The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

Oh, damn. No idea why I assumed so, sorry. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™m going to guess ā€œhas a wolf in the logoā€ (not specific but can be contextually suggestive), and is one of the best at building muscle type cars :stuck_out_tongue:

At this stage it seems the only thing that we can sort of agree on is that contestants specify whether they think they can host the next round if they should win (not saying is assumed to mean ā€˜noā€™), this should not be prejudicial but should help the host compile a list of potential hosts. So it becomes an opt out thing.

Thatā€™s not much of a solution and I know some of you even disagree with this, but at this stage, the spectrum of opinions cover one end to its polar opposite, so Iā€™m just going to have to think about it some more.

3 Likes

put your foot down manā€¦ top ten cars get a review cars outside of that ten get a short response why they are outside the tenā€¦Contestants must specify if they can host (which may affect the final ten). Contestants must place an add for the vehicle here describing the vehicle with picturesā€¦my 2 centsā€¦Now Iā€™m out

5 Likes

I donā€™t know, but for me, it does make a difference between arriving first or second. Competitions and rankings are made to be won, Im too competitive do believe in the ā€œwhat matters is taking partā€ thing. If I know beforehand that no matter how good what I am doing is, I canā€™t win, then the competition loses the point of existing.

What I agree with in topic ā€œwhat nextā€

I would add: simply extend the review time. One week for entries, another for reviews.

To specify in advance if I could host would not make much sense to me because my schedule is changing a lot and maybe one day it looks like next week is going to be 24/7 work and it clears up quickly (thatā€™s waht happend this week with king of the hill) or vice versa.

5 Likes

hereā€™s to the end of this round. A bit of a rushed job, without much inspiration, partially due to some of the ideas being thrown around regarding the future of this challenge.
Yes, I got the images on the wrong tab, sorry for the white edges.

He had a nice round 10 cars to play with, so what did he do? Obviously, he got nit-picking yet again to boil it down further.

#First of the 10 to go is the GSI Paradigm @oppositelock.

It certainly doesnā€™t change any paradigm in car design. Its huge eyes are quite scary and it looks to plain to cut it in the company car park.

#9th - Sei Executive @strop

#8th - Erin Tauga @DeusExMackia

#7th - Smooth Jabardo @AirJordan

######The carā€™s grille didnā€™t work in the game for me at all, so I used the photo sent on the PM.
Next to go were the Sei Executive, Erin Tauga and Smooth Jabardo. They are all good cars, but fail on the realism stakes. Aluminium panels and double wishbone suspension all-round work really well in automation, but in real life tooling costs would be insane, engineering times even longer and the space it would steal on the boot, unacceptable for a mid-size saloon. They passed the first cut, but none of them is going to win.

#6th - Griffa Sirion @szafirowy01

Unlike the GSI, the Griffa Sirion actually excels on the company car park. 3-metre-long wheelbase, AWD, 300 hp, good looks. The problem is, it is too expensive, too thirsty, and it simply is too big and powerful. The bosses wouldnā€™t be happy to be outshined and out-dragged.

The final 5 cars were really good and really well made. All of them are exceptional cars and would be great buys. Interestingly, none of them used mulitlink rear suspension.

#5th - Rennen Angeles @titleguy1

The Rennen Angeles is a good all-rounder, it didnā€™t put its foot wrong, but then, it didnā€™t excel in anything either. The styling is the most boring out of the top 5, fuel economy is subpar at 37 mpg. However, the Rennen has had a special attention to detail when it came to its radio and safety gear, but neither is top class, only having standard features.
Verdict: It needs a couple of peppers to be shoved onto its exhaust pipes.

#4th - CM Regina @thecarlover

The Regina is an interesting car to look at, especially from the rear, angle chosen for the photo because it clearly is the highlight of the car. The front isnā€™t quite as successful, but at least it is distinctive. The Regina is very similar to the Rennen in its construction, but edges out on the numbers, being slightly faster, 7.1 s to 62, and slightly more economical, at 38.3 mpg, which meant it just edged out to come 4th.
Verdict: French designed, reproduced by the colonies.

#3rd - Iurlaro Caterina @NormanVauxhall

Supposedly from Italy, the Caterina seems to have been designed by the Japanese, such is the aggressiveness on the design, something that would suit better the sporty brand from their group, BMMA. Angry headlights, bulges on the bonnet, lip spoilers front and rear all make for the Iurlaro to look as it would be a fire-breather. However, with only 150 hp, it isnā€™t quite as fast as the other rivals, and fuel eco is pretty bad as well, at 37 mpg. What brings it to 3rd, however, is the advanced radio and the second airbag fitted as standard, giving an extra level of comfort and safety to the occupants.
Verdict: If only this had been a BMMA, with a manual box for better efficiency, speed and handlingā€¦

#2nd - AM260 @ramthecowy

The AM260, called so because of the 2.5 inline 6 engine under the bonnet (go figure, but hey, at least itā€™s not called the superfast), is the only car on the top 5 to have come with AWD. That, combined with the 200 hp engine, means the car does 0-62 in 6.9s and the top speed is a massive 156 mph. Yet, fuel economy still is 47 mpg. Such incredible figures have really propelled the AM to second place, and the fight with the Seishido was tough. In the end, it lost out due to cheaper safety and entertainment options.

#And the winner: the Seishido Eccelsa @EnryGT5

Here is our winner, the Seishido Eccelsa. It is FWD. It has an all steel chassis and body. It has a 6-speed manual gearbox. The rear suspension has semi-trailing arms. Despite, or perhaps because of, all those choices, the Seishido is the best all-rounder of the challenge. Sure, it was the slowest car of the top 5, taking 10 seconds flat to 62 and getting up to just 129 mph flat out, but those figures are good enough for a country with a 70 mph speed limit on the motorways. And that is its natural habitat, the Eccelsa excels in cosseting its driver. From the leather seats, advanced CD player with a speaker in each door, to provide a fuller, richer experience, all the way to the standard fit twin airbags, the entire car seems to have been made to deliver peace of mind to the owner. However, despite the FWD layout, the car is well sorted and handles well. Besides, it looks fantastic, with the perfect blend of sportiness and elegance for our middle manages who wants to pass the right image to the world. After all the bother from work, he can sit in his new japanese saloon and marvel. Maybe life is not so bad after all. He even ordered his in Midnight Purple, as pictured.

Phew, that was a lot of work. Congratulations to @EnryGT5 for making the best car and thanks to everyone who sent their cars. I might have seemed a bit harsh on the ā€œbinningā€ of cars, but the average level was so high that a lot of nit-picking was required to select among them.

20 Likes

That was the biggest and best round ever, and I am not exaggerating - the quality of the field, especially the top 5, is incredibly high! And congratulations to @EnryGT5 for another well-deserved win - by building a comfortable, cosseting freeway cruiser that somehow reminds me of a contemporary Accord or Corona. However, the last time he hosted a round, he was somehow unable to finish it. Letā€™s hope that doesnā€™t happen if he hosts the next roundā€¦

1 Like

Youā€™re right, I had instant hindsight regret after I sent my car in because what kind of lower executive car has all aluminium panels??? The only company I know that fits that description (sort of) in real life may be Jaguar.

I probably should actually read up on manufacturing processes in Norway to see if itā€™s even possible before using Sei again.

As per current rules since we have a top 10, weā€™ll see if Enry can even host first. Then weā€™ll go down the list.

Thereā€™s been no further input on refining the hosting rules but I must decide on this today, so I will change OP and see how things go. If it falls to pieces, we can always adjust the rules.

EDIT: OP has been updated. The major changes have been summarised in a quote box. Iā€™ve written the rules based on a principle of ā€œreasonable onusā€: this will increase the burden of diligence when submitting as well as when writing the rules of the round, but Iā€™ve tried to balance out the extra expectations on both Round Master and user.

In particular, the point about ā€œlimiting number of reviewsā€ may be contentious. I have opted against allowing hard limitations on number of entries as this will artificially distort the field in undesirable ways. However I have allowed the host to declare that they will limit the number of reviews so long as they do so early on, so nobody is caught by surprise. I acknowledge that how one approaches each set of reviews does depend on the field but since we regularly get at least 3 dozen entries per week, I daresay this would be overall in the best interests of keeping things running smoothly.

5 Likes

#FOK

This is the third time Iā€™ve finished 2nd.
FML.

2 Likes

Youā€™re still a couple of 2nd places away from me :grin:

3 Likes

you know something is not right when someone pics a FWD over a RWD car

To put it bluntly: what a load of rubbish!

I mean there are a lot of really shit RWD cars out there. So why not pick a good FWD one over a not so good RWD one?

5 Likes

could i have some examples please :smiley:
every rwd car is a potential drift car if you try it hard enough

this is a suicidal junior executive weā€™re talking about here, who wants a relaxing drive, not a drift car

This is too easy. Just take your pick from about half the BMW range in the last 20 years. Some of them are fantastic. But many of them are so terrible on so many fronts.

1 Like

V6 commodore. Mitsubishi sigma. Suzuki tiny arse van thingsā€¦ many rwd completly useless cars

1 Like

this thing too, made until 2012

Donā€™t say bad things about the Lada! Itā€™s a great base car! :triumph:

1 Like

my father had one, it rusted away

Fantastic round @Leonardo9613 and big congratulations to @EnryGT5! Even getting into the top 10 in this massive round is surely an achievement, so to come out on top in such form is worthy of its own accolade.

Meanwhile, Erin (back in 1998, this is) need to go back to the drawing board and rework that rear suspension. Forgot about the impact double wishbones had on boot spaceā€¦

Just want to highlight this: my companyā€™s lore clashes with this significantly. How much more expensive is it to use aluminium in car production? It doesnā€™t seem to make that much of a difference in game, which is why I developed my lore around that.

I thought that was usually a good thingā€¦ :smirk:
But n a serious note: Are we going to see more of this ā€˜AMā€™ company?

@lordvader1 Good lord, I can see the panel gaps even from here!

5 Likes