The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

This isn’t weird at all, you’ll find this tactic used in cars all the time. Have a look at the detailed stats on the fuel consumption tab and you’ll see why: the cars undergo a standardised test including highway cruising, which means that RPM @ higher speeds is important. Obviously cars with low power compared to air resistance are not as efficient at high speeds, but this is mitigated by being able to cruise at a lower RPM. So a lot of non-sports cars have ‘overdrive’ gears, and some have more, in that the car could not possibly reach the speed of the gear, but it’s not there for that.

Wow over 100 posts to go thru wtf happened

2 Likes

wars, arguments, insults, waitings, drama,

2 Likes

K so normal automation arguing…
argumationing lol

4 Likes

oh shit son, I think you just might have built something competitive there.

no offence but normally your entries are, um, wild card

1 Like

i tried to use aluminium panels. the fuel economy would be 4.23 liters

then the safety would be below 30 and i would need to use better safety or quality sliders.

so i switched to steel panels because its cheaper that way

time to investigate older bodies, methinks…

Minerva Motor Works has a new car for the Indonesian market.

This is the Minerva Majesty. We think it’s the perfect car for every new driver, because while it’s not stylish, it’s got it where it counts.

As an American company, we believe everyone should have a V8. So we’ve given you one. Sure, it’s not a nice 400+ cubic inch monster, but you should be able to get around just fine with our 1150 cc Minerva MultiValve engine. It’s a single-overhead cam design built out of only the finest technologies from 40 years ago, which means it’s a heavy boat anchor, but it’s cheap to build. We’ve capped it off with modern technologies such as fuel injection and a catalytic converter, because we do care about the environment.

But the reason the Majesty is inexpensive is because we believe in options.

Let’s go through the list of optional equipment, shall we?
+“Luxury” interior
-CD player
-Reverse Beeper
+Limited Slip Differential
+Optional 6 speed gearbox
-Progressive Rate Springs
-Disc Brakes
-High Performance Tires
+Aerodynamic Undertray / Offroad Skidplate *Note, only one can be chosen.
+Starter Motor
-Power Windows
-Power Steering
-Power Locks
-ABS Brakes
-Traction Control
-Electronic Stability Assistance
-Air Bags
+Seat Belts
-17 inch Alloy wheels
+Dual 12 Gallon fuel tanks
+Gloss Paint
+Paint Color

######Items marked with a + are present in this model.

Now, sure, we understand that this car isn’t pretty, but we’ve worked hard to bring a touch of the United States to you. We’ve also worked hard to make this car even more fuel efficient than really necessary, so that the high price paid to get into it is offset by how well it does at sipping fuel.

We’ve tuned the V8 to the tune of 60 MPG in this model. So how far can you go? 720 miles on a single tank. For the metrically-minded, that’s 1158 kilometers. Why did we do this? Fueling up is a pain in the ass. It’s expensive, there’s always a line, and the weather always turns to crap whenever you need to get gas. Which is why this model here has two gas tanks. Just think about it: 1440 miles between fill-ups. 2317 kilometers.

The Majesty seats 5 in relative comfort because we care about you when you’re driving.

Now, let’s talk stats. 0-60 MPH in less than 20 seconds. 51.1/48.9 weight distribution. Less than 1000 KG of weight. Higher than 100 MPH top speed. Okay, so it’s not a sports car, but it should do well at getting people from point A to point B with relative ease.

Now, I know the two burning questions you’re dying to ask.

The first is obviously price, and it’s expensive at $10,800. But think of all the money you’ll save at the pump.

The second is going to be “Why the fuck did you paint the display model purple!?”

Because we felt like it. And because purple has long been held as a color associated with royalty. And thereby, with a name like Majesty, what color would you have painted the display model?

Minerva Motor Works - The Wise Choice.

12 Likes

you magnificent bastard, what is that I don’t even :joy:

4 Likes

That is my wild-card entry for this round. The result of me playing around with building shitboxes for a couple weeks and finally being able to build one.

well i have a 750cc 3 pot with 60hp and literal buckets for seats… yea…

I guess most cars will have “literal buckets”.

okay. i had a brain fart and left several things behind.

as i think this is just one of those sensible things that can be changed

can i assume that you guys will let me edit this couple of rules in?

• Regular Fuel only
  • Cats are required
  • mufflers are actually not required, but will get you a lot of minus points for not being desirable

and few more things that i meant but forgot to put on.

##Want to ask if i can still shoehorn it in

(and if i can, i’m sorry to all the 4 guys already sent it in (boy that was way quicker than i thought)).

i was meaning to make this a 2013. just the trim and engine variant at least. the rule was finalised in 2012, but cars came out in late 2013 just like irl

while the rule comes out as if it’s another min-maxing rounds, there will actually barely any maths going on behind the scenes, as long as the minimum requirements are met, one thing that sticks out can actually cover for the other thing it lacks.

think lore rather than min-maxing.
ie, if a car is shit to drive, but has huge boot and can carry 7 people, the buyers may very well be willing to compromise a lot of that drivability. or the car is small, still not so driveable, but is either super economic or super cheap, people will also think twice. as it is an entry level class after all, compromises WILL exists. but also sensibility WILL matter. a super beefed up and amazing v12 car WILL NOT win because of social stigma of v12 reputation, fear of it being unreliable although that may not be based on anything, but only social stigma.

okay i will be adding this to the original post

10 Likes

Well, I’m fine with adding in the things you mentioned, actually. Just that I can’t speak for everyone regarding the 2012 / 2013 thing. Personally, I don’t care one way or the other, a shitbox is a shitbox, regardless of the year it’s built in.

1 Like

Yeah, no problem for me. I assumed that Indonesia will rather REQUIRE regular fuel, and that cats are necessary for Euro norm, even if it’s just Euro 2. And as my car might have some not necessarily perfect for stats decision, lore over min-maxing is what I like :smile: And also because of that I doubt that this one year changes much.

no. no. bad koolkei, you can’t accept entries and then change rule and pm people to revise their car

@strop help

I agree with allowing the challenge to be “tweaked” for clarity and, besides, I haven’t started my car yet so who cares! :smiley:

@lordvader1 - Really?

3 Likes

Give it up man - we’ve just got back on track, don’t try and start something else over another simple mistake.

12 Likes

I must be doing something very wrong because I am struggling to get 50 UK mpg out of a 850cc 4 cylinder which weighs around 650kg. :disappointed_relieved:

Edit: I have cracked 50mpg

2 Likes