The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

Just what part of speak IF you have an OBJECTION do you not understand

11 Likes

Sensible?

znopresk ztronk3

12 Likes

ok, no objections. Officially, NormanVauxhall wins this round, as this round was performed under the auspices of the current rule set. However, weā€™ll move on immediately to using the rule that in event of a round falling through, the person next in line to run the round from the previous roundā€™s results will be asked to host.

@conan youā€™re up!

by the way, everybody, next question: if a particular round lapses, is it still worth doing a poll to see who likes whose cars? Some people put in a lot of effort for a particular round and for that to go completely unaddressed would seem amiss.

7 Likes

Why not. It is not an intensive task.

2 Likes

Sure, why not - as long as roundmaster duties are passed on right away and not after the poll result, so things donā€™t get bogged down unnecessarily (at the risk of suggesting the obviousā€¦)

2 Likes

I agree with you. Under those circumstances a poll would be the best possible backup measure.

And is this the first time that the same car has won two different CSR rounds? Correct me if Iā€™m wrong.

My CSR57 entry received the third-highest number of votes, though. But Iā€™ll just look to the future and plan for CSR58 in the meantime.

1 Like

I see no reason to skip the poll. Take 24 hours or so to get votes in and tally the results for the unofficial round winner, while giving the new roundmaster some time to come up with an idea. Plus, as already mentioned, it gives at least some recognition to those who put in a good amount of effort. At the same time, itā€™s out-of-the-way enough that a new round can start without bringing everything to a screeching halt for several days. After all, a poll can be done now without needing to stop the CSR for 24 to 48 hours to give everyone enough time to link their ads, post their stats, or otherwise reveal their car.

3 Likes

CSR58: Memories.

This round still use the Kee engine.

Itā€™s year 2022. In some South East Asia country.

How did I get into this mess?

Itā€™s been 8 years since this country has become Authoritarian, I didnā€™t expected then that it would become more and more Totalitarian by day. Why the hell did people think it was a good idea to believe that this manipulative and soulless bastard of a government will actually help the people? Anyhowā€¦

I canā€™t help itā€¦ How could I decline to help you? Itā€™s not because of the feeling I have for you 12 years ago. But this thing thatā€™s been going on, itā€™s fucked up. Trying to silence the media by stopping the signal is one thing. But shooting the messenger? Thatā€™s beyond believe. You got to spread the message.

I donā€™t know if the cop have actually marked my Mitsushita Polly now or if they hadnā€™t. Iā€™m sure as hell wonā€™t take chances. Itā€™s not like this is my only car. I think itā€™s time to bring out my old manā€™s car to do this trip that will take her outside the country safely and discreetly.

Itā€™s good to see you again though. You were just a plucky student activist, trying to change the world. Now youā€™re the enemy of the state because you dig a little bit too deepā€¦ How did that happen?

You ran into me a few weeks agoā€¦ All the suppressed memories. I nearly forgot why I loved you so much. And damn the past 10 years have not changed you a single bit!

Itā€™s funny, isnā€™t it? Sentimentality. I still have my dadā€™s car. Most people wouldā€™ve binned that thing long before, especially with the government bringing about regulations that makes old car usage in the city damn nearly impossible. But itā€™s still there. It makes no sense that I would keep it, but I still do.

I still remember vividly the day dad bought that thing from the dealership. He spent weeks looking at all the different sedans he couldā€™ve bought, and he decided to buy that thing. It could only be THAT CAR.

Dad was nearly at his retirement, he never spent a lot of money beforehand. But it was his reward, his love. Itā€™s the last car he ever needed in his life. And it was the last car he ever drove in his lifeā€¦ How long itā€™s been since dad passed away? 5 years?

Dad stopped driving around the time I started driving, it was around the time I met you the first time. Of course I remember that day. It was a rainy day, and you were wondering how youā€™ll get homeā€¦ I drove that thing a long way telling you that my house was in the same direction. Of course it wasnā€™t. But thatā€™s not the point was it?

After graduation, I got a job. I had money to buy something else. But I didnā€™t. I keep driving that car, I drive it everywhere. And despite all the emission regulation, punitive taxation, rising oil prices and policies thatā€™s been made clear to support the motor industry at the cost of old machines such as it is. I presevered.

How could I stand to lose the memories? Everytime I sit in the driverā€™s seat. All the good times Iā€™ve ever had come back to me. My dad taking me to places, me taking the test in it, all the roadtrips I ever did, all the commute that Iā€™ve ever done. All the good and bad people whoā€™ve ever come and sit where youā€™re sitting nowā€¦

Even if people starts to change, and we all have to lose someone we dearly love so much some day, thatā€™s natural for this world. However, we can keep the cars, cars that bring the memories we had with those people backā€¦

And even though you will be gone by the morningā€¦ Iā€™ll still remember you sitting here, taking on the journey that they forced you to doā€¦ The journey thatā€™s going to change this country for the better.

Rules.

• Year: 1995
  • 4 Door Sedan/5 Door Liftback Only.
  • Maximum Engine Displacement: N/A 3.5-litre/ Turbo 2.5-litre.
  • Fuel: Unleaded 91 or 95 only.
  • Catalytic Converter required.
  • No Limit on Price
  • No limit on PU/ET
  • Must post an advert (just the car full name is required).

Guide.

• Looks is very important. Iā€™m not looking for beauties as much as tasteful.
  • The buyer in 1995 was 55 years old. And it will be reflected that it was so.
  • I will choose the car based on the perspective of the buyer, as well as the hindsight. The story does dictate that the car must be able to last well enough to survive 2 decades of motoring. Not only through reliability, but also to the passion of itā€™s owner.
  • Donā€™t make the car too big, or too small. Iā€™d suggest anything with length between 4-metres and 5-metres is okay. But I wouldnā€™t rule out the car that goes above (but will likely not go below).
  • I do not have specific type of build in mind. This means the option is indeed quite varied. You can make a relatively fast, sporty little premium compact, or a small engine battle tank that last a billion years.
  • If you have not caught on reading the story above. The main criteria Iā€™m looking for this round is an 80ā€™s or 90ā€™s icon. It should be something that people want to cherish, but not too special that it wonā€™t ever get use.
  • Is there any car to aim for? Why yes there is! Alfa Romeo 155, Audi 80, Audi 100, Audi A6, BMW E36, BMW E34, BMW E32, Citroen Xantia, Citroen XM, Fiat Croma, Fiat Tempra, Ford Mondeo, Ford Sierra, Ford Granada, Ford Scorpio, Honda Accord, Honda Legend, Hyundai Sonata, Jaguar XJ X300, Lancia Dedra, Lancia Thema, Lexus ES, Lexus LS, Mazda 626, Mazda 929, Mitsubishi Galant, Mitsubishi Diamante, Nissan Gloria, Nissan Cedrid, Nissan Cefiro, Nissan Skyline, Nissan Bluebird, Peugeot 405, Peugeot 605, Renault R21, Renault 25, Renault Laguna, Renault Safrane, Rover 620, Rover 820, Saab 900, Saab 9000, Seat Toledo, Subaru Impreza WRX, Subaru Legacy, Toyota Carina II, Toyota Chaser, Toyota Mark II, Toyota Crown, VW Passat, Volvo 940, Volvo 960, and Volvo 850. All of these cars can be a viable goal to meet.

Tips.

• If itā€™s not in the rule, itā€™s not required.
  • This again is a highly subjective round. And a highly realistic one as well. Be sensible, be VERY sensible.
  • Stats are important, but not THAT important. As I said, this is a very subjective round. Do not go for absolute number.

Deadline for entries is 18th December @ 17:00 GMT.

16 Likes

A mid-90s executive car? Iā€™m inā€¦again! But once again I will need to decide what form it should take. Which inevitably means a lot of serious thought before I finally submit my entry.

Edit: I wonā€™t be showing any unused entries for this round at all; I have no need to do so.

And then show us the 28 cars that ā€œshould have enteredā€? :rofl:

9 Likes

Hmm, Interesting, Iā€™m Currently at 1995 in the Lite Campaign (IIRC Itā€™s the farthest Iā€™ve gotten in the LC so far) so I Plan on making something that can be used in the LC & CSR, Iā€™m planing something along the lines of a Ford Crown Victoria, IIRC I made something similar for a past CSR but not sure what round it was.
Edit: After using the Search Function, it was CSR37 Hosted by @Rk38 that I Attempted on making a Crown Vic (Granted the one I tried to make then was somewhat based on both the LTD Crown Vic & the newer one, instead of just the newer one)

'95 Mercalli M32 Premier

From the parent company of Macale Motori comes the Mercalli M32 Premier, our mid-sized premium offering from 1995. Featuring a full premium interior with CD player and advanced safety systems, plus ABS and traction control, and powered by a smooth yet punchy 3.2L I6 mated to a five-speed automatic gearbox, this mid-range premium sedan is a classy, comfortable cruiser with a sporty side to it. Yours for just $17k.

1 Like

Surprise, surprise. Itā€™s the 1995 Bonham Chaucer.

As stated in a previous round:

A bit over one year ago, the Automation forums saw the first showcase of Bonham Cars, in the form of the 1995 Bonham Chaucer and its subsequent trims. It was widely-praised for its great looks and well-rounded range, which went from a small economical estate all the way through to the 2.8 Brooklands trim shown here.

The standard straight-six engine was destroked, allowing it to rev upwards of 8,000 rpm. This meant the engine lost some of its capacity, going down from 3.0 litres to 2750 cc. However the newly found revs, combined with the Variable Cam Profile technology, means this car is able to produce 298 hp, driven through a 6-speed manual gearbox to the rear wheels. Oh, yes, this is very much a drivers car. Yet there is also space for your dogs.

It costs Bonham just 17,900 to make one of these, be sure to pick yours up.

Estate 2.8 Brooklands model shown, actual entry is the 3.0 4-door saloon.

12 Likes

The Erin Berlose. For the stately gentleman-going-through-a-mid-life-crisis in your life.

Comfortable and made for cruising; stature and pertinence without arrogance; making a statement without shouting about it. The Berlose is the definitive British executive saloon*.

And this one is special; itā€™s the one withe 2.8l V6, only made from 1994 to 1997. Delivering it is Erinā€™s stellar 90s 5 Speed Auto, with 4 driving gears and an overdrive. Smooth power, exceptional comfort, but still enough guts to be good fun to drive too. Relaxing when you need it, engaging when you want it to be.

$22500

*Itā€™s supposed to be a 5 series/E Class competitor, but ever so slightly smaller.

13 Likes

Cornaldie Automotive 95ā€™ Magari SL

For the Men who love the finer things in life, but also knows how to balance their life. With 200 hp and a 6 speed manual, you can really enjoy any drive. But with brute force and enjoyment, comes exquisite design and sophistication. You wont be an overstatement, but you also wonā€™t be neglected; and most importantly, you wont break your back!

MSRP: 18.8K @0% markup

6 Likes

For the discerning gentleman, the Centauri Comet LS features a innovative but unusual 3.5 OHV V8 mounted for FWD designed for comfort,control,and durability this small v8 will burble along all day, and everyday without a care, making 200lbft @2600 rpms and 156hp @5000rpms, this is a car that will proceed rather than accelerate. But itā€™s not just a car to doze off in, with a 6 speed manual and limited slip differential if you wanted to drive hard the Comet will be happy to follow, with a chassis tuned by CPV we have managed to give you the handling prowess of a sport saloon without the thirst or harsh ride stiffness you might expect. Around the top gear track itā€™s able to place between the Mondeo st220 and the Volvo S60R even with itā€™s 80-150hp deficit to those cars, and it will still return 24mpg US combined on regular gas. and with Centauri reliability you can be sure this oneā€™s keys will be passed down to your grandchildren someday.
$17400@0%

(@doncornaldie I love that styling in yellow, great job. )

4 Likes

1995 Merciel Verona

ā€œIn fair Verona, where we lay our sceneā€¦ā€

The Verona, the quintessential premium sedan. Practical and economical for the daily drive, comfortable and easy to drive along the twisting side roads and nimble and lively when you want to push it. Not much can match the Veronaā€™s prowess.

Underneath, is the 3.0L Merciel straight 6 mated to a 6 speed manual transmission. Reliable, with a smooth power delivery, the car will easily reach 148mph while keeping a nice economical 29 mpg.

And for only $15,300 (@ 0%) $19,890 (@ 30%). The bargain of the century.

11 Likes

I agree with this one - it looks like the offspring of an E36 M3 and an Alfa GTV. And from what I can recall, emissions are not much of a concern.

Thank you. @abg7 pretty much a bit of the 155, M3 and the xj fused into one with my personal touches.

1 Like