The Golden Era of Japanese Sports Car - Magazine Page Release

1. Canonical correctness
  2. Period correctness
  3. Practicality is a measured stat, and # of seats is figured in to that,

You show a picture with a couple cars that would be disqualified from this competition for too few seats, and the rest in their factory form would have come with 5 seats.

Then you go and mention a couple cars that, again, would be illegal under the seating rules.

Maybe clarify; is this supposed to be a factory (even if it’s a sport) trim? Or is this a race trim? or what?

3 Likes

oh i’ll clarify all right.

so

1. it’s a picture that @Fayeding_Spray found and i used without giving too much of a 2nd thought.
  2. i think i may have overlooked that… i’ll change it (i forgot 2+2 seater car was not a JDM thing)

so basically. i was being stupid.

it’s more like the ‘halo’ car like the mazda RX series was, or the sports car flagship, like the Nissan Skyline was, or a test/development platform like the NSX was with it’s VTEC. you can make whatever’s the backstory for the car :stuck_out_tongue:

edit : OP’s updated to only require 2 seats

5 Likes

Perfect, thanks for the clarification!

Suzume will be ready to enter! :smiley:

1 Like

well… apparently that poll was pretty much useless. so i’ve made my decision anyway.

Carry only the engine forward

this decision is based on something i want to do in the future. but that’s for later. i’ll open the entry later tonight.

HEYOOO

IT’S OPEN NOW!

7 Likes

MY85 Bogliq Katrina 2000GT

Spun off the Bogliq of Japan version of the Bastion in the mid 70’s, the Katrina was intended to be a budget sports coupe that traded off absolute ability for reliability and a cheap purchase price.

For 1985 the 4th generation Katrina, Bogliq has chosen to introduce a couple of sporty variants to the Katrina line-up. These are the 2000SS (Street Sport), which is a base Katrina manual with sports suspension and the car featured here, the 2000GT.

Comprising of a marriage of the venerable A series iron block four with an all new DOHC, 4v head designed by Leeroy Racing, topped off with multi-point fuel injection, with a five speed manual gearbox and sports styling, the MY85 Katrina 2000GT has been designed to entice tech savvy buyers from other, better established, performance brands.

The head engineer of the Mk 4 Katrina believes that the 2000GT will find at least some success in the marketplace but concedes that the 2000GT will most likely only make a big impact if the market chooses to reject the new wave of turbocharged performance cars due from other players in this market segment.

It looks like interesting times ahead for Bogliq and the Katrina 2000GT, hopefully the combination of high tech NA power coupled with nostalgia laden design cues will be enough to ensure the long term success of the 2000GT flagship as a part of the Katrina line-up going forward.

Price when new: $15990

Buy better, buy Bogliq

12 Likes

1985 Dragotec Gladius

One of Dragotec’s first attempts at a turbocharged consumer vehicle, aimed at penetrating the Japanese sportscar segment.
It had a 2.2L inline 6 turbo of the “Belingo” family producing 201 ponies at 8.5 psi, producing 220 Nm of torque at 3800-6600 rpm. However, due to poor communication, and over optimism of the amount of torque the turbocharger would bring an unorthodox choice of linking it to a 4 speed happened, this was alleviated in the 1989 facelift along with the addition of traction control, however in the 1985 model this resulted into a first gear that could carry the car all the way up to 60 mph.

Despite being aimed at a more affordable price segment, the '85 Gladius was fitted with double wishbone suspension front and back, which with 215 mm tyres and a weight of just under 1060 kg resulted into a rather nible, and rather tailhappy result. Some might have considered its love to swing its tail out under power to be “dangerous” and “a waste of rubber”, yet perhaps luckily, later it turned out that the Japanese seemed to have a fetish for that sort of thing.

Alot of sacrifices were made for these sporting ambitions at a budget though, as comfort was mediocre at best, fuel consumption on the alcoholic side, and if you had more than one friend they would have to walk. The Gladius however carried Dragotec’s hopes for writing a page in the book of the golden era.

14 Likes

oof yes this is getting good :weary::sweat_drops:

I love how you made it look like an S13 Silvia with the S15 body. It looks very modern for a mid-80s car, and that’s saying something.

And I just made something that sneaks in under both PU/ET limits with cash to spare… and, in terms of lore, could be used as a tuner base.

2 Likes

i forgot to say, since i just came to mind. in case it wasn’t clear already

i’m only asking for the engine to be carried forward. but am not disallowing if you want to use the same body for the 2nd round

though i think this shouldn’t effect much. as the entry has just been opened

sorry that i keep adding more and more things, i keep on forgetting stuff

also, if you want something to be specified on the review of your vehicle do say so through the PM

3 Likes

Thanks, I tried to make it look a bit older than the S13 with plastic overload and more squares though (and for it to not be a complete copy), but it indeed still looks a bit too modern compared to like a 1986 Rx7 FC for example. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I was gonna say, some of these cars look great, but too modern for the period.

Suzume’s entry will definitely have 80’s box chic going on. :smiley: (When I get back to my computer at home tonight that is)

2 Likes

Aaaaand there goes my chance to enter.

didn’t you say you’re gonna be home by the 25th?

OFC. it’s still not done. still something i forgot since i just do it instinctively.
i’m really sorry. this one is my bad.

rule added. Catalytic Converter is mandatory

thank god this one came early

2 Likes

Mmhhh… Thinking of partecipating

1 Like

1985 Mitsushita Kuruan 2.0 J

Tough, reliable machine for all the family men and user who wish for the absolute highest class of practicality and common sense. The 1983-1987 Mitsushita Kuruan is a classic 4-door, executive model that comes with the famous 2L Inline 6 engine series.

This particular model shown is the one you most likely gonna have experience with. It’s the 2.0 J, which was a very popular fleet trim created for both Police and Taxicab use. It’s cheap, dependable, comfortable and classless. It’s equipped with 2.0-litre 112hp fuel injected workhorse motor that promise decades of smooth propulsion.

Buy now.

18 Likes

1985 Zasteros Satori S

In 1981, their mass production operation was a complete success following two cars that were sold cheaply.

But in 1985, they decided to go back to their roots and make budget convertibles again.

Thats where the Zasteros Satori S comes along.

Looking like it came from a concept drawing, this car has the power to go with the looks.