The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

Damn it, I wanted to have the most crazy hatch

Fuck you :rage:

Yet with all that power, Iā€™m at 73 drivability. Go figure.

Yours must be heavier, plus the engine isnā€™t as stressed. Did you use the same body?

Same body but mine is NA and has bit more engine reliability, besides is there any other R-AWD hatchbody in 1996? Donā€™t think the Clio is there.

sameā€¦[quote=ā€œOrnate, post:5148, topic:6447ā€]
besides is there any other R-AWD hatchbody in 1996?
[/quote]

thereā€™s the non-Peugeot 205 a few years back

Whatā€™s the displacement of your carā€™s engine?

Just gonna say a mid engined car in Australia=huge insurance costs

Really? MR2s are sighted now-and-then up here in Darwin, thought something must be cheap (cheap as in same price as 20 year old miatas) considering the reliability issues, besides as submitted a 3.2 l V6 (Clio V6 was the inspo), I donā€™t care anymore.

Iā€™m not in it to win, just for some lols :yum:

Had a 89 mr2 insurance was around 4000! 2 door rear engined imported sports car even if it was a four banger.

now my v8 costs $582 per year.
4 doors australian delivered/made family sedan.

but this is qld and our car laws are fucked up

2 Likes

I think Iā€™m in the same position after Stropā€™s entry, time to strip out the cassette player and soft cloth, time to go to the basics and get this car weigh less than 1000 kg, also questioning whether to keep power steering, seems to hurt my sportiness and 69 is more than enough drivability.

Yeah, the car. The rego and insurance isnā€™t :joy:

I seriously had to rein in my Strop instincts and go back to basics on this one i.e. look at the popular cheap and sporting real cars of the era and think to myself whatā€™s so attractive about them? And more importantly, can a fresh P plater legally and safely drive one?

I mean weā€™re talking about people who do this:

and this

and this

and so on and so forth. So what you really should be asking is, how easy does your car make it for your pimple faced teen with no sense of consequence and zero insight into the true extent of their so-called godlike driving ability to achieve any of the above?

Just gonna say itā€¦ There was no such thing as a hoon when I grew up we can thank VN Commodores for thatā€¦which is my argument over P plate laws any v6 commodore is more than capable of 150km/h and burnout/attempts at controlled sliding but it doesnā€™t have the safety of any modern turbo car period. the whole no turbo no v8 doesnā€™t save any lives at all DRIVER EDUCATION does period!

and that poor falcon in pic threeā€¦it seems to be dry humping the magna edit: nope its a Gm Astra thats ok Ford always butt fucks Holden), you can do soo much better big Fordā€¦sooooooooo much better

interestingly the top photo is a v8 Commodoreā€¦ the second photo is a v6 commodoreā€¦ and the third picture is a v8 Falcon on top of a v6 Magnaā€¦ What does this tell you Department of Transport you Fuckwit of a camels testicle tick!

###iā€™m not sorry

iā€™m only sorry that i posted this in the wrong thread

5 Likes

It means less cylinders = safer, we need to buy more electric and import those 2-cycl Fiat 500s.

Blasphemy I will never give up my v8ā€¦unless i cant import it to France next year then I guess i will have to settle on a second hand Nobleā€¦you know just cause lifes to short to drive boring cars

Actually, itā€™s even worse.

Itā€™s dry humping a Holden Astra and from the looks of it might even be leaking some fluids! But thatā€™s what happens when youā€™re smashed off your faceā€¦:joy:

@HighOctaneLove advanced safety is still allowed right? just not that preferable?
if i have some spare budget below my target, i might just go for it

At last, Iā€™ve managed to get my entry in, however it has been quite a challenge as Iā€™m away from my main PC and am having to use a pitiful and under powered laptop that can just run Automation. This means I havenā€™t been able to get any photos of my entrant, but I can at least provide something that looks almost the same, as explained below :slight_smile:

Iā€™m entering the 1996 Erin Merna X 2.0, which has been a bit of challenge to design as itā€™s larger (and in many cases stronger) than some of the other competitors, but I think thereā€™s enough there to be interesting.

More specifically, this is the X-Tuned version of the Mk 5 Merna and was originally released in 1993. Powering it is a 2.0l SOHC i4 MPi, based off of the DOHC 2.0l i4 that powered the ErinSport BTCC version of this car and a number of other racing versions. That version, tuned to produce way more power, was able to fend off BMW 3 seriesā€™ and Vauxhall Cavaliers, so with any luck, the magic of that engine has found its way into this one.

Some stats so you can get an idea of what weā€™re talking about here: 175 hp, 0-60 in 6.8 seconds, top speed 138 mph. Sits towards the upper end for weight, coming in at 1098 kg, but itā€™s still packing a somewhat decent interior and some safety equipment (it was agreed by management that Erinā€™s ā€˜commitment to safetyā€™ could be wavered for such a vehicle). All in all, everything youā€™d expect from a 90s hot-hatch.

Price: $15990. I guess thatā€™s good value in some form?

Pictured below is the Merna Touring '92, the race version, but the looks are pretty much identical.

Hereā€™s a link to the actual Merna Touring '92 for some more background on the Merna Mk 5

Best of luck everyone, I think this is going to be a seriously good round!

7 Likes

:persevere: 3 more days to deadline this is taking too loooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggg

1 Like

Someoneā€™s got a case of Automation blue balls :joy:

That said I too really want to see all the entries side by side. Poor HOL, I have no idea how heā€™s going to pick.

6 Likes