The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

Megacorp AV1-W

Cost: $34,600

Engine: 7.2L DOHC V8, 416 hp, 486 lb-ft

Drivetrain: 7 speed automatic, 4x4 with manual locker

Performance: 0-100 in 7.7s, top speed of 243 km/h

Interior: 7 leather seats, luxury infotainment system, twin rear sunroof

Armouring: per customer request

Additional equipment: bullbar, front and rear winch, bulletproof tires, roof mounted lights

Specs: 2612 kg, 3.31 m wheelbase, 5.46 m length, 30 cm ride height, 16.5 mpg

10 Likes

It does have 4 seats. Performance? Quick enough. Power? 440 hp. Armor? Yes. Itā€™s not exactly the most cushy car in the world, the interior is that of a standard subcompact, with a cheap infotainment. But, do you really need power and heated and memory seats to get away from an enemy? No, no you donā€™t. For only $24900.

6 Likes

BM Execulux

Designed to haul foreign dignitaries around in comfort and safety, the BM Execulux provides a versatile platform designed to protect from gunfire, IEDā€™s and any other manner of attack.

An all-new 3.0L i6 engine was designed for reliability and power, whilst still providing reasonable fuel economy and not compromising on comfort. Producing over 300hp and delivering 20MPG. This, coupled with the weight-optimised construction, means the Execulux can sprint to 62mph in under 8 seconds, and carry on to 164mph!

Only $34,700

7 Likes

DMV Impact Guardian

The DMV Impact is our premier full-size SUV, with applications ranging from offroad to track. This particular one is equipped with our special Guardian package. Which means it has a specially shaped underbody to deflect Mines and IEDs, body panels capable of stopping bullets in their tracks, and a hermetically sealed interior in case of chemical or nuclear attack. Its 7 seat interior is enough for you and a team of bodyguards ride in comfort, with hidden mounting points for guns to allow for returning fire.

Standard equipment includes emergency communications equipment, an onboard water reserve with a special filtration system, an additional reserve for 2 pints of blood for each of the passengers in the event of an injury, and a smokescreen.

And weā€™re happy to report that our anemities havenā€™t compromised performance. The Guardian receives a standard 8.2 liter V8 and 6 speed automatic that when mated to the AWD system, allow the Impact to reach 60 in just 4.4 seconds onto a top speed of 170 MPH. And being a 4,900 pound SUV, it has the bulk to withstand impact from pursuing vehicles, and return the favor if need be.

The specially tuned suspension allows the Impact to hold over .9 Gs of lateral cornering force while maintaining a high standard of comfort, and has been specially constructed to be able to withstand repeated use off the pavement.

As equipped the Impact Guardian retails for $33,300

5 Likes

Ok. 16 cars to go through. Expect results by tomorrow night.

Edit: got 10 of the 16 done. Rest of them tomorrow.

9 Likes

Results are in!

Okay Carlos, letā€™s see that folder of my notes on these cars. This all we tested? Let me see. Iā€™ll give them all a score between zero and a hundred. In case of a tie, Iā€™ll go with my gut feeling. Sound good? Letā€™s start.

Madrias
2010 Storm Serenity APC

It has an intimidating engine noise. It sounds big. I think I like that! Itā€™s just that, it might attract unwanted attention. And the stylingā€™s funky, not really sure how I feel about it. Looks like itā€™s very easy to access the back seat. Front passengers get a sunroof. Why not back? And whatā€™s with these spy gadgets? I donā€™t think theyā€™re necessary. But the car performs adequately. Not bad, but I have a feeling weā€™ll find better ones.

81/100

Conan
2010 BKOO Alameda Limited

A very comfortable car with fancy entertainment options. Seems to be quite sturdily built. This beefy inline 6 engine moves it just about quickly enough, but is at the low end of what I expect from this kind of car. At least it doesnā€™t consume ridiculous amounts of fuel. Tyres and wheels are maybe a bit too sport-oriented, I fear they might not be durable enough in heavy use. The price of the car leaves us a thousand bucks in the budget though, so maybe we could exchange those to something more suitable.

90/100

LinkLuke
LLA Witney X 3500WR

This one looks nice, and the interior is very luxurious, but there are much cheaper options that perform well enough. The tyres are way too thin and on alloy wheels. You hit a pothole with those and you got a cracked or bent wheel. Itā€™s fast, and one of those very prestigious cars that humans always covet. That means car thieves might get interested in it. Itā€™s also at the lower end of the cars tested when it comes to reliability.

75/100

abg7
Fleet Industries Terraptor PPK

Another thin tyred and alloy wheeled car. But it has exactly the kind of looks Iā€™m after. Performs and handles well enough, and the interior is well thought out. Feels mostly a quite sensible choise, Itā€™s just a bit on the expensive side for the kind of performance and features it offers.

85/100

TheElt
BM Execulux

Finally a car with tough steel wheels and enough rubber on them! Another inline 6 with just enough oomph to move it at an adequate pace, but itā€™s somewhat economical. Loud though. Scary roll angle of over 6 degrees in high speed turns, but itā€™s quite comfortable to sit in.

87/100

DeusExMackia
Erin Berlose

Itā€™s one of the smallest cars we looked at. First and foremost itā€™s obviously way more economical compared to the bigger cars. I can fit in it comfortably with 2 body guards and a driver, so itā€™s not TOO small. It has the kind of looks Iā€™m after and at 29000 bucks itā€™s very affordable but itā€™s just lacking in durability and safety. It has some neat security gadgets but they donā€™t help in a high speed crash. If I would only need it for city driving, it would be a serious contender.

78/100

nerd
armored kei vehicle

No. I would have to be loaded in the trunk to be able to fit. Undignified. Iā€™d also expect a car that looked like that to be much better off road.

60/100

thecarlover
Megacorp AV1-W

A proper offroader, this one is gigantic. Fitting my box in wonā€™t be a problem, thatā€™s for sure. But do I really need something quite like this? No. Itā€™s at the other extreme end of the scale from some of those cars reviewed that would only be good in a city. This one would only be good outside of cities. And Iā€™m not sure if I want to travel in something that looks like a military vehicle. Sure itā€™s gonna be the toughest THING out there but too much is too much.

86/100

bastormonger
Mosley L31P3 6.5

This is another very prestigious car that might attract thieves or other unwanted attention. Itā€™s very spacious with only 4 seats in such a large car, so each seat gets a lot of room. Good for converting the back for my box, but unnecessary. Their advertising boasts with their V12 engine but in the end, itā€™s still not close to being the fastest one of the cars tested. It is plenty fast enough, though. Feels very solidly built. Sturdy high quality wheels. Ok economy. Mark this one as a maybe, even though itā€™s unnecessarily garish.

77/100

Dorifto_Dorito
ACA Corona Custom

Now this is a gangster car if Iā€™ve ever seen any! Itā€™s basically a hot rod with armor. Too bad my men use Jatimatic and MAC-10 instead of Tommy guns. Theyā€™d look out of place in it. I love it, it speaks to my nature, but itā€™s not what I actually need right now. Iā€™ll take a note of it, maybe Iā€™ll save up some extra and buy one later just for fun. Maybe export it out of this planet if I can ever contact my people out there againā€¦

82/100

SkylineFTW97
DMV Impact Guardian

There are a couple other similar cars but this seems like the best overall example of this style of car; functional but classy. At least on the outside. Nice sunroof extending to the back, but otherwise the comforts are a bit lacking. Again with the fancy gadgets like smokescreen and stuff Iā€™m not sure I really need, but you never know. I hear these things are very reliable and well built, but I think it would be better with a slightly smaller but turbocharged engine. Actually I would love it as a diesel, but for some reason the humans of this world have not invented diesel yet.

88/100

HighOctaneLove
Bogliq Convoy Deluxe

Another big thing. A slow big thing. I like the looks of it, but it just doesnā€™t perform well enough, especially considering how much gas it uses. And of course it has the same issue than with that other gigantic beast we saw earlier. A cool and scary thing to see coming, but I donā€™t really need something quite like it.

84/100

JohnWaldock
JHW Atlantic ā€œ620Xā€ By A.V.L.

A people carrier is actually a quite good basis to go on. I can have the middle row to myself and be surrounded by body guards on both the front and back. That sliding door helps with loading my box in. Itā€™s not nearly the fastest one out there and the handling is just mediocre, but what it does it manages with decent fuel economy and reliability. This has so much potential that Iā€™ll mark this one as a maybe, mostly because itā€™s a couple thousand bucks under budget so we might beef it up a bit. It basically just needs to be a bit faster.

91/100

LordLetto
Impresa CRM

It would be slightly difficult to fit my box in. Is this a rally car? It looks like youā€™d expect it to be at least somewhat quicker. Interestingly itā€™s the only car with a 5 speed manual gearbox that weā€™ve tried out. Most of the other ones are 6 speed automatics. Soft hydropneumatic suspension with a long travel and high ride height. Rolls like a 2CV. One of the more economical choises, but itā€™s again something that might attract thieves and is not quite what I have in mind.

65/100

Sillyducky
Washington Stallion

This car gives me similar feelings than that mobster rod we saw earlier. Mark it as ā€œbuy one laterā€, but for this purposeā€¦ wait, hmm. Damn, it will attract too much attention! Itā€™s so loud, too! This one would be great for drag racing. Iā€™ll have to try to put aside wants and focus on the needs.

70/100

TR8R
NCC Warlord

The loudest car tested. The two baffled mufflers wonā€™t silence it much on a 5.75 inch tailpipe coming from a screaming inline 6. Otherwise a nice people carrier setup again, comfortable and roomy enough while having the good performance and durability I need. It even has proper tough wheels unlike most of these. Maybe we could even detune it a bit to make it quieter. The styling is quite weird, though. Not in a way that would instantly turn me off but itā€™s certainly different. Iā€™ve seen enough, put that on top of the maybe-pile.

89/100

The choise
JHW Atlantic ā€œ620Xā€ By A.V.L. It just seems like the most well thought out overall package. Not too expensive to buy or use, and itā€™s got so much room. Go get one in black, Carlos.

Scores in order:

JohnWaldock, 91
Conan, 90
TR8R, 89
SkylineFTW97, 88
TheElt, 87
thecarlover, 86
abg7, 85
HighOctaneLove, 84
Dorifto_Dorito, 82
Madrias, 81
DeusExMackia, 78
bastormonger, 77
LinkLuke, 75
SillyDucky, 70
LordLetto, 65
nerd, 60

17 Likes

So close. I did build a smaller turbocharged one. Guess I shouldā€™ve used that. Oh well.

JohnWaldock has wonā€¦ So congratulations to him! Itā€™s his first CSR round win, and he deserved it. I am now curious as to what the next round will be about. And I can hold my head up high: my car received a favorable review, although I should have cut costs in a few places if I wanted a podium finish, at least.

Gz to JW!

Canā€™t believe I came 3rdā€¦this wasnā€™t supposed to be a serious challenger. :rofl:

4 Likes

HOW!?!?!?!
I WON!!!

new round will be up soon.

7 Likes

Neat little round @accent , really liked the idea too. Good job John :smiley:

3 Likes

CSR 56: All American Blacktop

(still Kee engine, sadly)

Itā€™s 2017, and Ricky is a plucky late twenty-something living in Sacramento, California with a dull, but reasonably paying job. ever since he was a kid, Rickyā€™s dream was to own a pristine muscle car. Now, after a couple of years of saving up, he finally has enough cash to buy a car from the golden age of muscle.

Now, heā€™s not wanting a fixer-upper, as he doesnā€™t have the time to sink into a project of that scale, nor is he wanting a super rare collectors item, because he doesnā€™t have THAT kind of money. He just needs a good, pre Oil Crisis, working manā€™s muscle machine for the weekends. so, with that in mind, he setā€™s of looking for his dream ride.

Rules

• Car/Model year 1964-1973

• Max. Price $12,500 @ 0%

• Min. Engine reliability of 40

• 92 and 98 Oct. only

• Cars must have an Advert with picture and price.

other than that, itā€™s pretty much open season.

Pointers

• This round is heavily set in reality, so keep in mind what american muscle cars were using at that point in time with engines, chassis parts, and suspension et al.

• There is no ET/PU limit, but try and keep them as reasonable as possible, we donā€™t want something that is fiendishly complex and impossible to mend when wosrt comes to worst.

• Styling is CRUCIAL. itā€™s gotta look every inch an icon.

• You can go well under the budget. It may not be the best strategy, but going max price may not be either.

• Yes, you can build a rear engined 300 c.i. I3 car or a 250 c.i. V12 luxo-donk. but expect a two word review comprising solely of expletives.

Naming conventions as per usual (i.e. CSR56-yourname/carname/CSR56-yourname/Enginename)

Deadline 17th November @ 10:00PM GMT

14 Likes

Oh yeah, more muscle cars! And this time the more open rule set should lead to more diversity among the entries. Weā€™ll stay with the Kee version for now.

As for me, I am torn between whether to build a big-block muscle car or a small-block pony car - those approaches are the ones I find most tempting.

Looks like the answer was already there.

For Sale. 1968 BKOO Cesta S-400 4 speed.

Partay at the front, bizniz at the back.

I have for sale a very rare and iconic car. This is a 1968 BKOO Cesta S-400. The 400 of course stands for 405 cubic inches and S stands for Sports. The S-400 package of course comes standard with Dual glass-pack exhausts, tube headers, 4 barrel carburetor, shaker hood, lumpy camshaft and heavy-duty cylinder head. This example also comes with 4 speed standard shift, a world renowned BKOO TopRange Transmission. Itā€™s also equipped with optional front disc brakes and rev counter.

Itā€™s a rare example in great condition despite itā€™s racer image. With 78,000 original miles. It comes with new Polyglas on original optional Magnum wheels. The body work and chassis is in pristine condition all around.

And itā€™s priced to sell at only $10,300! No haggling.

9 Likes

Hi guys, Iā€™m new around here. Just signed up for the forms yesterday, Is there anything vital I should know before submiting a car?

Take your time and know the deadlines

Edit: Not sure if I want to submit my 68 Barracuda again, as we recently did a muscle car round. Maybe the 69/70 small body version insteadā€¦

2 Likes

Preview of what I have Currently:

5 Likes

Thought Iā€™d go Corvette Style, With a little hint of European.
Here is the LLA TP 5.5 for $11,000

6 Likes

'65 Fleet Industries Wolf

This '65 Wolf hardtop coupe is powered by a 5.7-liter small-block V8 fitted with tubular exhausts, forged internals, a high-lift camshaft and dual quad carbs. It comes with a 4-speed manual, front disc brakes, full instrumentation (including a tachometer) and heavy-duty suspension. Despite having covered 100,000 miles in 50 years, it is in excellent condition inside and out thanks to a recent frame-off restoration, including a full respray in the original color of Le Mans Blue. And it can run on premium unleaded, since the engine was originally designed to run on regular leaded gasoline. Best of all, this attractive and sporty pony car can be yours for just $11,200 - leaving you enough money to buy some aftermarket parts if you want to.

2 Likes