The official AMW thread - 2024 AMW Phoenix

It’s hard to get a sense of it in sandbox as there’s little in the way of consequence (and thus I see quite a few companies that have a somewhat skewed idea of what’s realistic costs or not). But the mechanism is not yet complete anyway. What I’m doing (though this doesn’t work for everybody), is I have a balance sheet with my projected costs which I add to or subtract from depending on what components I’m outsourcing, and it carries over from year to year depending on my assessment of sales. I’m trying to model my financial turnover around companies of similar magnitude (Pagani and Koenigsegg have between 4-5 dozen employees each, Koenigsegg has an annual turnover of 10-13 million Euro), plus sponsorship/investment. But that’s easy for me because I only have one or at a stretch two production lines (the second of which had to be culled due to mounting maintenance demands). Once the tycoon part of the game’s done, I’m sure the game will take all of that into account in its mechanics.

AMW is back, as I finally decided to register to the new Automation forums. Introducing the 1974 AMW Cricket, built for the CSR81, the 1974 Personal Oil Crisis challenge.

Featuring a 1.4L NA I4 engine with 57hp, it’s not fast, but it will get good gas mileage and it will be a very reliable daily driver that’s easy to drive, comfortable, and won’t let you down. There’s even a slight little bit of sportiness, too, as this car is very light and has a state-of-the-art 5-speed manual gearbox. Don’t expect to set any speed records, though. At least not with this one.

But maybe this one will suit you a bit better, the Cricket Sport with a 1.8L NA I4 pushing 117hp.

Apart from the larger and stronger engine and the revised looks, this also gets larger tyres and rims, bigger brakes (with discs all around, as opposed to rear drum brakes) and an upgraded interior. It’ll do 0-100km/h in 8.9 seconds, which is quicker than the legendary Golf GTI Mk1 that would follow in 1976.
This one, however, is not particularly economical. But at least it’s quick, right?

3 Likes

Welcome back, looking forward for more cars coming from you !

1 Like

Introducing the 1995 AMW Buzzard, an entry-level GT available with an Inline 6 and a V8 engine.

The Inline 6 version has the basic design, with 16" rims on 225mm medium-compound tyres on all 4 corners. It comes with a 2.3L turbocharged I6 which makes 205hp and is very smooth and provides enough power to get the car from 0-100km/h in 7.5 seconds.

The engine features Dual overhead cams with 4 valves per cylinder, as well as multi point injection. The turbo reaches its maximum boost at around 2500RPM, encouraging spirited driving or mid-RPM cruising. While it’s not the most economical engine, you’ll forgive it because it is just so smooth.

The V8 version comes with a 5.0L naturally aspirated engine with plenty of low-RPM torque and a maximum of 320hp. Trust me, you’ll never be wanting for torque in this car.

This V8 has 5 valves per cylinder, allowing for better efficiency and airflow than a 4-valve system. It too comes with multi point injection, as well as a dual exhaust system.
Despite the 130kg+ higher weight of the V8 version, it goes from 0-100km/h in just 6 seconds. That, however, is not the only reason why this costs 50% more than the I6 one. It has revised gear ratios and the engine is so eager that we had to limit the top speed to 250km/h. On top of that, this has 245mm tyres on the front and 255mm tyres on the rear with a sports compound. The rims are 17" on this one. The brakes are bigger than on the I6 as well, and the V8 comes with semi-active dampers and sway bars unlike the I6. Also unlike the I6, the V8 version comes with ABS + traction control as opposed to just ABS, and it sits 20mm lower to allow for better cornering, without compromising ride quality.

All in all, the Buzzard is a GT car that can be a makeshift 4-seater family coupe if daddy brought the car with him before they had kids. It’s easy to drive and has good grunt, even in the I6 trim. It has plenty of trunk space, it rides well and it’s well made so it will be very reliable. Fuel economy isn’t it’s strong suit, but it wasn’t built for that. It was built for driving pleasure.

6 Likes

Introducing the 2001 AMW Mantis, a city hatchback powered by a range of 4-cylinder engines

The Mantis is a RWD city hatchback with a 6-speed manual transmission for both better economy and increased driving pleasure. It has 4 doors, 4 seats and just about what you’d expect inside of a small city hatchback. It’s not overly complex to save costs, weight and make it a bit more reliable. The front suspension is a McPherson strut setup, on the rear you get Multilink suspension.

You can choose between a 1.4L, a 1.6L, a 1.8L or a turbocharged 1.8L engine. The latter comes on 205mm tyres of medium compound all around, the rest on 195mm hard long-life tyres.

But if you want something a bit more spicy, you can get this, the Mantis HP

It comes with a 2.0L turbocharged I4 engine, making 210hp which is enough to get this car from 0-100km/h in 6 seconds. Top speed is “only” 226km/h, but in a car this small, it feels a lot faster. And it’s not about top speed anyway, this car loves the corners. That’s because it comes on sports tyres, which are also wider than on all other models, and it has an electric diff as opposed to a Viscous. It gets an upgraded CD player, bigger brakes and some aerodynamic features to increase cornering performance even further. It is priced to compete with the Golf GTI, but it will perform better than the GTI in terms of acceleration and cornering. The Golf is bigger, though, making it more versatile for customers who want better every day usability.

2001%20AMW%20Mantis

Let me know what you guys think!

1 Like

Holy shit Tom’s back! Welcome back. just like old times except not really lol

While you were gone I started developing my own hatch, from a different company, so now there’s a little bit of overlap for competition purposes. (But I haven’t made a thread for the company, just used it in a lot of challenges).

1 Like

I didn’t know if you were still active, strop! Good to see you again! :slight_smile:

2020 AMW Eagle concept

These days it’s getting harder and harder to sell sports cars. The average driver who buys a car with more than, say 200hp, buys either a hot hatch or an SUV, or a bit less commonly a big sedan/wagon. This is why the Eagle, AMW’s signature front-engined sports coupe, has had a rough time in the past few years. Because of this, we decided to cut down the amount of available models, and reduce them to 2 for now. We also moved this car from being an entry-level sports car to mid-level sports car because the market for cheap sports cars already has 3 Toyota GT86s, the Mazda MX-5 and, to a lesser extent, the Lotus Elise.

To do this without compromising the main characteristics of the Eagle, we developed a 3.2L I6 block because people loved the smoothness of the I6s from previous generations. We also made a smaller 2.5L version of it from the same block. We turbocharged both, and the result was the Eco 6 and the Sport 6 trims. From the outside, they both look identical, except that the Sport 6 has bigger rims and sits slightly lower. Displayed below is the Sport 6, with a front shot in black and then a rear 3/4 shot in black and all the other available colors Midnight Blue, Crimson, Orange, Sky Blue, Frog Green, Alpine White and Bronze Metallic.

HighresScreenshot00071HighresScreenshot00072HighresScreenshot00073
HighresScreenshot00074HighresScreenshot00077HighresScreenshot00075HighresScreenshot00076

Inside, both cars will greet you with fine leather seats and dashboards of Premium quality, as well as a premium infotainment system, to better justify the now increased prices. Both come with either a 7-speed manual or a 7-speed double-clutch gearbox because these days, even sports cars must have some form of automated gearbox available in order to remain profitable. The upside to the double-clutch, of course, is faster shift times for better numbers, as well as better fuel economy. With the double-clutch transmission, the Eco 6 will actually return 35mpg (US). Not bad for a sports car, huh?

Here’s a chart with the stats for the two available versions. If people like them and demand increases, we might make a third version, possibly with a V8. What do you guys think?

2020%20AMW%20Eagle

4 Likes

Here’s the next 2020 concept, the new generation of the Capricorn!

With a V8 and a V12 version available, this thing can go almost anywhere. And wherever it does go, it’s going fast, I can tell you that much. That’s because the V8 churns out 535hp, and the V12 makes 650hp with a colossal 1000Nm of torque (738lb/ft).
Inside, this car is very luxurious for the whole family of 5, and the trunk can hold either your personal belongings or your three dogs, even if they are of the St. Bernard breed.

These cars both come with two sets of tyres, a set of 245mm off-road tyres for offroading, and a set of road tyres as seen in the chart below. Obviously they both have AWD, and the power distribution is 40% front, 60% rear. Both also feature an electric diff, for a good compromise between on-road and off-road performance.

2020%20AMW%20Capricorn%20stats

The price is certainly not cheap, but this does everything that a Porsche Cayenne Turbo S does, and that’s not a cheap car either. Of course, there are other rivals as well, like the X5M, the GLE 63 AMG and others.
The Bentley Bentayga and Rolls Royce Cullinan are not necessarily in the same category of car, for two reasons: Price, which is much higher, and performance capabilities, which aren’t as strong as the Capricorn. The Bentayga is very fast in a straight line, but it doesn’t handle particularly well, unlike the Capricorn.

The Capricorn is the car you want if you value both on-road and off-road performance, and if you want comfort but also a satisfying engine sound. It’s not cheap, but the price is fair compared to its competitors, I would say.

What’s more, the Capricorn was also a great reason for us to develop a V8. So we thought it would be a good idea to create a 4.8L twin-turbo V8 based on the Capricorn’s 5.2, retune it, and stuff it into the Eagle chassis. The result is the Eagle HP

While 560hp may be less than previous generations, with its AWD system it still gets great acceleration and grip. Thanks to the 275mm tyres all around and a lot of downforce, it is an amazing performance car on the track, despite weighing just about 1750kg.
2020%20AMW%20Eagle%20HP%20stats

Unlike the other versions of the Eagle, this actually gets a premium HUD, as opposed to regular premium Infotainment. It too gets surprisingly good MPG, keeping environmentalists relatively happy, or at least remotely happy.
This car actually runs a 10.8s on the Quarter Mile (in BeamNG on the Drag Strip) which makes the Eagle HP both faster and less expensive than a current Corvette Z06. Probably easier to drive, too, give that it’s AWD.

What do you guys think? Would you buy a Capricorn if you wanted a big, powerful luxury SUV? Why/why not?

5 Likes

(the following car was built for the CSR82 challenge)

The AMW Kestrel is a rear-engined RWD GT car that attempts to blend Italian styling with German engineering. You may recognize the body shape from a legendary Italian car maker’s sports coupe, in fact.

The engine, however, is a turbocharged Boxer 6, just like you’d find in Germany’s finest sports car. It’s both smooth and powerful, both high-revving and quiet. A perfect combination for this type of car, really.

This blend, then, makes for a very unique and interesting car indeed. A quick one, too, as it will do 0-100km/h in less than 5 seconds, thanks to the 350hp that it makes. The top speed is an impressive 281km/h. It also rides well, and it has all the luxuries you could ever think of inside the car. Heated seats, cruise control, a Bang & Olufsen sound system, you name it.

On top of this, the car is very light, despite all the gizmos and luxuries on the inside. It only weighs 1374kg, partly thanks to the all-aluminium body, and partly thanks to the rear-engined layout, which saves weight compared to a front-engined RWD layout.

The light weight and sports tyres allow this car to corner at 1.1g effortlessly, despite not having any aerodynamic fixtures or crazy aggressive camber. It’s responsive, yet predictable and not as unwieldy as early 911s at all.

As long as you have a gas station nearby, this car will be a businessman’s friend in pretty much any situation. And all of this for just under 42.000$ (0% mark-up, as the challenge asked for)

2 Likes

Cool designs! Just want to mention that you can get better economy and power by using 4v + VVL instead of 5v.

Thanks man! I’ve done many tests 4v + VVL vs. 5v a while ago, and the 5v setup always won. More power when everything’s maxed, and better economy when tuning for efficiency. It’s lighter, too. However, things may have changed since I did those tests, maybe 4v + VVL is better now…
Anyway, the 5v setup has sort of become tradition for AMW, which is why I stick with it for these cars. :wink:

1 Like

You’re right about when you’re going max efficiency or max power, but it provides the best balance, which is why I use it for anything that’s not a super high-performance engine.

For N/A engines maybe, but for turbo engines, I found it makes very little difference. And the way you tune the turbos is much more significant to the results than whether you have VVL or 5V from what I’ve found.

2 Likes

Below is my entry for the CSR83 challenge, the 1985 AMW Sparrow

These days, sports cars are hard to afford. The AMW Sparrow is one example of a car trying to change this. It costs less than 9000$, it comes with a 4-speed manual, rear-wheel drive and a newly developed Inline 6 engine, codenamed the 2424. Its name stands for 2.4 litres, 24 valves. Yes, that’s right, a DOHC 4-valve per cylinder Inline 6 in a car for less than 9000$. It makes a healthy 140hp, enough for any aspiring youngster.

What else do you get? How about Double Wishbone front and rear suspension, like on sports cars that cost 5 times more? 16" rims, too, and disc brakes all around.

The interior is focused on what you really need for driving. It does have a standard 8-track and standard 80s safety equipment, but the interior itself is just basic. The target audience for this car does not need fancy leather seats, though. They just want a car that drives, with a reasonable level of comfort and a great sporty feel.

That is what this car gives you. You can hit over 200km/h and you can kick the tail out, if you want to, but this level of power won’t really allow you to kill yourself. Unless you want to, of course.

CSR83 - TheTom - 1985 AMW Sparrow.car (28.9 KB)

2 Likes

Where can I find one?

I added the file to the previous post, go give it a try in BeamNG.drive

1 Like

Long time no see stranger :wink:

Great to see you here again, liking the return so far

3 Likes

I should probably give up trying to be funny…

Apologies for the bump after 3 years, I have been playing Automation but haven’t had much time to really sit down and design my own original cars just for fun and not for any kind of challenge, either my own or someone else’s.

This here is the 1998 AMW Cricket, originally intended for CSR143 but the AMW Engineers found that the challenge rules and the budget were a bit too restrictive for what they really wanted to do with this car. So who’s this for?

Well, if you like the idea of a 4x4 city car like the Subaru Justy or the Fiat Panda of the time, but you want a bit more space and a bit more oomph, that’s where this comes in. The Cricket is available in 2 trims, the 1.6 Eco without turbo and about 96hp (95.7 for those that need to know) and the 1.6 Sport with a turbo and 175hp. Both come with 4x4 and a manual locker which makes them exceptionally good on gravel and snow. Mind you, the low weight, short wheelbase and manual gearbox still makes them pretty fun on tarmac, too.

Here’s how the two compare side by side visually:

(yes, the Sport trim has the 3rd brake light below the numberplate rather than at the top because otherwise it would be obscured by the wing)

And here’s how they compare mechanically:

STATS

As is tradition, you can have a range of different colours besides the depicted Midnight Blue, so here’s a preview of all the other colours on the 1.6 Eco:

Available colours:

Crystalline blue:

Alpine White:

Cayenne Red:

Tangerine:

Lightning Yellow:

Mantis Green:

Black:

5 Likes