The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

Lol I also made a car called Comrade once upon a time, for a Communist racing challenge.

New influx of entries hey? If I recall correctly the deadline is in about 15 hours. Most likely I will accept entries that are late anytime between that and when I wake up the next day (anywhere between an 8-12hr extension), but that extension is not definite, so you should aim to be safe rather than sorry!

1 Like

this was from back when my steam tag made it impossible for me to export files lol, so it was a failure in many respects

I think @nerd just made a new friend.

1 Like

There should be no question. Standing before the Peregrino with Petter and Lars, I admired the work they had put into it. A totally insane, naturally aspirated beast pumping out 1300hp with a 1:1 power to weight ratio capable of pulling 1,5G in the corners should be enough.

But this is for Kai. And Kai already has the Ascension Mephisto in his garage, sharing living quarters with Toothless. Toothless needs to go.

I walk over to where Trygve and Espen are standing next to the alternative and take a look at the numbers. Itā€™s not gonna be the most driveable or the sportiest, the most comfortable or the safest. Running costs arenā€™t especially good, and Iā€™m sure there are more reliable and prestigious options available for Kai. It is probably not the best in any single category when you look at statistics. It would be madness to enter this car, wouldnā€™t it? Exceptā€¦

This car has proper racing pedigree. Based on the ABR Roadrunner that participated in BRC '66 with the proper modifications to make it street legal. This is actually the frame from race 1 through 7 where the engine blew up. A racecar with 3 podium finishes, including a victory at Silverton. A car that wouldā€™ve finished 2nd total if not for the total muck-up by Puffster in strategy settings. What could be more suiting than a road legal racecar for a racing driver? Besides, with some bodywork and new paint it isnā€™t exactly foul to look at

With pop-up headlights and modern taillights it is a restomodern racecar, everything customized for this one-off exclusive rebuild

Seeing as the engine blew up when this car was last driving, it has now been fitted with a 2001 2JZ-GTE delivering 325 HP. The advantage with these engines are parts availability and potential. Since Kai likes to tinker and tune his cars himself, Espen has gathered some replacement parts and tuner settings for the engine under variants should Kai feel the urge for more power.

Like the engine, the rest of the car is set up for tinkering and tuning. The diff is geared and the transmission is known to be able to take a beating. Top speed set way to high for original engine, but more appropriate for tuned version of engine. Same goes for cooling level and such. Springs and dampers are passive with a semi-aggressive setup for inspired driving. The rims are 17" and can be switched for bigger or smaller depending on preference.

Seeing how this is a one of a kind car, price is not as relevant, but we will need 25000$ to cover expenses.

This is not sensible. This is pure passion.

6 Likes

Ah and here I was hoping for a top 3 finish pity lol

Whatā€™s special about the 2017 Pearlite Visceral V12?

Itā€™s unlike anything else weā€™ve made before. An homage to our past and our future. A perfect blend of old school and new school. A sense of respect for the driver and the garage tinkerer.
The sonorous roar of a V12 revving to 9200RPM. The fury of 644 horses sent to all four wheels. The swift 3.4 second acceleration and 200mph top speed. All achieved with tuning and tinkerability in mind.

To achieve this vision, Pearlite teamed up with Meliora Automotive to design a car that is stunning and unique. At once modern and retro, aggressive yet refined. We pass on our passion to you.

Presenting the Pearlite Visceral V12. A car built by enthusiasts, for enthusiasts. Simple. Pure. Bliss.

11 Likes

coughcoughcoughGroupBcouhgcoughcough

@phale on the other hand, a bit of critique and a bit blunt but, iā€™d say your car is a car thatā€™s nor sure where itā€™s aimed for.
i mean, i donā€™t think itā€™s exclusive or crazy enough to replace memphisto, but not ā€˜practicalā€™ enough for a daily.

the way i see this round, thereā€™s 3 proper approaches

• try to replace memphisto with another crazy supercar strategy. but may or may not do something a little different about it
  • try to replace toothless strategy and this is where other approaches can be acknowledged, but could be in this category
  • just make something stupid or super interesting, or something that no one expected.

and iā€™m not seeing your car fitting in any of these 3 approachesā€¦ unless, thereā€™s something rather unexpected.

@phale mightā€™ve gone for an ultra-fun-to-drive daily. The gas mileage, while not the greatest, isnā€™t exactly terrible (If I drive my '05 shitbox like I stole it, I get worse than that, so thatā€™s my counterpoint), and it looks decently fun to drive, given the high sportiness and drivability. Sure, itā€™s not exactly practical, but we were told that Kaiā€™s not exactly a practical person. Heā€™s brought something unusual to the party, a car with a wheel in both worlds, not to replace Mephisto, but to replace the daily with something that wonā€™t get vandalized.

Itā€™s a bold strategy, and I think he deserves kudos for it.

2 Likes

maybe i really just canā€™t see it.
i donā€™t think a v12 is very ā€˜tinkerableā€™, especially with their already high engineering time to start with.

at best i can see it as a super fun car to drive, a but a pain to do anything with it

well I just donā€™t like v12ā€™s everyone always uses them etc. But i like @phale car alot It looks like a 95-00 mustang cobra to me and I always wanted one but Australia lol

i think @phale has come from a totally different approach to all of us.

itā€™s not quite a silly bugger hypercar, but itā€™s easily tinkerable into one.

1 Like

Iā€™ll withhold comment on that part for the time being :wink: However I will say that cars of all classes can potentially end up replacing Toothless and sitting alongside Mephisto. It takes a concentrated power of will and a feat of magic to end up with something so bonkers and impractical that youā€™d have to replace Mephisto because the carā€™s virtually unstreetable (there are a few candidates among this tier).

2 hours until declared deadline, and a quick reminder please, because I was too disorganised to get the word out: could you please give me the projected price and markup of your cars, plus how many units per year you intend to produce? If I donā€™t get an answer Iā€™ll take values from the market tab, but if there is none then Iā€™ll have trouble writing your flavour text. This part has minimal impact on the actual challenge itself, itā€™s more for immersion.

Also a piece of good news: Kai appears to be okay with the designs of most of the cars. A couple of you were unfortunately unlucky to fall afoul of his tastes and in one case prejudice, Iā€™ll try to make it up to you with hilarity and impartiality when assessing the rest of the car itself.

2 Likes

Oh, now Iā€™m nervous. I know my design isā€¦ Rather American in its rootsā€¦

don;t worry that means me lol with my caveman tech

oh god mineā€™s lost then :laughing:

yup. i got shit looks but okay everything else

hopes of winning: .5-.10%

edit: fixed chances

Okay everybody, Iā€™ve finally gone through all of the entries. Iā€™m going to bed now, and itā€™s technically past the deadline, but Iā€™ll close it when I get back to the computer, so if you have anything last-minute, NOW is the time to fix it.

Please check your name is in this list:

@Madrias
@darkshine5
@Klinardo
@NormanVauxhall
@JohnWaldock
@Fayeding_Spray
@abg7
@HighOctaneLove
@CamKerman
@AirJordan
@puffster
@Phale @Sillyworld
@findRED19
@Der_Bayer
@titleguy1
@koolkei
@rcracer11m
@oppositelock
@thecarlover
@Rk38

If your name is there, I have your entry. If you havenā€™t already done so, please give me car price, markup and number of units per year!

2 Likes

Shit youā€™re right. I was wondering where the hell it went. Better go check my PMs again.

Haha, I never thought my approach was anything out of the ordinary :slight_smile: My thought process was basically this: build the car with the best combination of streetability and va-va-voom, without sacrificing tinkerability. Since Kai didnā€™t need a whole lot of practicality or comfort, I erred more on the side of va-va-voom. And I think more power from the start would appeal to Kaiā€™s tastes :wink:

wellā€¦ i guess sooā€¦ but still, v12 starts with a relatively high engineering time though, that has to impact on something.