The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

too slow and boring i recon?

1 Like

To be honest, besides being boring with average stats, I didn’t like the looks of it, so I decided to make a bit of a joke about them. Hope you don’t mind it :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Binned… for being too good? :stuck_out_tongue:

Your car was really good, as was Der Bayer’s. Sadly both of you, and adam, and several others in fact, failed on my self-implemented rule of not accepting semi-active sway bars at all. I put that under the “being sensible” rule.
No executive sedan has them even today, let alone in 1998. Adaptive dampers would be borderline, as several cars of that class have had it for 10 years now.

3 Likes

Why don’t real-life executive sedans use semi-active/active sway bars today? Automation makes them seem like the best thing ever. (Active sway bars are standard in every Adenine, even the $15500 Cadence!)

Edit: According to Wikipedia, BMW has had an active sway bar system since 2001, Lexus since 2007, and the first one was a Citroen Xantia Activa in 1994. Currently BMW, Lexus, Mercedes, and Porsche all have some form of active anti-roll in their sedans.

6 Likes

Or, as the case may be, spec their launch cars correctly. We spoke to Lead Quality Control Officer Michael Busting to find out more.

“Well ah must say, sometimes we make right good decisions and others we get caught up int’moment and bugger it right up, like that time we sent out a load of carburettors wi’ shit in 'em. Ooever printed these brochures based on prototype specs needs some new specs! Could be worse I s’pose, we could have let slip some Seventy Fives with Fiat engines or summat so terrible.”

(For the last bit of that to make sense, in the later years of the Rover 75s production BMW were asking more and more for their engines, Rover went elsewhere to test new engines and somewhere along the line, accidentally sold 2 75s to the public with Fiat engines fitted)

12 Likes

And you see, I wasn’t able to resist, as is surely is the case with others. My first three tries literally ended up with a fat and ungainly 328i but then in the end I went even more extreme with trying to squeeze effectively an Audi S4/S6 (somewhere in between) into the budget, so here I am now :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

You kind of prove my argument about them not being reliable. Also, all the other applications you mentioned are on high-end sedans, not the lower end cars we are talking about.

3 Likes

Perhaps I should stick to cheap and sporty cars. Adding fancy interiors compromises driving dynamics too much for my liking.

it stays

good, good :smiling_imp: sportines does pay off…

Including a disqualifier and not disclosing it is just incredibly scummy. It goes against the guidelines pinned to the Community Challenge section. Having an equally arbitrary qualifier like no turbos or no limited-production aluminum bodies would be as much of a gotcha to the users that tried to integrate those. I wouldn’t mind a bad or mid-pack finish, but all I learned from this is don’t waste your time.

Fairly certain you forgot to name your car on the export, which counts as an automatic disqualification.

1 Like

He stated that he was looking for SENSIBLE cars. As he also stated, active suspension components were not common back then, especially considering that the aim of the challenge was to build lower end executive cars (like 318s and such) so using active components is/was not a sensible thing to do.

You didn’t name your car and you made it look like a 2008 car. I said on the post to make the cars sensible and semi-active doesn’t fit my idea of sensible. The CSR has scope for emotional decisions like those, if you want to mix-max the in game stats, you can have a go at the King of the Hill challenge.

2 Likes

That just illustrates my point that poorly-defined terminology was used here. There are plenty of instances where the game departs from direct real-world analogues, and that was never a criteria included in the first place. The finished car has decent (not great) reliability and practicality scores. Are those suddenly outside the scope of ‘sensible’?

1 Like

Regardless of all that, it wasn’t named (which was a clear rule). Sensibility goes beyond just the final stats, it’s about how you get there. A 2.4L V12 could have given good stats by the end, but that’s not a sensible choice.

Sensible means making something that could exist in the real world and wouldn’t seem out of place.

How was it poorly defined terminology? And, if it was so poorly defined, why did multiple other people manage to make a sensible car just fine?

Right from the off, I never thought about using semi-active suspension components at all, because I had a hunch that they didn’t seem sensible enough (which they weren’t). Anyway, the latest set of reviews have really hit the mark!

The CSR has this all the time. The idea is to allow people the maximum room for creativity with the understanding that if you stretch the rules too far then you’ll fail. Maybe you should have read from the original OP then you might have grasped that the CSR is different to the usual competitions held on this forum! :grin:

2 Likes

Too boring? Shit! Sei cars aren’t exactly known for their visual identity, but for it to play so badly against me… I too also feel like I wasted my time trying to make the car competent!

(Also for some reason higher spec wheels increases engineering time, I was right at the limit so I had to use the goddamn steelies LOL I wanted at least alloys…)

1 Like