The Golden Era of Japanese Sports Car - Magazine Page Release

KNK Vernum Scarfell

KNK is proud to present the Vernum’s final form, the 110hp Scarfell. For when agility is the priority.

With double wishbone suspension and disc brakes all around, the Vernum will run rings around all opponents. It’s no slouch on the straights either - the N/A 16 valve engine in a 888kg body will see to that. Yet it can still return 23mpg, and is equipped with all the safety you will ever need!

The Vernum Scarfell. Buy now for $15080 at your local KNK dealership.

6 Likes

1985 ZNOPRESK ZENTAI

The 1985 Žnoprešk Zentai is the first step of ZM group to put a foot on one of the hardest market on the world. The japanese domestic market.

ZM tried to squeeze out the best mix out of the group parts pool to deliver a fresh new car, and the efforts works up to the humble expectation of the model.

ZM used the Žnoprešk brand because of the “exotic” sound of the name and the accents on the “Ž” and the “š” and tried to compete on the premium-ish level, with a premium look, mechanics and options in front of a standard price and interior finishing.

The BMMA engine is the classic 2.7 liter inline 6, developing 150 horsepower and allowing the car a top speed of 190km/h (lmited, as for the JDM requirements).
ABS was standard fitting for the 2.7 liter model (mandatory to compete with the high tech gimmiks the japanese premium cars had at the time), with variable hydraulic power steering, 5 speed manual, LSD and indipendent suspensions on all 4 wheels. A real driver car.

23 Likes

I would like to ask how people are getting better than 8l/100km from inline 6 engines? I was trying to fiddle with one for a different challenge - the I-6 fits into the lore of my company being a luxury marque - but couldn’t get lower than 9.9; and then it crashed.

Low AFR, low cam profile, from 1991 onwards LFC pistons… And the cylinder layout itself doesn’t play a big role in efficiency (unless you go turbo, then I6s are the OP superior master race).

2 Likes

Betta XR7 Rallye.

This is the 1985 Betta XR7 Rallye. Proof that less is more.
What don’t you get? You don’t get luxuries that distract the driver from true passion. Driving.
What do you get? A proper sportscar for just $15,860.
The short-ratio 5-speed manual, a limited-slip-differential, double wishbone suspension are 3 key-elements to a Rallye.
Now add lightness, and a 2litre TURBO advanced powerplant developing close to 224 horsepower, powering the rear wheels.
The result is plainly incredible. Earth-bending cornering. 100km/h in just 6.3 seconds. 227km/h in many more.
And on top of that, the advanced TurboTEC-R sump returns 7.4L/100km fuel economy.

So, what are you waiting for? Get to your nearest Betta dealer. One test drive is all that’s needed to get hooked.

Betta. Jinba Ittai.

12 Likes

I tried to start a car for this (whether or not I was going to submit it IDK) and this is what happened…

Not quite sure how the other picture wound up in there, but I only have 2 body styles available for 1980 to 1985, and this one doesn’t work.

1 Like

That’ll buff out…

7 Likes

Neko Chisana
127hp Inline 4!
11.3L/100km!
Sit back and enjoy the ride!
Comes with ABS and 8 Track!
5 Speed Manual with RWD!
A new way to explore every road!

Only 15,990$
Neko - sleek,tough,frisky
11 Likes

With its standard-fit LSD, five-speed manual gearbox and four-wheel independent suspension, the 1985 Genra G2A Turbo Coupe was renowned for being a highly potent budget performance car, despite only offering just over 160 horsepower from its 2.0L turbo four. It quickly established a reputation for being easily tunable, with the easy availability of aftermarket parts such as mechanical LSDs, a set of individual throttle bodies, larger vented disc brakes, wider forged wheels, and fully adjustable suspension. Despite its fairly advanced technical specification, it still retailed for just $15,600.

Although many were later converted into drag, drift, and/or circuit racers, thousands of unmodified examples still remain, to be sought after by enthusiasts and collectors alike as they were. In today’s world of electronic nannies and paddleshift gearboxes, the G2A Turbo Coupe still stands out for its far simpler analog nature.

4 Likes

Isami Reaver S45 GR

Isami’s relative success in rally racing through the early 80’s had showed the world its prowess in creating performance machines in the racing world, but it’s consumer lineup was rather disappointing for car enthusiasts. That all changed in 1985 when Isami decided to put their rally I4 Turbo engine into their mundane S40 coupe. Nearly every aspect of the car was restyled to match Isami’s focus on performance.

The new car, dubbed the Reaver S45 GR, was an impressive, but incomplete beast. Due to the short development time and emphasis on the engine and styling, remnants of the old S40 still lurked underneath. The rear wheels were driven by a 4 - speed manual which hampered acceleration and along with the tires brought down the top speed from a theoretical 149 mph (240 km/h) to 142.9 mph. The interior was sparse with it’s key feature being an 8-track player that works for awhile. The lack of features did help keep off some weight with the car weighing in at 2,431 lbs (1102 kg).

The reworked 2.2L IRDTurbo 4 boasted 207 hp at 6200 rpm and 202 ft-lbs of torque at 3700 rpm. This propelled the S45 to a 0-60 mph time in 6.8seconds and a 1/4 mile time of 14.94 seconds. The ride was low and tight thanks to it’s double wishbone suspension in both the front and back, although some would say the tuning made it too uncomfortable to daily. The Reaver S45 GR became a solid platform for building track and drift monsters in the years to come.

13 Likes

In the early 70’s DMA decided to get into muscle cars, by the early 80’s DMA management started to notice the market for small sporty compacts was opening up and decided to not wait as long as they had for the muscle car segment.

So here is the J85
With an advanced all aluminum naturally asperated DOHC 16 valve 2.3 liter I4 with multi port fuel injection producing 138 ftlbs at 3900 rpm, and 137hp at 6200 rpm

The power is transferred to the wheels by way of a 5 speed manual and all wheel drive
The J85 also features ABS and speed sensitive power steering.

It is rounded out by premium seats, and a stereo 8 track.

Surprisingly all of this tech only costs $14,820

3 Likes

NEWS

First.
it’s still about another week and we’re already almost up to the quota i set. so i’m removing the 15 entry quota.

2nd.

the recent game update changed a few things. mainly the drivability, sportiness, and most importantly Fuel Economy

so sadly i would have to ask for a revision from some entrants

@Dragawn
@conan
@NormanVauxhall
@Chickenbiscuit

your car’s fuel consumption has dropped below the rules i set, after the recent update. i’d have to ask for an updated version of your car

some other entrants
@TheMiltos21 & @VicVictory
your car’s fuel economy has also dropped significantly. although not below the rules yet. you may want to take another look and decide if you want to go as is with the new stats, or do you want to give a revision?

i’d recommend everyone that has entered into the competition also take another look at your entry and see if there’s any change that you don’t like, and decide if you want to fix it or not.

i didn’t find any real significant change to any car other than the fuel economy but i am open for revision.

phew, thank god i started asap. that would have been a handful otherwise

8 Likes

right. there’s a week left until deadline. but we have not even passed the 15 entries mark yet

so far there’s 14 entries
@HighOctaneLove
@Dragawn
@conan
@yurimacs
@NormanVauxhall
@VicVictory
@Slim_Jim
@Alib (welcome to the community :slight_smile: )
@TheMiltos21
@Mikonp7
@abg7
@Chickenbiscuit
@Zabhawkin
@Lenraj (welcome back btw)

6 Likes

I didn’t realize it’s 2nd of February already

whoops. i have else something in my mind when i typed that :blush:

2 Likes

We over at LHE have heard the demands of a limited market over in Japan, and have decided to take head. We will be launching a new ‘sport’ themed car based on our Satalite platform for the JDM market only.

Aside from body panels and a modified passenger cabin, this car shares everything with the rally proven Satalite, we promise to deliver a timeless look to our friends across the ocean.

Presenting, the Satalite Seikō.

20 Likes

1985 BM Aurora

Who says a wagon can’t be practical and fun?

5 Seats, space for everything you could ever need to haul, and unique styling to go with it’s unique quirks. At it’s heart, a unique 3L turbocharged inline 6, twin cams and a whopping 24 valves result in 187hp being sent straight to all four wheels, giving the Aurora a speedy 0-62 time of 6.9s without breaking your wallet on fuel costs.

It may not be the most comfortable, or the most economic, but where else would you find a sports wagon with this much character?

11 Likes

1985 Nohda Levy (ACA Prowler)

SUV, Sports Utility Vehicle…

In 1985, ACA and Nohda teamed up to produce an SUV. In Japan it was called the Nohda Levy. However, in the US, it was known as the ACA Prowler and it had a 6L V8.

With 5 comfy seats, independent front suspension and a live axle rear and a big 6L Pushrod V8 mated to a 4 speed manual, this is a true SUV. And for only $16,000!

13 Likes

Its an odd day when I build a sport compact (Honda city inspired) and someone drops an SUV 4x4?

3 Likes

Yes. Yes it is. I forget which horseman of the apocalypse comes right after that.

7 Likes