The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

Wow, excellent work @strop. Absolutely captures the essence of Toyota styling and design work around the 86 and it’s concepts.

In fact, it is somewhat similar to my own take on the prompt both in design and engineering although yours has better overall performance, stats and track times and such.

What you just submitted is basically the car I expected the 86/BRZ to be from the outset, but wasn’t: years of reading various car enthusiast magazines’ articles on the two cars led me to conclude that, although they were good, the lack of torque and the fitment of economy-biased tires was ultimately preventing them from attaining true greatness. I also shared your mild disappointment on discovering that these cars, while quite pretty in isolation, need more aesthetic sparkle. You have definitely delivered a legitimate contender with this one!

a couple of people might disagree

Well, duh, of course a couple of people might disagree :stuck_out_tongue: In this day and age, which car has ever garnered universal, uniform approval of all of its aspects?

I defy you to answer this!

There’s definitely more to life than power, but the disagreement revolves around “how much power is enough for the chassis?” Exactly who was the GT86 catering to, and if we interviewed everybody who knew of the car, what would they say?

I can’t answer that question, but what I do know is that we’re catering to one buyer here, and that’s HOL.

Ford’s stuff seems to be getting praise from virtually everyone. Makes me think they’re not really that good.

Nope they are.

@strop to answer your question Ford sierra cosworth any car person knows about these and even if they dont like em do admit that they were unbelievable performing cars in all forms that and maybe the gtr r32

1 Like

what is the deadline again

Though I’m not sure what time zone, central Europe somewhere.

well if you’re not sure. just play it safe and consider it closes a day early.

Toyota GTC Concept

The GTC Concept is our vision for the GT86 as best it can be created in Automation. We drew on the Toyota styling from the FT86 and FT-86 II Concepts to create a proper rear wheel drive sports car for production with the essence of the original concepts which generated so much positive excitement among automotive enthusiasts.

Instead of partnering with Subaru to use the Boxer engine we created an Inline 4 cylinder which pays homage to the original AE86 by sharing a 1.6 L displacement. However, to fit the modern times it features mild turbocharging to provide 180 kW (241 hp) while also delivering outstanding 5.50 Litres per 100 km (42 US MPG; 51 UK MPG) fuel economy.

In addition to this exceptional fuel economy and power, it has the performance to match with a 0-100 km/h in 5.3 seconds delivered via a six-speed manual gearbox.

It has four seats with standard interior and safety with a basic infotainment system. The body is an AHS Steel Monocoque with Aluminium Panels. The suspension is double wishbone front and rear for true performance handling.

All this comes from affordable price of $15,900 (0% base)

17 Likes

holy shit. give that man the trophy!

1 Like

*all the trophies

1 Like

WOW btw this meme describes it all!

2 Likes
I can't be assed to make a proper photoshop, so here's my entry.

Everything was made from scratch.

The pinnacle of nearly 50 years of racing pedigree, we introduce the new 2012 Toyota GT-178.

Under the hood of this FR monster is a turbocharged 1.8 Liter Inline-4, codenamed the 2ZR-GET, which produced nearly 250 HP. The car, named after its chassis code of A178, is a pure enthusiast driver’s car. A 6-Speed manual and Limited Slip Differential are standard, while the GT-178 itself can manage nearly 40 MPG.

6 Likes

Wow! It’s helped a bit by your fantastic Photoshop but that is a real looker! I see what you mean by we used very similar approaches. You have a better economy and I have slightly more performance.

Truth be told I strongly considered using the not-Aston body myself. The reason I didn’t was its size: the shape us even better but the wheelbase is longer and so is the length, and HOL kept talking about leaving room for the Supra, so I was pretty confident…

…but seeing a design like this which is right up there with other Pro concept designs makes me second guess myself argh :joy:

1 Like

Looking at the cars people sent here on the last few days, I saw a trend for turbo-charged, expensive, concept looking cars. Of course, I thought I should react to that. And I did. By making my car naturally-aspirated, way under-budget and quite boring looking, as a toyota should be.

My thinking came from the fact that I don’t think the GT 86 has any inherent faults, the only things would be that it is somewhat underpowered, the engine doesn’t sound very good and the interior could be better. All things were fixed here, by using a 250 hp inline 6 engine and premium interior. At the same time, basic simplicity was kept, RWD, mechanical limited slip, using a proper geared set up, a manual gearbox and passive suspension, none of that active crap here (which from a RP perspective doesn’t make sense to use anyway, considering how expensive it is irl).

All for just $17,600, so Toyota can sell it for 22k and still have some nice profits.

3 Likes

Hahaha! I’m Australian but I wanted to find an obscure (from my POV) country to start my fictional company in. Australian car design is really boring and derivative of US and British tastes so I wanted to start somewhere with no automotive baggage. :grin:

So you have to use AEST (+10) to get the correct date, BUT!!! Just look at the thread every day; no closure post then send me your entry stat!!! :innocent:

1 Like

Haha! That’s the Leo we know (and love).

This being said the concept-looking, expensive and turbo don’t all come together! Rk38 and mine are cheap (with cheaper interior), Denta has NA, AirJordan is like “what is a v12 doing in a Geo Metro” :joy: it’s a pretty good mix actually.

2 Likes

Well fuck… Mine is not as economical. Not as cheap, not as pretty… This is how i feel every round really

trying with small NA engine? if yes then economic and cheap yet powerful is quite hard to get