The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

@nerd Isn’t that hard to achieve, you only need to drop some pounds :slight_smile:

So you’re looking for an affordable track car…

Look no further than the 2012 Solo Hare SSM, which retailed for 22,140 when new. You can get this beautiful example in perfect condition (in no small part due to the aluminium body) for only for 18,329. Get it cheap before it becomes a classic.

What you get for this price is a track-oriented mid-engined sports car. The SSM models are the sportiest of the Solo lineup, and where the Hare SM was a sporty road car, the Hare SSM is a sporty track car. It’s powered by a 2.6L turbocharged V6 making 381 hp and 337 ft-lb of torque, revving up to 7000 RPM but maintaining a reliability rating of 70. The engine family was first used in the 2002 Hare, so it had a decade to prove its reliability, and this means that a lot of the basic parts of quite readily available at a decent price. This engine is mated to a 6 speed double clutch sequential transmission powering the rear wheels. These are 19" alloys with thin sport compound tyres, vented disc brakes, and double wishbone suspension. So this car is street legal, and with the interior, you could use it quite frequently…
After opening the butterfly doors, you find a high quality basic interior (for weight reduction) with standard infotainment and standard safety. You’re not going back to the stone age with the stock stereo, so no need to invest in a replacement unit.
The air suspension offers a good balance between driving dynamics and driver comfort at a fair price, since this is an entry level model. The active wing is great for the track and is a rare find on such a cheap car. 0-62 is done in 3.9 seconds and the top speed is just over 190 mph, which is quite astonishing for this price point

We hope this used Solo Hare SSM is what you’re looking for as a track toy, as that’s what it was designed to be. Should you take it around the Top Gear test track, you’ll find that it can make it around in 1:18.22, slightly faster than the Bugatti Veyron 16.4. Where the previous generations are now considered classics and have increased in value, this 2012 model is still recent enough to be had at a very reasonable price. Give it a few years and you could likely sell it at a profit for yourself, that is, unless you love it too much to part with it.

4 Likes

The Americar V8 662-RS

Unleash 662 cubic inches of American glory! (That’s 10.8l for those using the metric system)
The Americar V8 also comes in a smaller 6.0l and 8.0l V8 configuration, but who wants that? You want the full 662 ci!
Utilizing the dependable and proven OHV head configuration (No it’s not MOHV) Can I say POWER?
This has 623 hp, so less power than cubic inches, but it’s okay since it makes 722 ft-lbs of torque.
We don’t know what a corner is, but we’ve packed on semi-slick tires so that should do the job.
We use an interior using plastics of such low quality that you will vomit. Oh, and 225 mph top speed.
All for just for a price of $18852 used!

1 Like

Ooh! Three new submissions, many thanks one and all! I shall go through these tomorrow.

Good morning mate, I heard you’re looking for a track car, so I though I’ll stop by and show you my babe. Meet my Riane GT.

She’s a kit-car that I bought back in 2009, it took me a few months to ensamble her together, but the result was pretty cool. And after that I change a few things, like some new body panels with different design and more safety equipment and electronics (like traction control). The original engine was a Mastiff 5.8L V8, but I did some tweaks to get extra horsepower from it. Yeah, I spend more time with the looks than with the engine.
My wife is making me sell her, she says it’s creepy for me to call a car like a she. Anyways, you should try her out, and see if you like her. And if you do, I’m willing to let her go for $19,852 :sunglasses: (the car, not my wife)
Oh, and don’t worry for the build, I worked for several years as an engineer in Meliora Automotive, so I wasn’t hitting rocks together when I build her.

2 Likes

Reviews done for this evening, we’re at 12 submissions! :smiley:

1 Like

Presenting the 2011 Adenine Mist.

Since its inception in the 80s, the Adenine Mist has always followed the same formula: an affordable, mid-engined sports car with a strong emphasis on light weight and excellent handling. In Base trim, it boasted class-leading fuel economy and cornering bliss. In Sport trim, it became a speed demon, with powerful engines delivering swift acceleration and exhilarating performance.

This 2011 model is no different. It’s the Sport version, of course, and it’s been fully kitted out for the optimum track day experience. It’s powered by an Inline Designs 1.9L I4, which produces 391hp despite its diminutive size. That’s a remarkable 200hp/liter! The engine is connected to a six-speed DCT and geared LSD which accelerate the car from 0-60 in just 3.6 seconds. Vented disc brakes do the reverse in under 30m without breaking your neck while doing so. The car also features an active wing which balances 120kg of rear downforce with a top speed of 175mph. It’s a track car through and through, and it’s proven itself with a Green Hell laptime of 7:38, an astoundingly quick time for its price.

Inside the car, you’ll find a standard interior with generous room for two, and a basic CD system with all of the latest driver assists. The pushrod suspension front and rear is tuned for the track but won’t break your back going over a bump. With a respectable fuel economy of 22mpg-US, you’ll be able to enjoy the Mist’s handling and performance just as much when driving around town as you will on the track.

Adenine has always been about delivering the most value for your money, and this 2011 Mist is no exception. 15 years later, it’s as good as new and it’s yours for only £19011.

4 Likes

So. You need a track car for under 20k? How about about:

A front engine AWD straight 6 turbo monster! Originally sold for 22.6k, depreciation has brought it down to 18.5k.

Featuring a 6 speed manual, double wishbone on all 4 corners, a stripped out interior, and aluminium panels, the Y4000 has real race pedigree for a very agreeable price.

With UK MPG of 22.7 and a safety rating of 46.6, it also fulfils your buying requirements.

1 Like

crap, i think i forget about the minimum profits. can i still revise my car?

I’m afraid the rules state that only the first car you send in can be counted. I would only let you send in a revision if the file was broken or not working properly. Apologies.

Are you looking for a pure sports car at a moderate price? Then FSD Mertz is the perfect choice for you!

It features top technology of the late 90s, such as a 4.0l naturally aspirated v8 producing 511 hp at 8100 rpm. Yes, that’s right - 8100 rpm. Combined with performance oriented suspension, it is ready to hit the tracks. 0-60 time may not seem that impressive ( 5 seconds), but dynamics starting from about 40 km/h are really good. This car can hit the top speed of almost 200 mph (exactly 191.8), and brake from 60 mph to 0 in impressive 29 meters! Back in 1998 this car used to cost 32792, but as the time passed, it got cheaper. Now you can buy it for only 19410. The engine and car itself offer very good reliability of 69.8 and 70.5. Economy may not seem very impressive being 13.74 mpg, but when driving at a moderate speed, it is capable of doing much better.

1 Like

I believe I am all caught up on reviews. Thanks for the all the submissions! For anyone left, you have just over 48 hours to send in an entry.

Just to confirm, these are the submissions I have had so far. If your name is not on here, please contact me immediatley!
[ul]Kubboz
AirJordan
Bobloblaw
HighOctaneLove
Darkshine5
Koolkei
TR8R
Asdren
Denta
TheCarLover
Nerd
Sillyworld
Oppositelock
Phale
T3rr0rm4n
TheDziuras[/ul]

Last call for entries! You have until 9pm GMT to submit an entry, that’s 7 hours away!

1 Like

How exciting!

3 Likes

The Hype is real!

…Aaaand Boom! That’s a wrap.
We had no last minute entries, so expect the reviews shortly!

2 Likes

##CSR11 - The Results
First of all I would just like to say thank you for all the entrants. You guys really put out a fantastic, diverse range of vehicles and I had a lot of fun reviewing them. Thanks for making my first competition so interesting!

I will hopefully use the Depreciation Calculator in the future at some point in another competition, though I will certainly improve it.

Now, onto the reviews. As previously mentioned, I used three mystery tracks to compare the vehicles, in an attempt to test the cars on a range of different corners, straights and elevations. These tracks were Silverstone, Imola and Zolder.
Silverstone, because it’s a big mix of everything, Imola, for its fast straights and big changes in height and Zolder for its tricky corners.

I have been critical in many areas in these reviews, but please do not let that get you down. These comments are based on how the cars do against my requirements, not on your skill as a car builder.

So, in no particular order…

###1992 Cossack 1600 '16 Restosleeper - £9114
Kubboz

Lap Times - Silverstone: 2:55.84, Imola: 2:21.69, Zolder: 2:05.49
On first inspection, I really did have my expectations fulfilled - this truly is a sleeper. And having spoken to the salesman, it almost feels like a body swapped car. The spaceframe chassis certainly sounds cool, and alongside this there are plenty of new bits like double wishbone suspension, better brakes and rear wheel drive. It is also phenomenally reliable and averages 31.5 mpg. All sounds good so far, but…I’m not so sure it’s worked out so well. For starters, it is slow compared to the rest of the competition; those lap times speak for themselves. Secondly, driving the thing didn’t prove to be much better. It’s certainly OK, but it rolls around quite a bit and the acceleration felt quite sludgy due to a rather gentle power/torque curve. And no power steering? That’s quite a move for a modern car, and the result was that it did need some wrestling to get it round sharper bends. I guess that is part of the authentic racing experience, but it might be a little too authentic. Still, the brakes are very good and that lightweight 1.6l engine means the car has excellent weight balance. It definitely feels fun to drive, just not as fun or as good as other vehicles.
I don’t think the super low price can really justify this car either. It’s just not quite there.

###2017 Smooth GR-N - £20966
AirJordan

Lap Times - Silverstone: 2:32.03, Imola: 2:00.68, Zolder: 1:48.14
The GR-N gets off to a promising start with its LMP-derived body and good looks. While the front is certainly nice to ponder, the back looks fantastic with that low wing and dual high mounted exhausts. And with some 358 bhp under the bonnet and an exceptionally responsive engine, there’s no doubt that this car has the ‘quick’ box ticked for me. An added bonus of decent efficiency is nice, although I had to be careful where I drove it on the test drive due to the very low nose and sheer width of the car. The transmission is sharp and decisive, with short changes that do require some skill to master. But, the gearbox is simple with only 6 gears and a single clutch, which does improve it greatly. The suspension felt well tuned, with a semi-active setup that is forgiving without being sloppy. The push-rod design is excellent and of great quality, plus it feels thoroughly motorsporty. It’s clearly been adjusted to compliment drivability, though that certainly doesn’t mean this thing is in anyway comfortable to drive. You really can feel every bump in the road, meaning this is most certainly a track-only car.
I’m most certainly pleased with the GR-N, and it could be a contender.

###2003 Petoskey Montauk RTX - £10802
Bobloblaw

Lap Times - Silverstone: 2:42.70, Imola: 2:09.48, Zolder: 1:55.89
So then, a muscle car that drives like a sports car. Is it possible? Petoskey certainly think so, and they’ve given it a fantastic name. Also fantastic are the looks, which have an excellent retro-modern feel, and the noise. Oh my, the noise. I. Love. It. In principle, the car is very simple. Iron block engine producing 362 hp, 0-60 in 5.5 seconds, semi-active suspension and a nice interior. It’s certainly one of the most comfortable, and yet even so the suspension is geared up for racing. The lap times hold up as well; this is a decent track car, although there are some issues. For one, the powerband is limited, probably to save engine reliability. Then there’s this car’s wheelspinning tendencies; it does like to do it if you jam the throttle too hard. And then there’s the braking. It does stop quickly, but it squabbles quite a bit and has a tendency to let the rear loose. In short, it lacks control in this department. While that low price is tempting, it doesn’t get past the fact that this car isn’t quite as sophisticated on the track as its rivals.
Promising certainly, but not really what I’m looking for, even with the low price.

###1991 Bogliq Maverick Pursuit - £14375
HighOctaneLove

Lap Times - Silverstone: 3:00.97, Imola: 2:23.91, Zolder: 2:08.59
Hell yeah! At long last, I get to drive a Bogliq! And better still, it’s a non-American muscle car that as far as the ad goes isn’t trying to be a track car. And it certainly doesn’t look suited to the track either - it’s absolutely massive, and those 16" wheels feel like they belong on a shopping trolley. Still, it does look good. Really good. A hint of menace with plenty of mettle. Sadly though, the only other positive thing I can say is that it weirdly doesn’t roll about too much. What it does instead is wallow around as the suspension struggles to keep all 1853kg under control. It may well be powerful - and it does deal with 0-60 in just over 6 seconds - but it just can’t seem to put all 344 hp onto the ground. Nor does it seem to be able to stop, with brakes that simply do not feel right. This means it ends up feeling like an hippo on a floor of marbles, and it’s made worse by the lack of power steering. I got pretty scared trying to drive this car at speed after a while, let alone on a track. And speaking of tracks, the lap times are poor to say the least.
It looks good, and there sadly doesn’t seem to be much more to it than that.

###2016 A.N.Z. Tiapan - £18984
Darkshine5

Lap Times - Silverstone: 2:45.80, Imola: 2:12.51, Zolder: 1:57.94
I was initially hesitant about the Tiapan, not only because I’d never heard of the company until now, but also because the looks felt a bit simple. But, they have grown on me, and the cars simple style continues on the inside. Simple digital race gauges, simple interior and simple array of assists. Nice. What isn’t simple is what’s underneath; powering it is an iron block 4.7l V8 that snorts its way to 301 hp; a fully active suspension setup keeps it on the road; a sequential gearbox and LSD deliver the power. The result? This is a great car to drive. Not too taxing, but still plenty of fun. It feels light and pointed in the corners and even if the top speed isn’t too big, it gets there very quickly and really rockets about the track. It is limited in a few places, chief among which is the powerband, and I do think the wheels and brakes could do with some fine tuning. But, it sets good lap times, it’s very reliable and surprisingly comfortable too. There’s not a major sense of passion, but the DIY feel, cobbled-togetherness of the car is great and gives it character.
Plenty of features, a good price and great driving characteristics. I like.

###2000 Komodo Silver KSR - £19782
Koolkei

Lap Times - Silverstone: 2:43.37, Imola: 2:10.13, Zolder: 1:56.65
How can you argue with a two seat sports car! This thing looks like it was made for the track with its dinky spoiler, flared wheel arches and big intakes. A partial aluminium body sits atop an AHS steel chassis, giving it a decently low weight and plenty of stiffness, while the 2.4l i6 is a welcome break from the other engines I’ve been testing thanks to its smoothness and decent output of 291 bhp. It’s a very well made unit, and it also sounds lovely. Unusually, it has an open rear differential, but that didn’t really seem to matter as this isn’t a car that likes to wheelspin. It is, however, very quick, topping out at 172 mph. That said, I’m not overly keen on the suspension setup, as while it is aggressive, it does feel a little loose in the corners. Certainly drives well though, and that premium interior is very nice. Then again, I also think they could have kept it bare and saved 100kg, which would have definitely improved the handling. And while the price is good, I don’t feel it quite represents the best value for money.
It gets a lot right, but there are better offerings elsewhere.

###2016 FOA Spitting Cobra - £23267
TR8R

Lap Times - Silverstone: 2:39.57, Imola: 2:06.70, Zolder: 1:53.65
My first impressions of the Spitting Cobra were “WOHHH!!”. It looks manic - in a good way. Dual auxiliary headlights that look they came off of a Aston Martin Vantage GTE, a crazy sloping rear end and a 443 bhp 4.0l V8 turbo. Sheesh! Unsurprisingly, it is incredibly fast, topping out at 201 mph and reaching 60 mph in just under 4 seconds. Thankfully though, at lower speeds, it isn’t so bonkers, thanks to well tuned suspension that is forgiving without compromising on lap times (which it does very well). It was at this point that I found out that it also has all wheel drive, a very nice touch that keeps the car planted. The massive wheels and big brakes do compromise on comfort, but they feel perfectly suited to this vehicle, and on the track it really feels alive and responsive. This seems like an awful lot of car for just £18k, and I soon found out why: the costs hadn’t been calculated correctly. Instead of a 35% profit margin, FOA are only adding 5% profits to this car. Having revalued the vehicle, it comes in at £23267, too much for my budget at the moment. Damn!
A really good, bonkers, track-bred car that just isn’t in my budget range right now.

###2011 Revera XR Supersport - £19959
Asdren

Lap Times - Silverstone: 2:33.47, Imola: 2:02.44, Zolder: 1:49.58
I wouldn’t be lying if I said that I was incredibly excited to drive this car. However, I had to spend a few minutes just taking it in; from every angle, the XR Supersport looks incredible. A plethora of driver assists greet you as you open the door, and starting up that engine sounded amazing. A 3.2l V6 sits in the middle, shoving 380 hp through a six speed manual, allowing the car to do 0-60 in 4.1 seconds - very, very fast. This car also has a physics-breaking brake distance of just 28.86m from 62 mph. The semi-active suspension is excellent, with a decent roll angle and a tactile response. Through the corners, this car is amazing - no other way to put it. Reliability certainly isn’t an issue, and the economy isn’t too bad either. What was a little disconcerting was that this thing required plenty of skill to drive. Fine on a track, but on the scary side when driving on the road. At the same time, it’s those characteristics that make it so good on the track, and I think that it may be a worthwhile sacrifice.
Seriously good to drive and very well designed. We will come back to this one for sure!

###2001 Pragata Puspa Turbo - £20698
Denta

Lap Times - Silverstone: 2:49.28, Imola: 2:15.01, Zolder: 2:00.73
What stunned me about the Puspa Turbo when I first saw it was just how long it was. It looked the rear wing was in a different timezone to the engine. And speaking of that engine, it is brilliant. A 3.0l V6 Turbo that produces 348 bhp, and is filled with race-grade parts. Better still, the turbos aren’t too big, meaning you hit boost at just 3000 rpm, making it very usable. Delivering that power is a well tuned 6 speed manual and two limited slip diffs that send power to all 4 wheels. Very promising so far. However, unlike any other car so far, the Puspa is made entirely out of steel, meaning it weighs in at 1758 kg! That may well include good safety equipment and 5 seats, but it made me apprehensive about taking it on the track. Yet, I was surprised at the lap times. It may be heavy, but the aggresive setup of the semi-active suspension does (almost) keep things in check, though it has to be said that it didn’t feel suited to the track. Straight line performance is where this car really shines, with a top speed of 178 mph. If only the handling was as good as the speed.
Too big for its own good; far more suited to a drag strip that a circuit.

###2006 Americar V8 662-RS - £18843
nerd

Lap Times - Silverstone: 2:46.97, Imola: 2:12.06, Zolder: 1:59.38
I’ve never heard of Americar, and hence I had few expectations of the 662-RS. That it turn meant that I wasn’t prepared for the statistics: lurking under the bonnet is 10.8l V6 producing 623 bhp, shooting this car to a top speed of 226 mph. That is phenomenal to say the least. What is not phenomenal is the fact that this car weighs slightly less than the moon, and handles like a giraffe on ice. The chassis is archaic - it’s a steel ladder design that’s supposed to handle hypercar amounts of power. The suspension comprises of Macpherson Struts at the front and leaf springs at the rear, with all-analogue parts. Needless to say, they are pretty much useless. The semi-slick, 305mm rear tyres cannot keep the car from spinning its wheels, and it has, and I’m not kidding, drum brakes. They’re weak, to say the least. The result of all this is a car that not only isn’t good as a track day vehicle, but isn’t good as a car full stop. Even with all that weight, it’s not even the safest car here, and with an average economy of 9.9 mpg, I cannot possibly consider this car for my final lot.
It’s not a car, it’s a deathtrap.

###2009 Riane GT Custom Build - £19852
Sillyworld

Lap Times - Silverstone: 2:38.37, Imola: 2:05.83, Zolder: 1:52.84
Sadly my review of this car was delayed beacuse I had to sit gawking at it for a little while. The Riane GT looks absolutley fantastic, and that rear diffuser is mesmerising. It’s evidently inspired by the GT1 cars of the 90s, and that theme conitnues with the engine; it’s a naturally apsirated 5.8l V8 that produces a rounded 447 bhp. A 6 speed manual and LSD deliver that power, launching the car from 0-60 in 4.1 seconds, whilst also spinning the wheels a fair bit. The push-rod suspension feels really nice, and has been set up well. It loves eating up corners and remains very balanced and controlled, even if it isn’t active suspension. Unusually, this car has no undertray, perhaps to reduce the costs. Also strange are the tyres, which are medium compound. I feel it would benefit hugely from some more grip, as it can get on the lairy side if you aren’t careful. However, I can’t faulter the reliability of it, nor the built-in-a-shed kit-car feel of it, even if it does lack refinement. The lap times really hold up too with this car, and are a testament to its better parts.
A GT1-esque kit car. This is something I can’t ignore.

###2012 Solo Hare SSM - £18217
thecarlover

Lap Times - Silverstone: 2:35.93, Imola: 2:03.86, Zolder: 1:51.19
Wow. That’s what came to mind upon first looking at the Hare - this being the SSM variant. It looks sophistacted and exciting, especially in that orange paintjob. I can’t quite describe it, but it really feels like a car with purpose. Agile handling, great throttle response and tons of grip; you can really throw this thing around without too much of a problem. Yet, it also has some unique features. Active air suspension, for one, which didn’t have the same immediatness found on other cars I’ve tested, but was awesome in how it adapted and adjusted constantly. Then there’s the dinky 2.6l twin-turbo V6, out of which they’ve squeezed 381 bhp. It’s not efficient, but it is lightweight, and combining that with the aluminium body, it means that this car really dances through the corners. More than anything else, I got an impression of meticulousness, as if every inch of this car had been refined. Even if it isn’t the easiest car to drive in the world, it doesn’t feel like the designers were trying to fix that. Moreover, that challenge it presents makes it superbly rewarding to drive.
This looks and feels like an enthusiasts car. We shall be visiting this one again.

###2016 GSI Mamba - £16992
oppositelock

Lap Times - Silverstone: 2:32.71, Imola: 2:01.87, Zolder: 1:49.08
I think I’ve found a world first with the GSI Mamba - a sleeper supercar. The styling isn’t particularly bold or bonkers, but the stats this thing reels off are incredible. Those lap times for one are excellent, and that’s before you get to the 3.8 seconds 0-60 time. Even if it is a little loose here and there, it has an exceptional ability to deliver and control power. Speaking of that power, it comes from a gorgeous 3.8l FPV8 that produces 350 bhp, meaning it has plenty of guts with decent economy. If that wasn’t enough, the massive rear tyres give you biblical amounts of grip and there’s evidently been a lot of effort put into the suspension to create a rewarding and dynamic setup that works with the car, rather than against it. My only complaint? The slightly lower quality of the vehicle, compared to the rest of the competition. But does that really matter when this is such a good track car, and is also very reliable, comes with a decently equipped interior and drives beautifully, all for an astonishing price? I genuinely cannot find a deal-breaking fault with this vehicle.
I’m sold. Screw the lack of looks, this is an amazing car.

###2011 Adenine Mist - £19011
phale

Lap Times - Silverstone: 2:27.75, Imola: 1:57.68, Zolder: 1:45.29
I asked for a fast car, and boy have I found one. The Adenine Mist is as quick as its name is short; you need look no further than those lap times. Its remarkable 391 bhp 1.9l i4 Turbo is reminscent of old Group 5 race car engines, while it’s sequential transmission feels precise and attentive. The word “active” can also be found on many of the features of the car; it is incredibly dynamic and agile, and feels thoroughly advanced. And yet, I’m not quite falling for it. I’m unsure about the excessive black pastic on the front grille, the reliability feels lower than average, and then there’s just how this thing drives. It’s terrifying, frankly. It is so sharp and twitchy, which is certainly good, but it makes it so hard to control. You have to have skill that I do not possess inorder to tame this car. Even with all the driver aids in the world, this car still wants to eat you alive every time you let it slide even slightly. I can’t see myself buying a car I can’t drive properly, even if the price is very reasonable for what this is.
For a race driver, this is perfect. But I sadly can’t see myself owning it.

###2006 Y4000 Turbo Sport - £20190
t3rr0rm4n

Lap Times - Silverstone: 2:34.72, Imola: 2:02.41, Zolder: 1:50.07
The Y4000 Turbo Sport sounds more like a car from the eighties, but it certainly doesn’t feel old. What it feels is nimble. A small car, with incredible amounts of power - we’re talking 510 hp here - a great suspension setup and an incredible ability to drive like a car that feels as though it should be much bigger than it is. This is a vehicle with supercar levels of punch, and yet you could fit inside a shoebox. Its 50/50 AWD system creates the unsual feeling of no acceleration; rather, you simple start travelling at a faster speed, instantly. This allows it to rollick out of corners, and still have a sense of security. I felt no fear pushing this car even on normal roads. While the tyres may be on the skinny side, it’s clearly a good bit of design. They don’t get in the way of the handling or overall feel of the car. However, they are so big - 20" to be precise - that they provide no comfort whatsover, which is made worse by the racing suspension setup. Couple that with the below-average reliability of the engine and suddenly, it doesn’t feel so good. I fear this car would end up annoying me and costing me too.
So much to like, but let down by real-world factors.

###1998 FSD Mertz - £19497
The Dziuras

Lap Times - Silverstone: 2:33.90, Imola: 2:01.91, Zolder: 1:49.71
My first thoughts on the FSD Mertz are…unusual. Yes, that’s the word. The unusual design, the tiny wheels, the incredibly fast lap times…Oh yeah, I forgot, this car goes like the clappers. It’s up there with the fastest cars I’ve reviewed so far, meaning this surely should be a good car for me. Alas, as we have seen in this round, it seems that being too racecar ends up being too undriveable. The complete lack of quality in the interior and in the driver assists is not a welcome design choice, while the 4.0l V8 is severely limited in its revs, and yet has below-average reliability. And at 385mm wide each, its a miracle they found a rubber compound strong enough to make those tyres. Bottom line is they don’t feel right, and they cannot tame that wheelspin. This leads to the suspension having to fight against the wheels, and the setup reflects that wholeheartedly. This thing rolls, slides and bumps its way around the track, and is supremely uncomfortable. But perhaps that is the point. Maybe all of this is because racecar. In which case, I’ve probably completely misunderstood it.
It’s very racecar, but also very weird. Not my cup of tea.

##The Verdict
Well, needless to say, I am amazed at the sheer diversity and quality of all the submissions for this round. Even the ones that didn’t quite meet my taste often looked great or clearly had plenty of time spent on them. Excellent job all round!

But, there can only be one winner. So, here are my top 5 - I just couldn’t narrow it down any further…

###5: A.N.Z. Tiapan
A big surprise for me. I really loved this car, and it had plenty of character.

###4: Riane GT Custom Build
I fell for the Le Mans looks instantly. Only the price holds it back here.

###3: Revera XR Supersport
What a masterpiece of a car. As fast as it is good looking. But just a bit too pricey!

###2: Solo Hare SSM
Arguably the best engineered car here, and very nearly the best to drive.

##1: GSI Mamba
This is near enough the perfect car for my needs. Below budget, very fast and supremely well designed.
Congratulations Oppositelock, I crown thee the winner!

Honorable mentions go to:
[ul]TR8R - the Spitting Cobra is brilliantly bonkers and would have done very well had it been in my budget.
AirJordan - an amazing entry, but just a smidgen too expensive.
[/ul]

5 Likes

Congratulations to the winners, and thanks to DeusExMackia for the round!

Oh hey I actually had the fastest lap times here, and with a tiny I4 no less :smiley: I guess I’m getting better at tuning for the track…
And was 47 drivability really that bad? Not even enough to get an honorable mention? :stuck_out_tongue:

Those were some really amazing cars and great reviews! Mye car ended up pretty slow in comparison :pensive:
Congratulations to this round winner!

my price should be higher though since im only put it on 10% :stuck_out_tongue:

still i like how you describe the long chassis :grin:

and conggrats to oppositelock