into the car, then started the engine.

“Audible, but more from the front than the back. Intake resonance. Distinct flatplane notes, throttle response is, actually rather impressive. Turbochargers spool at about 3,000 RPM. Time to head to the track.”

Luke drove out of the parking garage, then pointed the Astala Vi down the nearest available road and stomped the accelerator to the floor.

“Chirps the tires in first gear, about what I expected. Handles nicely.”

At the track, Luke looked ready to continue the tests, gripping the leather-wrapped steering wheel with his black driving gloves.

“2.8 seconds from 0 to 60. 2:04.95 around the test track. They say it’ll do 209 MPH, and I don’t doubt that at all. No fade on the brakes, no bottoming out the suspension. 60 to 0 in 28.68 meters thanks to some carbon-ceramic race brakes front and rear. Two piston front, single piston rear calipers. Corners exceptionally well.”

Luke brought the Astala Vi back to the garage, then parked it back where he’d gotten it from, heading over to the desk to write his summary of the car.

“Interestingly enough, the Smooth Astala Vi is the first two-door, two-seat car in the lineup, and yet, it’s the first car that really surprised me. There is nothing slow about this car, except for one thing, and that is the rate at which it chugs through fuel. The Astala Vi managed, despite my best efforts to go really fast, to settle in at 38.9 MPG. Consider, for a moment, that your average shit-box hybrid gets about 40 MPG on average. This isn’t a hybrid, they don’t make hybrids with turbocharged flat-plane V8’s, built entirely out of carbon fiber, even to the damn wheels, and hybrids don’t go 200 miles an hour or reach 60 in less than three seconds. And yet the Astala Vi has given a smack-down to the hybrid car market. The hybrids have been terminated. So, what was most impressive about the Astala Vi, other than the gas mileage? It’s only $150,000. Okay, so it’s not the most drivable car so far, not the most comfortable so far, nor the most prestigious or the safest, but it is the sportiest and it is the most fuel efficient up to this point. And the other stats, other than safety, didn’t drop too much to give that. Given the retro-styling, I’m sure that plays a small part of that, and it’s not the end of the world to have a car with lower safety. I don’t intend on crashing the car, it’s just nice to know that you’ll survive, and the number of air bags and the safety belts guarantee that. Minor annoyances are just that with this car, minor. Okay, so there’s not a huge amount of space to put any luggage in this car. That said, there’s an entire foot-well not being used most of the time. Is the Astala Vi my car? I don’t know yet, but what I do know is, I’ll be back.”

@HighOctaneLove

Luke looked at the next car in line, the Bogliq Ambassador.

“Typical Bogliq Blue, interesting headlight arrangement, good size. It’s big, yet not as menacing as the other big cars have been. Though I have to ask Bogliq a question: Do they not use turn signals in Moldova? Also, surprising to see another car with carbon fiber wheels.”

He opened the door and settled into the driver’s seat, looking around the interior of the car. “Heads up display, five seats, hand-stitched leather, launch control, fairly standard for this lineup. Though it is hiding a mild surprise, being the first Automatic car I’ll be testing. This is going to be a bit interesting, most automatics aren’t sporty, but I have a bit of a good feeling about this one. Good number of speakers and air bags, as well as a nice extended center console to provide cupholders and storage for the rear seat passengers.”

He pulled the hood release, then got out and headed to the front of the car, looking into the engine compartment at the black-and-orange V12.

“Looks like Halloween happened in here. Black and Orange and red. Then again, not the worst color combination I could imagine. V12, all AlSi, DOHC 4-valve, so another member of the VVL crew, 6.6 liter displacement, twin snail, and a rather large water-to-air intercooler. Should have a bit of go to it, then. Redline at 7900, 893 horsepower at 7400, and 765 ft-lb of torque at 3800 RPM. Standard air filter housings to cut down the noise, direct injection, throttle per cylinder.”

Luke grabbed the inspection camera and took a look underneath. “Dual exhaust, 6.75” diameter, catalytic converter, and dual reverse flow mufflers. No bypass valves this time. Should make it quieter than the rest have been.”

He closed the hood and settled back into the car, starting it up. “As expected, very quiet. I’m sure I’ll hear some of it as I test the car out, but it won’t open up and roar like the others have.”

He pulled the gear selector down into Drive, then pulled out of the parking garage, heading to the test track. “Plenty of wheelspin if you lay into it, but rather controlled. Compared to the other cars, it’s more relaxing to drive, though the big turbochargers are somewhat ruining that. 4.1 seconds to 60 from a stand-still.”

At the track, Luke managed to run a 2:09.66, and in the process managed to shock him a little bit. “While it’s not the fastest thing I’ve had around here today, given that I had no control over the gears, that’s pretty damn good. 30.67 meters to stop from 60, though I think there’s just the slightest suggestion of brake fade. Not enough to affect the car too much, but I could see that causing some issues if I took it to a track and really thrashed on it for half a day. Also, another car with active suspension that isn’t trying to knock components out of alignment.”

He headed back to the garage to write his review, parking the Ambassador next to the Astala Vi.

“Well, the Bogliq Ambassador is a car of surprises. It brings a powerful engine together with the proven RWD layout, with a 7 speed automatic gearbox into a high-end luxury car. At 20.7 MPG, the Ambassador’s gas mileage is far from the worst so far, and boasting nearly 900 horsepower through an automatic, that’s quite an impressive feat. Also, the Ambassador turned a surprising number of heads as I drove around the city, and not just because of the blaring Bogliq Blue paint. The suspension is a double-wishbone front with MultiLink rear combination, resting on active suspension components for a comfortable ride. Another little surprise is the carbon fiber wheels, yet using glued aluminum for the unibody and aluminum for the panels. Yet, I don’t feel the Ambassador is too much worse off for that trade-off. At $152,400, it’s another mild bargain, something definitely to be considered, though at the same time, it makes me wonder if some of the small quirks could have been ironed out with a bit more money spent. However, everything about the Ambassador says that it’s designed to be reliable, a car that will be with me for decades, and for that reason alone, I’ll have to add it into the list of cars to revisit.”

@Darkshine5

Luke’s next car on the list was the DSD Saratoga, one which had been catching his attention since he’d started looking at the cars.

“Two doors, aggressive styling, some unusual design themes. Still, not a bad looking car. Can’t tell from the outside whether it’s front or mid engined, not that I’m worried about such things under most circumstances. Looks like DSD understands that visibility is important, so they’ve added extra glass to help with rear visibility. Then promptly blocked 30 percent of that added visibility with a big spoiler. Tail-lights are mounted surprisingly low, but then again, it seems to be part of the design theme, that things are a little unusual and out of place.”

Luke opened the door and settled into the seat, looking around the interior. “Seats are similar quality to the Ambassador, but there’s two of them instead of five. Heads-up display, fairly standard so far, though I understand why. Top of the line equipment. Seven-speed double-clutch sequential, with rather thick black-anodized aluminum shift paddles, launch control switch on the dash, electric differential controls, there’s a lot of potential here. Well, I’ll be able to tell whether it’s front or mid engined soon enough.”

Luke pulled the hood release and was promptly greeted by the engine being in what he considered the proper end of the car, up front where it belonged.

“V8, all AlSi construction, 5.5 liters, DOHC, 5 valves per cylinder. Beautiful bundle of snakes. Direct injection, Throttle per cylinder, performance intakes. 9,000 RPM redline, 700 horsepower at 8300 RPM, 489 ft-lb of torque at 6600 RPM. No doubt that this thing’s a race-car designed for the street.”

He grabbed his inspection camera and looked underneath the car.

“Out of the bundle of snakes, combined into a single exhaust pipe, 4.5 inch diameter, has a catalytic converter, but that’s it. This thing’s going to be loud.”

He settled into the driver’s seat, then started the engine. “I’m glad that I’m broadcasting thoughts in text mode, because you’d never hear me over this crossplane V8’s rumble. It’s echoing around the parking garage, and it’s set off every car alarm at idle! Granted, the throttle response is insane.”

Luke felt worried about taking the DSD Saratoga onto the streets, with the straight-pipe exhaust offering no muffling at all, but decided it’d be best just to get it to the track and back. This time, he decided against flooring it on city streets, the thunder of the exhaust making him ever more aware of just how many police cars there were on the streets right at that moment.

“Well, it’ll do 0-60 in 4 seconds, and it’ll lap the testing track in 2:00.30, so it’s fast. It’s also insanely loud and incredibly thirsty. 60 to 0 in 25.9 meters, so it’ll have no problem stopping for every cop wanting to give you a ticket for your exhaust being too loud.”

He brought it back to the parking garage, parked it, then headed over to his desk, both to write his summary of the car and to grab all the remotes to shut off the car alarms that all went off again. He found a post-it note on the desk as well.
“Hey, Luke, next time you fire up a race car, please turn the car alarms off before you leave.”

Luke wrote his summary after getting all the alarms silenced.

“The DSD Saratoga is, admittedly, fun to drive. It is first and foremost, a track car. Sure, you can drive it on the street, but you really don’t want to. It’s so insanely loud that it’ll set off car alarms, you get flipped the bird by pedestrians and motorcyclists with straight pipes on a regular basis, and the resonating thunder of the crossplane V8 just acts as a beacon to every police officer in a 30 mile radius. At $113,000, it’s not as expensive, initially, as some of the Saratoga’s competition, but, with fuel efficiency ratings of 12 MPG if you’re following a semi downhill with a tail-wind, and an exhaust louder than fighter jets on takeoff, I’d soon end up spending far more than the competition’s higher prices to drive the Saratoga on a daily basis. Sure, it’s damned fast, and I’d expect that from the crazy Australians, but I wouldn’t be able to live with it. Sorry, DSD, but as comfortable as the interior is, and as good as the sound deadening materials were, that’s just a little too loud. It’s a great track car, and I got a lot of thumbs up at the track, and people telling me it sounded awesome, but only at the track. Driving around on city streets, people covered their ears, they glared at the car, they flipped the bird, and yelled obscenities I wasn’t able to hear.”

6 Likes

@abg7

Luke took a day to let the heat blow over from driving the Saratoga, not wanting every cop in the city to start cracking down on expensive cars. Especially not outside of Storm Automotive HQ. After making a few phone calls, he felt it was a good time to go check out the next car in line, the DMA Engineering XP55-4.

“Interesting shade of blue. That makes three cars I’ve seen in light blue. Honestly surprised no one’s tried red at this point. Or green. Seems sporty enough, though. Low slung, two doors, good proportions. No mistaking this for a mid-engine car. Front end reminds me of a Mercedes, although one that someone dropped an anvil on. Side’s plain, as is the rear. The back end looks like the design was borrowed from some German hot-hatch and attached as an afterthought.”

He opened the door and settled into the driver’s seat, looking at what he’d been given to work with.

“Machine stitched interior, but lots of leather. Heads-up-display, launch control, titanium shift paddles, electric differential controls, plenty of speakers and air-bags. Pretty standard for what’s been checked before. Not quite as prestigious as the hand-made interiors, but still good quality. Let’s see what it’s offering as an engine package.”

Luke pulled the hood release and got out of the XP55-4, walking to the front of the car.

“V12, AlSi construction all around, 5.5 liters, DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder, so yet another member of the VVL club, wearing twin snails with a large-sized water-to-air intercooler. Direct fuel injection, throttle per cylinder, and performance air intakes, so it’s designed to be sporty. 8,000 RPM redline, 742 horsepower at 7200 RPM, 631 ft-lb of torque at 4700 RPM.”

He looked under the car with his inspection camera.

“Pretty standard stuff down here. Dual pipes, 4.25 inches in diameter, catalytic converter, and twin reverse flow mufflers with bypass valves.”

Luke closed the hood, got back in the car, and started the engine.
“About what I expected. Quiet at idle, and it’ll be loud at speed. Let’s get this one to the track and try it out.”

He stomped on the gas as soon as the car hit pavement, getting all four tires to break loose in first gear. “More than enough power to get in trouble with. It’ll do 0 to 60 in 2.8 seconds, so I’m not overly surprised.”

Luke took it around the test track, giving it everything he could to set a fast lap time.
“2:03.87. It’s definitely fast. Stops from 60 in 28 meters, with no brake fade.”

He brought the XP55-4 back to the garage and parked it, before getting out and writing his summary.

“The DMA Engineering XP55-4 is… Okay. At $61700, it’s a bargain, but at the same time, I feel that if a bit more money had been put in key places, the car would have been great. The decision to use glued aluminum with aluminum panels is an odd one when carbon fiber is well within the budget. To use machine-stitched leather when you could have afforded to have people do that instead. 22 MPG isn’t terrible, but again, it’s beaten by many other cars. While the XP55-4 is an exceptional hypercar, it drops the ball just a little in a few other categories. That’s not to say that it’s a bad car, far from that. Other cars have offered more within my budget, and being inexpensive can only get you so far, unless your low price tag has a certain amount of crazy behind it. Sure, it’s good, but at the same time, it’s a little uninspiring. Maybe I was spoiled by the last handful of cars, each one providing a new surprise, and yet the XP55-4 just was more of the same that I’d been seeing. Exceptionally high horsepower, sure, but also an engine that, despite the tuning, gulps down fuel a bit quicker than the competition. It’s a good car, just not the car for me.”

@oppositelock

Luke took a day after the XP55-4, mostly because it was already getting close to nightfall, and he wanted to avoid the usual problems of night time and driving high horsepower cars.

By morning, he looked at the GSI Warlock, the first red car he’d come across. Luke seemed a little puzzled at first, then brought out a bright lamp, one typically used for photo shoots, shining it on the car. Still seeming puzzled, he grabbed a micro-fiber cloth and rubbed at a spot on the hood.

“Not dirty after all. Just matte paint. I suppose I can see the advantages, thinking about it a little. I wouldn’t have to wash it as often and it’d still look good. And, I suppose it’d hide scratches easier. Still a little odd. Granted, I’ll give Grey-Skies Industries some credit for making the bold move to offer me a car that isn’t just another shade of blue. I wonder if that’s enamel paint, which would explain the dull finish, but would make scratching it nearly impossible. Front end of the car’s a little plain, but again, everything here exists with purpose, nothing wasted. High-intensity headlights with turn signals, large lower grille, small upper grille, fairly standard layout. Aerodynamic lip at the bottom for, possibly a hint of downforce, if it’s functional. Side’s also very plain, but carries nothing that isn’t required, just the door handles. The rear is also similarly spartan, but… while I don’t mind having combined brake and turn signals out back, I do prefer having a reverse light. There is such a thing as providing too little to a car. But, maybe the Warlock has some wizardry to get away with that.”

Luke opened the door and got in, looking around.

“Four seats, good quality leather, hand stitched. Heads-Up Display with a lot of good features, sound system has a lot of speakers, launch control switch in easy reach. Plenty of air bags. Center console goes clean down the center of the car, between the heated and air conditioned bucket front seats and the heated rear bucket seats. Good attention to detail, and there’s these little pods in the back window, next to the high-mounted center brake light… Ah, they put the reverse lamps high-mounted so people see them easier. Clever. High-quality paddle shifters and an electric differential, so it’s trying to maintain the sporty image.”

He reached for the hood release lever and unlatched the hood, then got out to take a look at the engine in the Warlock.

“Let’s see what magic the Warlock wields. Looks like a twin-turbocharged 6-liter V12, all black anodized coverings, magnesium block, AlSi heads, DOHC with 4 valves per cylinder, which means VVL. Large water-to-air intercooler, direct fuel injection, individual throttle bodies, and some really nicely done air-filter housings. Redline at 9,000 RPM, peak power is 805 HP at 8,300 RPM, peak torque is 576 ft-lb at 5200 RPM. Not a bad setup, it’s well balanced. Beautiful torque curve.”

Luke grabbed the inspection camera and looked underneath the car.

“Dual exhausts, 3.5 inch piping, catalytic converter, and dual reverse flow mufflers. No bypass valves, so this is going to be quiet at all times.”

He closed the hood and got back in the car, starting the engine. For a moment, Luke seemed puzzled, then opened the driver’s door, followed by popping the hood again. “It is running. That is insanely quiet. Thought for a moment that it’d stalled, but no, it’s running. And it’s incredibly smooth running.” Luke grabbed a quarter and balanced it on the anodized aluminum cover for the throttle bodies, then took a picture and put it up on social media with the caption, “What magic is this? 800 horsepower, balancing a quarter. Meet the GSI Warlock.” He then picked the quarter up, put it away, closed the hood and got back in the car. With the driver’s door closed, he gave the nearly-silent engine a hint of gas. “You can hear it, but barely, with a bit of throttle. That is mighty impressive. I could have driven the Warlock at night, no one would have ever heard it.”

He drove out of the parking garage and started his drive to the track. What he noticed more than anything was just how many people were grabbing phones and taking pictures of the Warlock, or people who’d punch their friend in the arm, then point at it. “Seems to be drawing a crowd. Not sure whether I’ve driven this route too many times and people are looking at the latest high-powered luxury sedan, or whether this is… just that damn impressive. Could be either. Let’s experiment.”

He changed course, heading to the test track through roads he’d yet to drive through, and yet the Warlock still stirred up a crowd. “Guess it really draws attention.”

Once at the track, Luke started his tests.

“Zero to Sixty in a blistering 2.6 seconds. I think this may be the fastest car yet. That’s good for those stoplight drag races. And 60 to 0 in 27.5 meters, so more than enough stopping power to haul the Warlock down. Around the track in 2:02.03, so it’s also sporty. It’s scary just how well the Warlock throws its own weight around, and yet remains comfortable, and quiet, while doing so. The active suspension is tuned, first and foremost, for comfort, and yet it manages to handle nearly 2,100 kilograms of car being thrown around.”

Luke drove back to the parking garage, parked the Warlock, and headed to his desk to write his summary of the car.

“The GSI Warlock surprised me several times over. From the matte-finish red, which I did find out is enamel paint, to the dead-silent engine, to the impressive track time, the brutal acceleration, and the decent gas mileage for what it has, I kept having to ask myself, “Is this magic?” Sure, the Warlock looks plain and unassuming from the outside, other than the large size. On the inside, it’s luxurious. I asked one of my employees to ride in the back at one point, and asked him his opinion on it, and, if you’ll forgive the exact quote, “It’s like a Ferrari fucked a Rolls-Royce, and this is the grown up child.” A twin-turbo V12 mated to a 7 speed double-clutch sequential gearbox, coupled to all four wheels with a 35/65 rear-biased split, hiding underneath an interior that screams class. At $191,100, this is an incredible car. There’s no disappointment in driving the Warlock. It’s not so loud that it offends everyone. It looks like the average large sedan, and yet, on the inside, it’s two completely different cars. It’s a hypercar with 800 horsepower and an awful lot of get-up-and-go. And it’s a luxury car that’s both luxurious to drive and luxurious to be driven in. I’ll be revisiting the Warlock later.”

@BobLoblaw

Luke looked at the next car in line and ended up equally surprised. “Dark silver instead of white, black, or blue? Interesting.” He walked toward the Ventnor Sovereign, already seeming more impressed with it.

“Very impressive. Okay, while the XP55-4 looked like a Mercedes that got an anvil dropped on its face, this looks like a proper Mercedes. And there’s nothing wrong with that. The design theme works. LED turn-signals, large upper grille with a small lower grille, and that makes two cars with hood ornaments now. I like it. Keeping it clean, simple, effective. Side of the car’s a touch plain, but there’s nothing wrong with that. Interesting rims, the large center and the small spokes. I feel that fits the car well. LED side marker near the back. And the rear of the car is similarly plain, yet looks good. Large rear tail-lights, so no excuses for anyone to hit the car, because if you can’t see those brake lights, you’re blind. Has a small wing, as well as some big chrome dual-tip exhausts. Not a bad design.”

Luke opened the driver’s door, slowly settling into the driver’s seat. “Four seats, hand-stitched leather, real nice quality. A nice, subtle dark gray. HUD has all the driving information available, and an auto-color mode to pick something that contrasts better against the distance. Also plenty of speakers, and a good-size screen to control everything. Also looks like there’s plenty of air bags for safety. Launch Control is within easy reach again, and the paddle-shifters are again high-quality materials. Electric differential controls are, okay, they’re in the touch screen, and there’s a decent number of options.”

He pulled the hood release, then opened the hood, looking at the big engine underneath.

“Nice shade of blue anodizing for the valve covers and manifold cover. V8, all AlSi construction, twin-turbochargers, 32 valve, which means 4 valves per cylinder, so another in the VVL club. 6.6 liters of displacement, massive water-to-air intercooler, direct injection, two throttle-bodies, and performance intakes. 7500 RPM redline, 975 horsepower at 7100 RPM, and 887 ft-lb of torque at 4500 RPM. And what appears to be a lot of turbo lag.”

He grabbed the inspection camera and looked underneath.

“Fairly standard. Dual pipes, 4.25 inch diameter, has catalytics, and dual reverse-flow mufflers. With, of course, bypass valves.”

He closed the hood and started the engine. “Typical crossplane rumble, though nice to hear that it’s quiet instead of setting off every car alarm in the building. Stays quiet until you step on it, then it gets a bit loud.”

He drove to the test track, although noticed the Sovereign drawing a lot of attention on the way. “Seems like it’s also an attention-getter.”

At the track, Luke put the Ventnor Sovereign through his variety of tests.

“0-60 in 2.6 seconds. 60 to 0 in 35.5 meters. 2:08.41 around the test track.”

He brought the Sovereign back to the garage and parked it, then headed to write his summary.

“The Ventnor Sovereign is like a wax apple. It’s pretty to look at, but you don’t want to eat it. Sure, what the Sovereign does is incredible in the way of comfort, but it’s almost as if Ventnor forgot that horsepower isn’t everything here. Stepping on the accelerator should not require calling the engine a week in advance to file a motion to increase RPM in order to use that 975 horsepower. I suppose, in a way, the Sovereign isn’t all that bad. The engine is responsive, you can get quite a bit out of it. But 19.5 miles per gallon is a bit low considering that the slightly-less expensive Warlock managed to do more with less for less while using less. At $192,700, I expected a better car. Yet, the Warlock is easier to drive, faster around a track, just as fast off the line, more comfortable to be in, and yet, it’s $1600 less expensive, and manages to go five miles further for every one-gallon swig of gasoline it takes. The Sovereign is more prestigious, probably from the larger footprint, and a little safer, again likely from the same cause. I think the Sovereign would be a great car, if I wanted to drive around at the speed of diplomacy.”

8 Likes

@rcracer11m

After setting the stylus back down on the table next to the tablet, Luke headed toward the next car in line, the Mott Works Aqueos.

“Another car that’s broken the trend of a sea of blue. Interesting two-door fastback coupe, aggressive design, ventilated hood. Nice flowing chrome on the sides, tying together the vents on the sides. Even more ventilation out back, along with a rear splitter and a big-bore exhaust kit. This looks like it’s going to be fun.”

He went to open the door, found a distinct lack of door-handle, then grabbed the keys. He hit the button and the driver’s door popped open. “That could get annoying, though I understand it. Sleek lines and aerodynamics, after all. And it’s not like the electronics are going to fail on a car this expensive.”

Luke settled into the driver’s seat, taking a quick look around.
“Two seats. At this point, it’s going to take an awful lot to win me over with two seats. That Warlock was wicked. Still, good quality seats, and it looks like I was right on the electronics. The HUD is really high quality, there’s plenty of speakers, the cup-holders retract out of the way when I don’t want them present, and there’s a 7-speed sequential in here. Surprised they went with the stick on the console, though, instead of paddles. Still, not a bad move, I’m comfortable with a stick-shift, so reaching for a sequential stick isn’t going to bother me. Safety equipment seems about on par with what I expect in a car like this.”

He pulled the hood release, then got out of the Aqueos.

“Four liter V12, DOHC, 4-valves per cylinder with VVL. Magnesium block and AlSi heads, so it’s as light as they could manage to make the block. No turbochargers, just a nice set of headers. Performance intakes feeding the twin throttle-bodies. Direct fuel injection, 506 horsepower at 9500 RPM, 306 ft-lb of torque at 7100 RPM, though that’s nearly irrelevant because the torque curve is almost flat, and a redline at 10200 RPM. Okay, anyone who makes an engine spin at 10.2k is both someone to admire, and a little crazy.”

Luke grabbed the inspection camera and looked under the car.
“Dual exhaust, 2.25 inch diameter piping, catalytic, and twin reverse-flow mufflers with bypass valves. Again not a huge surprise, it’s a layout many cars have been doing.”

He closed the hood, settled back into the car, and started the engine.
“It’s quiet, but it’s expected at this point. She’ll scream at full power, but that’s expected with bypass valves.”

Luke grabbed the stick and settled the car into first gear, taking note of the large amount of information scattered across his windshield. “It’s like driving a science-fiction movie.” he said, before heading out onto the road. He gave the throttle a hard step and noticed most of the wheel spin happened from the front wheels, and that because the front wheels were slipping, he was having to fight the slightest hint of torque steer. “She’s putting more power to the front wheels on launch, when weight transfer throws all that weight on the rear wheels. The Aqueos is biased wrong. Makes me think their engineers put the transfer unit in backwards.”

He arrived at the track, noticing plenty of people looking at the Aqueos. “It’s an attention getter, that’s for sure. Also have to mention that other than the unusual front-wheel traction loss, the Aqueos rides well.”

Luke then headed onto the track to test the handling and acceleration of the Aqueos, lining up for the 0-60 test, followed by taking it around the track.
“Zero-to-sixty in 3.4 seconds, and stopped in 29.2 meters flat. And it’ll hustle around the track in 2:08.49.”

He drove back to the parking garage, parked the Aqueos, then headed to the desk to write his summary.

“The Mott Works Aqueos is a good car. It’s comfortable, it’s prestigious, it’s drivable and sporty, and fuel efficient. It also costs $148,300. That’s less expensive than a lot of the competition, but, some of that competition does some of those things better in pieces. The thing that stands out for me is how much was left on the table to bring that cost to me. I have two seats, and while that’s certainly more than enough for me, there was room for four seats in the budget. The transmission could have been made a double-clutch sequential instead of single-clutch. Someone forgot that weight transfer under acceleration goes to the rear wheels, which sacrificed acceleration. I liked the Aqueos, but it’s competing against a few cars that do just as good at sporty or just as good at looking great, and there’s some that are faster where it counts, some that corner better. Sure, the budget buy is a great marketing trick. If you can offer more car for less money, it sells well. But when I’m willing to throw $200,000 down on a car, and I’m not worried about further expenses down the line, being $50,000 short of the budget is… not the wisest decision. What I will give the Aqueos credit for is the balance of the car overall. Some cars are sportier than it, other cars are faster than it, some turn more heads than it can, some cars are more comfortable, some cars are safer, and some cars hold more people, but the Aqueos has balanced all of that into one car that’s capable of competing with all them. Is it my car? I don’t know yet, but what I do know is I’ll have to revisit the car later.”

@thecarlover

Luke walked to the next car in line, the Diamond Quartz Storm.

“Aggressive front end, rather stylish, actually. I like the use of our Twilight Blue High Gloss, that’s a nice touch. Also appreciating the huge panoramic glass roof and the low-profile wing on the back. Sporty lines all around. Rear diffuser, center-mounted exhausts, combination LED tail-lights. It all balances out nicely. It’s a two door car, similar in design to the S.H.L, though that was a four-door car.”

He walked to the driver’s door, then reached for the door handle, which extended from the side of the car before his hand got there. “Nice use of sensors for a power-retracting door handle. Much nicer than a push-button remote, means I don’t have to carry the key-fob around with me everywhere, just the key.” He pulled the door handle, hearing the servo-driven click of the mechanism, sounding more like he’d just unlocked a bank vault than a car door.

Settling into the driver’s seat, he took note of the interior.

“Four seats, luxury HUD, pretty standard for what I’ve been dealing with. Surprised that this is the first two-door car to give me four passenger capacity. Diamond must have been thinking ahead of the curve here. I asked for sporty, yes, but it had to do everything. And that includes taking my design team leads for a track-day meet-up. How are you supposed to fit Engine, Chassis, and Interior teams into a two-seat car, with me driving? You can’t. I’m willing to forget that if the car’s good enough, but some cars have set a high bar to pass on that regard. But here, I could do that. Looks like there’s plenty of air-bags and safety equipment to prevent injury should an accident ever happen. Also another car with the seven-speed sequential, titanium paddle shifters with extra reinforcement, and electric differential controls.”

Luke pulled the hood release, then got out of the car, moving to look at the engine.

“Five liter V12, all AlSi construction, DOHC, four valves per cylinder with VVL, direct fuel injection with individual throttle bodies, performance intakes, and a nice set of hand-crafted racing-grade headers. Redline’s set at 9600 RPM, it’ll put out 681 horsepower at 9400 RPM, and makes 420 foot-pounds of torque at 7900 RPM. Torque curve’s nearly flat, though the valve-lift produces a significant rise at 4000 RPM.”

He grabbed his inspection camera and looked under the car.

“Dual exhausts, 3-inch diameter piping, catalytic, reverse-flow muffler feeding into a baffled muffler. Which leaves me baffled as to why they’d do that. No bypass valves this time, so the bit of noise it will make is going to be all I’ll have to expect.”

Luke closed the hood, walked back to the car and got back in, then started the engine.
“It’s quiet, there’s no doubts there. I’ve had quieter, but this is still good, given that most of the noise is coming from those performance intakes.”

He then headed to the test track, though as the Diamond Quartz was rear-wheel drive, it wasn’t without more than a fair bit of fooling around with the brutally-accessible power.
“Responsive throttle, more than enough grunt to break the wheels loose and spin them. Which it will quite happily do through first and second if you turn traction control off, mind you. 3.9 seconds up to 60, and if anyone asks how I know that, I’ll stick to my story that I did it on the track, and not under the elevated train tracks, so those stripes there are not, in fact, mine. As for the time around the track, we’re looking at 2:05.49 to complete a lap, which is pretty good. And stopping from 60 miles per hour takes 28.4 meters, though there’s just the slightest hint of brake fade. Given the race-grade brake discs, I’m not too worried on that, as I’m sure by the time they’re well and truly faded, even with this car’s damned impressive 31.1 MPG, the gas tank will surely be on fumes if I run it that long and that hard.”

Luke brought it back to the garage and parked the car, shutting the engine down and heading over to his table to write another summary.

“The Diamond Quartz Storm is an impressive car. At $173,400, it’s less expensive than some of the competition. Yet, unlike the Aqueos, it provides two things that make the low cost and yet low stats forgivable. The left and the right rear seat. After all, it’s throwing down a faster track time, better mileage, can carry two more people, and while it costs more than the Aqueos, it’s still cheaper than cars like the Warlock and the Sovereign, which do better, yes, at most of the things that make good cars in this competition, but… The Diamond Quartz played the ‘Budget’ card well. That $20,000 will buy an awful lot of 255mm wide rear tires mounted on those 22 inch rims, which is an expensive habit to have, but smoking has always been an expensive habit. And I think part of that is why I like the Quartz so much. It’s not quite a ‘pure’ driving experience, there’s too many safety features for that, but it’s not so locked down that you can’t enjoy it. It’s nearly 700 horsepower, and rear wheel drive. You can floor it, and the traction control locks things down and keeps you from spinning the wheels, but if you do what any hooligan wants to do, you can flip the traction control to off and proceed to smoke a couple tires. The electric differential comes pre-programmed with several different modes, and one of them is “Drift,” which this car will do rather well. It’s nice to drive, and yet it’s not sitting there with an engine drooling at the thought of eating another $100 worth of fuel, with a 31 MPG fuel-saving V12. I’ll definitely have to come back to this car.”

@DracoAutomations

Luke looked at the next car in line, though to mistake the DAC-666 for a car would take an incredible lack of vision.

“Interesting. That’s the first SUV I’ve seen so far. Definitely a commanding presence, and I’m actually rather fond of the LED headlights. Lower vents are good, and so is the grille. Good use of chrome up front to break up the wall of vehicle. Side carries a little of the front chrome from the lower vents, a bit of window trim, but is otherwise rather plain. Still, I’ve seen plain-looking cars do plenty of crazy things. However, I don’t like the back end. It’s very… uninspiring. I get the simplistic design, the carry-over from the front, but first appearances are everything. It’s in total contrast to the front end, which looked good, despite being a bit busy, or in contrast to the simple and plain sides, which were functional. This looks like something I’d expect on a concept car, designed to look outlandish and draw attention. But, enough about the exterior.”

Luke opened the driver’s door, and for the first time that day, stepped up into the driver’s seat.

“Good quality hand-stitched leather seating for seven, luxury heads-up-display with plenty of options, not a ton of air bags, though I think the roof pillars were made extra strong, given these crash test safety ratings. Not sure I could use all 7 seats, but, it does make for a practical vehicle. And it’s an automatic, so it makes driving easy, though it might hurt the sportiness a little. There’s the active suspension controls, and there’s the controls for the electric differential. So far, pretty standard with the rest of them, but with the advantage of ground clearance and road presence.”

He pulled the hood release, then got out of the DAC-666, opening the hood and looking at the engine.

“6 liters, V12, magnesium block, AlSi heads, DOHC with four-valves per cylinder, which means it’ll have VVL as well, and I can already see the turbochargers feeding that massive intercooler. Direct fuel injection, individual throttle bodies, standard intakes, and military-green valve covers, with a redline at 6000 RPM, peak power of 677 horsepower at redline, and 607 ft-lb of torque at 5200 RPM. Some expected turbo lag, though more smoothed out than I’ve seen, so I’d expect the surge to be manageable.”

Luke closed the hood and grabbed his inspection camera to have a look under the DAC-666.
“Dual exhausts, 3.25 inch diameter piping, catalytic converter, dual reverse flow mufflers, and bypass valves. Fairly standard so far. Let’s get it started and on the road.”

He got back into the DAC-666 and started the engine.
“Admittedly, it’s nice and quiet at idle. I know the bypass valves will make it louder at speed, but I’m glad to see that at normal cruising speeds, the DAC-666 is nice and quiet.”

Luke drove to the track, taking note of just how many people stopped and looked at the huge purple SUV. “I’ll admit, it’s turning heads. Not my favorite color in the world, but, worse could have been done. And it’s the first purple vehicle I’ve test driven. Plus, it’s soaking up these small bumps and minor potholes without much difficulty.”

At the track, he put it through the usual lineup of tests.
“It’ll do 0 to 60 in 4.7 seconds, which, admittedly, is fairly good for weighing 2400 kilograms and feeding a V12 to all four wheels through a nine-speed automatic. It’ll stop from 60 in 33.3 meters, which is also fairly impressive for such a large SUV. It’ll do a lap in 2:25.55, which is respectable as well. Okay, so it’s the slowest thing around the track so far, but it’s a big SUV with an automatic. That 2:25 is impressive given the aerodynamics.”

He drove back to the parking garage and shut it down, getting out to write his summary.

“The DAC-666 is definitely unique. While I’ll admit that I don’t like the back of the SUV, the front looked good to me. Sure, it’s not fast, but it’s trying to be. It has everything it needed to be fast, just held back by the fact that it is still an SUV. I don’t think I could find a use for seven seats, but I know I could use 4 or 5. The third row folds down, which means there’s enough room for some cargo. Being an automatic makes driving effortless, and with 9 speeds, there’s literally a gear for every speed. Sadly, without an overdrive gear, the DAC-666 suffers a bit of poor gas mileage, at 19.2 MPG. Again, though, that’s not exactly awful when one considers the aerodynamics of an SUV against a sporty sedan or coupe. Sure, the Ventnor Sovereign gets better gas mileage by a small amount, but it seats fewer people and isn’t using an automatic transmission. Which is why I’m considering the DAC-666 to be so impressive. It used $196,300 of the $200,000 budget to create a superior Luxury SUV. It’s not great around a track, and it takes a while to get to 60 because it has to go through so many gears, but it’s still a good SUV. While it’s not one I’d go for, personally, if you like the styling and you need to move 7 people around quickly, get one.”

@JohnWaldock

Luke walked to the next car in line, looking at the large, aggressively-styled two-door coupe, the JHW Sol Invictus.

“Unconquered Sun. Bold claim, JHW, bold claim. Especially from a car with no sunroof or convertible top to enjoy the sun. Still, the front end looks good, and the venting in the hood is subtle. Side’s a little plain other than the large wheel arches. Rear end is similarly plain, like the front was, but not bad, either. The shotgun exhausts are a nice touch.”

He opened the door and settled into the driver’s seat, looking around the interior.

“Four seats, but they’re machine-stitched leather. That tells me the money went elsewhere in this car. HUD is about standard from what I’ve seen, good electronics behind it, plenty of settings. Plenty of air-bags for safety. Active suspension, so there’s a chunk of it. Electric diff and Sequential transmission. While some of these things look like a lot of attention was paid to them, it’s not adding up. Let’s check the engine.”

Luke pulled the hood release and got out, opening the hood and looking at the engine.

“There’s where some of the money disappeared to. 7 liter V12, magnesium block, DOHC, AlSi heads, 5 valves per cylinder, twin-turbocharged with a big pair of snails, massive water-to-air intercooler, direct fuel injection with individual throttle bodies, performance intakes, and a ton of attitude. 7500 RPM redline, making 1021 horsepower at redline, and 848 ft-lb of torque at 4500 RPM. This thing’s scary in the horsepower department, breaking into the four-digit barrier several cars got close to. We’ll have to see if this decision was worth it.”

He grabbed the inspection camera and looked under the car.
“Dual exhausts, 4.5 inch exhaust, catalytic, and dual reverse-flow mufflers. No valves this time, so it’s as loud as it’ll get.”

He closed the hood and settled back into the Sol Invictus, then started the engine.
“Quiet. A little louder than some cars, but that’s the performance intakes.”

Luke then drove to the testing track and put the car through his list of basic tests.

“2.5 seconds to 60, and 27.36 meters to haul it back down. What I will note is that the suspension keeps banging into the bump stops, which isn’t helping comfort, or handling. However, it is possible to wrestle the Sol Invictus around the track in 2:00.97, so it is drivable and it is fast.”

He drove back to the parking garage and shut down the car, getting out and walking to his desk.

“Unconquered Sun. It was a bold claim by JHW when they named their car Sol Invictus, and yet, the only thing that’s beaten it around the track is a race car. The good points about it, well, it’s bloody fuckin’ fast, and it only costs $143,900, and it’ll run on Regular. Unfortunately, that means it’s not optimized for Premium, leading to the dismal 15.9 MPG. Power isn’t everything. Between slamming into the bump-stops every time I hit a bump and the thirsty engine under the hood, I’d have to mark it out right there. Cheap and fast is good, but only if there’s more to it than those two qualities. In a similar price range, I can get cars that, while they lap the track slower, are more comfortable, offer a better interior, and don’t try to shake my circuits apart. Maybe if there were a few more tricks to the car, I’d consider it, but I asked for a car that does everything, and that includes passing the occasional gas station.”

5 Likes

@koolkei

Luke looked toward the next car in the line, the Flox GT.

“Interesting. Somewhat a super-retro-muscle car, designed to pay homage to some older car long since left in the past, yet with new features. I like the unusual front ventilation, with the multiple lower vents and the large upper vent. Shaker hood-scoop is a nice touch, as are the ‘spider eyes’ headlights. Side keeps it classy, with a turn-signal design that’s going to draw attention, a mixed plastic and chrome lower door stripe, and a flush-mount power retracting door handle. A nice overall flow on the side, nothing overly aggressive or out of place. A sunroof finishes up the roof-line without being obnoxious, and the rear is similar to the front in the ventilated styling. A very complete car, not too bold looking, but not boring or bland, either.”

He touched the door handle and the door popped open, so he settled into the driver’s seat and had a look around.

“Another car using machine-stitched leather on two seats, a top-of-the-line HUD, and more than enough airbags to help save you in an accident. So the low safety figures are because of the glued-aluminum chassis instead of going for all carbon fiber, which means it’ll have to be damned impressive on a track to make up for carrying the extra weight. Paddles mean another car with a sequential, though there’s no differential controls this time. Looking like another company tried the low-ball tactic, but that’s up against some stiff competition.”

Luke reached under the dash and pulled the hood release, then got out to look at the engine.

“Hard to see an engine under this bloody fuckin’ engine cover. Still, I can see an intercooler and turbochargers, V12, 5.2 liter displacement, DOHC, 4 valve with VVL, mag-block and AlSi heads. Direct injection, single throttle body, performance intakes, 9600 RPM redline, 748 horsepower at 8700, 537 ft-lb of torque at 6000 RPM. A well balanced engine overall, not in the rev-limiter at peak power, but not lacking too much grunt where it counts.”

He closed the hood, got out his inspection camera, and took a look under the car.

“Combined to single exhaust, 8-inch diameter pipe, catalytic, and double reverse flow mufflers, without valves. Interesting setup, but at least it’ll keep quiet.”

He settled in the car and started it up, revving the engine a few times.

“Definitely not too bad on noise. Let’s take this to the track.”

Luke dropped it in gear, then took off out of the parking garage, though noticed a mildly annoying problem right away.

“Fucking open differentials! Who the hell does that in a car with 750 horsepower!? And it’s front biased, too, so it’s pulling the primary driving wheels up and making it spin. Looks impressive, sure, but it’s killing acceleration.”

He got to the test track, prepared to thrash on the Flox GT after the annoyance of finding open differentials in a car this expensive. He showed no mercy as he floored it, making the traction control take care of the wheel-spin for the 2.9 second zero-to-sixty, followed by planting his foot hard in the brake pedal, hauling the Flox GT back down in 27.23 meters.

“I suppose, maybe they knew what they were doing for part of the car, but at least they could have thrown in some viscous diffs. It would have helped, I’m sure.”

He then took the car around the track, managing a 2:02.44 for his lap time, then headed back to the garage to write a summary.

“The Flox GT leaves me a little confused. At $84600, it’s inexpensive. At the same time, it’s performed well on the track, despite some issues with the drive-line. You’re making 750 horsepower, it’s time to give up the open diffs. At 24.1 MPG, it’s not bad on gas, and it manages to hold up well against much more expensive cars because it’s a case of cheap done correctly. They priced it low, sure, but the important thing is, the car’s brutal when comparing stats. Against the JHW Sol Invictus, the Flox GT struggles with prestige and safety. Yet the JHW was much more expensive, and chugged more fuel. Sure, the Flox only has 2 seats, but at this price point, that can be forgiven. Mostly. I’ll have to revisit the Flox GT as well.”

@Rk38

Luke looked at the next car in the lineup, then chuckled.

“Another little one. Well, the Tauga was a ton of fun, so I’ll give the Sachiuri sL200 a good try. These sports-compacts can be a lot of fun. Front end looks aggressive, like they tried to capture the essence of a samurai warrior and condense it into one car. Side uses chrome trim to break up the wall of midnight blue nicely, without being too heavy-handed with the stuff. Rear’s simple, yet pleasant, and still carries the sporty tones from the front end to the rear of the car.”

He opened the door and settled into the car, looking around at the interior.
“Well, it’s not a luxury car, but then again, it’s a sports-compact. I’ll give it this, though, it’d be more livable, day-to-day, than the Tauga was. Good quality seats, though they’re premium grade, and there’s four of them. Premium infotainment system with touchscreen and speakers everywhere. Reasonable number of air-bags to stop the car being your sports-compact coffin. Sequential transmission, electric differential, RWD, that could be a winning combination, it worked for the Tauga.”

Luke pulled the hood release, then got out of the car, looking at the engine.

“V6, 2.9 liters, though they’re claiming 3.0. Sorry, 2.929 liters rounds to 2.9 liters. DOHC, 4 valve per cylinder, VVL, all aluminum construction this time. Twin-turbocharged, with a decent-size water-to-air intercooler, direct fuel injection, single throttle body, and standard airboxes. 8500 RPM redline, 324 horsepower at 7100 RPM, 330 ft-lb of torque at 3300 RPM, so it’s got it where it counts.”

“Dual exhaust, 1.75 inch piping, catalytic, dual-reverse flow mufflers, and bypass valves. I’m seeing a mild problem here, just doing the math, but that just seems like the exhaust is restricted a little.”

He got in the car and started it up, then said, “And another one for the quiet group. I can’t hear it running easily, but thankfully, unlike the Warlock’s V12, the V6 isn’t as well balanced, so the slight shudders of the engine give it away as running. Interesting to see the design differences between the Erin Tauga and the Sachiuri sL200. Natural against Turbo.”

Luke dropped it into first gear and floored it, leaving a fresh set of stripes on the concrete as he tore out of the parking garage, hanging the car on the rev limiter as he tried to keep the tires broken loose. “Damn traction control! Off with you.” he said, jabbing at the buttons until he had traction control and stability assistance turned off. Once he’d done that, he proceeded to, again, turn most of Chicago into his own personal drift park, making the sL200 work hard to get to the track, leaving plenty of burnt rubber and tire smoke in his wake.

At the track, he decided to be fair and swap the completely trashed rear tires in favor of some fresh rubber, promptly did a hellish burnout in the parking lot to scrub the stickers off of the tires, then catapulted the car down a nearby straightaway, setting a 4.4 second 0 to 60, then piled on the brakes and hauled the sL200 down in 29.27 meters. “She’s got a little brake fade. Not much, but it’s there.”

He then took it around the track and ran a 2:15.94, bringing it into the pits soon after. “It’s definitely quick. It’s coming up a little slower than the Tauga, but then again, it’s not quite as powerful, either. And I believe it could pull off that 179 mph, if you gave it enough road to do it on. But where it really shines is in just how easy it is to get sideways. Both the Sachiuri sL200 and the Erin Tauga X manage to get sideways about equally, but the turbo spool of the sL200 just makes it feel like you’re having to work for it, even though realistically, it’s just as easy, it just sounds like you’re doing more.”

Luke drove back to the garage, though by the time he’d arrived, he’d managed to kill another set of rear tires. He parked the car, got out, and headed to write his summary.

“I can’t fairly compare the Sachiuri sL200 to most other cars in the lineup, but I can compare it with the Erin Tauga X. The differences between the two are startling, as are the similarities.
The sL200 has a premium interior for four, and infotainment only, with a bi-turbocharged V6 at nearly-three liters (I’m not going to call it three, Sachiuri, it’s 2.9.), a seven speed sequential box, and a rear-mounted electric limited slip differential, with basic progressive-rate springs. It costs $38,570.
The Tauga has a sport-grade interior for five, infotainment only, with a naturally-aspirated V6 at 3.3 liters, a seven speed sequential box, and a rear mounted electric limited slip differential, with active sport suspension. It costs $55,560.
So what makes the Sachiuri sL200 so good? A proven formula. Reasonable horsepower + good transmission + good differential + RWD = Fun. Yes, it’s not what I’m looking for, but at the same time, for a car less than $40k, it’s impressive. Yes, it’s not as good as the Tauga, but I’d like to see Erin Motor Company take $16990 out of their Tauga and compete on the Sachiuri’s level. Or to see Sachiuri put $16990 into their sL200 and get something more aggressive out of it. While I won’t be revisiting the Sachiuri, I will at least own up to the fact that I owe Maesima, their parent company, a set of rear tires. I paid for the first set, but I killed the second on the way back here. It’s just that much fun to drive.”

@LordLetto

Luke looked at the Letto Motors Alpha, a bright-red two-door coupe of similar size to the sL200 and the Tauga.

“I’ll say this right up front: Fire the designer. I get minimalism, but this is ridiculous.”

He opened the driver’s door, settling into the driver’s seat, looking around the extremely minimal interior.
“If I didn’t know any better, I’d say this is a cruel joke. Sport seats, I understand. This shit-box of a stereo, however, no. I don’t care who’s brand name is on it, if you can’t be bothered in a car this expensive to give a half decent stereo, you’re going to have a bad time. Four speakers, AM/FM/CD, and an Input. Not even proper Bluetooth connectivity. No launch control, either. Automatic transmission, so I don’t even get to play with gears for the lack of a good radio, but at least they put in an electric differential. Hopefully this tragedy is made up for by a nice chunky engine under the hood.”

Luke pulled the hood release and heard something within crack.
“Oh, great, what did they do, cheap out the chassis components? I didn’t pull that any rougher than on any of the other cars. Better hope that hood closes afterward.”

He got out and lifted the hood, looked at the engine, then propped the hood up.
“Okay guys, very funny. Come out with the cameras in your hands and no one takes a wrench to the lug nuts today. Make me hunt you down, and I’ll whomp you with a torque wrench.” Luke yelled across the parking lot, his voice hitting 110 decibels and setting off every car alarm in the room.

After spending ten minutes silencing car alarms and stalking around the garage with a torque wrench in his hands, looking for camera-wielding hooligans, Luke came to the realization that this wasn’t just a bad joke. He walked back to the Alpha, looking at the engine within.

“Inline four, 2 liter displacement, DOHC, four-valves per cylinder with VVL, all cast-iron construction. The engine is turbocharged, with a mid-sized water-to-air intercooler. Direct fuel injection with a single throttle body, and no air filter, just a racing-grade air intake. Redline at 8200 RPM, peak power is 146 horsepower at 6100 RPM, and peak torque is 196 ft-lb at 2200 RPM. About the only good thing I can say about this engine is that it’s built well and the turbo spools early.”

“Obviously, single bank so single exhaust. 1.5 inch piping diameter, a catalytic converter, and dual reverse flow mufflers with bypass valves.”

He started the engine and shook his head.
“I can already hear the turbo whining, and all the noise is in front of the car. Race intakes are for race cars. And unfortunately, I have to drive this… abomination. At least to the track and back.”

Luke drove to the track, watching the paper-thin hood flexing in the breeze. Once at the track, he brought the Alpha to a stop, then floored it to get to 60. “8.7 seconds. What a pile of… This thing’s so out-classed it’s not even funny.” Luke piled on the brakes and hauled the car to a stop, managing 30.47 meters. He wrestled the car around the track in 2:36.51, fearing something was going to break if he pushed it any further.

Disgusted, Luke dropped the keys in the center console, locked the door, closed it, then called a cab to bring him back to the garage.

“The Letto Motors Alpha, an underpowered car with an inline four straight from the average shitbox, just built-up a little bit. Polishing a turd. Body panels so flimsy that they make tin-foil look strong. Build quality that makes British Leyland and Yugo look like Rolls Royce and Bentley. Track performance of the average hybrid car, zero-to-sixty in “I’m being passed by granny in a wheelchair” and minimalism taken to an insulting extreme. The fact that I’ve ordered the car to be towed to the Letto Motors factory, and to stiff them with the bill for the tow should say something. Then again, it’s not a good idea to embarrass the person driving your car. $110,400 is 10 times too much for this lemon.”

Luke set down the tablet and stormed off to the elevator, heading up to his office and turning the air conditioning down to 36 degrees Fahrenheit.

(For the record, -15 in chassis quality. That’s why there’s comments about build quality. I did say I’d look at every building decision made. The rest of it is because Luke’s insulted about a $110,400 economy car.)

5 Likes

@TR8R

Luke came back from his little cool-down break and decided to try the First Order Automotive Commodore XL.

“Interesting design theme. I like the chrome grille and the directional turn signal arrows are a nice touch. Not necessary, but nice. Large front-side turn signal that can’t be missed, simple door handles, simple tail-lights, and an interesting exhaust layout. Not a bad setup. Though, it’s a four door car with two door handles, so something’s up.”

He opened the driver’s door and noticed an interior door handle. He pulled it, and the rear door swung open.

“Nice. Rear-passenger suicide doors. Respectable way to do it. Four seats, hand-stitched leather, HUD, all the driver assists I could want, plenty of air bags, and a good stereo system. Paddles, so there’s a sequential gearbox in there.”

Luke pulled the hood release, then said, “And a hood release that doesn’t feel like it was made with 30 year old plastic.”

He opened the hood and looked at the engine.

“Plenty of chrome. V8, magnesium block, 6.5 liter displacement, DOHC with 5 valves per cylinder, AlSi heads, naturally aspirated, direct fuel injection, dual throttle bodies, and performance intakes. Exhaust headers, we’ve got a nice bundle of snakes behind the engine. Redline at 7800 rpm, makes 710 horsepower at 7700 rpm, and 553 ft-lb of torque at 5000 rpm. Not a bad engine.”

Luke then looked under the car with the inspection camera.

“Dual exhaust, 3 inch piping, catalytic converter into twin baffled mufflers with no valves. Interesting combination.”

He closed the hood, got into the car, and started the engine.

“It’s noticeable, but that’s a good typical crossplane rumble. Let’s take it to the track and put it through hell.”

Luke got to the track and decided this time to throw the car around the circuit first, completing the course in 2:08.04. He then did the 0-60 test, taking just three seconds flat. Stopping from 60 took 29.54 meters.

“It’s not bad, speed wise. But it’s thirsty.”

Luke then drove back to the garage and parked like an asshole, taking both the Commodore’s original spot and the spot from the car-that-must-not-be-named, then got out and headed to write his summary.

“First Order Automotive is definitely trying with the Commodore XL. It has most of the right things in the right places, the price is $199,800, and you get a lot for that price. The problem is, for all that you get at that price, there are still cars that do better than it. If nothing else, the 14.8 miles-per-gallon fuel efficiency is unfortunate. It pretty much puts the Commodore out of the running. I’m trying to buy an eco-friendly hyper-luxury car, and gulping gas isn’t helping the environment.”

@titleguy1

Luke looked at the Rennen Genova from a distance, seeing the commanding presence of the large luxury car.

“Good flowing lines, defined style. The front end’s aggressive, but not too much so. Also not too plain. Side keeps things classy, with a vent, razor-thin turn signal, thin chrome stripe, and rear suicide doors. Full glass roof for maximum enjoyment of the sun. Back end’s plain, but with purpose. Lower rear diffuser and exhausts, license plate bracket, and tail-lights. I get the feeling this is another one with the rear-window mounted reverse lights.”

He opened the door and settled into the car, looking over the hand-stitched leather, the luxury-grade HUD, and the multitude of air-bags and safety equipment. “It’s nice. Again, nothing too aggressive, and that’s carried into the interior. Adjustable HUD colors, heated and air-conditioned seats up front, seating for four with extended center console. No launch control, but we do have paddle shifters and an electric differential setup, so maybe we won’t be needing it this time. Let’s take a look under the hood.”

Luke pulled the hood release, then got out of the car, opening the hood to reveal the engine.

“5.5 liter V12, magnesium block, AlSi heads, DOHC, 5 valves per cylinder, bi-turbocharged with standard air-boxes, a large water-to-air intercooler, and direct fuel injection with individual throttle bodies. Redline’s at 7500, making 558 horsepower at 6500 RPM, 548 ft-lb of torque at 3200 RPM. Balanced and yet bold.”

He grabbed his inspection camera and took a look under the car.

“Dual exhausts, 3.25 inch diameter piping, a catalytic converter and two reverse flow mufflers. No bypass valves, so it’ll stay quiet.”

Luke closed the hood, then got into the car, closed the door, and started the engine.
“True to form, it’s quiet. Time for a trip to the track to test this car.”

He arrived at the track and quickly put the car through its paces, accelerating from 0 to 60 in 4.2 seconds, and stopping from 60 in 30m. “A hint, just a hint, of brake fade. Again, livable, there’s no fear unless I’m thrashing the car all day. It’ll run a 2:15.56, so it’s quick, too.”

He headed back to the garage and parked the Genova, then headed to his desk to write a summary.

“The Rennen Genova Elite is a nice luxury car, with sports-car attitude. Sure, it’ll try to knock the stuffing out of you whenever you hit a bump and bottom out the bump-stops, but it handles well. It accelerates quickly, given the rated horsepower, and the exterior is nicely refined. The lack of launch control really wasn’t a factor with this car, as you could quite happily floor it and have the car hook up and go. At $189,000, the Genova is expensive for what you get, but it is a nice car.”

@DoctorNarfy

Luke looked at the next car in line, the Shromet Gemini.

“Proper honest-looking supercar. Low profile, calm, yet aggressive lines, center-mounted exhausts. Low-profile wing, and electrically operated doors. All up, not a bad way to spend some money.”

He hit the button on the remote, watching as the driver’s door slid out, then rotated forward, taking up virtually no extra space near the car. He settled into the driver’s seat and looked around.

“Two seats, hand-stitched leather, heads-up display that looks like it came right out of a jet-fighter, and a pair of air bags with four-point safety harnesses. Well, if there’s ever a car to crash in and come to an end, what a way to go, I suppose. Still, not the most unsafe thing I’ve ever seen.”

He pulled the hood release and heard the definite thunk of the rear of the car opening, then got out and looked at the engine.

“V8, all AlSi construction, Direct Acting OHC with 2 valves per cylinder, but it has VVL. 6.3 liter displacement, bundle of snakes racing headers, direct fuel injection with individual throttle bodies, and a nice standard air-box. Redline at 7300, 466 horsepower at 7000 RPM, 421 ft-lb of torque at 5000 RPM, with a torque curve that looks like someone skipped a stone on the graph.”

Luke grabbed the inspection camera and looked under the car. “Combined to one pipe, 3.5 inch diameter, catalytic converter, straight-through muffler and baffled muffler, with bypass valves. She’s not looking to be quiet, she’s making reasonable power and letting everyone hear it.”

He closed the engine cover, then got into the car, closing the door, putting his feet on the brake and the clutch, made sure the gear stick was in neutral, then cranked over the engine, hearing the crossplane burble echoing through the parking garage. “This is going to be fun.” Luke said to himself, taking the parking brake off, placing the stick in first, then dialing up a few revs and letting out the clutch. The Gemini jolted forward, responding immediately to Luke’s commands as he headed out onto the road.

Knowing he had the engine behind him, and knowing there was a decent bit of power behind it, he decided to ignore the launch control, instead choosing to hold the revs at 5k, waiting for the stop-light to turn green. The instant it changed, Luke dumped the clutch, and the light and responsive Gemini jumped through the intersection, bouncing off of the rev-limiter before Luke shifted into second and backed off.

“Didn’t mean to test that there, but it’ll get to 60 in 4.3 seconds. This car’s a lot of fun. Why didn’t anyone think to ask what my preferred transmission was? I don’t mind sequentials, and I’m not upset with automatics, but I like being in total control.”

He got to the track and ran a 2:15.64, as well as stopping from 60 in 30.67 meters, and seemed to draw a minor crowd as the Gemini did happen to look good.

As he headed back toward the garage, he was already planning his summary, right up to the moment he parked the Gemini, shut the engine off, and pulled the parking brake.

“It’s a $119,000 hypercar, with the engine out back, rear-mounted instead of mid-mounted. The Shromet Gemini is a driver’s dream. Six speed stick, responsive V8, low-slung sports coupe. If I had to complain about anything, it’d be that the air suspension just couldn’t get the car up high enough to avoid slamming the bump stops hard. It’s another RWD car, but it’s so much fun because, while it’s set up to understeer, it has the tell-tale playful nature of a car with the engine behind the seats. It wants to dance, it’s daring you to just stomp the pedal, just once, and let the rear end hang out, and yet, it’s not throwing you around like a dog with a new chew-toy. Instead, it’s controlled, planted, capable of brutal acceleration on demand and capable of being super tame if you wanted it to be. I’m not normally a fan of mid or rear engined cars, I don’t typically find them appealing to look at, but I could learn to like them if they all handled that nicely.”

@phale

Luke looked at the Pearlite Storm Custom, a sleek black sports coupe.

“Nice use of chrome, aggressive looking front end. Massive power-bulge in the hood, so whatever this beast is packing is going to be wicked. Sharp lines from front to back, the wing passes the sanity check by not being taller than the roof line, and the rear end, while a little plain, is 100% functional. Rear diffuser for aerodynamics, large exhausts that aren’t too large, simple, yet functional tail-lights, and a place for my license plate to go.”

He opened the driver’s door and couldn’t help but chuckle.
“Single seat, fighter-pilot style. Excellent quality hand-stitched Italian leather, heads-up display that would look right at home in a jet-fighter, good safety given the solitary seat. Some suspension controls over to my left, differential controls on my right. Paddle-shifted 7 speed sequential, though single-clutch instead of double clutch.”

He pulled the hood release, then got out of the car and looked at the engine.

“6.2 liter V12, all AlSi construction, DOHC with 4 valves per cylinder and VVL. Twin-turbocharged, large water-to-air intercooler, direct fuel injection with individual throttle bodies, and standard intakes. 9100 RPM redline, 954 horsepower at 8600 RPM, 630 ft-lb of torque at 7500 RPM. Aggressive, but balanced.”

Luke then looked under the car with his inspection camera.

“Dual exhaust, 3.5 inch piping, catalytic, followed by dual reverse-flow mufflers with bypass valves. Standard at this point, but I’m interested in giving that V12 a workout.”

He closed the hood, got back into the car, and started the engine, which settled to a quiet idle, barely a whisper in the parking garage.

“Surprising. Let’s get this beast to a track and wind it out a bit.”

Luke took off out of the parking garage, only hitting the brakes once he realized that in 2.7 seconds of blistering acceleration, he’d hit 60 miles per hour. Thankfully, with a 27.91 meter stopping distance, he was able to haul it down long before he attracted the attention of the cops.

On the other hand, he was attracting tons of attention from casual bystanders, who couldn’t help but take a look at the aggressive black jet-fighter on wheels. At the track, he slowly made his way through the crowd to the actual track itself, where he opened the taps and poured on the power, squeezing a 1:58.34 out of the Pearlite Storm Custom.

He drove back to the garage, then walked to his desk to write a summary about the car.

“I piloted the Pearlite Storm Custom around a race track. No, not drove. Driving implies that you were traveling slowly by ground, whereas the Storm Custom does anything except slow. This 950 horsepower terror quite happily shreds streets, tracks, back country roads, anything, it sees it as just another race track. Brutal acceleration makes passing a breeze, and razor-sharp handling carries with it the weight of every decision. There’s no doubt about it, this is a terrifyingly fast car, well worth revisiting later.”

@nialloftara

Luke looked toward the last car in the parking garage, the Centauri Bandlands CPV Black.

“Well, we’ve had just about everything else, why not a hot hatch? Highly ventilated front end, aggressive and ventilated rear end, small wing on the roof, and some brake-cooling vents in the side of the car. Simple, but most hot-hatches are.”

He opened the driver’s door and settled into the driver’s seat.

“Machine stitched Italian leather, high quality HUD and entertainment center, and an impressive amount of safety equipment. Four seats, which means it’s still useful. Pretty much what I’ve come to expect in this competition.”

He pulled the hood release, then got out and looked at the engine.

“V6, 4.5L, mag-block, AlSi heads, DOHC with 4 valves per cylinder and VVL. Bi-turbocharged, with a large water-to-air intercooler, direct fuel injection, twin throttle bodies, performance intakes, a 9,000 RPM redline, 902 horsepower at 8400 RPM, and peak torque of 608 ft-lb at 6800 RPM. This thing wants to rev.”

Luke then grabbed his inspection camera, looking under the car.
“Dual exhaust, 3.5 inch diameter piping, catalytic, then dual reverse-flow mufflers without bypass valves. All fairly standard at this point.”

He got back into the car and started the engine, taking note of the fact that it was reasonably quiet, then drove out of the parking garage and to the track.

He arrived at the track, immediately launching into a 0-60 run that took all of 3.2 seconds, followed by taking just 27.18m to stop from 60. He then took the Centauri around the track, managing a 2:03.42 lap time.

Luke then drove back to the parking garage and parked the Centauri, getting out to write his last report of the day.

“The Centauri Bandlands CPV Black is unusual. A hot-hatch competing for fastest luxury car isn’t something you hear about that often, but it managed. While not the best, nor the fastest, nor the most comfortable to drive, the Centauri pulled the greatest old trick of all. Disguise. You see, it looks like the typical hot-hatch. No one knows until you pull the trigger and fire yourself out of the proverbial cannon just how powerful this car is. Being an automatic means driving is easy. And it’s very well balanced. We’ll have to see just how well it does when it gets a small revisit later.”

==================================================================

This concludes the First Impressions. Yes, I know, this part is disgustingly long, but first impressions are everything. I’ll reel it in for the Elimination Rounds.

6 Likes

So that most likely rules out my entry from the next round of cuts (although if the maximum pre-markup price were <$75k or even <$100k, it may have been more competitive). I should have given it a more striking rear end, though.

And apart from a few shockers, most of the entries submitted actually had some merit.

Hmm, That’s Strange? I Don’t Recall Having -15 Chassis Quality so I Just Double Checked & Sure Enough it’s down there. I Thought it was at 0 like everything else in the Body Tabs, So I Apologize For The Crappy Build Quality There.
Sidenote, I LOLed at the Comments! I’m Still Fairly New at this so I Guess I Try to keep things Simple with Design to prevent possible Clipping of Fixtures, I Also have No Mods yet (Haven’t even looked yet to see what’s Available) so that’s something also.

Interesting thing to hear coming from a robot :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

This robot doesn’t necessarily have a secret prime directive to serve the employment interests of robots over organics :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Nice write-ups Madrias; I read them all and they were entertaining and concise. :grin:

I apologise for the lack of indicators as my entry was the first car I built since playing the light campaign and I’d got used to minimal fixtures! I’m also kicking myself for not installing the Bogliq standard manual transmission; I don’t regret my choice of auto as I was trying to build an objectively good car but (and I blame the light campaign for this :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) I’d forgotten the subjective nature of the CSR!!! :sunglasses:

I can’t wait to find out who gets the silverware!!!

3 Likes

Very very well done sir

Aaaaannnd thats a result I am very happy with and what happens when you send a concept car into the csr lol

4 Likes

Elimination Round One – Design

With 23 cars to choose from, well, 22 after sending one back to the factory, Luke had to thin the field just a little.

He decided to start with the vehicles he didn’t really prefer the look of.

@LordLetto

Already gone and left behind, somewhere on a tow-truck between Storm Automotive HQ and Letto Motors HQ, the Letto was let go for many reasons. From the extreme minimalism, looking like it was designed in 10 minutes, to the extremely sub-standard chassis quality, to the use of the wrong engine for the challenge, the Letto Motors Alpha has been sent back.

(As you’re new, a mild pointer: A lot of what was done on the cars for good looks comes from clipping fixtures. Experiment around, you’ll see what I mean.)

=======================================================================

@TheUltimateD00M

The Straton got singled out after Luke started looking for reasons to eliminate a few cars on looks.

“Personally, I think the exhausts are a little too large. Also, while the large black sedan style is menacing, unfortunately, it doesn’t stand out enough on its own among the field. Other cars included a bit of chrome to break up the wall of car, but sadly, the Straton just didn’t have it. Even the biggest engine in the competition couldn’t sway my opinion on that, and displacement sells. It’s a good car, just not my good car.”

@DracoAutomations

“The DAC-666 is perplexing to me. The front looks awesome. The sides look okay. But the rear looks like the designers gave up. This could have gone further. A chrome stripe or two on the sides would have helped break up the big wall of car, a turn signal would have added a little extra to the design, and replacing the three horizontal bars on the back with just about anything else would have had it avoid this fate.”

@lordvader1

“The LVC S.H.L. First to arrive, and so I wanted to make sure it wasn’t first to go. Which is why I hate having to do this. Unfortunately, the rear wing sticks up too high for the kind of car it is, and unfortunately, a 2:24.26 is the third slowest lap time. On the bright side, the S.H.L was faster than the DAC-666 and the Letto Motors Alpha, and for a while there in the competition, I was able to overlook the massive rear spoiler. It had a chance, and if the competition had ended earlier, if less cars had shown up, it might have still been in this.”

4 Likes

Wow. Thank you for the comments on the Tauga, but also, my god, you’ve put a serious amount of effort into this already. And we’re barely even there yet! Keep it up!

3 Likes

I wanted to prove it that with planning in advance, it’s possible to do good reviews in a three-day budget. I just happen to type fast and when I get my mindset into character, I don’t fuckin’ stop.

To be fair, I’ve got everything written out already, I’m just polishing things up using my spare time. After all, my deadline’s the 14th. Hence, I’m in no hurry, I can stop and polish things up, correct minor typos, double-check that nothing auto-corrected, and take advantage of knowing the winner already.

3 Likes

That’s a damn good strategy you have. And it means there’s tons of stuff to read through too. Me like!

2 Likes

Elimination Round Two – Going the Distance

Having only taken 23 cars down to 19, Luke realized he’d have to take it up a notch.

“Well, I did ask for fuel efficiency, and while it wasn’t super important, I’m not looking to drive anything which will consume a ton of fuel. 20 MPG seems like a good breaking point, given what I’ve asked for, and would at least pick a few more cars off.”

@BobLoblaw

“Sadly, the Ventnor Sovereign’s fate is sealed at 19.5 MPG. I liked the looks and the size of the Sovereign, but sadly, I asked for a fuel-efficient car to do everything.”

@TR8R

“As much as I liked First Order Automotive’s design with the Commodore XL, a dismal 14.8 MPG killed it.”

@JohnWaldock

“Sadly, the JHW Sol Invictus, while excellent in many regards, couldn’t quite conquer the thirst for fuel. 15.9 MPG is a bit too low.”

@CamKerman

“The Vanguard Malachite Carmillia had several striking design features, including a big sunroof. Unfortunately, 17.6 MPG did rain on the parade.”

@Darkshine5

“While I liked the looks of the DSD Saratoga, and that was enough to offset the thundering applause of the big V8, the 11.7 MPG racing car was just too thirsty for me. Mufflers can fix the noise, but sadly, there’s no true cure for a thirsty engine. However, if I was looking for a pure track car, it’d be hard to pass this one up.”

@titleguy1

“This hurts. I liked the Genova. It was classy, comfortable, had a nice big V12 in it, even posted a pretty good lap time. The truth is, 18.2 MPG is less than 20 MPG, and that number was set from the start.”

2 Likes

Elimination Round Three – Attention Getters

With 19 dropping down to 12, it was getting harder to eliminate cars, but Luke knew he had to. It was decided that anything with a prestige lower than 65 was going to have to go.

@nialloftara

“Unfortunately, the bold decision of the Centauri Bandlands CPV Black wasn’t bold enough. 63.1 prestige was so bloody close, but it’s not quite enough. However, it’s the Automatic Hot Hatch to end all hot-hatches, with just a little work.”

@DeusExMackia

“The Erin Tauga X 3.3 is fun. Sadly, parked in a parking lot, it won’t attract too many people toward it, other than fellow RWD purists. However, the Tauga, and it’s competition, were in a league of their own, and have earned a special mention at the end.”

@Rk38

“Likewise, the Sachiuri sL200 is a lot of fun. However, it, too, won’t attract anyone other than RWD purists and other drift-maniacs in a parking lot. But, being in a league with the Tauga, it, too, will get a special mention for what it could do.”

4 Likes

Elimination Round Four – But Can I Use It?

Knocking 12 down to 9 helped, but something was still bothering Luke. Many of these cars were fun, yes, but just how well could they be lived with on a day-by-day basis? Luke grabbed a common amount of supplies, enough to equal one of his trips to the local office supply store, enough to equal 40 practicality.

@AirJordan

“Unfortunately, I’d said “I’ll be back” and yet, I’m back with bad news. With the only place to store any of this being in the passenger compartment, and a right-turn guaranteeing I get plastered by a wall of printing paper in a box, the Smooth Astala Vi has been terminated. It had a great run, but with what little trunk space it had being devoted entirely to gas-tank, suspension, spare tire, and the jack, it just isn’t practical at all.”

Practicality: 0 points.

@abg7

“The two door coupe ran pretty damn far, but I can only fit a little over half of this in the back. The DMA Engineering XP55-4 pulled a great try at the “Cheap is Good” game, but maybe a bit of money spent on some storage space would have paid off.”

Practicality: 21.1 points.

@rcracer11m

“The Mott Works Aqueos comes so close on this. I almost managed to fit the entire pile of stuff, but there’s just no room left.”

Practicality: 36.8 points.

@koolkei

“Shit. I liked the Flox GT and the spider eyes. This could have been the ultimate muscle car. It played the “Cheap is Good” game well, but had a couple flaws while doing so. The open differentials weren’t your friend, and unfortunately, I can barely fit anything in the trunk.”

Practicality: 7.1 points.

@DoctorNarfy

“Well, we all saw this one coming. Surprisingly, it fit a little over half of this in the little bit of space between the front wheels, but unfortunately, there’s no room for any of the rest. Hypercars aren’t great grocery getters, I know, but I did ask for the cars to be practical, too. However, for using my favorite type of transmission, there’s an honorable mention in this for you as well.”

Practicality: 21.4 points.

@phale

“Oh, people are going to hate me for this. Yes, the mighty Pearlite Storm Custom has fallen. Being able to fit barely a quarter of my supply run in the car is… not very practical. Made even worse by there being no room in the cockpit to put any of it. It’s fast around a track, and gets good mileage, but making four trips to the store to bring one supply drop back here is… Well, that wouldn’t be fuel efficient.”

Practicality: 12.3 points.

3 Likes

Not really surprised at all :slight_smile: I made some very specific tradeoffs to achieve what I did with the Custom, so I was expecting to get dinged on that, especially considering all the sedans available.

1 Like

Oh, I understand. To be fair, I did like the Custom, it was an interesting car. Brutally fast, and fit exactly what Luke would have ordered if there was no need for practicality. It’d be the kind of car where Luke would have claimed the center-mounted seating position achieved a superior weight-balance for racing, without any considerations to the rest of the car, or even taking into account his own skill behind the wheel.

It’s why I was sad to see it go, among other cars, because the practicality ate into a lot of the really fast ones. Now, if ever that particular car body ever gets a ute variant, and you pull this stunt with that, then there’s a chance Luke might find a way to pay you for that one, too. Then it really would fit Luke’s do-everything mindset.