The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

Im pretty sure automation cost is in modern money. The reason older cars cost less is because the technology was cheaper back then compared to today. Most old cars in automation would be drastically over priced if the cost shown included inflation.

@rcracer11m You’re definetley right with the cheaper costs of building back then, but it still doesn’t seem quite right. An E-Type Jaguar cost ~£3000 when new in 1961, but I seriously doubt they could have afforded to build a full luxury GT car for that money.

##Update:
Ok, that’s all been updated. I’ve changed the depreciation calculations be from 2026, as that’s when I’ll be buying the car.

Because the inflation calculator does not go beyond 2016, we’ll just have to use that value and assume there is no economic change at all worldwide for the next decade… :stuck_out_tongue:

The average price of a new car in 1940 was about $850, if you can make a car in automation that costs that little then I’ll agree the values in game are adjusted for the cost at the time of production.

@rcracer11m …hmmm. Ok, I shall make things easier then and remove the need for the inflation adjuster. This will be the final change I make to calculations.

I have to stop building the cars immediately :stuck_out_tongue:

@asdren You have to stop? But whhhhyyyyyyy??? :laughing:

@DeusExMackia What i mean is, i have to stop starting to build my cars immediately after the rules are announced and give the rules some time :smiley:

The car i build was from 2006, after the adjustment the price rose up. Now I adjusted the year to 2010, its fine now, though the looks now are dated for a 2010 car :smiley:

Ah I see. Apologies. No more changes from now, everything is locked in.

@DeusExMackia Just to get in the correct mindset for the challange :point_up: it must be like, an original design from a small car manufacturer, or a restomodo, or a slightly tune up production car?

Oh don’t worry :smiley: it’s fine.

@Sillyworld That’s really up for you. People bring all sorts to track days, from BMW M3’s to KTM Crossbows to old tuned 911s, so I don’t mind what it is, but make sure to give it some back story to explain why it was made etc…

So do we still use the same depreciation calculator? Or does it need to be updated for 2026?

@Phale Yep, same calculator, but redownload it to update it. Both the Google Drive and Excel versions are up to date.

Let me open the “track day bro” season :smiley:
glossary: fancy words (what does it mean)

Smooth GR-N

Straight forward approach to trackdays. Pure driving experience with LMP inspired tech such as full pushrod suspension tuned in synch with aero.
(no terminal oversteer, more drive than sport curve and much, much G-forces in all directions)

Hi quality, light V6 with approachable power curve is capable of delivering super-car trashing performance while staying reliable and efficient.
(0-62 in 3.6s, 200mph, sweet ass curve for high revving NA and almost 25 mpg on your way home)

Low weight and direct sequential transmission will add to the pristine feeling of a true race car.
(Too fast for manual and DCT would be crime… and track day bro)

Compact road legal LMP racer in clasic British Racing green for 18500 £.
(It’s a steal!)

3 Likes

Presenting a 2003 Petoskey Montauk RTX. That’s right, you read that correctly. For the first time in over thirty years, the RTX namesake returns! Shred em up on the track and look good while doing it too!

Despite the unusual tail light configuration, the Montauk sold well among consumers. The aggressive styling denotes a “Bad Boy” personality. As we all know, any car that makes people think the driver is up to no good is instantly cool. With a style like this, it’s no wonder it was the car of choice for the villain in the action movie Thundercrash*. I would say this design has aged well, let me walk you through the finer points.

A standard cloth interior doesn’t scream anything particularly special, however, while plain it still offers decent comfort. Plus a CD/cassette radio comes standard.

The Montauk RTX uses the 301 TriForce engine introduced eleven years ago. However, this version has been updated with the latest in Variable Valve Timing and VVL capability. This means the engine offers excellent functionality across the RPM range. The performance upgrades also make the engine good for 362 hp @ 6300 RPM.

Power from the engine travels through a six-speed manual to MAXXTRAC** Differential to the ground. Also featured is the new Petoskey Motors DRIVESAFE package. This includes ABS, Electronic Stability Control and Traction Control. Each function can be easily disabled by the flick of a switch. That’s right, no cycling the key, or pumping the pedal an unnecessary amount of times. Just flip the toggle switch on or off.

Probably one of the biggest appeals of the Montauk RTX is the price. And that has not changed to this day. You had this car on a poster in your bedroom, now have it in your garage. For only 10,082

*The movie “Thundercrash” is entirely fictional… unless I haven’t been paying much attention. In that case I do not base this off anything that really exists.

** MAXXTRAC is a trademark of Petoskey Motors ZLC.

2 Likes

Is it normal for the calculator’s depreciation to be positive, so for the car to gain value over time? Seems to be linked with a high prestige score.

Looks that way, I just tested it on my ultra-rare sports car from 1945. The price went up from $417,365 to $7,400,263. That’s with a prestige of 65.

god am i so tempted to make a smart car for this.

@thecarlover and @BobLoblaw : Yep, it will go up in value after a while!

Thanks for the first submissions guys, I’ve only just got up but I’ll be looking at them this evening.

@DeusExMackia This depreciation calculation thing has me stumped… :confounded:

Does my car have to cost ~20k in 2026 or is the 2026 figure what the car would be worth if the car was built in 2026?

The reason I ask is that whenever I make any car prior to 2016 to the 19k rule then its much more expensive in 2026 than the 19k limit. This penalises old cars and basically forces is to build 2016 cars in 2016 bodies because the safety value is so high!

Please shed some light on this as I’m struggling to build something worthy of this challenge! :worried:

EDIT: My depreciation calculator is now actually depreciating stuff (it was increasing the price before, when I wrote this post) so I’m now all good and sorted out, :sweat_smile: