The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

Well that’s a nice modern hotrod if i’ve ever seen one

That’s what legends car is about. So hopefully I did good on that.

On a side note, The body was literally just released today , so I hope I get bonus points for the most hastily assembled car… LOL.

3 Likes

that car could house a inline 8 :smiley:

Current entries:
@Madrias
@TR8R
@Fayeding_Spray
@abg7
@Darkshine5
@HighOctaneLove
@lordvader1
@TheUltimateD00M
@AirJordan
@DracoAutomations
@JohnWaldock
@thecarlover
@koolkei
@4LGE
@Rk38
@phale
@Denta
@DoctorNarfy
@strop
And with that entries are closed making for a total of 19 entries.

5 Likes

phew just squeaked in there! I wasn’t revealing anything because I wasn’t sure I made the cut.

The best racing is done wheel to wheel, bumper to bumper, with duels of skill at the limits of performance. But the best racing is also fast. And in many cases, out of reach of the common man.

Unless, of course, you race in a Neutrino.

Steel panels because we know you’re going to get up to some argy bargy and what racecar doesn’t need a bit of rebuilding (or a good pounding with a mallet) after each round? But aluminium chassis because stiff and lightweight. Yes, aluminium chassis would be more expensive to rebuild, but with a car as eminently controllable as this is, yet still challenging on the limit (shameless plugging), we expect some argy-bargy, not completely wrecked, right?

Don’t let the quoted fuel figure fool you, this is a true race-tuned engine, designed to go and go and go on the limit for less. It’s most efficient right in the powerband.

On sports compound road tyres, this will deliver you supercar acceleration, braking and cornering, except only for 19950.

Make no mistake, the Neutrino will offer you the best driving experience for the budget, and therefore the most exciting racing an aspiring amateur race driver can get!

9 Likes

Alright time to get the reviews started. These are going to be released in groups of 5 cars with the tracks times being on the Watkins Glen track (which is my “home” track).

Denta - Pragata kit car - 2:06.85

Now to start off the reviews we have the Pragata kit car, an interesting looking car with its large bullbars both front and rear, will certainly help reduce damage to the body, other than that the design is fairly simplistic with its use of grills, vents, and lights. It does feature a lip in the front and wing on the back to produce downforce though. It uses a mid engined rear wheel drive aluminum monocoque chassis with full double wishbone suspension and partial aluminum panels.

The engine in the car is an undersquare 2L V6 that makes 254hp and 163lb-ft. It uses DOHC 4 with VVL, a strange choice due to the added weight and little importance on low end economy. The engine is fairly unreliable, although it’s mostly down to the race intake as the forged internals are capable of the high rpm although they must’ve been worried of their strength as the rpm limit is only just above peak power, reducing the cars acceleration. The economy of the car is 23.6 gallons/hr on regular fuel. It does use the very expensive race headers and high flow cat.

The power from that engine goes through a 7 speed manual transmission, likely to reduce the power loss as a result of the low rpm. It does has a viscous LSD although being mid engined it wasn’t really needed with the extra weight on the rear wheels. The tires are fairly expensive at $581 for a full set, mostly due to the large size at 245/255 in width and large 18” alloy rims. Braking is slightly rear biased, rather unsafe although it does have ABS.

On the track and I was able to manage a 2:06.85. It is a very fun car to drive with the suspension setup being right on the edge, surprising not to have understeer with the mid engine setup. The wing and lip do produce slight downforce. I is harder to drive than we would like with a difficulty rating of 1.18, we would like that to be right at 1.

Overall, the high price of tires, low engine reliability, and high difficulty mean this isn’t the best choice for us.

Madrias - Storm Legends RS - 2:14.99

Now onto the second car, the Storm Legends RS, this is quite an interesting one due to its use of a ladder chassis, not a spaceframe or monocoque like most of its competition will be using. Said chassis is made of AHS steel with a corrosion resistant steel body on top, an interesting choice to spend the extra money on corrosion resistance although it is appreciated.That body is very classic muscle in its styling with large chrome bumpers, large grill and large stance with its very long overhangs. Other than that the basis of this car is pretty standard with an FR setup and double wishbones all round.

Now onto the engine and it’s a square, all iron, 2.0L I4 with DOHC and VVL again.The economy of this engine uses 26.1 gallons/hour, and that is on premium fuel. The main issue with this engine is it’s reliability, being a square engine the stroke is fairly long and so it puts a lot of strain on the internals which aren’t up to the job. The exhaust system is a bit strange as well as it strangles the engine at high rpm and it uses a high flow cat which gives little benefit.

Now to focus on the rest of the car. It uses a 5 speed manual with a viscous LSD. For tires It uses staggered 175/195mm widths which results in some understeer. The tires are cheap though being medium compound and mounted onto 17” steel rims at $352 for a full set. It has plenty of engine cooling to reduce mechanical failure and it utilizes a fully clad undertray. Surprisingly it doesn’t use any driver assists not even power steering which in a 2800lb car will certainly be a workout for the drivers. It also uses progressive springs instead of standard springs, possibly to make up for the drivability lost due to the absence of power steering although due to the staggered tires its a very easy car to drive with a difficulty rating of .84, a bit lower than we would like.

Overall, a decent car however let down by staggered tires and a high weight of 2800lbs which ruined the driving characteristics of the car.

Rk38 - GBF Procurro SR6 - 2:02.20

Now onto the GBF Procurro SR6. Now this is a very interesting looking car with a very futuristic looking body that makes it look as though the car is powered by either a jet, or, like the chaparral 2X, a laser. It is a larger car with a 2.75m wheelbase. The body is full aluminum with an aluminum monocoque chassis. It also uses pushrod suspension both front and rear to improve it’s cornering.

Unfortunately the car isn’t jet or laser propelled so we’ll have to look at the mid mounted 3.6L V6 engine. It produces 405hp and 277lb-ft, quite a bit of power for an amateur race car. Again it’s another DOHC 4 setup with VVL, I wonder why so many people thought they needed VVL on a race car, although no VVT . Reliability is a bit low as the conrods and crank are quite stressed. It’s also expensive to fuel this car as it uses 57.4 gallons of premium fuel each hour.

A 6 speed manual is used as well as a viscous LSD, quite useful on this car as it can easily spin the tires with all of its power. It does mean a very fast 0-60 time of 3.7 seconds though. It uses very staggered tires at 225/335 width and they cost $597 for a full set. The braking is rear biased although there is ABS to make it less of an issue. In fact it uses every driver assist except power steering.

On the track its as though it was a muscle car compared to the competition. Very fast in a straight line, but when it comes to a corner it suffers from severe understeer which makes me concerned about the safety as people are likely to miss a corner and head straight on into a wall with its 1.13 difficulty.

In conclusion, this doesn’t suit our needs as its too powerful and fast to be safe for our drivers.

TR8R - Desert Fox - 2:24.53

Onto the Desert fox and this, a small little rear engined sports car. Another car with protective bullbars on it. It also has a rather strange exhaust setup as the muffler and exhaust are above the car. It uses a steel spaceframe with an aluminum body as well as strut suspension front and rear.

Another V6 engine is in this car, although this one is tiny at just 1.5L, it makes 137hp and 103lb-ft so still a decent output. This one does not use VVL although it is made of cast iron so is still heavy for its size. Surprisingly it uses mechanical fuel injection which reduces the reliability which would otherwise be very high. Efficiency wise it uses 34.3 g/hr on premium fuel, partly due to the inefficient injection system. RPM limit is once again a bit low with only 100 rpm past peak power.

A 6 speed manual is used however an LSD is not, although being rear engine it doesn’t need one. Tires are really cheap at just $310 since they are only 175/215 and are hard compound on small 15” steel rims. Braking is once again rear biased but unlike the others this one doesn’t feature ABS so that will make the car quite difficult to drive. A key point of this car however is the price at just $14,550

On the track and this car just isn’t as interesting as the competition, it is however very easy to drive with a .79 rating, which is actually too easy.

Although this car looked promising with its low cost it just isn’t good enough on track to be used.

Vri404 - Eduar XXV - 2:21.03

Now onto another very similar car. Again rear engine, steel spaceframe car however this one uses corrosion resistant steel. This one uses the much superior double wishbone suspension though. The look are interesting with its small headlights and few grills. Oh and it also has a table on the back…

This one uses an even smaller V6, only 1.3L and it produces 111hp and 95.8lb-ft. It does use a very mild cam however which restricts it’s output. It uses 35.1 g/hr of premium fuel, increased due to the 13.5 AFR. It’s also another car to use race intake which leads to low reliability and it also uses race headers and high flow cat which increase the price quite a bit.

A 6 speed manual is used, as is common it seems, however this one uses a geared LSD, which does more harm than good. It increases the price and makes it near impossible to spin the wheels which could lead to drivers stalling off the line as they go for a hard launch. The tire are staggered at 205/245, while it could’ve been possible to use 225 rear tires to both reduce cost, from $569 to $531, and make the car more interesting to drive. It is another car to use a fully clad undertray allowing the car to reach decent speeds even with the low power engine. The only driver assist is power steering with the others not even being necessary.

On track it’s very similar to the desert fox, less interesting to drive than the competition and also very easy to drive.

Overall, too much money seems to have been spent on things like headers and diffs which lead to it under performing in many areas.

12 Likes

How do you calculate tire cost?

Material cost of the tire+material cost of the rims.

4 Likes

LOL that was calculated?

i’m fukked

$648.85+$93.7= $742.55
thanks to 315/315 tires :joy:

also why VVL? it was kinda emphasized on the AMATEUR racer part. plus it needs to be cheap.
so in my mind it means, some of these people are actually gonna DRIVE their race cars to the track. and not tow them on a trailer, because they already spent most of their money on the car itself. that’s why i went for VVL. because cruising speed is somewhat important. or so i thought

wait is Limited Production allowed or no?

allowed yes. but double posting on purpose is not

1 Like

well shit i didnt know the gate closed for entries well maybe better luck next time.

Group 2

@abg7 - WMD CBX4 Cup - 2:05.72

Now the WMD CBX4 Cupp car. It’s a very small FR coupe with an aluminum monocoque and aluminum body. It uses double wishbone suspension on the front with multilink rear suspension. Its got a very sporty look that would certainly suit a racetrack with its long low lines and gt style rear wing.

The engine in the car is a 1.6L I4, bigger than the last 2 6 cylinders we’ve seen. It does return to the strange trend of using VVL though. It does develop 202hp and 130lb-ft which is very good for the engines size. Reliability is very high however it does use expensive titanium conrods. It uses just 21.3 g/hr of premium fuel, it could’ve been even better had it used a 15:1 afr instead of the 14.4 that it has now. It’s also another car that uses high flow cats which for these low power engines makes little to no difference except to increase costs. It is a very quiet car as well, utilizing 2 reverse flow mufflers.

It uses a 6 speed manual with a geared LSD, although a viscous style would’ve been adequate for this cars power output. It does use expensive wheels, at $448, with sport compound 225s all around on 18” alloy rims. Braking is very front biased with 6 piston brakes whereas the rear only has 1 piston, however all driver assists are included on this car so it’s not a major issue. Another fully clad undertray as well, it may be to make up for the extra drag of the overcooling of the engine as well as the cooling airflow over the brakes.

On track and it’s certainly a great car to drive. Very fun and just the right amount of difficulty at .96. It’s also one of the faster cars here due to the 1.21g that it an pull in the corner which makes up for the lower power in comparison to the competition.

This one is certainly a contender for us to use.

@Phale - Ardent - 2:07.21

From one small coupe to another. The Ardent uses a very similar body to the CBX4, however it looks very different. Whereas the CBX4 was smooth and flowing, the Ardent is sharp and aggressive. The body is also made of aluminum and the suspension setup is the same with double wishbone and mutilink. The chassis itself is very different though being an AHS steel ladder. I wasn’t expecting to get any ladder cars but we’ve already gotten 2 of them. Also I’ve been told that this car is designed for dirt track racing.

The engine in this is another V6 although this is a 2.5L, and it’s also the first to use 5 valves per cylinder. One strange thing about this engine is that the redline is below peak power. Peak power is at 8800rpm while the redline is at 8500. It seems the reason is that they used some of the cheaper internals of this competition, with a cast crank and regular forged pistons. It uses 26.3 g/hr of regular fuel, so it’s quite cheap to run.

It uses a 7 speed manual, which seems strange for dirt racing, as well as a locked diff which powers all 4 wheels. Being that they’re designed for dirt and not tarmac the tires are very cheap at only $228. Brakes are front biased again, although not as bad, with 4 piston brakes in the front and it does have ABS. It does use an off-road skidtray to protect it on the dirt tracks and lift is completely negated by the front lip and rear wing. Also, it only costs $18,600.

Unfortunately, I can’t test at a dirt track so Watkins glen will have to do. It is a very fun car to drive, maybe not quite on the same level as the CBX4, but considering it’s setup to drive on dirt that makes sense. I’m sure if it was setup for tarmac it would be on the same level. Difficulty is also very similar at .94.

Certainly a contender with its low purchase price and cost of tires and fuel.

@thecarlover - Solo Track BM - 2:07.6

We move onto a rear engined coupe now. It’s made completely out of aluminum with double wishbone suspension. It has a pretty aggressive stance with low boody lines and a sharp front end. The rear features a small diffuser and a low top mounted wing.

The engine is another small V6, this one being 1.8L, however it also has turbochargers which allow it to make 205hp and 193lb-ft. It’s one of the most reliable engines here, likely due to the low redline of 6500rpm caused by the mild camshaft, and slightly restrictive turbos. It uses 25.9 g/hr of regular fuel even with a richer fuel mix of 13.8:1. It does suffer front turbo lag as they don’t fully spool up until 4300rpm although I believe that was to help with the fuel economy, and luckily it isn’t very peaky when they spool so shouldn’t be a major issue.

A 7 speed manual is used that has very high gear spacing which means that there is a fairly large amount of power lost upon shifting. It also made it so the car needed a geared LSD to control the wheelspin since 1st gear is now very short. The tires cost $629 and are 215/235 in width and are a sports compound. Very slight downforce is made by the lip, wing and fully clad undertray. The stagger on the tires means that the car is extremely agile, meaning the car is prone to oversteer at the limit of grip.

On track it’s very interesting to drive with the fine tuned suspension and tires setup, and actually its very easy to drive even with the oversteer with a .87 rating.

Overall, a decent car although the tires are quite expensive, and it’s a bit too easy to drive. The gearing setup also doesn’t promote good racing as shifting becomes more important due to the large difference in power between gears.

@4LGE -Tare Zim MOSO - 2:07.65

Now we move onto a small FWD hatchback. I was wondering if someone would go with the clio cup style approach. It’s full aluminum construction with double wishbone front suspension and, surprisingly, semi trailing arm rear. Aesthetic wise it’s a very round car, from the body to the grills, as well as the headlights. It is quite a good looking car.

The engine is a very small .6L I4 with a turbocharger. It makes 179hp and 108lb-ft from the tiny engine although it’s at the cost of turbolag as it runs 26psi of boost. That also means that the economy is 37.3 g/hr since all that extra air going into the engine also means more fuel and this car uses premium fuel as well so it’s quite expensive to run. One of the most astonishing aspects of this engine is that it revs up to 12,000rpm, although the last thousand won’t be used much as the power really starts to taper off so it would’ve been better to lower the redline and improve the reliability which is currently quite low.

It uses a 5 speed manual, which doesn’t lose any power on shifting, regardless of gear, mostly due to the very high redline. Theres also an automatic locking diff although it still struggles with wheelspin. Although they are sports compound the 235 tires are not too expensive at $440 since they are a very small diameter. It does, for some strange reason, have a radio in it. I know some people like to listen to music while they race but I’m surprised for it to come in the car considering the extra weight and cost.
On track it is interesting to drive, however very challenging, with the large jump in power when the turbos spool and the wheelspin that comes as a result. It receives a 1.35 rating because of it.

So, too difficult to drive, with too much fuel costs and low engine reliability which simply doesn’t suit us, even with the $16,200 sales price.

@DoctorNarfy - Shromet Coupe - 1:57.77

Now we move onto an open wheel track car. Another all aluminum car with double wishbones all around and FR setup. The open wheels may not be the best for racing however as you can’t get side to side racing as easily. Aesthetics wise it’s very simple. A few vents on the front with some long headlights and there’s simply round taillights at the back on the side it does have side exit exhausts.

The engine is not what you would expect in a track car. It’s a massive 7.3L V8 with direct acting OHC that produces 511hp and 411lb-ft. It does use VVL, adding onto the already high weight. It’s a fairly unresponsive engine due to the low ignition timing and compression ratio as well as the sheer size of the pistons. Economy is definitely not this engines strong suit, using 110.7 g/hr of premium fuel. It uses a high flow cat, and even here it barely affects the power. That money would’ve been better spent on better headers as the current short cast are restricting it.

This car uses a 6 speed manual with very little spacing, trying to reduce the wheelspin associated with the big engine I believe. It also has a viscous diff to further help with that. It also, strangely, has 6th as an overdrive gear making it useless on track. Tires are also very expensive at $691 for the sports compound 225/255. For some reason drum brakes are used on the rear meaning that they begin to fade with track use.

For track use it is another straight line monster like the GBF Procurro although this one doesn’t suffer from the same amount of understeer. There is still some though due to the staggered tires. Again it is pretty interesting, although still not on the same level as some of the others, and its also around the right amount of difficulty for us at .90. It’s also the fastest car we’ve had.

The extremely high cost of fuel and tires alone make this car unsuitable for us.

4 Likes

lol dat power rating tho, well done @DoctorNarfy :joy:

Can you imagine a racing league with that kind of car? Might be easy to drive but in the hands of amateurs, wrecks everywhere! Would be amazing… but also very expensive.

1 Like

I’m not entirely sure he’s reviewing them in order :stuck_out_tongue: since there was one or two solid contenders in that lot.

1 Like

i’m still scared by that $700+ tires cost. also the fuel consumption is also not as good…

yup i’m not making it into the finalist this round :slight_smile:

Loving the reviews so far. Keep up the good work!:slight_smile:

Yeah the reviews are in the order that the cars are in automation, not their position.

soooooooooooo 5 reviews per day i guess

Good quality reviews, though!

Tare has a legacy to uphold :sunglasses:

I’ve also finally got the difficulty meaning. It’s basically sportiness divided by drivability, right? In that case, a sportiness 10 car would’ve been ideal if it had 10 drivability to go with it :stuck_out_tongue:
Sometimes wish traction control would basically act like, well, traction control! Effectively reducing what impact wheelspin would have on drivability.