The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

While waiting to watch the new Deadpool movie, you’re accosted with the latest ad from that weird European car builder, Bogliq…

Presenting, especially for South American markets, the 2015 Bogliq Slyde Rio!!!

RWD, 6 speed manual, turbocharged yet economical, what more could you want! Buy Bogliq, buy better!

1 Like

[quote=“koolkei”]well. out with the leather seat.
“WOULD SOMEBODY GET THAT USED MILK CRATE OVER HERE?”
[size=50]
to be fair. my family’s car is also… $8k… new[/size][/quote]

You can’t get a new car for anything close to that here… I agree that it’s tough trying to cram as much as possible in a budget car, not just saying “f*** it, basic low-quality everything.” But that’s what the “challenge” part is about :stuck_out_tongue:

Uhmm oops :slight_smile: i guess we think alike, but just go with what you intended.

[quote=“thecarlover”]
You can’t get a new car for anything close to that here… I agree that it’s tough trying to cram as much as possible in a budget car, not just saying “f*** it, basic low-quality everything.” But that’s what the “challenge” part is about :stuck_out_tongue:[/quote]

relax, i’m using a basic interior, but a relatively good one :stuck_out_tongue:

[size=50]still basic though. [/size]

also, im curious how much people is using direct injection vs MPFI (assuming no one is using SPFI).

So, you’re looking for a car that’s small, easy to drive, fun to drive, and still comfortable, while sipping as little fuel as possible, and keeping a little under the radar so it doesn’t get stolen or stopped by every cop for driving just that little bit too fast?

Storm Automotive may have a car for you. We’ve been bit by the retro bug when we set out working on this car, but we decided, “You know, everyone who does retro is stuck square in the 60’s and 70’s. Pony cars are cool and all, but they’re not practical, small, economical, or all that useful. All they do is go fast and attract cops and thieves. Why not try something a little older, a car from a more interesting era, where a ‘wind tunnel’ was when the wind blew into the tunnel they blasted through a mountain with dynamite, when cars were swoopy and cool looking because it was easier to roll those shapes than to smash flat steel panels, and when drivers were actually in charge of their cars.”

And so the Storm Swift was created.

Under the hood, a nearly-one-liter V6 settles in, making just-about-90 horsepower, while sipping on fuel because of the Direct Injection intake manifold, plus VVL and VVT to squeeze every mile from every gallon.

We kept the size small to keep the weight down, as we know that weight is the enemy of gas mileage. The small size makes parking the Swift a breeze, gives it an awesome turning circle, and guarantees that you can fit it in any garage.

The transmission of choice is a simple 6 speed manual gearbox, giving you the best ‘true’ feeling of an old car while updating things with modern conveniences, like having useful gear ratios. With power delivered to the proper set of wheels, the Swift even handles properly and feels a bit sporty. Tires shouldn’t kill your budget, either, with low wheel-spin (but there is some, so you can actually do a burn-out in this car, should you wish to do so), and 175mm wide tires resting on 15 inch steel rims. Why steel, you may ask? Durability. Just try to gack a rim on a curb, pothole, or a rough gravel road. It’ll be nearly impossible. A cheap alloy rim might shatter and then you’re waiting for a tow truck. A magnesium rim might hold up, but could suffer some expensive damage if pushed too hard. Steel, however, is nice and cheap, and should you manage to damage one, replacement won’t be that expensive.

Brakes are single piston solid discs on all four corners, because we fully believe that drum brakes are obsolete. We wanted to install them for a more authentic driving experience, but decided that it would be for the best to have stopping power instead. However, we feel it’s fair to warn you that if you spend any time pushing the limits, there is a tiny bit of brake fade, so do keep that in mind if you choose to go down any mountain roads in this car. However, you do have six gears, and that engine does have a 9000 RPM redline, so engine-braking may be an option to consider.

We’ve fitted the car with an aerodynamic undertray to minimize drag, which might increase the cost of your average oil change a little, but we feel it’s a fair trade when you consider that we’re giving you 45 miles per gallon in this car. Without that undertray, well… Let’s just say we felt it was worth the extra cost.

You’ll also be pleased to know we managed to fit a proper standard interior and infotainment package in this car. Now, a minor sticking point, you did ask for 5 seats, but… We couldn’t find any place to fit the 5th seat and still have seatbelts, and as much as our technicians wanted to install a rumble seat, it was deemed unsafe, and it’d take up too much of the precious little trunk space we had left. We managed to fit four seats in the car, though, so hopefully that’ll be enough. We’ve also given you a nearly-top-of-the-line safety package, because in such a small car, we understand there’s not much room for crumple zones. However, with our Advanced Safety package, you’ll be fairly safe should you ever have an accident. You’ll be pleased to know that we believe driving aids to be a good thing, so we’ve fitted the car with power steering, ABS, Traction Control, and Stability assistance. Underneath the radio, you’ll find two toggle switches, one which allows you to disable Traction Control, and one which disables Stability Assistance. We know at some point you will do so, even though we don’t recommend it, but this saves you digging around in the fusebox looking for which fuses to pull.

Suspension is simple, but effective. MacPherson struts up front and a semi-trailing arm in the back. Again, the engineers wanted to fit the back with leaf springs and a solid axle, but the test car rode so poorly that the decision was made to put something better back there. The springs are standard, which we picked to improve sportiness, and they’re fitted with twin-tube dampers to keep the cost down. Passive swaybars decrease the body roll typically associated with old cars. The ride height is high enough that you won’t be scraping up the bottom of the car, but we don’t recommend trying to drive this like a 4x4, either.

We think you’ll be happy with the price, at $14910, given what you get for that price.

1 Like

lol it’s a London cab. The massive penalties to the desirability come from the ancient body, which would also put a big hit on safety too, I imagine. I, too, used an old body, but nowhere near as old as that!

Also I may have tactically gone with standard interior and entertainment, the most un-Stroppish way to go against the grain :laughing:

[size=85](And sub 1L displacement, that’ll save you a few hundred bucks in taxation too.)[/size]

Well here we are again. When I saw asdren’s car I knew what time it is. It’s Bring Back the Box time :smiley:

With square shape and less than 4m lenght it’s a breeze to park. If there is a problem we added some bumpers…
Progressive comfort springs, high ride hight, big sidewalls and plastic lower part of panels will save you the trouble of driving on bad roads.
Alloys, disc brakes, medium compound tyres, standard interior and infotainment and much more.
Last but not least is’t kind to your wallet with 1L 106HP turbo engine and 14 595$.

1 Like

Here at [size=150]ABR Designs[/size] we strive to push the limits, to go beyond the apparent path in order to provide you with something different, something exciting, something extraordinary.
We provide you with the [size=150]ABR Anaconda[/size]

Instead of a tiny tincan you can have a proper car with room for all your heart desires and plenty of space for yourself and four friends or family. With our standard entertainment package, all drivers assist available and safety equipment, you will be comfortable, entertained and safe with almost 5 meters of car. Parking sensors are provided free of charge for easy parking. Now, do you like flat powerbands?

A proper car needs a proper engine, and while it might be in the middle brackets of taxation, the 2L turbocharged inline 6 will get you from[size=150] 0-100 in 7,9 seconds[/size] and peak out at 240km/h. With a close to 50/50 weight distribution it has that proper sportiness feel without compromising your comfort or drivability too much. Your wallet will also be satisfied with running costs well below 2000$ and a fuel economy of[size=150] 8,31 L/100km.[/size] And by the way, [size=150]Green Hell is done in 9.37.57[/size] if that was to be your kind of thing.

At a price of 15.015 $ with both engine and total reliability well over 70, we hope you will visit one of our dealerships shortly, you will not regret it

Kirk Automotive has got the car for you! Say hello to the 2015 Venier!

You save money in taxes by being under a liter, but you still get 147HP. That’s right, 147HP! How is that possible in a car under 15k you may ask. Well, if you downplay drivability and fuel economy, you just strap a huge turbo to a 1 liter and dump in fuel! The Turbo pushes over 23PSI of boost, though it doesn’t fully spool till 3600RPMs. But wait, that’s really not that bad, considering that once spooled you get between 110 and 146HP in the 3.6k to 6.8k RPM power band. To top it off, it does this on just regular fuel.

However, there is price to pay. Before the turbo spools, this car…well… it doesn’t really go anywhere. Without boost, the large 3200lb car is unbearably slow. But if you love getting on the boost at every light, this is the car for you. Rev it up and smoke those tires! But if you don’t like turbo lag, yeah don’t buy this car. We also have a nice NA 2.2Liter flat torque curve version for about $200 less, but it’s slower and you loose the tax break. But with the 1 Liter engine being so cheap to make, you get features like direct injection, 16 valves, Ball Bearing Turbo, and Water Cooled Intercooling! Yeah, for less than 15k. In a car that also has a pleasant interior that seats 5, Infotainment System, stability control, and comfy yet sport suspension.

So bad is the gas mileage? Well it is a 1 liter so how bad can it be? Lets just say we’re happy it breaks 20MPG.

But otherwise it’s perfect!

Unless it rusts, which is likely. Sorry about that. At least the frame is galvanized, but yeah. Not a good beach/snow car. Keep it clean!

img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/Carskick/2015%20Kirk%20Venier.png

1 Like

While driving by your neighborhood Mott Works dealer you see a brand new Vert STR that strikes your look with its bright green color.

When you go to learn more about you find that it costs $15000 and is powered by a turbocharged 1L inline 4 producing 90hp and gives a staggering 50mpg. The power from this engine is transferred through a 6 speed sequential gearbox to the 175/65R15 tires. Inside it is equipped with standard cloth seats and a basic radio. There are 5 seats and driver assists such as power steering,abs, and esc. The car has a steel body and chassis equipped with struts in the front and a semi trailing arm in the rear which makes the car very easy to drive and comfortable.

1 Like

which do you prefer leo, speed AND safety?
or economy and lower running cost?

I would love to have them all together :stuck_out_tongue:

But if I really needed to choose, my heart would say speed and handling, my head would say low costs.

well then

compromise, compromise…
good handling with 33mpg or 38mpg with somewhat more practicality?

i’m trying to find something in between. but end up failing… mannn

Toss a coin? As far as competitions go, it’s always a choice between compromising everything to do alright in everything, or heavily comprimising a couple of things to be excellent in a couple other things.

Koolkei, if leo had chosen or was able to, he would have indicated it from the beginning :stuck_out_tongue: It’s our choice to make and then try to convince!

2015 Rado Van DX:
Do you want spacious? Do you want practical? Do you want a van?
Rado is here to help! First introduced in 1986, and getting a facelift in '07, the Rado Van has seating for 9, with the second and third row able to fold down for extra cargo space.
Under the hood you get a 2.0L DOHC Multi-point EFI (to save money) Inline-4 engine producing 108 hp and 115 ft-lbs of torque.
Inside unfortunately the seats are made from cheaper materials than normal to keep it within budget, and it’s not very prestigious.
The vehicle makes 25 American MPG combined, and it’s not very fast either, with 0-62 taking 15.2 seconds and a top speed of 101 mph.
But we promise you, that won’t matter when the time comes that you have to haul 9 people + cargo around.

Pricing starts at 14910 Automation units.

1 Like

VAT is gonna kill me :laughing:

In 2012, ‘Luther Brasil’ introduced a new face to the Brazilian automotive scene. That was the Toloero. Imported to (and later built in) Brazil, the Toloero was a re-branded Heisler of the same name which when translated means “thrust”. A sporty yet practical four door meant to provide an affordable, reliable, and manageable saloon. The 2015 Toloero is the next step in this line providing a wide variety of options that range from expanding the sportiness for the thrill seekers to refining the prestige for life’s finer pleasures.

The model shown above includes, as standard, the Luther Sport vented hood for a well ventilated engine. A naturally aspirated Inline 4 engine that puts out 171HP hooked up to a six speed manual transmission with a limited slip differential. Its able to propel you to 100km/h in 7.7 seconds! Yet its economical, delivering approx. 32 US MPG! When you need to stop, don’t worry as the 4 ventilated disc brakes help you with absolutely no fade! Of course Alloy wheels with sport tires are also standard! Enjoy quality industry standard seating for four (a fifth seat is an available option), a satellite capable stereo system with auxiliary jack support for external players, electronic stability and launch control are all STANDARD!

You can get all this for 14,910! So why haven’t you bought one yet? VAT? Pssh, ask your dealer for more information on how to avoid the VAT; you’d be surprised how far American business men will go to get you into this car)

1 Like

remember this guy from 1993?

we just launched the 6th generation lineup, and this is one of it.

the same formula has now been improved.
same old, economy, low cost, low running cost, reliability, and practicality.
but now, with a bigger and longer body, you can fit even more!
with a bigger and higher revving 1.2l VVTL engine pumping out 120HP @ 8700RPM!

all only for $14910*
[size=35]*Before VAT. terms and conditions apply.[/size]

1 Like

The original (and much better) ad got deleted, so this will have to do. Presenting, the (not so new) MicroDesigns Astro B, a slightly sporty yet efficient hatchback.

Entries are closed. I planned to write the reviews this afternoon, but something came up and I don’t feel all that well right now either, so they will probably come tomorrow, if I manage to stop writing so much per car. Even though I’m streamlining as much as I can, I’m still writing around 350-400 words per car.