The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

@Madrias made something which, with its blood-red paint and extremely aggressive styling, looks like it could be driven by Satan himself. It’s no worse for that, though. In contrast, my car is far more understated, and in white it looks very much like the four-wheeled embodiment of an angel, which is even more obvious due to being mid-engined (a configuration I selected for superior traction - I recorded an 0-60 mph time of 2.8 seconds!).

Although the body I chose did not leave much room for a large engine when using an AWD drivetrain, I still got plenty of power out of a relatively small engine thanks to the magic of turbocharging. In short, the SCR4 is very much like a Ford RS200, but even faster and far more advanced. @Darkshine5 also tried the same approach as me (mid-engined AWD turbo) but my car is far cheaper, and is actually safer due to it using a larger, newer body. While a carbon tub was too expensive, carbon panels on an aluminum tub wasn’t, so I went with that.

nothing to see here no more

soooooo… apparently, my car is over weight, a bit underpowered, below budget, over prestiged, and slooooooooowwwww…

just how badly? mine and @HighOctaneLove have weighty beasts

2.2tons+

…ouch

For reference, my car only weighs <1.6 metric tons, which helps economy, performance and handling. Props to whoever built a shooting brake for this contest and kept its weight under 4000 lbs (just over 1.8 metric tons)

Yep, body choice is a difficult thing. Looks like the natural advantages of my usual body are probably going to pan out above the more recent additions.

The 2006 Rennen Kusanagi was a revolutionary step in Rennen's history. While all previous Kusanagi's made after 1980 came with AWD as standard, this Kusanagi is the first to have an electronically controlled differential as well as the first to have a V12 engine. Styling was also a standout, with it being completely different and much more angular than all previous models. A 5.0 Liter Twin-Turbocharged V12 lied in the middle of the car and provided the car with over 540 horsepower and over 560 lb-ft of torque. A true supercar made with the care and precision as all Rennen models are.
9 Likes

@titleguy1 your car looks ace… So does mine. However, you only made 540 bhp from a 5-litre V12; I managed 100 bhp more from a 4-litre V8, and in a smaller body less conducive to AWD layouts.

Choosing the not-McLaren body (available by default) also gives you more desirability in 2006 compared to the not-Lambo body (the newer one, available through the Steam Workshop); the latter is available from 2000 onwards, two years before the former, although it’s your only choice if you want an AWD mid-engined car which can accommodate big engines (including those with more than 8 cylinders). Seriously, you can’t go far wrong with either of them for this challenge.

Luckily, market desirability and any safety penalty are not things I’m looking at in this challenge, so older bodies can perform just as well as new ones.
I definitely want to see variety with the entries, which is why I made the restrictions based on certain stats rather than the possible configurations. Except for AWD/4x4, because that’s quite important in Canada. Enough so that AWD sedans, minivans, and even some coupes are not uncommon to see, and many Canadians have a 4x4 SUV or pickup to drive during the winter.

Random “while I’m lying in bed” question: you specify needs to have Advanced safety, but how important is the quality of these measures? Just so it passes Fruinian requirements, or is more better? I’m trying to get a feel for just how much I should offset the performance with “daily niceties” such as interior trim and safety, because as it stands, I’ve had a lot of practice with M-AWD turbo drivetrains and could obviously on the budget I could wipe the floor on the track but that’s not even half this challenge.

As it stands I feel my best approach would probably be to do what @abg7 has done… just better :stuck_out_tongue:

This is all I have to say about that in the ruleset, so it’s up to your own interpretation of what I’m looking for. As older bodies have a safety penalty, I prefer to have a safety requirement instead of a safety score to avoid a bias against using anything old.

I’ve got something interesting in mind for this challenge… it’s not going to be the fastest car for sure, but it will be unique :smiley:

How much better? We’ll have to wait and see until you’ve revealed your entry - mine is so quick off the mark that hardly anything will ever see which way it went… I hope you rise to the challenge.

Clearly, you’re new :smile: doing this challenge an AWD super car challenge is pretty much giving the 1st place to Strop from the beginning… Unless Strop decide to experiment and make a sensible choice, which seems unlikely since he wants to win so bad. Now, I’m reallly thinking about let pass this one, it’s pretty much out of what I can build, I really suck at building super cars.

Also, I get that one the functions of the forum is to express ourselves, share our techniques and learn about other ideas of car building… but dude, @abg7 you talk too much kind, of like this (from around 0:20 to 0:50) https://youtu.be/-YNW7IQgOIg
I see you’re a nice person and obviously you don’t have to change for my comment, but I just wanted express myself

1 Like

The challenge, huh? I don’t like to use my own name in vain, but in time, you will come to realise who you’re talking to :wink:

6 Likes

I wish I could have “liked” the comment more than once. :smiley:

It’s not just you and I who feel optimistic about winning this challenge. Apparently, everyone else does.

It would be a shame if @Sillyworld skipped this round… he could use my expertise in building a proper supercar (especially an AWD one). :laughing:

The expression “poking the bear” springs to mind for no apparent reason…