The Crowd Sourcing Competition [Round 49]

Thanks for hosting! Always good to try something different, I knew the grille had to be larger but obviously it was just a little too large. Maybe I was also too concept like with the tail lights and yes that plate holder was probably the worst bit of the car. fucking brake calipers man, I always forget I think the car might of been slightly too upmarket. Some good write ups though!

Yo at least my brake calipers weren’t fucking red :joy:

5 Likes

Thanks for hosting yangx2, glad you liked my design. Unfortunately I won’t be able to host due to being busy, so please, @titleguy1 and others, do CSC26.

3 Likes

As a human who has just started their second semester at university uhhhh imma pass this offer to @Dorifto_Dorito

3 Likes

Sorry for the late response, Ive been a bit busy as of recent, but I should be able to host.

8 Likes

CSC 26: A Blast from the Past

The Brief

The year is 2001, next year will be the 90th anniversary of Merciel, one of the largest companies in France. To celebrate such a momentous moment, Merciel designers plan to make a “retromodern” concept of one of their most popular cars, the Modèle '49. However, due to financial issues in the company, many experienced staff members had to laid off and as such Merciel have been forced to outsource the design for this concept car.

Your task is to create a retromodern design based on the Modèle '49.

Note: This round is purely about the design and as such, engineering doesn't matter. However if you give me something with dumb engineering I will have a laugh.

Requirements

• The model year must be 2002

• The body must be a hatchback

• The design must resemble the Modèle '49 in some way

Suggestions

• Don’t go all the way and make it look like you copy and pasted the a 40s design onto a 2002 body. I want a retromodern design. Keyword being modern.

• Also even though the main design must resemble the Modèle '49, feel free to take inspiration from other Merciel designs.

• Feel free to look through the Merciel forum thread for inspiration: Merciel S.A Archives

• As for other cars I’ve made that haven’t been posted on the main Merciel thread, Ill post them below.

Styling

If you want a closer look at the Modèle '49 the download link is below.
Merciel Modele 1949 - Modele 49.car (70.4 KB)

Below are some cars that aren’t posted on the main Merciel thread. The Merciel 110 and 200 are more examples of popular old Merciels and the 2800 is an example of late 90s and early 2000s Merciel styling and may also be the only example I have…

1966 Merciel 110/112

1956 Merciel 200

1998 Merciel 2800

EDIT: The Merciel logo uses this fixture but upside down and a bit thinner .
image image

Naming convention ofc is the standard.

Model: CSC 26 - [forum username]
Trim: Free
Engine: Free
Variant: Free

Entries will be accepted on the 31st January and the deadline will be 7th February unless further stated.

If you have any questions/alterations you want to make, please list them down below. Good luck and have fun.

EDIT: Before anyone asks, no resubmitting. Thank you.

EDIT 2: For further clarification, the deadline is 23:59 GMT on February 7th

13 Likes

For the concept car, do you want a more balls-to-the-wall kind of concept, or one that is a bit more subdued and may end up actually becoming a production model?

Would be nice if that is clarified as a few of us in the Discord are a bit confused on that front.

Just in case you’re not on discord, I would prefer something closer to a production ready concept.

If you want an example:

11 Likes

Merciel Modele 49 by Cailloux Studio

Some closer pics

9 Likes

Merciel Legacy 90 Concept by Mexaco design

The front of the Legacy 90 concept takes cues from the original with simple, large headlights, connected by a contour line, however, the concept has been sculpted to more accurately reflect the needs of a modern body, and is less glaring than a simple straight bar. The yellow fog lights are also carried over in spirit of the original.

Around back, the short tail lights are reminiscent of the old car, however, it is been incorporated with cutting edge full glass hatch for a more modern and striking look. Grille effect has also been placed underneath the hatch, as well as vents on the bottom, to harken back to the rear-engined original.

Lastly, down the side profile, the straight line running from the front door to the rear lights remain, as a tribute to the original 49, with retro-inspired door handles to give the feel of really entering an older car. The wheel covers as well serve this purpose. Lastly, the body-colored wheels make the Legacy 90 concept stand out among small cars, serving as both a retro touch and popping out in any modern setting.

6 Likes

49’s, 49’s everywhere

3 Likes

Merciel Modèle 49 by Lünnerden Design

2 Likes

nice and clean, no caffeine.

moar

5 Likes

This is awesome but looks more 2020 than 2002.

1 Like

Katsuro Design Studios Proudly Presents the All New 2002 Merciel 3000 RS Concept

Designed to represent the ideal point of entry into the Marciel brand by presenting new and curious drivers with exquisite styling, capable performance from a 1.1 litre turbo petrol engine that’s quite peppy, excellent economy, and practicality.

The front fascia carries the spirit of 1949 model with its curvy aesthetics offset by a rectangular grill.

The rear carries the oval tailights of its predecessor, but now with a modern approach. This top of the line RS concept also gets a two tip sports exhaust and trunk spoiler. The spoked alloy wheels compliments the overall sporty design of the RS model. Efficiency doesn’t have to be boring.

2 Likes
Merciel Jaspier
An instant classic

Breaking away from the strong retromodern temptations, the Jaspier still has single bulbs and modern inspired grilles. The car is much more eco than it probably will end up being, but up to 84mpg is fantastic.

15 Likes

this is disgusting

4 Likes

2002 Merciel Concept Quarante-Neuf

13 Likes

much beaner

2 Likes

You don’t have to post twice or just edit the OP.