The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

fuck that’s long, brb. reading.

edit: okay. done

but

Hell, you don’t have to imagine the car is a person. You could
just want to have sex with the car itself. Or any other animate or
inanimate being/object. I won’t judge

WHY?!?!
also, though long, it’s a really interesting read. nice going @strop :slight_smile:

Woah, wall of text alert! Not bad though, after reading through the whole thing it makes sense to me. Definitely like the idea of having a choice between a daily driver or an insane hypercar. I also like the idea of incorporating engineering time, that statistic is very underused in most of the competitions we have currently. This is going to be an interesting challenge.

I definitely want more clarification on the engineering time for specific parts, exactly what will be affected and what won’t.

Now this is a real grade-AAA challenge… But this one will bring enormous rewards to whoever gets it right, and will be deeply satisfying to anyone who can build insane hypercars or extremely mild economy cars without going over budget.:slight_smile:

I saw what you did there, you’re testing some ideas for the hyper car shout-out… Or so it seems.

I have a question, can I make the esthetical stuff and some else the tuning?

I might take you up on that offer :slight_smile: I have some ideas myself, but you can send me what you make and I’ll see if it fits :wink:

1 Like

to be honest im kinda confused how im gonna approach with all the long list of rules and preference plus im gonna be busy with family business and BRC plus there no price limit and only factory setting

i might take this but im not gonna play on supercar game because i dont have too much time to tinker

This doesn’t make sense, since both downforce tray and active aero fall under the aerodynamics quality slider. Are we supposed to specify where the quality goes towards?

Also, currently the aerodynamics slider doesn’t affect engineering time. Lol.

i really wanna submit the phyton fighter again here. but it’s just in the middle of ‘not enough tinkering’ and ‘not super enough’, though it is a super hatchback.

@sillyworld i could take you up on your offer. but what car are you targeting though?

Just for reference, I built a test car to replace Mephisto (not yet finalized for submission) in the current stable release (build 160420) which takes far less engineering time and production units (both for the engine and the entire car) than Mephisto does. Moreover, it meets all of your requirements and has a genuinely bold, titillating shape that draws onlookers wherever it goes - very quickly, since it has over 1,200 bhp - all sent to the rear wheels. And it’s red - a deep yet strong metallic red to be exact. Did I mention that its comfort score is >40, its sportiness is 84 exactly, it is 25% more economical than Mephisto, the engine easily fits in its compartment, and its drivability score is well over 20 despite the massive surge in torque early on in the rev range? One final point: it certainly isn’t American, despite my patriotic sentiment.

i’ve got a car ripe and ready, but i’ll hold fire until a little later

Am I allowed to play?

Well someone had to do it, didn’t they

everyone is welcome but only one roundmaster per round/thread so feel free to sent your entry

Are you sure about that? Even my 55mpg shitbox has running costs of $1412 in Gasmea. Fruinia is a little lower but I have no idea how a 30mpg car can get running costs that low.

it’s OBVIOUSLY running on dream power and the will to not break down in a Toyota

That thing in the bottom left looks a bit… strange

I may have a few ideas in mind.

Question: Would Kai prefer being able to drop the top and enjoy a nice Australian day, or prefer a traditional solid-roof design, given the same performance figures?

Note: I have a few graphics bits to insert that will illustrate the process a lot more concisely. Then we will be able to begin.

@abg7: Just remember, “less engineering units than Mephisto” is not that meaningful unless it’s sufficiently low enough that Kai can actually tinker with the car. What this means exactly I will go into more detail as this has generated some questions.

I’m not adverse to advertising without a product since I made a lot of chatter a couple of rounds previously, but regardless, I’m interested in the goods over the talk.

Now is a good time to add that Australians tend to have a severe case of a certain strain of Tall Poppy syndrome. You’re only allowed to talk big after serving big, get the order wrong and you’ll face a steep uphill battle. Kai is a Scandanavian living in Australia. Scandanavians live by the Law of Jante, which doubly frowns on talking yourself up. Obviously this is a bit different when it comes to Gryphon Gear because they went out of their way to be as obnoxious as possible to create a stir, but the bottom line is, if you go that route you’re going to need some serious ammunition.

@Denta This round will be an extended round and the flowchart + graph will make it a lot easier. The main difficulty in this round are the hidden pitfalls of freedom.

No, but the components picked make a difference. A +0 downforce undertray will, for our purposes, be a slight annoyance but like a semi and fully clad undertray, it can be removed without too much difficulty. The more high tech it is, the harder it will be to deal with. This obviously is irrelevant if the car has no undertray.

I’ll post a more complete list of “things that make the car harder to tinker with” shortly.

There’s a few bits and pieces that don’t count where they should, and that’s why the figures are going to be ballpark, and also why I’m looking at the choices you make individually.

Yes, but you’ll have to decide between yourselves who does the hosting should you win. I’m not adverse to joint hosting but only if we’re confident it won’t cause scheduling lapses.

Because I’m not a judgemental person :wink:

Yes, you can join in any round at any time before the round’s specified deadline. This round hasn’t had a deadline set just yet.

@lordvader1 DIDN’T BUY LOL

Sorry, I provided ballpark figures that also span several years, which means a pretty broad range. Please note, old cars and collectibles carry heft insurance penalties, which, depending on your approach, may or may not be important. You’ll have to look past the numbers and think real life for that, sorry.

Your image isn’t showing. Also, I really need to post the story about the Kusanagi soon…

Good question. I would say the presence or absence of a drop top is a net neutral thing in itself, so it’s up to you. As long as it looks sexy, and not superfluous or dumb, like making a convertible Holden Astra.

1 Like

Any word on how much markup we should set for our cars?