The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

Probably lore, given it would take a bit of slightly advanced engineering for companies to adopt DI commonly for a couple of years yet. If you’re just crunching numbers, of course, then DI admittedly does offer significant advantages so it takes some real resolve to use otherwise.

As for the single throttle body, with these kind of outputs, it’s not like a single body is strangling anything too much yet.

I’m using low friction pistons so a ITB setup puts max power above their safety rated rpms, dual intakes don’t add any power and the response gain isn’t enough to offset the driveability and comfort hits that it gives. As for DI vs mpfi I’ve never liked direct injection, I use it only when there’s a need for absolute power or economy. My company has always been about bang for buck performance and direct injection just costs too much for me to use on anything but the top range models.

2 Likes

Nialloftara’s car is kind of what I was getting at with my question (sorry to pick on you): Does it really make sense for Toyota to rebadge an American muscle car and put it in their lineup?

Also, different topic: what about safety?

Toyota is known for making pretty safe cars, so it’s safe to assume (pun intended) that good safety equipment is expected.

I’m running with an idea that I’m sure nobody else is doing, so I hope that turns out well. :smiley:

1 Like

I’ll shove in something then.

Introducing the Letto ST-69 (Sexy Time Sixty Nine) Powered by a 3.5L V6 DOHC 4 Valve Twin Turbo Pushing out 295 Ft-Lb of Torque @ 2300RPM & 300HP @ 7200RPM With a Redline of 7600RPM:

2 Likes

Well, replacing the 86 doesnt mean we have to replace the car with the exact same car with slightly better stats doesn’t it?

I’m pretty sure we could replace it with any kind of car that also appeals to the same market just as well.

Like, japanese compact sports sedan could somewhat compete with some european hot hatch, or even modern american pony/muscle car.

Edit:
And right there, i just explained the competition between, the BRZ vs Focus RS vs Mustang…
Okay that may have been a derp :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

It’s no problem, in the American market the gt86 and BRZ usually get compared to the pony trims of the muscle cars, either the v6 Camaro or the Ecoboost mustang, back in 2012 the mustang only had the v6 and was lighter than the Camaro but more powerful than the gt86 there were a bunch of close head to head contests from motoring magazines with them the Miata mx-5 and GTI as affordable sports cars, the light weight usually got the gt86 out of the issues it’s lack of power got it in to, so I thought why not take the power of the Camaro v6, get the weight between the gt86 and the mustang, and let it handle like a miata. That was the result I got, and still getting the best economy from the group and the beautiful v8 sound everyone likes. I mean yeah the engine output is low for a v8 of that year, it’s much closer to the older 4.6 Ford modular 3 and 4 valve engines from the mid 90’s- 2010 and I will admit that was a direct influence on my engine design. The goal was a sports car to replace the gt86, and in the American market where I am a cheap v8 coupe that could out perform the v6 and turbo or NA 4’s that were in its price class, that’s something I feel the marauder does very well.

3 Likes

absolutelty non-american:

cause the vichingo simply isnt crazy enough

edit: reworked the front:

3 Likes

Yeah, this is what I was trying to get at. Of course the Mustang/Camaro compete with the likes of the 86/FR-S and the Miata. They’re all affordable sports coupes, and lots of buyers will be cross-shopping them. So if you’re just trying to compete with the FR-S, then yeah, a Mustang makes sense. But would Toyota replace the FR-S with a Mustang?

I think it’s the fact that we’re selling these cars as our own companies, but also supposed to be selling them as a Toyota, that is confusing me. Who is the buyer here? Is it a guy looking for an affordable sports car, or Toyota looking for a car to rebadge as a Toyota?

Keep in mind that I’m not trying to criticize you, because to tell the truth, I want to do the same thing :wink: Just would like some clarification from @HighOctaneLove.

1 Like

Here are some ideas I’ve rejected.

This was my sacrilegious entry it’s pretty much the antithesis of the 86…yet it meets the requirements.

Rk38 - CSR23 - Rk38 RAV4.zip (26.8 KB)

I just didn’t like how this turned out. I gave it the same engine as the RAV so as to not give away my final CSR23 engine choice. :wink:

Rk38 - CSR23 - Rk38.zip (26.7 KB)

10 Likes

Nice Rav4! I recognised it instantly, would have been funny to have a GT86 Rav4… there’s always the two door Cayenne body for that.

1 Like

Well I remember people saying this version of the RAV with the V6 was about the best performance vehicle Toyota had at the time :joy:

The two entries you had previously considered showed some promise - the two-door coupe clearly reminds me of an Aston Martin! Why, then did you choose not to submit either potential entry? At least we get a chance to tune (and hopefully improve) them…

So Toyota is looking for a better alternative to the GT86 that won’t get any hate? Here is the 2012 GT88 TRD.

With styling heavily influenced by the 1971 Toyota Celica, the GT88 TRD is designed as a true revival of Toyota sportscars. It’s a very high quality FR 2+2 coupe with an aluminium body and double wishbone suspension on all wheels. The engine is an AlSi 2.2L Turbocharged I4 with a bore and stroke of 88.8 mm (hence the GT88 name) producing 304 hp and 250 ft-lb of torque while revving up to 7000 RPM. 0-100 km/h takes 5 seconds, top speed is 276 km/h, and it will lap the Airfield Track in 1:23.65 while returning 6.9L/100 km. The 6-speed manual transmission, analog suspension, and sport compound tires should appeal to all the purists. Inside, you’ll find a high quality standard interior with premium infotainment, advanced safety features, and all driving assits that can be disabled.

The GT88 has been designed to entirely improve on the GT86 and with a price of $19,000, it also manages to undercut the price.

3 Likes

The Aureax.

This is a Sportscar for the modern age.

It comes with a 2000cc V6 Turbo with 227hp, 6 speed manual transmission, Double Wishbones front and rear, and an aluminium body.

0-60 is done in 6.3 seconds, Top Speed is 147mph, and does 7.29L/100km.

Now, you may be thinking “that’s seems a little lacking”, but the Aureax is not only a car you want to drive, but one you want to drive everyday. great detail has been paid to the quality of the interior, the suspension setup, the infotainment/driver assists, and the transmission to strike a balance of both old school driving feel and modern day ease of use.

we also designed the exterior to look as crisp, sharp, and modern as possible. sure, it may not be the most exiting or out there, but it exudes quality and has real world practicality, too.

yours for $22000 OTR

4 Likes

Nope, that wouldn’t make any sense; you’re replacing the 86, not the entire rest of the Toyota range! :laughing:

I’ll allow a min of 2.4m but you need to really sell the reduction in size![quote=“phale, post:3503, topic:6447”]
I think it’s the fact that we’re selling these cars as our own companies, but also supposed to be selling them as a Toyota, that is confusing me. Who is the buyer here? Is it a guy looking for an affordable sports car, or Toyota looking for a car to rebadge as a Toyota?
[/quote]

A panel of Toyota execs will be selecting the most suitable design to become the 86 replacement. Basically we’re roleplaying a “what if” scenario as if YOU were designing the new 86!

Also please don’t ask questions in PM’s; ask 'em here so that no-one’s out of the loop! :grin:

Listen to thecarlover, he is wise and knowledgeable in the Force!

3 Likes

Well… In that case… Im glad this conversation hapenned. Because otherwise i would have submitted a dodge viper with toyota quality and toyota engine…

2 Likes

Yep, that was the issue with my earlier coupe. Now the question turbo or naturally aspirated?