The Kinda Grand Tour [FINALE]

Our Protagonists Almost Die Before They Even Get To The Start
Our Protagonists Are Introduced And Act Like Somewhat Normal People
In Which They Noise Pollute Like College Frat Boys And Are Thoroughly Outdone by a Blue Man
In Which They Argue About Playing Gay Chicken With Keys Being Hidden in Unmentionable Places
In Which Gay Chicken Is Played But Kai Forgets the Chicken Part and Strop Loses
In Which Strop Fails Emissions Ratings and Team Southend are Scarred For Life
In Which Toothless Starts Wheezing and Strop’s Butt Unleashes a Can of Whoopass on Team Clutch Droppers

#Team Flaming Fart Cannon
###Day 2, 12-2pm

Even after passing through Bandon in a cloud of toxic emissions, Strop and Kai were still clutching their sides, the occasional wheezing paroxysm of laughter wracking their bodies.

“Oh God I died,” Strop gurgled.

“The best.” Was all Kai managed.

The highway was long and almost entirely straight going Southbound. The wounded Toothless once again took flight, picking up speed and buzzed over the road doing close to 90mph.

“Come on, let’s catch another team and do it again,” Kai joked.

“Okay, but, I gotta be careful, the next one could be a shart.” Strop cautioned.

As the 101 Southbound turned into a gently undulating coastal drive, Kai continued to give Toothless the beans. The beach view blurred on by with 4500rpm on the tacho and the droning of the inline four punctuated by pained squeaks from the front left every time they crested a bump or hit a dip.

“Uh, is that getting louder?” Strop wondered out loud.

“No.” Kai said, maybe a touch defensively, meaning, yes, definitely. And it persisted while they passed through Brookings, crossed the border from Oregon into California, through Smith River, and even Fort Dick (snicker). But it was in the dappled curves of the Redwood State Forest that even as Kai attacked each banked corner with gusto, Toothless sickened further, shuddering and shrieking while braking into the tight right handers, then groaning as he pinned the throttle past the apex.

“Oh shit dude, I think it’s getting worse,” Strop warned, his remark superfluous as Toothless burst into rattling vibrations that chattered their teeth. First it was just a shiver, then a rigor, then a bucking and jostling that rustled their jimmies* harder than a vibrator strapped to a jackhammer. They weren’t even able to appreciate the renewed view of the coast and the tide washing up on the rocky beach on the approach to Klamath Camp. The curves of the forest road over, the vibrations lessened, but the steering wheel still threatened to jump out of Kai’s hands. Knuckles white, he crooned and cajoled, in a vain attempt to soothe Toothless’ agony:

“Nej nej nej, skattepige, bare lidt endn-”

It was the bump at the end of the bridge that did it. There was an audible snap, then a grinding, and Toothless pitched to the left with the howling of rubber. Kai instantly pulled to the right, but the wheel was jammed fast. Strop clutched his seatbelt and braced. Throwing up smoke, the flaming Corolla veered across the oncoming lane, off the runoff and was swallowed by the tree canopy. Then there was a crunch, the airbag popped, knees banging against the footwell, seatbelts crushing their ribcages, and silence.

Seasoned veteran of racing crashes, Kai had the motor off, seatbelt off, levered the door open and hopped out within moments. Strop, not a seasoned veteran of crashes in general, tried opening his door for a good ten seconds before realising it was jammed shut, struggled across to the driver’s side and spilled out onto the ground. By the time he had dusted himself off and rubbed his sore knees, Kai was already bracing against the B pillar, in an apparent attempt to haul Toothless out of its dirt crater.

Strop stared at him for a good half a minute before his brain engaged. “Kai, what the actual fuck are you doing.”

“Help me!” Kai grunted, putting his back into it. Toothless inched back a good half foot, dirt dragging in front of the wheels. Strop’s eyes bugged out, first at seeing Kai’s slight frame shift a firmly stuck car, second in an attempt to comprehend what Kai planned. But of course. Kai didn’t have a plan.

“Kai, stop.” Strop stood up, palms upward in utter confusion. “It’s over.”

“No! No! We can fix this!” Kai’s jaw was set, breathing laboured as he pulled again. “Just… gotta…” Strop marched over, firmly wrapping his arms around Kai, and forcibly dragged him away. Kai latched onto the doorframe with his fingers, arms almost elongating as he clung on for dear life. “NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!”

“FOR FUCK’S SAKE KAI THIS IS WHAT WE PLANNED ALL ALONG,” Strop roared, straining with all his might. Finally, his entire weight and power overcame Kai’s flagging grip, and they tumbled into the dirt. Kai kicked and flailed, yelling unintelligibly, and Strop just held on, riding the flames of his fury until he burnt out and fell still, save for the heaving of his chest.

Strop shoved Kai off, and rolled over to his knees. “This was what we planned all along,” he repeated, softer now.

Kai didn’t move, or blink, for such a long moment Strop thought he had lost consciousness. Finally he spoke. “Yeah, I know.”

In silence they struggled to their feet, and dusted themselves off. Toothless lay lifeless, save for the ticking of the heat dissipating from the engine. Strop felt a sudden flashback, to watching the air escaping from his dying patients; wisely, he said nothing.

“I’m going to call a tow truck,” he announced, to no reply. He turned to look at Kai, head bowed, now stroking Toothless’ rear hatch, murmuring barely audible:

“Såså, det skal nok gå… Du har været en god bil, men nu er det på tide at komme videre… Så tak, Toothless, mini Nightfury… Vi burde ha’ set om du kunne ha’ kørt fra den også. Vi ses på den evige racerbane…”

As silently as he could, Strop took ten paces back, and started flicking through his phone. By the time he was done, Kai had finished talking to Toothless, and was standing still, arms folded, contemplating his hand-painted flame decal.

“Truck’s going to be a few hours,” Strop announced.

At first, Kai didn’t answer. When he did turn around, hands on his hips, his jaw was set and his gaze steely.

“We’re gonna need a proper site for the pyre.”

MRL: -3
FTG: +6

*I am quite aware that this is not the typical usage of “rustle my jimmies”. This is deliberate, as I do enjoy employing ironic misappropriation and double-entendre simultaneously!

9 Likes

Oh god
The flash backs
:weary:

But…

REFERENCE GOT

Anyhow, it’s a valiant ending for the mighty Toothless. RIP in peace, my sweet prince.

6 Likes

Team Bamford

Right, let’s make up for lost time!!

12-2pm
Phil was on a roll today, he’d bought some fuel from the remains of a petrol station and had stunned his friends with some really confusing shit and to top it off, he hadn’t taken the brick off the accelerator for an hour or so now.
And then, they saw it, the Gryphon Gear Corolla, broken and desolate by the side of the road, flanked by the GG team.

Phil removed his sunglasses out of respect and shed a single tear at the death of a Toyota.

It was a few miles before anyone spoke again and soon the team was feeling quite chatty by Humboldt, in fact, by the time they swung by the botanical gardens for their POI photos, the team was at each others throats, with a tired Ken stoking the fires of discontent with vigor.

‘‘So what’s the deal with this macho-man bullshit?’’ he muttered

Phil smiled. ''I go places, I see things and I know people"

“And what’s that supposed to mean?”

“No idea pops, but he’s got this strange presence over people, he keeps talking about “Erwin Baker” and stuff like that” complained Jason.

Ken smirked, he had a fair idea of Phil’s game now, but he was content to let this little story continue for a little while longer.

“So, aside from arguing, when are we stopping next?” asked Simon as the big boat bounced over a kerb and scrapped back onto the road.

“Did we just bottom out on normal road junction?” asked Jason

“Must be all the weights in the back” said Phil

“Not to mention all of those bricks” muttered Ken.

2-4pm

The team was wearing down now, the once luxurious seats were feeling harder by the second and these seats had stopped being luxurious in 2003.

Big Redwoods towered over the car which offered a short reprise from the awful car ride before their sightseeing was interrupted by a small knocking sound.

“What’s that?” asked everyone in the car at once.

The car continued on-wards but the sound became faster and faster before it stopped and everything was silent.

“OH” exclaimed Phil “That’s the fuel gauge trying to move!”

“Are we out already?” asked Jason

“We must be! And look! There’s a station right up ahead, we’ll stop there and be back on the road in no time!” continued Phil, being excited about doing his “Erwin Baker” routine again.

The Bamford heaved to a stop at the browser and Phil, flanked by Simon, walked into the petrol station, Phil seemed preoccupied with checking a small piece of paper with a long list of names and places on it.

“We’d like to buy some fuel” smirked Phil, walking to the nearest counter, leaning onto it and lowering his sunglasses all at once.

“Erwin Baker sent us” he continued.

The attendant glowered at him.

“Did I say it wrong?” Phil asked, who had turned on some sort of tap and was suddenly sweating like crazy now.

“You’d be looking for Justus, he left here yesterday after the cops found out about his little back-door operation”

“Can we ignore that this happened and we just paid for some street fuel?”

“I don’t think so”

Simon, meanwhile had gone to the other attendant and paid for the fuel which Jason had pumped, he sidled over to Phil and handed him a piece of paper, Phil took a single look at it, swore something awful and he bolted for the door as Simon walked out behind him.

“Sorry about my friend” he called out to no-one in particular “He forgot his meds today”

As the Bamford slowly eased away, the first attendant was trying to prove to their co-worker that those guys were part of some underground league of hooligans.

“And I’ll prove it! Look at this note!” they yelled, thrusting the paper to their co-worker

The other attendant read the note and started laughing “Are you sure?”

“Yes!”

The coworker handed them the note which was written in big, bold letters.

“KEN THINKS YOU’RE GAY”

8-10pm

Phil had almost explained his bizarre actions to the team but he kept pausing, claiming he heard a train horn in the distance, Simon had agreed with him, adding that he’d heard school bells that morning.

Eager to get some rest, Ken had directed the team to stop in Petaluma at the cheapest motel in town and, looking pretty similar to the last motel, the team went to book in and were met with a young woman at the desk.

She was an attractive sort of girl with long blonde hair and a public relations smile.

“Hi, I’m Lucy, Name please” she stated, with so little enthusiasm that it actually hurt Ken to hear it.

“Ken Clark”

“That with a C or K?”

“Ken or Clark?”

“Never mind, sign here, name, city of origin, etc.” she muttered, pointing to a red book on the desk

Ken signed his name and hometown before handing the book to her, she read his name, several times before suddenly perking up.

“Are you really from Silverstone?”

“Yeah, that’s where my factory is”

“You’re THE Ken Clark? From Bamford?”

Ken smiled “I certainly am!”

“OHMYGOD” she yelled “My dad would LOVE to meet you! Follow me, please, you have to see this!”

Ken gestured to the boys outside and they walked to a small shed around the back of the motel whereupon the woman threw the doors of the shed open to reveal a big British super car.

“My dad’s out of town, but you have to sign the dash for him and get some photos of you in the car, he’d love that!”

“Yep” chuckled Ken “That’s one of ours, 1970 BA Shark”

Ken and Lucy spent the next half hour pouring over things like track width and quad exhausts while Phil was busying himself by making his famous Tomato and Sausage Casserole on his little gas burner.

(I won’t tie up the thread with the recipe, but it’s good, PM me if you’re interested)

And soon the five of them settled down for a nice meal in the car park of a cheap motel in the middle of West Coast America.

Phil explained to her the details of the race and all the adventures he and his mates had been on so far, from Simon making a speedometer out of a mobile phone to Ken’s methodical part checking and Jason’s misadventure on the ferry the previous morning, it was pretty clear that despite Phil trying to wing-man for everyone else on the team, Lucy was becoming increasingly interested in the young Englishman and shortly after dinner, Phil and Lucy went off walking.

“Well, where does that leave us?” asked Ken as the couple strolled down the footpath

“Time for some sleep I think” yawned Simon “After all, we’ve got one last shot down that freeway and we’re going to make damn sure we at least finish”

“You know Simon” laughed Jason, slowly standing up from a chair he’d made from bricks and suitcases “I think that’s the most you’ve said all weekend!”

5 Likes

TEAM OUTRIDERS

Marc: Hey Luigi, I have a proposition for you.

Luigi: I’m listening.

Marc: I’ll buy you a first class flight back to Italy. Just one stipulation, you can never come back.

Luigi: Aww, and I was looking forward to seeing your people when we reach San Francisco.

Marc: There are no Jews in San Francisco you retard!

Luigi: You seem awfully sure of that.

Marc: Well, I mean their population isn’t dominated by Jews.

Luigi: Moot point because I was talking about your fellow homos.

Marc: Well, if I’m gay then you’re gonna be my bitch!

Luigi: Excuse me?

Blake: Well, if you two were gay that is the way I’d see it.

Marc: I don’t know about you but I’m starting to feel kind of beat.

Blake: Well you have been driving almost all day.

Luigi: Tell me about it, bastardo is always hogging the car.

Marc: Well, if you had gotten your license from anywhere other than the Geriatric Driving School, then I’d let you continue driving. I’ve moved faster on beat shifts than you do with this car!

Luigi: Well, it’s something to occupy your mind until you get more blue pills.

Blake: Here we go again.

Luigi: Just remember to call the doctor after four hours, I don’t want anything bad happening to you.

Marc: Don’t make me stop this car and kick your ass!

Luigi: Bring it on bitch, you couldn’t kill a fly!

Marc: I can kick my brother’s ass, and he’s ex-Mossad!

Luigi: Beating up retired old Jews are we? Great, I get stuck in the car with the racist.

Marc: I’m Jewish you idiot!

Luigi: Oh put that card back in the deck!

Blake: All kidding aside, we should look towards plans for the night. Should we camp, or should we find lodging?

Marc: I’m leaning towards finding a campground for the night myself.

Luigi: Hell, we’ve got the gear, and the food. Save some money.

Marc: That was supposed to be my argument!

Blake: Okay, camping it is.

4 Likes

[quote=“VicVictory, post:301, topic:20895, full:true”]

Legend of Terms:

TBDC: Time Block Distance Covered. This is the amount of mileage covered during the current 2 hour period.
ODC: Overall Distance Covered. This is the total distance that the team has covered since Noon on Friday
MRL: Morale modifier
FTG: Fatigue Level
Notes: Any notes I have for your team during this time block. Including POI results, car issues, etc.

Saturday, 8pm - 10pm

Weather Conditions: 68 degrees. Mostly sunny.

All vehicles are on US101 South or CA-1.

Upcoming POI (optional, let me know if you want to stop at them for rest/sightseeing): Any POI you can find/message me about between San Francisco, CA and San Diego, CA (bear in mind timing - It’s getting on toward evening, and various teams have fatigue setting in)

Overnight sleep: Unless you PM me to specify otherwise, you will overnight at a random hotel in San Francisco, and will sleep 6 hours, with an additional hour of prep/packing. If you wish to use a different hotel and/or specify a different amount of time to sleep, PM me details. If you wish to camp, let me know where. Specify sleep time, and don’t forget I will add on an hour of packing to the end.

Next Waypoint(s): Golden Gate Park, San Francisco, CA, Half Moon Bay State Beach, Half Moon Bay, CA, El Capitan State Beach, CA.

VicVictory:
TBDC: 118 mi OD: 1111 mi MRL: +0 FTG: +4 Notes: Waypoint completed: Golden Gate Park. Team is feeling fatigued. Team has refueled in San Francisco, CA.

@Fayeding_Spray
TBDC: 0 mi OD: 1052 mi MRL: +0 FTG: -5 Notes: Team is sleeping at the Hyatt Vineyard Creek in Santa Rosa, CA.

@Madrias
TBDC: 61 mi OD: 1008 mi MRL: -1 FTG: +4 Notes: Team is feeling fatigued.

@BobLoblaw
TBDC: 38 mi OD: 1142 mi MRL: +4 FTG: +0 Notes: Waypoints completed: Golden Gate Park, Half Moon Bay State Beach. Team has refueled in San Francisco, CA. Team has stopped to camp at Half Moon Bay RV Park and Campground. TEAM MORALE EXTREMELY HIGH.

@CriticalSet9849
TBDC: 0 mi OD: 848 mi MRL: +0 FTG: -5 Notes: Team asleep at a hotel in Eureka, CA.

@BailsMackenzie
TBDC: 87 mi OD: 1071 mi MRL: +0 FTG: -4 Notes: Team is asleep at the Motel 6 in Petaluma, CA.

@TheBobWiley
TBDC: 44 mi OD: 1132 mi MRL: +2 FTG: +0 Notes: Waypoint completed: Golden Gate Park. Team has stopped at Golden Gate Park for 1 hour for rest. Team has refueled in San Francisco.

@DeusExMackia
TBDC: 110 mi OD: 1103 mi MRL: -1 FTG: +4 Notes: Team is feeling fatigued.

@HighOctaneLove
TBDC: 119 mi OD: 1108 mi MRL: +0 FTG: -4 Notes: Team is asleep at Great Highway Inn, near the park.

@stm316
TBDC: 46 mi OD: 1108 mi MRL: +2 FTG: +0 Notes: Waypoint completed: Golden Gate Park. Team has stopped overnight at Great Highway Inn, near the park.

@JohnWaldock / @Sillyducky
TBDC: 63 mi OD: 1099 mi MRL: -7 FTG: +5 Notes: Critical Failure: Car has thrown a rod through the block. Only bright spot: it happened just north of San Fran, so not too far to civilization. Overall morale at the end: +8 (good)

@abg7
TBDC: 105 mi OD: 1060 mi MRL: +0 FTG: +2 Notes: None.

@koolkei / @FrankNSTein
TBDC: 0 mi OD: 938 mi MRL: +0 FTG: -6 Notes: Team is sleeping at a hotel in Redwood Valley, CA.

@Rk38
TBDC: 112 mi OD: 994 mi MRL: +0 FTG: +3 Notes: None.

@Nomade0013 / @ramthecowy
TBDC: 0 mi OD: 1108 mi MRL: +0 FTG: -5 Notes: Team is asleep at Great Highway Inn, near the park.

@SkylineFTW97
TBDC: 85 mi OD: 1108 mi MRL: +0 FTG: +8 Notes: Waypoint completed: Golden Gate Park. Team has stopped for the night at Great Highway Inn, near the park. Team nearly immediately passes out due to exhaustion.

The following cars are within visual range or in a pack:

Multiple cars at the Great Highway Inn.

Team Greasy Lightning

Team/Car info

“How much longer?” Jen yawned.

“Half an hour, tops,” Rick replied. “I’m hoping we’ve passed most of the teams. We kind of dawdled yesterday. Paying the price for it now, I guess.”

“Right. I’ll set my alarm just in case,” Fuzz added.

“For what?” Jen asked with apprehension.

“Our early start tomorrow,” Rick muttered.

“ugh, shit,” Jen growled. “Do we have to?”

“I don’t know. I’d rather bet on than against it, though.”

6 Likes

Previous Post || Next Post

Team: Clutch Droppers

Day 2: 8-9pm

Passed through Santa Rosa, our original destination for dinner, but we decided to keep moving since we had to stop and fix the car earlier. Bob has started to fall asleep and Ryan has zoned out staring at the forest flashing by. Jason finishes picking his next song and cranks the radio…

Bob is startled awake and Ryan snaps back to reality.

Bob: What is this?? Korean… rap??

Jason: It’s G-Dragon boys! The best rapper in Korea!

Ryan: Why… just… why? Ok, no more music control for you. We are going back to real music.

We continue on into downtown San Fran while Jason pouts.

Day 2: 9-10pm

Just after passing Marin City we decided to slow down a bit so we could enjoy crossing the Golden Gate Bridge. It was awe inspiring, the sun was setting to the west and the weather was clear, giving us an amazing view of the bay. Ryan and Bob took a lot of pictures as the team passed over the bridge and the came down into Presidio on the other side, it was a beautiful area. We turned off the 101 onto Veterans Blvd. heading towards Golden Gate Park. We cruised along the various roads winding through the park taking a large number of pictures, the lighting was just perfect as the sun set making for an incredible evening. Unfortunately, it was not long until the sun set, ruining our sightseeing. We looped back around to Martin Luther King Dr. and found a parking spot near Crossover Dr./19th Ave.

Bob: Good lord, how many times does this road change names? Veterans Blvd, Park Presidio Blvd, Crossover Dr, 19th Ave, pick a damn name San Francisco!

Ryan: If someone tried to give me directions involving this road, I would never get where I was going.

Jason: Alright, so the Taco Place should just be a block over, let’s get going, I’m starving.

The trio head out of the park and over to The Taco Shop, a lovely little bar setting with amazing looking tacos and other “Mexican” food.

Waitress: High guys, have you been with us before?

Bob: Nope, first time, anything we have to try?

Waitress: Well, I always recommend the tacos, especially the “Nick’s Way”. I’ll give you a minute to look over the menu, do you know what drinks you want?

Bob: Do you have any local beer you recommend?

Waitress: We don’t have too many local beers, mostly in bottles, but we have a new canned beer, Los Gigantes. It’s a mexican style lager, I like it a lot.

Bob: I guess I’ll try that.

Waitress: Just to let you know, you can get a bucket of six, you basically get one free that way.

Bob: You guys wanna try it?

Ryan: Sure, but I’ll probably get something else as well.

Jason: I’ll try it, but you know I don’t really like beer.

Bob: We will take a bucket, thank you.

Jason: I’ll take a coke and water.

Ryan: I’ll have an Old Rasputin.

Waitress: Ok, I’ll grab those and come back for your food order.

Bob: Man, she’s pretty easy on the eyes… think I have a chance?

Ryan: HAHA, not even. Plus, we are not sticking around long enough for even you to… finish… :stuck_out_tongue:

Jason lets out an overly loud laugh

Bob: Damn, that’s harsh.

Ryan: Seriously though, I want to get back on the road tonight. I have been thinking, it’s only about 8 more hours down to Coronado, I think if we pace ourselves overnight we could get there without stopping to sleep, or at least keep it to a very short stop.

Bob: I was kind of thinking the same thing, we are relatively close and I bet almost ever team is going to sleep overnight, that should give us at least a 4 hour lead over them, even if we had to pull over for a couple hours to sleep in the car.

Waitress: Here are your drinks. Do you know what you want to eat?

The team proceeded to order entirely too much food and a number of more beers, on top of the bucket of beers. By time we finish our extremely delicious tacos it was nearly 10pm, but morale was high and our fatigued had been staved off for another few hours. Bob and Ryan had a few too many, but were able to stumble their way back to the car, while Jason complained about the fact that he had to drive more. Just after exiting the park area Jason pulled in to a Shell to fill the car up for the final push to the finish. After zig-zagging our way through the terrible road layout in this area of San Fran, we finally made out way back onto the 101. Pointing the car south, we settled in for the final leg of the trip.

Morale: +16 (Tasty Tacos!)
Fatigue: +7 (Tasty Taco break!)

4 Likes

Team BAGS

Brian’s notes for this leg:

As we continue our drive through the night towards San Francisco, we start hearing rumors that several teams have already made it to Golden Gate Park. It’s likely we’ll make it there before midnight, which is a good sign. However, I recently heard a rumor that one of the teams has had a terminal engine failure, although considering that it happened near civilization, they won’t be stranded for long. There is still a lot of driving left to do, though, which means that we need to stay alert throughout the trip.

3 Likes

##Team Twin-Snail

Previous Stage

“Luke, if you don’t find a place to sleep soon, so help me God, I will pull this car into first and blow the engine.” Linda grumbled from the back seat.

“Have you perhaps considered that I’m trying to ensure our point of interest stop is available to us tomorrow? Or is it your plan that we run out of time before I get to experience anything other than repairing this car?” Luke snapped back.

“No, seriously, I’m fuckin’ tired.” Linda said.

Scott opened his eyes, gave a malicious grin, then said, “Then go back to fuckin’ Tired and let the rest of us rest until Luke sees fit to stop at a hotel or something.”

“Fuck you!”

“No thanks. You’re not my type.”

“Really, you two?” Amy grumbled. “Linda, stop antagonizing Luke. Scott, don’t be crude. Luke, find a fuckin’ hotel before someone does something stupid and gets turned into road paste.”

“About 100 more miles.” Luke said.

“WHAT!? No, I want to sleep now!” Linda yelled.

“I swear to fuck, Linda, I will punch you in the face and you’ll sleep the rest of the trip.” Amy said angrily. “Luke’s trying to compromise. He’s trying to put us as close to the other teams as he can because we’re that far behind.”

“But I’m tired.”

“The back seat is comfortable if you stop whining enough to actually use it.” Scott grumbled. “So shut up and quit waking me until we get there, wherever ‘there’ is.”

For the rest of that segment of driving, the only sounds in the car came from the Minerva’s engine, the tires against the road, wind noise around the cabin, Scott snoring in the back seat, and Luke’s cooling fans straining against the hot air in the car.

Aftermath:

Car condition: Still fine.

Team condition: Ready for Mutiny.

MRL +18 (-1) Big fight in the car.
FTG +14 (+4) Everyone’s tired. Luke needs a cool area that isn’t currently 97 degrees Fahrenheit inside.

6 Likes

#Team ‘Southend or Bust’
Original Post - Previous Post

With the sun setting, the boys neared San Francisco. It had been a long day, and they were all tired, but looking forward to a night in a proper hotel, Martin in particularly.

While Martin and Seb had been relatively quiet, James had become very excited.
“Right, the time is now” announced James as the sun dipped below the horizon.
“You’re gonna put the cheesy song on?” said Seb.
James pretended to be offended. “Excuse me, this song was made for this time and place”

However cheesy a choice it was, Martin and Seb couldn’t help but smile at James’s joy, plus it made James drive faster.
“I can seeeee yoooouuu” James sung terribly, “your brown skin shining in the sun”, propping his sunglasses back up and winding down the windows to get some hair-blowing effects going.

“I always used to think it was ‘The Poison Summer’ that he was saying” said Martin.
“Well then you’re a bit stupid aren’t you” said James.
“Hey, I was like 5” said Martin.

They kept on driving as night fell, with the distant glow of San Francisco egging them on to get here.

5 Likes

RIP the John/Cole Train

3 Likes

RIP jonny and the coleslaw band

4 Likes

Does this raise their risk of engaging in stupid self-jeopardising behaviour due to a rush of euphoria to the head? :smiley:

4 Likes

Depends. If there is an inspiring caracature of Luigi and Marc fighting while the Enforcer bombs down the highway…

errr…

I probably shouldn’t hijack other peoples’ stuff, but the thought is hilarious.

1 Like

team 1'); drop table participants; --

Introduction  |  Previously

Saturday, noon-2pm

About 12.30pm. Da Wei is asleep on the passenger seat while Frank is driving along the long, boring road that is Highway 101, the drivers side window about half open since the car has no AC and it’s pretty hot weather. A sign shows up next to the road.

Frank: poking Da Wei Wake up, man. We’re in Caly.

Frank stops the car at the side of the road.

Da Wei : huh? oh right. end of the rainbow unicorn

Da Wei went out of the car, walked towards the california welcome sign all while his head was pointing upwards saying “yay yay rainbow roads”, until he headsmacked the sign. and fell backwards.

PTAANG!
Da Wei : BUGH OUCH, HUH? WHAT? WHERE? THE HELL AM I? THE FUCK IS HAPPENING?! WHERE’S MY STEADFAST FERRARI RED UNICORN!!

Frank: confused by Da Wei’s behaviour, trying not to laugh You awake yet?

Da Wei: HUH?! oh, right…… wait. why am i sitting on the ground? and why does my head sting like hell?

Frank: You just smacked your head against that sign in front of you. reaching Da Wei a hand to stand up

Da Wei : what? really? grabs frank’s hand and got up. i must’ve sleepwalked again, didn’t i?i only got some blurry memory about some ferrari horse. everything is blurry about that dream. except for the horse

Da Wei: anyway, where are we and what time is it?

Frank: It’s 12:30. For the where part, just look ahead. Goes back to the car, starts looking for something in their supplies.

Da Wei : wow we’re in cali already? damn i must be super tired to fall asleep like that then. though i’m plenty refreshed now. you wanna take a rest for the next stint?

Frank: Thanks. Yes I’ll do. Have one of those. Grabs an energy drink they’ve been carrying in the car, throws the can over to Da Wei.

Da Wei : catches the can thanks. so. break for 10 min then go again?

Frank: As you wish. Opens a pack of biscuits, starts eating them.

Da Wei : You opening these things. how much more snacks do we have left?

Frank opens the cooling box and points at the contents. It’s about half full with beer, energy drinks and different kinds of snacks.

Frank: Should be enough. And even if not, we can still buy stuff. Holds his pack of biscuits over so Da Wei can grab some out of it.

Da Wei : no thanks. the hunger will keep me awake. i hope. well then. i’m gonna try and look for a nearby coffee shop, if there’s any, and ask for the strongest coffee they have. want anything?

Frank: Uh, can’t think of anything. Ready to go then?

Da Wei : only AFTER i find some coffee

5 mins later

Da Wei : well. i got some coffee. but it’s really not strong. let’s go anyway

both of us got into the car and drove off towards the sunset…… kinda. we’re going south, not west. but it’s gonna be sunset in a few hour. ish.

4:30pm. everything was silent except for the thumping stereo that seems to have hold it’s quality even over several decades, proving the car’s overbuilt characteristic when i t was produced. but it was getting boring. Da Wei still on the driver’s seat started to sit slouching, several times he almost swerved onto the other lanea couple of times without realising it already. Then a few minutes after he starts to nod and getting asleep at the wheel.

Da Wei : Okay. that’s it. i can’t take this anymore. find us a hotel or a motel or whatever. right now. that we can sleep in that’s within an hour from now.

Frank: (asleep) zzzzZ

Da Wei : frank…… hey franks? looks to the side well then……. hmmmmm. i’m bored anyway

Da Wei pulled his vape out, and started vaping like crazy until the car was filled with clouds of vape “smoke” within minutes. and in the next few minutes, frank started coughing and finally wakes up

Frank: uuuuh … huh … what the … fuck. smoke. fire. panics, quickly gets out of the car Da Wei? Shit. Where does that smoke come from?
slowly realises what’s going on

Da Wei cant contain his laughter anymore and laughed hysterically and finally cranked down all the car’s window

Da Wei: sorry. a bit. i’m not that sorry, i just needed something to keep me awake.

Frank: struggles for words oh you …. damn asshole. you had to do that? you took that thing with you?

Da Wei: oh shit. knew it would happen, but i did it anyway. uhh… i can’t run can i? it’s worth it though. hahaha

Frank: Slaps Da Wei on the back of his head There. We’re even. Now what? Where are we even?

Da Wei: as i said while you were sleeping, and the reason i did that to you. i can’t take it anymore. we need to find a hotel that we can check in. at worst 1 hour away from here. we’ll sleep now, we’ll go at midnight again.

Frank: Okay, I’ll look for something. In the meantime, can you keep driving south?

A few minutes later

Frank: There seems to be a nice motel south of Redwood Valley. Should be 10 to 15 miles from where we are now.

Da Wei: good. we’re going. NOW. while i’m still somewhat awake. foot flat to the floor

15 mins later they arrived at the hotel very sloppily parked their car. left all the stuff except for wallet, phone, and some biscuits on the car. go the to recipient looking ragged. and fell asleep within 3 minutes of getting in their room.

Morale: +1 (+7 total)
Fatigue: +8 (+15 total)

6 Likes

Just to break out of character for a moment. None of the banter between Luigi and Marc is serious. They rip on each other constantly as men of a bygone era do. Truth is they are great friends and Marc was even made Godfather to Luigi’s firstborn son. Back to the story:

TEAM OUTRIDERS

Missy arrives in Frisco

Marc: Well, it’s a good thing we’re saving money by camping, Missy is thirsty again.

Blake: Thirsty, but a wonderful machine.

Luigi: We did build a damn good car here.

Marc: So where are we heading?

Blake: Golden Gate Park, but first let’s find a gas station.

Marc: We could just refuel in the morning.

Blake: True, but chances are the price would probably go up overnight. Besides, this way we won’t have to worry about condensation in the tank.

Marc: Fair enough.

(After a fuel stop, and a bit of griping about the price, the team is off again.)

Luigi: You see that girl at the counter, how she looked at me? She totally wants me.

Marc: Oh please, the only thing girls like about you is when you stop talking!

Luigi: You’re just upset because your gear doesn’t work anymore!

Marc: It works just fine, why don’t you lean over and I’ll show you how well it works!

Blake: Maybe we shouldn’t have gotten a car with a column-shift automatic.

(Not long after, the team arrives at Golden Gate Park, they set up camp at Half Moon Bay State Beach)

Luigi: What’s for dinner bitch?

Blake: I’ve got pita bread, mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, ham, bacon, sausage, olives, peppers, onions. Plus a dutch oven in the trunk and a bag of charcoal.

Marc: Mmmm, personal pizzas.

(Later, the team is sitting around the campfire, eating their own home made pizzas)

Blake: I know we past a few guys at that hotel, are we in the lead?

Marc: I’m not sure, I think we may be.

Luigi: I don’t think everyone is going to bed as early as us though, someone might get ahead during the night.

Marc: Even so, we’re doing pretty damn good. (walks over to the cooler, grabs two beers, and hands one to Blake)

Luigi: Where’s mine?

Marc: I only grabbed two. (Opens his beer)

Luigi: Bah! (Goes to the cooler to get his own beer) Just a six pack?

Blake: I didn’t think overdoing it would be a good idea.

Luigi: Like it matters! We’re totally kicking ass!

Marc: Easy now, we may be kicking ass, but the competition isn’t over yet.

Luigi: Jesus, are you that much of a loser that you can’t tell when you’ve won?

Marc: Well, the race isn’t over yet so we haven’t won. Do I feel good about our chances? Absolutely! But I also felt great during that drug bust six years ago. You remember, when I was in the hospital afterwards?

Luigi: You pulled through.

Marc: Only because my necklace deflected the bullet so it didn’t go through my heart. My point is I was very cocky during that bust and it clouded my judgement.

Blake: So tomorrow’s strategy is to act like we’re behind?

Marc: Well, I wouldn’t mind putting some more miles between us and the others, call it insurance.

Luigi: Man, look at that view!

Marc: It’s beautiful.

Blake: Breathtaking!

Luigi: It reminds me of a poem, you guys want to hear it?

Blake, Marc: No.

(After dinner, the guys get into their tents to go to sleep)

7 Likes

Legend of Terms:

TBDC: Time Block Distance Covered. This is the amount of mileage covered during the current 2 hour period.
ODC: Overall Distance Covered. This is the total distance that the team has covered since Noon on Friday
MRL: Morale modifier
FTG: Fatigue Level
Notes: Any notes I have for your team during this time block. Including POI results, car issues, etc.

Saturday, 10pm - Midnight

Weather Conditions: 65 degrees. Mostly clear skies.

All vehicles are on US101 South or CA-1.

Upcoming POI (optional, let me know if you want to stop at them for rest/sightseeing): Any POI you can find/message me about between San Francisco, CA and San Diego, CA (bear in mind timing - It’s getting on toward evening, and various teams have fatigue setting in)

Next Waypoint(s): Half Moon Bay State Beach, Half Moon Bay, CA, El Capitan State Beach, CA.

VicVictory:
TBDC: 31 mi OD: 1142 mi MRL: +2 FTG: -2 Notes: Waypoint completed: Half Moon Bay State Beach. Team has checked in to Coastside Inn, near the Beach.

@Fayeding_Spray
TBDC: 0 mi OD: 1052 mi MRL: +2 FTG: -5 Notes: Team woke up at 11pm and will be ready to move out at midnight.

@Madrias
TBDC: 100 mi OD: 1108 mi MRL: -2 FTG: +5 Notes: Waypoint completed: Golden Gate Park. Team has checked into the Great Highway Inn, near the Park (where they essentially pass out immediately due to fatigue)

@BobLoblaw
TBDC: 0 mi OD: 1142 mi MRL: +0 FTG: -4 Notes: Team is camping near Half Moon Bay Beach. TEAM MORALE EXTREMELY HIGH.

@CriticalSet9849
TBDC: 0 mi OD: 848 mi MRL: +0 FTG: -5 Notes: Team asleep at a hotel in Eureka, CA.

@BailsMackenzie
TBDC: 87 mi OD: 1071 mi MRL: +0 FTG: -5 Notes: Team is asleep at the Motel 6 in Petaluma, CA.

@TheBobWiley
TBDC: 131 mi OD: 1263 mi MRL: +1 FTG: +2 Notes: Waypoint completed: Half Moon Bay State Beach. Team is feeling fatigued.

@DeusExMackia
TBDC: 5 mi OD: 1108 mi MRL: +2 FTG: -4 Notes: Waypoint completed: Golden Gate Park. Team has checked in to Great Highway Inn, near the Park.

@HighOctaneLove
TBDC: 0 mi OD: 1108 mi MRL: +0 FTG: -5 Notes: Team is asleep at Great Highway Inn, near the park.

@stm316

@abg7
TBDC: 48 mi OD: 1108 mi MRL: +2 FTG: -2 Notes: Waypoint completed: Golden Gate Park. Team has stopped for the night at Great Highway Inn, near the park. TEAM MORALE IS EXTREMELY HIGH.

@koolkei / @FrankNSTein
TBDC: 0 mi OD: 938 mi MRL: +0 FTG: -3 Notes: Team has awakened at 11pm and is ready to go at midnight.

@Rk38
TBDC: 113 mi OD: 1107 mi MRL: +1 FTG: +4 Notes: Waypoint completed: Golden Gate Park. Note: this team is an exception to the automatic rest rule right now, as they are not fatigued enough to sleep.

@Nomade0013 / @ramthecowy

@SkylineFTW97
TBDC: 0 mi OD: 1108 mi MRL: +0 FTG: -7 Notes: Team is asleep at at Great Highway Inn, near the park.

The following cars are within visual range or in a pack:

Multiple cars at the Great Highway Inn.

Team Greasy Lightning

Team/Car info

(No significant RP, but the team is enjoying their ocean view room at this quaint inn.)

7 Likes

Team BAGS

Brian’s notes for this leg:

We finally made it to Golden Gate Park after a long drive through the night. Our car is holding up well, and so is our physical condition. This explains why our morale has increased even further. Just before our rest stop, we spotted several other teams. Certainly they have chosen to rest here as well before setting off again tomorrow morning. Sunday is going to be another long day… especially since we haven’t planned for rest stops at any remaining points of interest yet. Gary is hearing rumors that a few teams have even made it as far as Half Moon Bay further south, which is a brave move on their part - but we prefer to err on the side of caution, which explains why we, like many other teams, have chosen to stop at the Great Highway Inn near Golden Gate Park instead.

3 Likes

##Team Twin-Snail

Previous Stage

“Luke, Hotel. Now!” Linda said. She then gasped as Amy reached over the seat and slapped her.

“Yeah, snowflake, you’re getting on my fucking nerves. Constantly complaining about being tired so NO ONE ELSE can get ANY sleep at all while we’re on the highway. Plus Luke even mentioned ‘100 miles’ about 70 miles ago!” Amy snapped.

“Plus, it’s not like demanding Luke finds a hotel is going to change his mind. He’s picked that destination for a reason, and if you’d follow your GPS, you’d know why.” Scott grumbled from the back seat. “Most of the other teams are there or near there, and it means a faster stop for our point of interest tomorrow.”

“Linda, think about it this way. If I picked a hotel at random and you didn’t get a good night’s sleep for some weird reason, how much would you blame me? My hypothesis is that you’d pin it 100% on me, which isn’t fair, and it isn’t fair that I have to listen to your complaining for almost 110 miles already that you’re tired. I’m overheating, but you don’t hear me complaining, or turning the air conditioning to full blast. Yet you insist on opening your mouth and complaining, and filling the car with hot air!” Luke said, still driving toward their destination.

After a few more minutes of driving, Luke did a really shoddy parking job at the Great Highway Inn. He turned on the car alarm, then headed inside and requested three rooms, one for Scott, one for Amy and Linda, and one for himself. After getting that arrangement confirmed and keys given out, they headed to their respective rooms for the night.

Scott pretty much collapsed across the bed, exhausted from the long journey. Amy and Linda took a bed each in their room, and were out in seconds. Luke closed the window, cranked the air conditioning to full blast, and turned the temperature all the way down, trying to get the room as cold as he could.

Aftermath

Car condition: Running okay.

Team condition: Patience is running thin with Linda.

MRL: +16 (-2) - Bigger fight in the car, everyone’s tired/overheated.
FTG: +19 (+5) - Way late, too long in the car, big fight, and it’s bloody hot in the car.

7 Likes

#Team ‘Southend or Bust’
Original Post - Previous Post

“Wow” said James, staring up at the huge red tower as they went under it. “I can’t believe we’re on this actual bridge”.
“Something special ain’t it” said Martin. “Wake up Seb, you’ll miss it”.
Seb stirred and said something, before suddenly falling back to sleep. “Huh!” he then jolted and said suddenly. “Is this actually it?”
“Yep” said Martin.
The views were fantastic, While it was dark, they could make out the details, and the distinctive red paint. And, to their right and up ahead was at last San Francisco.

They came to the end of the bridge.
“I’m glad we all saw that together guys” said James.
“Same” said Seb. “Quite something, isn’t it” he said while yawning.
“Time to find a hotel I think” said James.
“Yes” said Martin. “They recommended a place called the Great Highway Inn, take a right here”

Having parked up and unloaded some clothes, the boys went into the lobby. Evidently, just looking at the car park told them that they weren’t alone.

“Ah look, it’s Twin Snail” said Martin cheerily as they got into the queue.
Luke looked over and smiled, but evidently the team were not in the best of moods and so kept quiet.
“What’s up with them?” whispered James.
“No idea” replied Martin.

After Twin Snail had had their rooms sorted, it was Southend’s turn.
“Hiya, can we have three single rooms please” asked Martin, confidently.
The lady at the desk typed away at her computer for a few moments. “I’m sorry sir, we only have one room left and it’s a twin double bed room”
The boys all looked at each other.

“I am not sleeping in a bed with you” said James, stubbornly.
“James, we’re going tops and tails. It’s fine” said Seb.
“STILL”
“Oh my fucking god James, just go to bed, we all know you want to anyway”
James fired a fierce gaze at Martin, while Seb laughed. “I will bury you” said James.
“Sorry what?” said Martin. “Did you just quote Khrushchev in that documentary we watched?”
“YES MARTIN, IT FELT APPROPRIATE” replied James, very sternly. “Why can’t you just sleep in his bed? Please?”

Martin, who by this point had got changed and was already in bed, turned over to him. “Alright, how about we do this”.
He got up, moved the side cabinet between the two beds out of the way, and then pushed both doubles together.
“There James. Now we’re all in the same bed” Martin said sarcastically.
“Yeah but what about duvets? I’m in the middle”
“Check the cupboard, there’s usually a spare” said Seb, clearly very tired.

James sighed. “Goddammit guys” he huffed.
“I hope you’re not like this fussy anyone else who shares your bed” said Martin. Seb sniggered.
“Ha ha” said James sarcastically. “At least people actually want to sleep with me”
“Ooooh, ouchy, I’m so hurt James” said Martin. “Last time I checked, you were on a bit of a dry spell actually, and, er, I’m not”
“Savage!” said Seb, laughing.
“Hey Martin how about we talk about that time you tried talking dirty eh?” James fired back. Seb was loving this.
“Oooh ok James, but first how about New Years 2015?”

Suddenly, there was a knocking on the wall. The boys went silent.
“I think someone would like us to shut up” said Seb.
“Yeah, me” said James.
“Don’t sulk mate” said Martin, chuckling.
“I’m not” said James.
“You so are” said Martin.

They did get to sleep, eventually…

6 Likes

Team Mr. Hankey
Saturday 6-8pm

Toni was back behind the wheel as Bill and the Wookiee debated the merits and pitfalls of AT-ST travel through a forest of little bear-people.
Wookiee: It’s all highway until we get there.
Bill: So, there’s no getting out until then?
Wookiee: What? We just got back in!
Bill: That was an hour ago.
Wookiee: Toni, is it going to be ok if we go a little faster. There’s a whine coming from the back end.
Bill: I’m hungry… I’m thirsty…I’m tired.
Toni (mutters): Someone shoot me now.
Wookiee: We agreed we’d keep going until we got to the hotel. Why do you make my head hurt?
Bill: Because you deserve it.
Toni: 160 kays to go. If you boys behave, I’ll buy you an ice cream and a toy when we get there. I can’t figure out what’s worse, this mother-ticking lifter, or you two!
Bill: He started it.
Wookiee: WHAT!?!
As usual, Mr Hankey smiled, and said nothing…oh, wait, that’s Gnome from Larry the Lawnmower.

8-10pm
Bill: This has to be the place. Look. That’s the boglicker, those writer guys from Sydney. And that orange coupe thing. That’s running too, isn’t it?
Toni: Yes, boy. Sit. Stay. Wookiee, see if you can grab a room… or two.
Wookiee: On it. (walks off toward reception)

Toni: Bill, you sort out the bags. When Wookiee finds us rooms, take the stuff up. I’m going to check the car.

While Toni was looking for any other problems that may have surfaced over the last 1,100 miles, Wookiee came back with news, and a single key.
Wookiee: Toni, Last room with 3 singles. You think we could maybe hide there and lock him out?
Bill: I’m here, you know.
Wookiee: Yeah, yeah.
The three fell asleep dreaming of the free breakfast in the morning, after deciding that Wookiee would take the wheel.

6 Likes