The grand tour-not so fast less so furious edition [OPEN]

Not setting deadlines is a bit of a double-edged sword. But I would say the risk of having a deadline run out and reducing the number of entries you have is much less than the risk that people get around to starting to make an entry only to find that you’ve shut the door. For one I’m pretty time-poor this week but I was considering throwing something in, but now I don’t know whether to start because I definitely won’t be done before Friday week!

3 Likes

Nah, don’t worry, I’m not shuting down the door any time soon. My idea is once I get the necessary people, I’ll set up a generous deadline.
In any case, I won’t close it down when I get the required people, rather, think it as the start of a countdown.

3 Likes

Limiting the entries per person?

1 Like

1 per person, being a street legal car and the GT version

1 Like

Would you like our car’s lore DM’ed or do you want us to post it here?

1 Like

Whichever way works for you, you can pjt it here or DM it. As long as I can read it I’ll be able to rate it.

So this competition is like… BTCC rather than say GT3? Looks like fun, might try to make a legitimate lore to KGB and the GRU motorsport team.

1 Like

Armor Motors
Since Armor Motors has been America’s only small car company (in every sense of the phrase) since 1988, they’ve needed to be as frugal as possible with their money in order to stay in the black.
This discipline contributed to Armor Motors becoming one of the few American car companies who did not take any bail-out money during the American Recession. With their books balanced, they stood poised to make a profit even in a struggling economy.

4 Likes
  • Armor Valencia

Citing interchangeability of parts with its larger, rear-drive sibling, the new Armor Valencia utilized a longitudinal front-drive layout uncommon in most other cars. This way, both the Valencia and the Armor Briar could share the same all-wheel drive system already in use with the Briar.
The new car was received well by consumers. Enthusiasts noted its weight distribution and sporty demeanor, while regular drivers enjoyed its front-drive (or all-wheel drive, depending on trim) stability.
One of the more popular packages what the Valencia S, which used a 2.1 liter turbo V6 to power the front wheels.

• Valencia GT

Watching other car companies struggle during the recession, Armor Motors saw an opportunity to showcase its engineering prowess. So while others labored over financial charts, the Armory decided to go racing.
    Starting with a Valencia S, they first built a specially prepped version of its V6 for class racing, with a full compliment of race parts and a larger turbo to produce over 460 horsepower. The engine was mated to an equally special dual clutch transmission and connected to Armor’s stock all-wheel drive system.
    The body went through extensive lightening. Famed driver Doug Mitchell was enlisted to handle the number 8 Bull Horn car in its first season.

5 Likes

KGB has returned to call for the Crusade!

No, not that Crusade.
The Second Crusade!

A more rugged, capable, efficient, the sleek Crusader in coupe form is ready for the year 2012. The Crusader is armed with a rear-biased AWD system attached to a smooth, high revving, naturally aspirated I-4. The chassis of AHS steel and aluminum panelling keeping the Crusader strong and hardy. Double wishbone front and multilink rear suspension assuring the Crusader is planted at all speeds and all terrain.

The Crusader seeks to crush it’s opposers on every mountain and every road from Japan to Jerusalem, success it seeks and success it shall deliver.

One of those roads though, happens to be a race track…

Adopting the brand new Crusader, GRU Motorsport has taken its first stride from aftermarket upgrades and tuning to a manufacturer-backed racing team.

Using the original engine and transmission, GRU has brought performance from 157 NA horses to a staggering 717hp turbocharged! With support from KGB, GRU will take the Crusader around the globe to challenge lap records in every continent.

Starting from the first challenge at Tsukuba, the Crusader will go on sale at KGB dealerships for $36,200 RRP.

(GRU Motorsport will also offer a limited run of Crusader GTs alongside the Elegant trim in each country as they compete for $95,000 RRP)

Following the crash of 2008, KGB was hit particularly hard. Sales were never terribly strong sticking to personal design ethics of lairy handling and excess performance stubbornly against demand, but there was the odd success. Noting back in the year 2000, KGB had released a taxi built tough and capable with sensible fuel economy that appealed to a new fanbase. Production was small limited only to fleet use but it inspired the company in such dire times.
Looking back they saw a safe design that the world might take to. They recreated the Crusader to a T and shored up the design with modern styling and strengthened engineering and delivered the most cautious build they had done in a decade.
During the downturn of KGB, GRU Motorsport had begun to shine. Its line of aftermarket turbochargers and body kits for old KGB cars like the Flare saloon and Suzumebachi fastback coupe had capitalised on KGBs design to create spectacularly high-performance vehicles skipping the dip in the global recession. Flush from success, in 2011 GRU approached KGB for access to their latest design to build a kit ready for release. GRU was not large but with KGB in such a dire state they agreed to supply GRU with whatever they needed, if they agreed to race the car and bring KGBs image to the world.
On release the second Crusader delivered a spectacular show and time at Tsukuba circuit and the sales started rolling in; win on Sunday, sell on Monday. Travelling the world showing off KGBs new design, GRU grew with KGB and their partnership was sealed. on May 9th 2013, GRU was absorbed in to KGB and began developing performance specials as KGBs in-house tuning company.
Every GRU from then on continued to use the yellow and black livery, first seen on KGBs 1995 Regalia RS Ultimate, a symbol of the pinnicle of KGB engineering.

5 Likes

Holy hell those 2 liveries are great, I love em. Approvals will be handed out soon.

1 Like

Having difficulty figuring out the spec to go for here. 717hp out of a 2L turbo is possible but the car will have a quoted fuel economy of at least 40L/100km, and in reality much more than that at WOT. But it’ll be significantly faster than a 400bhp car. How much does things like reliability and economy factor into the race scoring?

This is important because testing on a high speed track like the ATT strongly favours high power builds especially when ESC etc. Is allowed. But beyond 350-400hp the traction levels are such that AWD swings into favour and if you end up with a system that favours that then it will skew the balance of entries and will no longer actually resemble a sanctioned racing code.

4 Likes

36.5L/100km*

and 300kph top speed lol

I apologize for the late reply.(And I apologize for the slow approvals) I ws in the hospital yesterday due to a traffic accident.

I didn’t want to reveal too many details about reliability, fuel economy as to avoid minmaxing, but I’ll try my best to explain then without revealing too much. If anyone that has sent their car before this message feels like I gave an unfair advantage, revisions for previously sent cars are welcome.

-Drivability:
Drivability will consider, well, the drivability stat that automation gives you, along with that, a few negative multipliers will be added based on wheelspin, oversteer, understeer and turning ability(I decided on these since I assume they are the most important for a race). Now, once any negative multipliers have been applied, the drivability score that I get will be placed in a function that compares it to a perfect drivability score. and the number that I get from that function will multiply the lap time.

this function is exponential so a jump from 11 drivability to 10 drivability might mean a change of 4 secs while a jump from 65 to 64 drivability will mean a change of 0.4 secs.

-Fuel
Fuel economy is the least important aspect, it just adds a bit more weight to your car(aka you carry more fuel), it’s just a small acceleration and top speed minus that will get applied based on the amount of turns and straights that the race track has.
The real reason why it’s there is to avoid overly fuel consuming cars that somehow consume all their fuel before they can complete the 8 laps, which would imply a pit stop, which would reduce your time.

-Reliability
Reliability is the simple out of the three, basically, if you have under a certain reliability threshold, you’ll get a pit stop penalty. And if you have an extremely low reliability, your car might straight up not work in the race.

I hope this explained it a lil bit, I’m sorry for any confusion that it might have caused.

Thanks for all.

1 Like

looks like you’re just gonna need a range of entries to see how the calculations pan out (and whether they perform to your expectations).

(If I have time, big if) I’ll stick to submitting a FWD BTCC entry, and we’ll see how it stacks up. It’s going to have literally half the power and probably half the ET of some of the other entries because BTCC cars aren’t supposed to have supercar levels of engineering in them. The tyres however will be fancy because semi-slicks in racing lol.

2 Likes

While the BTCC was certainly a big inspiration, I did also inspire myself in some local race clubs, which have regulations that are a bit ligther(pretty much money and some safety rules is the limit).

and yes, with more entries the better I can test the functions that I made, I already did some testing by copying specs of irl racing cars.

3 Likes

how is this competition going?

Pretty good, almost reaching the minimun submissions.

1 Like

So, quick two things:

1 - bump (hopefully if people see the thread we can get more interest).

2 - (and more importantly) how far are you from the minimum submissions? This seems like a neat idea, would like to see it get off the ground.

1 Like