The Golden Era of Japanese Sports Car - Magazine Page Release

Nice pictures. It strangely reminds me of a Lotus Esprit in the back, I dig it :slightly_smiling_face:

i guess that’s how you interpret SPORT… as in… SUV is still a SPORT vehicle i guess?

also… that last picture… that totally looks like a Kijang

1 Like

Thanks!

What’s an off-road Yank tank doing in a herd of Japanese sport compacts? Whatever, if it looks the part, then it clearly has a place here.

did you even read my latest post?

2 Likes

Additional press release

The fuel crisis of the 1970s introduced Americans to the wonder that was Japanese Automobiles. Known for their excellent fuel economy and affordability, it was hard for American Manufacturers to compete. One of those vehicles introduced in the 70s, was Nagoya. Nagoya had a very limited offering of compacts and hatchbacks in the North American Market for the better part of the 1970s and early 1980s. That is why the Falcon was such a departure. Initially offered with a 1.5 Liter 4 cylinder 12 valve multi-port EFI engine, mated to a 5 speed manual, The stock Falcon pushed 80 hp. It offered a 0-60 of around 10 seconds, and finished the 1/4 mile at around 80 MPH, with top speed of 110 MPH; but most notably was its 30 MPG fuel economy, all for just under $11000. This was a fun little personal sport vehicle that featured a reliable engine that could easily be torn down and rebuilt by a high school kid in auto-shop. Enthusiast loved the customize-ability of the motor, whose architecture was based on the soon to be release 2.0 Liter Falcon Four.

1 Like

Takemi Gasmea Presents…

1985 280 GXR Turbo

ihavenoideahowtographicdesign

150+ Horsepower,
RWD w/ Limited Slip Differential,
Turbocharged DOHC 1.9 L.

Add all that up, and what do you get?

The best time you’ve had in your life,
And it’s only a key turn away.

JSC-Nicholander - 280-GXR.car (24.7 KB) (Uses the ‘pop headlights (squareish)’ mod rather then now vanilla popups because they attach on a little differently and I thought they looked better like that)

2 Likes

The 1985 Interceptor spec. turbolicious is now for sale for $16000
Boasting a 3,5L I6 turbocharged engine with an amazing 260hp, with an impressive fuel economy of 9 km/l it is truely something the world has yet to experience.

Another first is a futuristic interior, seating daddy and his two kids (1+2) of course the kids will be distracted by the standard 8 track radio. Meanwhile daddy watches both rear tyres turn into white smoke (through the standard LSD) and listens to the wicked engine through its straight exhaustpipes.

The car also features a true tuned paintjob with matching chromed rims, which are incredibly easy to clean.

The V rated tyres will keep the occupants safe up to the cars top speed of almost 240 km/h

1 Like

The 1985 Ibishu Covetta is an exercise in unconventional engineering. Essentially the hatchback body of the regular 5-door Covet mated to the RWD chassis of the 200BX, the Covetta redefines the hot hatch with its perfect blend of practicality and sporty handling.

The limited production Type-LS trim takes it up to another level, by cramming in the 3.0L V6 from the Ibishu Pessima midsize sedan. With 154hp on tap in a package weighing less than 1000kg, the Covetta Type-LS rockets from 0-60 in less than 7 seconds.

Order your Covetta Type-LS today for a price of $15340.

4 Likes

right… as i forgot to mention which timezone is set as the deadline.

although this is already the 6th for me, it may still be 5th somewhere i don’t know.

so the deadline is 9 hours after this post is posted

and i would allow for revisions until up to 48 hours after deadline

1 Like

1985 Pragata Sasi Turbo

3 Likes

okay the deadline has now passed, no more entry will be accepted.

In 1985 Lenraj Motors introduced the Satomoto as their answer to the many sports cars, coming out of Japan at the time.

The Satomoto focused on lightweight, weighing in at only 1098kg, resulting in an agile and sporty driving experience. However comfort was severely compromised.

The Satomoto was powered by 2.0L DOHC-16 turbocharged engine, with an output of over 150hp, sending it from 0-100km/h in 7,6 seconds, while still delivering a respectable fuel economy of 11,5 km/l.

At 15.990, it was competing in the more expensive end, and due to the lack of comfort, it was mainly preferred by drivers, who appreciated sportiness over comfort.

2 Likes

@koolkei Updates? Seems like all the deadlines have passed. :smiley:

uhh yeah i have announced the closing before, and now all deadline has passed

i can say this. i’ve looked at and already did skim reviews of all the entries, so it’s only the essays left . but more than that is “still in progress” :stuck_out_tongue:

okay tbh, not quite, stuff happened that made me feel like i won’t make the best reviews, so rather than forcing myself, i took a break, because i don’t wanna half ass this andi want it to be at a quality that i’m comfortable with.

but, that has passed and i am intending to start it today anyway. expect at least SOMETHING within say 3 days a the longest :stuck_out_tongue:

oh god the likes. i already set a deadline for myself in 3 days. but the likes somehow added more pressure for me. even though it doesn’t really matter…

13 Likes

At least we have an update or the situation and a possible schedule. Okay. I’ll give a 5 for the reply and -1 fo… Oh god too much judging these days.

11 Likes

A Trip to the Intriguing land

…Driving out of a small car meet. Kievan and Rogi, a pair of American-born automotive enthusiast journalist, started realizing that, after the boom of small, economic, and low emission Japanese car that started last decade, these Japanese brands recently also started selling nice, and competitive sports car in America too, and it’s starting. but when they say ‘competitive’ they mean, it’s an option to our American sports car which mostly are just these big V8 with those ‘getting old’ overhead valve, making big power in a straight line, but only okay in doing everything else, mostly, old but proven fun method. These Japanese cars are low power but light and handles well, fun, but relatively cheaply to run and own, or at least what they say they heard from talking from the owners. They also managed to get a few rides in them too. They are just. Different.

…Just from seeing the increasing numbers of them strolling the streets, and from a few car meets they have come to in the last few months. This finally intrigued them enough to want to find out and learn more. But, they are working for a magazine that reviews mostly domestic cars. This poses some problem from them. The amount of Japanese sport cars that has come to America is not that much, at least yet, they are on the rise. But they want to know more. So what do they do? Propose to their head editor to fund their trip to Japan to satisfy their curiosity in reward for a quite few full pages worth story for several months release.

…A week later they got a reply. What was it? REJECTED! Of course it was. In the end they’re asking the company to fund their personal interest travel to japan. So what now? Negotiation of course. What are the company willing to pay for? A few days of heavy negotiating later, their head editor started to get tired with their constant demand and finally given up and finally settled to pay for their plane tickets, and lodging for a week only, they can stay longer, but they’d have to pay for the rest of the lodging themselves. It ended up with what the both of them think as quite a not bad middle point. And they are willing to pay for rest just for their curiosity anyway.

…So the next week, they landed at the Nagoya Airfield. Why Nagoya you ask? Because it’s close to Aichi, the area in Japan that is the capital of the automotive production, and they thought they would get a lot of access to many car with minimal travel distances, thus reducing travel costs. As soon as they got out of the airport to look for a taxi. Thank goodness Rogi is actually a Japanese descendant, so they had, mostly, no problem with the language. Though he only learned Japanese from his grandfather and he barely ever used it in America, so it’s quite rusty and could probably lead to some weird problem later on.

…After checking in and sleeping their jetlag off as much as possible, the next day came and they prepare all their journalist gear. Which isn’t much, just a small notebook with 2 pens for the each of them, Kievan’s camera with a few rolls of films packed in his barely fitting camera bag. With only a single lens, just in case they need to move quick and take a quick shot when needed, you never know what’s going to happen, best to prepare right? Now ready to take on the world, stepping outside the inn they’re staying at.

Kie: Hey Rogi
Rog: Yeah?
Kie: you know, since we didn’t make any sort of appointment at all with anyone, we need to visit every dealer directly to see their car don’t we?
Rog: yeah, and?
Kie: how the fuck are we gonna get around?
Rog: what do you mean ho……… oh…… we didn’t plan that part did we…….
Silence
Rog: uh, bikes?
Kie: you wanna bike how far per day every day for how many days?
Rog: okay then, train? No wait, I don’t know how trains work here. Uhhhh

…About half an hour of argument later, they just decided to get to the nearest used car dealer around that they can find and asked for the cheapest car they have, no matter what, as long as it’s “legally allowed on the road”, even something that was going to be scraped soon is okay. Or at least that’s what they told the salesman. Because of course they didn’t plan for this, none of them held an international driving permit, which could only be issued back home. Because they thought, even if they got caught… what’s the worse that could go wrong? Deportation? That a free ticket back home albeit earlier than planned

…The salesman just nodded and let out a sigh, and then starting walking away for them while signaling them to follow him, so they followed the salesman towards the back of the usual car sale building, crossed some small streets, into this patch of what looks like abandoned warehouses, with a bunch old, possibly abandoned to die cars around it.

…The Onara. They don’t even know the brand of this car, and they don’t really seem to care as long as it can hold for the next 2 weeks and don’t break their budget too much while doing so. Betting on the infamous Japanese cars reliability. And it’s a cheap and super simple car anyway, how hard to fix can it be? Well if it anything can be said about it, the car got another battery that the sales took with him, and it comes back to life only after about 5 mins or so of trying to start it, despite it being in the car ‘dump pile’ and was left here for who knows how long

it ain’t the review. but i never said anything about it being the review did it :stuck_out_tongue:

16 Likes

Dammit, you tease! Lol

2 Likes

Haha, you still get a like for creativity! I love the intro, looking forward to the reviews. :wink: