The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

Here is a designer after my own heart, but not my brain :laughing:

4 Likes

Bring on the v10ā€™s and 60/90 degree enginesā€¦coming soon DSD 6.0 centrifugal supercharged v10

4 Likes

Do you want a review? donā€™t be silly and send a V12. Hosts really donā€™t like it if you break rulesā€¦

5 Likes

Are we using regular unleaded or premium? only asking because in the UK you canā€™t get petrol any lower than 95 octane (as far as Iā€™m aware of) and Iā€™m sure it was the same in 1998 (please correct me if Iā€™m wrong though)

2 Likes

hahahaahah 5.3L v8 Biatches

1 Like

damn, youā€™ve got almost around 50% more power than me but only weigh 100kg moreā€¦

donā€™t want to jinx myself but I want to know how Iā€™m doing since this seems to be the first serious round Iā€™ll be participating in, so how does this look?

Really want to do goodā€¦

2 Likes

Ur ahead of me on everything but prestige and practicality and safety and comfortā€¦i think, but i also have a v8 and found strangly that a cp gives slightly better stats than a fp. I really wanted to do a fwd v8 but couldnt get the economy with sacrificing the interior plus a 220hp v8 isnt going to cut it. Oh a feck vvl is not worth it and i am useing a fairly early body style 1980ā€™s or just barely 90ā€™s small bodyā€¦another edit can I plus one for whether we have to use 91 as the lowest octane or whether 95 is the minimum cause that means more economy for me

I take it we are going to be designing something along the lines of a Mercedes C class or a Volvo S-70. Rather than a M3 or Impreza.

5 Likes

For what I could see thereā€™ll be hard to use a N/A I6. Maybe Iā€™ll us a V8, since I suck at turbo tunning.

I spent several hours trying many different combinations of suspension types, engine configurations, and trim options to find the ones that worked best for me. At first I tried a straight-four (with VVT but no VVL, and running on 91RON regular unleaded on the assumption that this fuel type would be mandatory) in a FWD chassis with struts up front and a torsion beam at the rear, but couldnā€™t bring myself to submit my car in that state; I felt I was sacrificing too much for the sake of economy, simplicity and affordability.

Then I tried a straight-six (now with VVL, but otherwise mostly unchanged) powering the rear wheels, and fitted semi-trailing arm rear suspension, but despite still remaining under the economy, engineering time and cost limits, I still wasnā€™t satisfied with the sportiness of my entry, and upgraded to double wishbones all around (a multilink rear would have put me over budget in terms of engineering time). After removing some unneeded trim options, my car still meets all the requirements, but I reckon Iā€™ll need to do some further optimization before I am certain my car is ready. I managed to get the sportiness rating up to the low-30s, thoughā€¦

And now that the host recommends 95RON premium unleaded, Iā€™ll just have to crank up the compression ratio on my straight-six and adjust the cam profiles accordingly. At least it will be even more economical than it is nowā€¦

For an engine? Trim? Both?

Yes. I forgot to write, but you should all use premium unleaded 95 RON fuel.

I keep forgetting that the final number isnā€™t the sum of both the engine and trim values. I put that restriction in place to effectively ban V12 cars. EDIT: Engine PU and engineering time have to be under 80. Should be plenty if you go sensible.

In between those, Koolkei. The car has to be excellently styled, super efficient and quite cheap for me to not scrap it immediately.

Thatā€™s what I was aiming for, but right now, Iā€™m not sure automation adds the engineering time of the car and the engine. I just hope it does. EDIT: Said I wouldnā€™t change the rules and I just did. 80 limit on engine PU and engineering time.[quote=ā€œAirJordan, post:5982, topic:6447ā€]
For an engine? Trim? Both?
[/quote]

I put those limits in place considering the trim value, so weā€™ll go along with that.
EDIT: Engine production units and engineering time have to be under 80.

For the people making turbocharged V8s, I have to remind you. I won the last round with a 7-seater 1.2 69 hp SUV.

Another edit: Styling matters a lot. Our customer here wants people to look at his car on the company car park and think he is important and prestigious. But it still canā€™t outshine the bossā€™ car. Nailing that styling sweetspot of elegance and prestige will count massively towards the final result.

9 Likes

Uh, yeah sorry Leo, forgot to mention: the engineering time and production units for engine and trim are calculated separately because theyā€™re considered separate (concomitant) processes in your factory, which kind of makes sense given that youā€™re allowed to farm out engine and engine variants to different trims as well as different models entirely (if your companyā€™s into that kind of thing), in the tycoon mode.

The easiest way to fix this is to say that the time applies to both trim AND engine, which I feel is fair and realistic. The amount of time taken to design the entire car is only the higher of the two numbers.

4 Likes

For Sale: Cordia Aspero 24 (1998) Ā£1,250
2.4 engine litre, 89k mileage, 140bhp, petrol fuel, manual gearbox.

Jan 2018 MOT. 2 owners. Starts good. Runs great. Drives excellent. 24 model Loaded with options, climate control, heater, electric, leather seats, electronically adjustable steering column, colour coordinated bumpers, central locking, electric windows, electric sunshine roof, foglamps, 6 disc cd autochanger, electric mirrors, electronic stability control, heater, traction control, 6 airbags, electric power steering, 8 speakers, heated front, side, back windscreen, 15 inch alloys. 2.4 litre motor. NOT A JAP IMPORT. Immaculate. 1,250 ONO.

6 Likes

conan, are you sure you quite read the brief in full? The round is still set in 1998 so the car is supposed to be advertised brand new!

2 Likes

Advertising the car as brand new is coming later. No one is advertising their car yet.

Yes, I checked my test cars and I will set a limit for PU and engineering time for the engine. Both numbers have to be under 80.
To sum it up, engine production units and engineering time have to be under 80, car engineering time under 60, car production units under 100. Sorry for the confusion, but if you were making a sensible car, you should be well below those limits anyway.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been having a lot of fun building my car for this. Itā€™s a bit of a wild-card, but itā€™s a sensible wildcard. A nice V6.

1 Like

Who said anything about turbo v8ā€™sā€¦NA all the way

1 Like

I wanted a n/a inline-6, but hell, is hard to make this thing economical AND with enough power.

1 Like