The Crowd Sourcing Competition [Round 49]

Waaat… I have no idea.

here is my Zavir Squalo anyway while you work that out… can you send me a message when you click my name? the red box just isnt there for you

2 Likes

Did you get my message? If yes, please try to reply there, if no, let me know here or on Discord.

1 Like

I wonder if i should make sonething, this could be an easy claim.

Please do so, every entry is welcome. And I already know your high styling skills with modern cars, now it would be interesting to see how you can deal with 90s avant garde :wink:

@Hshan would it be worth extending the deadline a few days to try and get more entrys

I agree with extending the deadline, would give me a chance to enter something as well.

Deadline’s extended till March 20th

That’s Friday. Also, due to coronavirus prevention I was forced to go back to my family home, away from my PC, so I have only a potatobook at my disposal. It runs the game (barely), but don’t expect any new images from me in the reviews, I’ll use what y’all provide :smile: Fortunately I have the first entry already reviewed. Also please post an ad here first, and then I’ll contact you in PM for the car - that’s due to - I guess persisting - problem with sending me messages without prior conversation.

1990 ZAVIR SQUALO

Additional images

24 Likes

Zavir Squalo by Propeller

6 Likes

36 hours left

< 50 k total, < 1 k service costs, > just good

I feel like I forgot something

5 Likes

8 hours left

With no last minute entry the results will appear right after the deadline.

1 Like

Nuova Zavir Squalo 8.40

Just for fun! :rofl: (It’s a little bit small for US market…)

3 Likes

Time’s out, results are in

@mart1n2005

Here’s the proposal of the first design team, and it immediately raises some eyebrows - it’s so small! It’s just over 180 in*, so more fitting for the midsize Espada than the flagship Squalo. It is mostly nicely consistent, though with one quirk being the rear light bar - it has rounded endings, while there’s nothing really round but the wheels on the rest of the car. The styling is also quite elegant and definitely fitting a luxury car but it is too boxy and chromey for a bold, modern design. In fact it looks more like something that would be on the market right now, and since a few years at that - an 80s car, not 90s.
Looking underneath the shiny exterior reveals some more surprises. The prototype has a relatively simple, cheap suspension - and while the management wants to cut costs, they aren’t convinced if such a drastic step is right. A short test drive increases their doubts about the idea, as the ride quality is just average. They are examining the interior closely, but they deem it good enough - nothing spectacular, but the customers will likely be content.
Finally comes the time for the cost predictions, and they are expectable - the car is very cheap to make for a luxury sedan, just as it’s doubtfully luxurious. In the end it seems that the engineers mixed something up and instead of a new Squalo, made a revised Espada.

@CorsicaUnknown

It’s time for the second prototype and… oh my, it surely IS bold, and surely is modern! And small? Roughly the size of the first one… “Hey, did we give the teams the correct brief?”- that issue is left for later. The sleek lines easily catch attention, and give the car a prestigious appearance. There are elements hinting at its Zavir identity, yet the design looks fresh. Bigger than average rims (though steel? weird), a subtle hood bulge and a pronounced crease make it look dynamic enough, without being vulgar. Shiny, black pillars and massive rear light cluster finish off the modern, bold styling.
The technicals aren’t as breathtaking - just normal construction, reasonable suspension, no questionable choi-… wait a minute, geared LSD? The engineers quickly explain that it’s there to help traction, when all that power from the new V8 kicks in - in tests the car proven itself to be well handling and easily accelerating. The management is satisfied so far. It doesn’t last long though, as they get in for a little test drive, and notice the interior - not only inevitably small, but also more basic than they’ve expected. At least it has most of the modern gadgets and gimmicks they wished for, and the team responsible for the prototype says that there’s plenty of safety features too.
All that combined results in a package that, a bit surprisingly, could be produced as cheaply as the previous one, while being mostly better - but still, more fitting for a lower tier model. A great looking and riding, yet just a nicely specced midsize.

@Mikonp7

Next! Yeah, definitely there was some miscommunication - another small one. It splits opinions - some managers think it’s too restrained, others say it’s timeless. Maybe all are right? The car is modern and elegant, yet not shouty, quite discreet in fact. It has a bit of American presence - hood bulge surely helps that - but there are also slight traces of Italian style in those slanted, definite lines. There are also features hinting at its Zavir identity, but not overly pronounced. Overall it’s not exactly what the management expected, however it is worth considering.
The spec sheet of the prototype looks promising - partial alu panels, advanced suspension all around and… AWD? It could be nice addition in worse road conditions, but the management isn’t sure if it’s necessary. A short test drive reveals the car’s best aspect - it’s comfort. Interior is great (despite being small), modern equipment is there, transmission is smooth, ride quality is high. Fancy suspension pays off, even if it’s not the most reliable or easy to service solution. It helps the handling, too. Good impression is slightly damaged when the ride ends - brakes are sharp, like from a sports car. A good luxury car, with just details to improve… and repack in a larger body.
This one, technically better than the previous two, is also more costly - and by a good margin. Yet it still means it’s quite inexpensive, safely within the intended range. Even enlarging it shouldn’t raise the cost above average, and then it would be a proper luxury car - though in a modest style.

@Slyo_vom_Pluto

The next vision of the new Squalo is definitely the right size, with over 200” length and a 115” wheelbase. It’s nicely round and aerodynamic with a low, slanted front. But that’s where the good points of the styling more or less end, unfortunately - it looks weird, and not in a good way. The upper front fascia is definitely from a Zavir, but a sad Zavir. The bumpers both look like they’re taken from a sports car, as does the hood with 8 vents… but also a limousine-like standing badge. The wheels are small, considering the size of the car (and made of steel - shame, but a detail), and the greenhouse is bulky. The taillights are too simple and blocky and not really fitting anything.
However the car is not actually bad - it has the correct size, AWD and a wonderful air suspension - sure, it’s a complex and expensive system, but it might actually be worth it. A short ride around proves it - the ride quality is superb and the handling is nice and easy. The weight of a big body shows though, in a slower acceleration. What is less superb is the interior - while it follows the theme of high build quality, it is quite basic and not the best equipped. At least it’s very spacious - here the big greenhouse shows it’s advantage, along with just 2 seats in the back - but those are quite impractical. Oh, and the engineers say that it’s very safe - good. There’s one surprise - the projected service costs are normal, and the reliability is good - all despite advanced chassis.
Cost prediction for this one is good - it’s not expensive, considering that it’s the largest so far. The expense for the nice chassis is balanced by not as nice interior. The car doesn’t make a good impression, yet it definitely has it’s advantages - too bad they’re hidden and noticeable only after taking it for a ride.

@Arn38fr

And finally, the last but not… umm, yeah, not this time. This is just tiny. 175”, almost, just under 100” of wheelbase. This is a compact, and looks like one, but for no good reason fitted with a large V8. It looks like an ordinary compact from all sides save for the rear, which is just blocky. And it has steel rims, to ensure everyone that it’s definitely not a luxury car. “John, fire the designers, please. Today.”
The chassis fits the styling… partially. Bog standard materials, simple suspension setup, though with fancy adaptive bits, and of course RWD coupled with a nicely smooth auto - yeah, there are some bits of a luxury car in this one. One such bit, a good one, is the interior - yes, that is definitely luxurious, loaded with modern gadgets and safety features and well built. And tiny, of course, even 4 seats won’t help that. But that is still the best part of this car, and the best interior among all the prototypes. The brakes are definitely way oversized, handling is just ok though, and the car is quick - no wonder, it’s light.
Costs? Somehow this tiny thing is the most expensive to manufacture and to service of all the candidates. It’s right in the spot for the expected price, but the management would like more of the car for that price. The interior won’t save the whole car.

Results

After examining all the cars it’s time to decide which of the projects will be refined into the production Squalo. Right of the bat the last proposal is ditched, as apart from the interior and its features it was completely not a flagship, luxury car, there’s no doubt about that. Then goes the first one, as it’s quite outdated already with no real redeeming features. Now comes the hard part - all 3 cars left have their pros and cons, all 3 have their strengths. No. 2 looks perfect, the middle one is well-rounded, the penultimate has the right size and ride quality. Each would need serious changes before entering production and it would be best to combine them into one, but there’s no time for that. One has to be chosen and improved. Probably not the large one, as it also needs structural changes for styling reasons - and that defeats one of its advantages at this point. Of the remaining two… The all-rounder and the looker. The former will not make it - restyling it would need more work than refining the latter, and both need elongating. The looker is also simpler, which might be helpful.

So, that is it.

1. @CorsicaUnknown - not only by far the best looking, but technically also quite good car
  2. @Mikonp7 - the best all-rounder
  3. @Slyo_vom_Pluto - that one car which was the right size
  4. @mart1n2005
  5. @Arn38fr

Congrats to Corsica for winning the 29th CSC round :slight_smile:

*- yes, I’m using imperial measurements here, as in the role-play it’s a car designed and judged by Americans.

And now, in a sort of a side note, I have to admit that I definitely didn’t write the best brief - and it isn’t about the overall idea, I think, but its execution. That shows in 4 of 5 cars being way smaller than I expected. 2 being immensely cheaper, other 2 much cheaper than my expectations, as a result of, mostly, not really luxurious equipment. If it was for one or two cars, I’d likely blame the entrants, but if it affects the majority… yeah, then it’s rather my fault. Well, I have next to no experience in hosting challenges, and definitely didn’t expect to host this one (not that it was rushed on my part, no). So, I’d like to know if there’s something else I should improve for future challenges hosted by me other than more concise, clear briefs, with more defined expectations? If you feel it would clutter this thread, write to me on Discord (or DMs, if can send them to me - it seems some people can, others can’t :thinking:).

6 Likes

I must be honest, I did sort of give up with the engineering side after the design was done since. Perhaps the brief should’ve explained how important the engineering side was, or maybe we’re all just idiots :smile: .

Anyways, congrats to Mikonp7, Slyo_vom_Pluto, martin_2005 and Arn38fr on your respective rankings and thank you, Hshan, for 1st place! I will be able to host the next round.

I like the idea of a “big” engine in a “small” car like a Lancia Thema 8-32, a Renault Clio V6 or a VW Golf R32.

Sorry for the steel rim! :rofl::rofl::rofl: This is an oversight!

“The brakes are definitely way oversized” : I had a big problem of brake fade when I reduce brake power… :frowning_face:

My car is very fun to drive in Beamng…

— CSC30 KOREA CALLING

“Really, no department is currently free?”

"Absolutely none. The best we could do is split duties for one of the teams, have them work on two cars at once."

“No. That would slow down progress of both models and that, in this crowded world, is frankly the last thing we want.”

"I see."

“You see boy, we’ve been living in the shadows for years now. Our cars have been consistently outnumbered in the streets by competitors from Aria, Hokuto, Zenshi, Kimura, Holts-”

"I understand, sir."

“-Farox, Saminda, Montes, Shromet-”

"You can stop now"

“-Honghu, Warren, Merciel, Maesima-”

"for the love of god please S̛̓̑̄ͬͣ҉̰̦̭̹͖͚T̵̥̝͔͈̘̼͉͍̑͒͗O̸͔̮̯̙̰͚͊͊P̌̊͏̯͖͔̰̥"

“-Žnoprešk, Tanaka and even Anhultz - We need to launch great cars with consistent output and if you’re not going to abide by that, you can honestly get out, boy.”

"Yeah I understood your point from the first time you said it. The question still stands however, how is the 2020 Convey going to get designed?

“Okay, okay… okay. Let’s think about this. We need to get a design done for a new van, but currently, no one from our company is available to do it. Hmm… Honestly, I have no idea what to do.”

April 2016. Within the bustling headquarters of the Kadett Motor Company in Seoul, CEO Choe Ji-seok is overseeing the final development of multiple important new models, including the Beat compact, Vision luxury and Swing subcompact cars. The multitude of ongoing projects has meant that no current design team is available for the update of the Convey panel van, the current generation of which has been in production since 2010 and is set to receive a thorough update for 2020. You will design the new generation of the Convey for 2020, you will obey to the Automation overlords.

— ART OF DESIGN

Right away, there are three main bodies which I’d consider to be the main choices. I am not discouraging you from experimenting with other bodies however, just don’t fullout meme it.

THE OBVIOUS ONE

Really the only proper modern van we have currently. It’s the most practical and conventional of the three here but also could be the hardest to design for and with the design aim Kadett has been going for in recent years, a dull design on a conventional body could hurt the brand image.

THE SECONDARY OPTION

It’s less practical but again, it’s sleeker. That kinda thing isn’t of high importance to a van-man but could definitely help with the image of the brand.

THE SURPRISINGLY SMART OPTION

It’s more practical than the second body but obviously still falls behind the first body, but not by too much. Designing could be harder than on the second body but easier than on the first body. It’s a world of decisions we live in.

Kadett is a Korean company and as such, Kadett models are conservative with some daring design cues. The most obvious current design theme for the brand is the split grille motif - the front lights are connected with a black bar, the main grille is located below. How that design theme is executed is entirely up to you however, as I fully encourage you to experiment with different shapes and fixtures or maybe even re-invent the Kadett design language.

The examples below should be a good indicator of how each model uses the basic design theme differently, from the lights to the vents and the grille.

Selection of current (2020) Kadett models
2018 AVATREK

2016 SWAY

2020 BEAT

2019 VISION

The Kadett badge is a symbolized K inside a circle, you do not need to replicate this design.

Finally, it’s a van you’re making. There’s no need to stick glowsticks on every panel or put supercar on styling on it, it’s just a van. Don’t get lazy either, the new Convey should be different from the normal van crowd while being restrained enough.

For real life inspiration, here’s some panel vans

— ART OF ENGINEERING

There is none. No pre-given engine, no certain criteria you have to meet. Just design the van, no need to engineer it also.

— SUBMITTING, DEADLINE

Submissions open 21:00GMT+2, 21st of March.

The deadline is March 28th, 21:00 GMT+2 time.

Post an image of your van on this thread and DM the .car file on here or on Discord.

Use the following format for naming your car:

Model Family: CSC30 - Your Username
Model Trim: Kadett Convey
Engine Family: CSC30 - Your Username
Engine Trim: Name is up to you

Good luck to everyone! Let’s see if we can beat the current record of 3 entries.

18 Likes

aAaAa couldn’t even comment on how, as usual, wack my design is ;-;
At least I can’t screw up something as simple as a panel van… right?

Kadett Convey by Atera Design Studio

16 Likes