The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

well to be fair, i think most of the entry is going to be slushboxes. it does give a bit of a utility stats boost.

Remember that manuals are going to be more efficient though :wink: it’s up to you to find the right balance.

well for my case, the fuel efficiency manuals gave me in not worth sacrificing both utility score and drivability.

Another thing they don’t factor in, you can learn to drive stick in one afternoon. But it takes considerably longer to learn shifting habits for optimal fuel economy.

I’m proud to present FSD Carger.

It’s a large VAN, that can carry everything you need. It features an engine which has 366nm of torque at 2500 rpm, and reaches 200 hp. It is also extremely efficient, thanks to Di-sell technology. This car has an amazing economy of less than 9 liters per 100km, but is still capable of going 0-100 in 8,6 seconds and reaching 200 km/h. It also offers place for 4 people and a high-quality CD player. It also has an electrical opening, so breaking into it is much harder (that’s why there are no handles visible). All this is available for only 19920.

2 Likes

Presenting the 2006 FOA Van Der Graft.

Driveable, comfortable, safe and quiet for it’s size.

V6, 3L, engine producing 174hp @ 6100rpm drives the front wheels. And gives a moderate 26mpg.

Top speed of 118mph (faster than 99% of the worlds highways!!)

This has been back to FOA for a thorough inspection.

Seats 4 in high comfort and fitted with a premium SatNav (which also includes 2 years updates free!).

3 years/60, 000 miles warranty.

12 months free servicing.

All of this for only $19,440.

Grab a bargain today.

2 Likes

Presenting the Mott Works Vigor

This full size utility van should suit your needs quite nicely. It has a massive amount of storage behind the seats, of which there are 2, and this allows you to bring along loads of supplies, tools, and any other equipment you may need. Those 2 seats are made of leather and when combined with the progressive springs with semi-active dampers and adaptive sway bars this is a very comfortable vehicle to ride in. The suspension itself is macpherson strut up front and solid axle coil in the back which ensures it can deal with even the heaviest of loads. The chassis is of ladder style and is made of AHS steel as it allowed for a lower floor increasing carrying capacity. The body is partially made of aluminum as it lowered the weight allowing for better economy.

The engine under the hood is a 3L inline 4 tuned to give incredible economy. This is achieved through the use of a turbocharger, 5 valves per cylinder, and direct injection. The engine also features VVT which further increases the economy. The turbocharger develops 7.9psi of boost and spools up at 1900rpm. Overall the engine produces 245hp at 6200rpm and 260lb-ft of torque at 3900rpm. This power goes through a 6 speed sequential transmission to the 185/70R16 tires and it gets slowed back down by large vented disc brakes that supply ample force so that it can still get stopped well even when fully loaded. With all of the economy tuning done on the engine combined with the fully clad undertray and aerodynamic body this vehicle gives a staggering 40USmpg and it is still fairly quick, managing 0-60 in 7.3 seconds and get to a top speed of 182mph.

3 Likes

Introducing, the Dragotec Detroit. The Belgian company’s attack on the typical pick-up trucks and work vans for the business owner who has a family.

It’s a work wagon! With 4 seats, out of which the rear 2 fold-able (Automation ignored), it gives a nice solution to do a school run with if needed without sacrificing too much space for tools and supplies. Speaking of which, its boot is big enough to make some pick-ups blush (roof rack is optional). Enough to carry whatever you need for a day’s work.

Sure, it’s pretty low, but together with our new inline 6 direct injected turbocharged engine this results in a fuel economy of 6.3 l/100km, or over 37 mpg. It’s pretty fast too, going from 0 to 60 in 8.6 seconds with a top speed of over 155 mph (latter one is not recommended to try for yourself on public roads) in good old RWD, with enough clearance and dampening to deal with whatever potholes life might throw at you.

The customer isn’t exactly next door? No problem, with high end interior and CD/radio entertainment (and the Detroit’s agility) the trip will be over before you know it.

What will all this cost you? $ 19,920 But keep in mind that in 100,000 miles, you’ll easily have saved about $ 3,000 compared to a vehicle with 29 mpg.

1 Like

Is that us or uk mpg?

US

Thats pretty good and I was quite impressed at first, but I’ve needed to make a new car for this and it gets 38 currently and is larger than yours.

[craiglist]
Pragata Arjuna Te (Turbo Eco) 08, a 5 seater mid size city SUV. still on 15000miles with 5 years/60000 miles warranty

brocure wise, Arjuna powered with turbocharged 3.3L V6 Direct Injection with VVT/L and able to produce 196HP at 6000rpm. this SUV still able to do just about 31MPG in the city and able to pass 130MPH on highway with good acceleration time. it has AWD system so worry free in case muddy road or snow storm

interior is quite spacious even for back seat and equiped wiith Alpine CD player with speaker on each side door, the cargo is enough for a large breed dog cage so no worry

you can take it for $19920, $20000 with roof basket

[/craiglist]

1 Like

i’m still aiming for the best offer at $19K.

i’ve done my fair share of ‘maxxing out the limit’ on these budget builds. never worked for me

Well, if you want to go down the war route… I suppose that’s not with auto transmission :wink: but yes better probably is possible.

Semi-automatic. If i swap to automatic it drops to 35.2

Well, may the best car win :slight_smile:

I just want to remind everyone that no limited production parts are allowed, which means no aluminum or fiberglass body panels.

Also, cars made in the beta have different utility scores than in stable release. I will be judging all cars in stable so keep this in mind.

I originally wanted to put forward one of our Gnoo Hauliflower vans. I’m sure it would have been worthy even in this saturated marketplace. However, seeing all the ways in which you wanted to use the vehicle, and the economic considerations, I’m putting forward the Gnoo Utilight 160 instead.

Sure, you’ll say the Utilight platform is old.

But the technology is all new. High strength steel, modern engine technologies. High utility and reliability comparable to the sun rising in the morning. There is a reason the Utilight has looked the same for decades even as the technology underneath changes. You know you can count on it. Your clients will know they can count on you.

You might say the Utilight is small.

But small is a relative term. It has ample space in the back and more than enough capacity to handle the heaviest equipment. If, sometimes, you really need more, you can easily enough fit a trailer.

Meanwhile, the Utilight will carry your everyday workload with unparalleled economy (5l/100km) and low running costs, plus four people in good comfort. And you can be sure you’ll get there thanks to its Premium SatNav system.

All this, mind you, for only $15360.

2 Likes

I had to do some creative designing to make my restomod fit under 20,000 (with the features I wanted).
One of the big challenges was the engine…

i almost went with the big body truck, but ending up way too expensive, although i could fit it under 20k, the specs are… not satisfiying.

curiously, this is may be the first time i’ve done a challenge that the number 1 limit is material cost.
i could put +6 quality on the exhaust and get 5-6hp extra for no and barely any price change.
but sizing up the engine for an extra 0.1L increased a whole lot.

a clue: i’ll be going with an iron block engine just because it’s lower material cost, and i can spend the money elsewhere.