The 'Everybody is a Reviewer' Showroom

Thanks for reviewing the city car crossover sports thing, I was aiming for a very very very very niche market with this car, this car was a bit of a wild card from our design team after they got a bit jealous of Volkswagens plans to release a sporty UP!, that never happened but we went through with it anyway and well this is the undeniably quirky result, I’m glad you did enjoy it in the end and it is a fun little car to push, I wouldn’t recommend having it as a daily though

1 Like

I was bored, found myself with an abundance of time and a desire to review something. Figured I’d load up this thread and pick something that wasn’t designed to be a supercar.

Also, keep in mind that I’m American, so I’ve got a very American mindset on ‘sporty’ cars. That said, it’d be fun if there was one other car in the garage for your daily. Save the bottom buster for when you’re not having to drive over speedbumps and can enjoy letting all of the 130 horsepower out.

And yeah, niche market cars are hard to pull off. I felt it only fair to review it as someone mostly impartial but left unknowing as to who the city crossover was meant to be for.

2 Likes

Is there an open slot for submission of a car?

Always. That was kinda the premise of this thread, from what I remember. Everyone submits 'em, everyone reviews 'em. Doesn’t have to be in order, just whenever you feel like depositing a car or reviewing one, go right ahead if it’s in this thread.

3 Likes

Awesome. Will leave this here:
ramthecowy - Karakaze.zip (30.8 KB)
you guys are the best

2 Likes

What mods does it use?

Uhh Razyx strip headlights and taillights… don’t know. I’ll get back to you in a little while.

Could I have links to their workshop pages please?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=690540073&searchtext=
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=467570374&searchtext=
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=695759373&searchtext=
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=624371985&searchtext=
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=693909471&searchtext=
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=605971133&searchtext=
that’s all I remember for now, but I know there are more @Dorifto_Dorito

Okay thanks! Ill install them and see the car the way it should be :grin: n.b. Im already looking at it without the mods and it looks impressive.

Reviewing is done!

It’s missing some lights, but that should be fine, the cooling was the main problem (not all the mods but oh well)

Karakaze Review

So here I am, sipping tea while watching BBC Breakfast, and I look out of my window. Sitting outside my house, there’s a behemoth of a car in my drive way, with a note on the window. (I blanked out the return address)

Dear Sir/Madame,
You have been chosen to review this car
If you crash it, you owe me £160,000.
After your review, you are to return it to me, in perfect condition at ---------------.
Yours Sincerely,
@ramthecowy

Well, looks like I’ve got a car to review. It’s probably best not to crash it into anything, I don’t have £160 grand in my bank account.

Styling

From the outside the car looks superb. The curves and the styling are top notch. The headlights looks modern, and is to European standards, with daylight driving lights and fog lights. Getting in the car, the hand-made interior is amazing!, The five luxury seats were so comfortable that I had a hard time forcing my self to get out of the car. The car has a large boot, allowing the rich business men (who are probably the intended market) to store all their golf clubs, with enough space to fit a picnic basket and anything else rich people buy.

Engine

So now that I managed to get out of the seat, I’ll pop open the hood…oh…wow…a huge V12. So the V12, is a 6.86L V12 with DOHC 4 valves, VVL, VVT and twin turbos, and DFI fuel injection. I don’t think turbo and luxury don’t usually go well together, but considering everything else, it might just work. Looking closely, running it on the dyno, the engine redlines at 7000 revs, reaching maximum power (561.6 kW) at 6500 RPM and max torque (8500 Nm) at 5000 RPM. Looking at these performance characteristics, it appears that something has it have been sacrificed. Sadly that would be fuel economy. Not that it would be a problem for some, but in an age where fuel economy is becoming more important, some might be turned off. But as this is for the super-rich, it wont’t affect the sales at all.

How does it drive?

This will be the first time, I’'l be driving a luxury car like this, and considering that it costs £160,000 I better take care when driving.
So, the handling of the car is very good, it navigates corners well, and all the driver assists make the drive very comfortable. The car accelerates very quickly, no thanks of course to the 7 speed double clutch sequential gearing, 0-62mph in 3.7s and has very good brakes, stopping the car from 62mph in about 31m. The top speed of the car is very good for such a heavy car, 228 mph for a car that weighs around 2.5 tonnes. Testing the car in a local race track, the car managed to clock in a very good time, better than most cars that went around the track on that day. The only cars that went around the track faster were dedicated sports cars and tuned cars.

Verdict

Overall, this car is a very nice luxury car. It does what it needs to do perfectly, and no corners were cut in the design of the car. The new modern styling is very nice, and the interior is very good. If I were to have any real problem with this car, it would be the fuel economy. Normally, I would be fine with a sporty car with less than 40mpg, however, 18.9mph is rather low, and considering that the car uses premium 95 RON fuel, it makes the fuel costs skyrocket.

Pros
-Good Handling
-Great Interior+interior styling
-Great Styling in general
-Fast for a heavy car

Cons
-Quite bad fuel economy
-Rather high running costs (mainly due to bad economy)

I give this car a good 9/10
p.s. Don’t mind the small scratch on the driver side door, I totally did not scrape it into a gate on the way home…

4 Likes

Oh brilliant! Thanks for the review, big :heart: to you @Dorifto_Dorito

If people were to buy a 160k car , fuel economy shouldnt be a problem :smile:

2 Likes

So I didn’t get time last week to enter @abg7’s round of the CSR. But I got some time now and decided to rework my entry from CSR25 and refine it a bit more completely changing the most of the chassis materials in the process. I highly doubt it would have been that competitive due it’s uncompromising design and my lack of experience designing supercars. Plus the fact this body was arbitarily banned from this round but here it is anyway ready for review.

GBF Procurro SR8

From the makers of the track focused SR6, we introduce the GBF Procurro SR8 an uncompromising vision offering radically sculpted styling along with all the pleasures of naturally aspirated high performance motoring.

It’s a classic pure performance car formula with a longitudinal, rear mid-engine, rear-wheel-drive design powered by a 8 cylinder naturally aspirated engine with a proper six-speed manual gearbox and electronically controlled limited slip differential.

Aerodynamically styled and sleek design allows it to provide speeds of over 300 km/h while returning 31 MPG ( 38 MPG UK; 7.37L / 100 km) and 0-100 km/h in 2.6 seconds and over 1 g of corner grip at all speeds.

As a track machine two seats is provided along with the highest degree of safety and latest driver assists which of course can be easily deactivated at any time at the driver’s discretion.

We offer this pure driving machine for only $171,200 (50%)

Rk38 - CSR26 - Rk38.zip (30.6 KB)

10 Likes

Would anyone like a review copy of a still factory perfect Brivio Roma? yes? how about one of each of the trims avialble for 1945?

We have had these in our possession since the very beginning, all used to belong to workers at the factory but have since been donated back to use in the last decade

CadillacDave - Roma.zip (63.4 KB)

2 Likes

So I have a car. I’d say this is my first proper car in about a year, so…

It may be terrible.

rileybanks - Mole Abbatoir.zip (24.8 KB)

(It uses Steam mods, specifically Montes Carbon Side Vent, Arco Wing, Shark Roadster, Not-DB10 headlights and Globe Tailights. (I did not realise I had some many mods! 83!))

1 Like

Here is something I cooked up recently:

ahertono - DME32.zip (24.4 KB)

Any and all mods used by this vehicle are available through the Steam Workshop. Also, the car’s price does not include a 25% markup so keep that in mind.

And as for the Mole Abbatoir in the previous post:

First impressions are confusing. This small, bright red, mid-engined sports car is not only awkwardly named (and misspelled to boot), but in addition to having a nose that looks too much like an angry bulldog, its rear end is a bit too plain for my tastes, except for the large rear wing. It does, however have enough presence on the road to make bystanders take notice. At least the huge hood and side vents are functional. Why, then, does the rear window have to be so upright? It doesn’t quite gel with some of the Abbatoir’s other styling aspects.

Under the skin of this little beast lies an AHS steel chassis with alloy panels and double wishbones at all four wheels - typical sports car fare here. A peek under the hood, however, leaves me bemused: in an age where direct injection and variable valve lift are quite common, if not universally adopted, the Abbatoir’s 2-liter, all-alloy, quad-cam, 24-valve V6 has neither of those. At least it has variable valve timing. However, with its cam profile as aggressive as possible, the engine is not only extremely coarse, but consumes fuel almost as quickly as most supercars (with high emissions, to boot), which kind of defeats the point of buying a more affordable car such as this. Even with a stratospheric 9200-rpm redline, the engine could still develop a little more power if (a) the rev limiter were extended further by another few hundred revs, (b) the single exhaust was replaced by a pair of narrower dual exhausts (speaking of which, I can’t even see the outlets!), or (c) both.

With a viscous LSD, six-speed manual gearbox, a modest power output and low curb weight (just under 1.1 metric tons) the Abbatoir seldom struggles for traction, especially with 245/40R17 tires at the back. The 17-inch alloys are tiny by today’s standards, but on the other hand, the reduced diameter suits the car better visually. And what about the brakes? The single-piston solid discs at the rear are actually larger than the three-piston vented discs at the front, leading to unusual handling characteristics, to say the least. I would have preferred if it had a smaller pair of vented rear discs instead.

As I peer inside the interior I realize that despite concessions to safety and a full suite of driving aids (including launch control), this is no daily driver. With standard cloth upholstery on the two seats and an entry-level infotainment system from a budget car, it’s not surprising that I wouldn’t drive this car every day; I’d lose my sanity if I did. Most bizarrely of all, however, the Abbatoir has active suspension and semi-active dampers. There’s a reason the former is seldom, if ever, fitted to lightweight sports cars: in addition to adding more weight and complexity, it also compromises reliability, economy and affordability. At least the suspension is set up to provide a nice balance between oversteer and understeer.

In short, the Mole Abbatoir shows lots of promise, with its racy mid-engined shape, but its coarse, thirsty engine, combined with maintenance-intensive and overly complex suspension prevent me from recommending it, even though it costs less than $15k with a 10% markup. However, with some more sensible design and engineering choices, especially on the aesthetics, engine and suspension, and probably a more fitting (and correctly spelled) name, the Abbatoir would, at the very least, give an Elise a run for its money.

1 Like

Sorry for the double post but I’m pretty sure that this thread is way overdue for a revival - with some UE4 cars. I’ll submit one of mine right here and review someone else’s at the same time. Here’s my submission - originally made for CSR71:

CSR71 - abg7 - DiMarino Imperia 325.car (21.4 KB)

And now here comes the part where I review a car from someone else (special thanks to @Chickenbiscuit for providing me with the car’s export file):

Looking at the '94 Maxon Phoenix SX, it’s immediately apparent that this car is very much a product of its time, right down to the purple-and-teal exterior paint scheme. However, the exterior styling itself is decent, although it may be a little too similar to its contemporaries for my liking. For this car, though, beauty is only skin deep. The suspension (strut front, semi-traling arm rear) is cheap and simple to build and develop, but lacks the level of precision found in more advanced configurations. What really infuriates me, however, is the use of plain steel for the body and chassis - low-cost, for sure, but horribly susceptible to corrosion compared with the kind of corrosion-resistant steel which would have been commonplace back then, and unlikely to do the car’s lifespan any favors. I’d expect many examples of this car to have been rendered unroadworthy by severe rust-through within just a few years.

It gets worse as I take a peek under the hood, for the Phoenix’s 2.6L normally aspirated I6 is positively anemic. This engine is an unwelcome throwback to the early Malaise Era; it develops less than 150 horsepower (on premium unleaded!), with a torque curve that seems to tail off sooner than expected, and its combination of low-friction cast pistons with a forged crank and conrods is particularly jarring. In fact, since it uses a crude single-point EFI system instead of a multi-point setup, this engine is even further behind the times than I once thought, especially since its fuel economy is nothing to write home about. And to add insult to injury, it is transversely mounted and drives the front wheels - not an ideal layout for a “performance” car. Combined with the fact the block and heads are both made of iron, the end result is severe understeer - more than what would normally be expected of a front-driver, especially since the Phoenix runs on all-season tires instead of the high-performance rubber I expected to find on sports coupes such as this one.

Everything else about the Phoenix further confirms that it was built down to a price, and nothing more. The sluggish 4-speed automatic reduces the car’s already pathetic performance even further, and is at odds with its use of a mechanical LSD. The interior is mostly acceptable, but the stereo is a cheap and tinny 2-speaker unit - although it’s better than not having a sound system at all. And although the Phoenix’s suspension is all-independent as described above, Maxon seems to have erred on the side of drivability. This would be forgivable if it had a smooth ride, but the dampers are too stiff for my liking, which makes it even harder to live with on a daily basis than it already was, considering the car’s all-round awfulness.

In short, the Maxon Phoenix SX would have had its place in the market - it was clearly aimed at cash-strapped buyers who wanted the looks of a genuine sports car, but couldn’t actually afford one. Away from that niche, however, it would have fallen so short of being a legitimate performance car in so many areas that I could never have recommended it, except to poseurs with less than nine grand to spare - because that’s exactly what it would have cost. The old adage “you get what you pay for” definitely applies here; with the Phoenix SX, you would have paid next to nothing, and got next to nothing in return.

1 Like

Yep pretty spot on for basically a min-maxed Ford Probe :grinning:

Let’s try out this idea…

The Hugi Motors Eida RSA is the company’s first hypercar. Initially planned to have a 2017 release, the car’s production was delayed due to complaints regarding the car’s ungainly design. Since then the car received multiple facelifts, finally arriving at the current state this year.

The RSA is meant to be Hugi’s technological pinnacle, using the most advanced aerodynamics and engine materials. However, some aspects of the RSA also focus on the past, such as the lack of turbos and use of rear-wheel-drive. Prestige is one of the focus of the Eida line, for its purpose is dual; a beast of a car on-track, and a beauty on the most glamorous settings.

Well, here’s hoping the final results keep the Eida far away from its original ungainly design. For reference, here’s the RSA’s 2nd version (as well as the Hugi company page, if you’re interested). And the current car;
Competition H - Nicking HC.car (34.3 KB)

Mods used: None of them! The car was originally created for the Official Car Design Competition, which made mods its forbidden fruit, so there.