The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

I think the Gamma Suri that was presented in 2017 Detroit Auto Show would be a good choice for this round.

ooo crossovers, i started making a lineup of them, so i’ll be having a go at this then :wink:

2 Likes

i’m gonna approach this VERY laterally.

Since I suck at crossovers and I do indeed hate them, I’m going to approach them as simply and sensibly as possible :joy: (hahar, wasn’t expecting that were you!)

1 Like

10 Likes

91 OCTANE IN 2017?

1 Like

Um… Yes? We still do that.

2 Likes

Well, America.

2 Likes

In Australia you can still find 91 octane in most towns and cities, even if you’re far away from the state or territorial capitals. Now I have to ask myself: should I go with 6 cylinders, or stay with a four-banger, especially when the engineering time and production unit limits are taken into account?

Let’s just say I have a grand plan, it works, and this is going to be one hell of a wild-card.

So the comfortable off of paved roads…

Are we talking maintained dirt roads, rough dirt roads, 2 track forest roads, or worse?

If you consider the average crossover owner, I would say “parking with two tyres on the neighbour’s nature strip” :joy:

11 Likes

I’m using the assumption that AWD and decent ground clearance is enough. After all, I don’t know of any crossover with proper 4x4 system.

2 Likes

It depends on what you classify as a crossover, it gets kind of fuzzy at times. By many standards the Jeep Cherokee, and Jeep Renegade are crossovers with a monocoque frame and both still have, or had a proper 4x4 system.

@strop Here we call that a lawn

1 Like

I went for “Comfortable enough to make a shortcut out of the mall” as my standard. You know, hop the curb, crawl through some grass, hop the other curb, and be able to make it away from the evidence that some hooligan drove through the thin-green-strip of nature at the mall.

4 Likes

Yeah “nature strip” is quite the 'strayan thing:

https://www.google.com.au/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=nature+strip

Because frequently in Australian road and property layout, it’s literally a strip. Things we refer to as “lawn” are rather much larger and broader, and generally taken to mean “decently to large sized area of kept grass +/- some garden features”, and stuff you can’t fit between the fence, pavement and the road.

1 Like

Agreed, if you go by the definition that a crossover is any unibody SUV, then technically the Jeep XJ is a crossover (those frame rails are what AMC called uniframe) and those did have a full “true” 4X4 system, and even as you said with the Renegade, though i’d say that’d a tad iffy since it’s basically the AWD system from a Fiat 500X with the full time transfer case replaced with an electronically selectable one, and while i was never able to confirm this, i heard it only has off and on, which to some people isn’t a “true” transfer case due to lacking high and low ranges

In some areas we have something similar called an easement, you technically own it, but the city and/or utilities have technical control over it and you are responsible for maintaining it.

1 Like

1 Thing to Keep in Mind with Crossovers & Offroad:

Crossovers are typically designed for only light off-road capability, if any at all.

so Just Because Jeep Makes Crossovers (Compass, Patriot (Mitsubishi GS Platform) & the Newest Cherokee (2013+)(Fiat Compact platform)) Doesn’t mean “Lift & Rockclimb Bro, Cause Jeep!”

Another Thing to keep in Mind:

Crossovers are offered with front wheel drive, rear wheel drive or all-wheel drive configurations

So It don’t have to be 4x4/AWD, FWD is OK also.

well, it’s ok, sure, but I think everybody here is trying to feel out the competition in a market where we use sandbox to deliver products that are frequently more optimised than real world. If we can correctly gauge how much offroad is a priority compared to, say, price, performance etc. then that will definitely influence our decisions re: drivetrain, suspension and accessories.