The official AMW thread - 2024 AMW Phoenix

Thanks :slight_smile: and yeah, we want this car to actually work (not for long, but should be good for a few 1 mile drag races, or maybe the Silver State Challenge). That way, at least some millionaires will see the point of this car because, let’s be honest, who would buy a car that costs more than a million bucks and doesn’t actually work? That being said, you wouldn’t really wanna drive this car every day anyway, only for long high speed drag races. This would certainly conquer the Moscow 500+ Unlimited event in Russia, and beat the crap out of those tuned GTRs, Vettes and Lambos.

I got 2 pieces of good news for you guys! A good one and a very good one :smiley:
So let’s start with the very good one.

Given that AMW has recently built very convincing driver’s cars, that prove to be not only exciting to drive but also well-priced compared to their rivals, as well as very reliable, I (as the company’s founder and CEO) went to Bärnbach, Austria, for an appointment with Ms. Angelika Kresch who is the CEO of a very famous Austrian exhaust manufactory. It’s no lesser than the world market leading sports exhaust factory, Remus.
And i’m very happy and excited to announce that Remus decided to collaborate with AMW. Ms. Kresch signed a contract saying that all AMW cars from this point onwards will be equipped with Remus exhaust systems as standard.
Now, Remus exhausts are mostly known for their characteristic low-pitched sound, but there’s more to it than that. They also provide slight improvements when it comes to power output, responsiveness, fuel economy and emissions (even compared to AMWs previously standard exhausts which are nothing to sneeze at).

So then, there you have it. All upcoming AMWs will feature Remus exhausts. Including good news #2 for today, which is the facelifted Mantis!

There will be various colours and engines available, but as before, the most popular variant is gonna be the 1.6L eco which now has an additional 1hp more than before. It’s not much, but it makes a difference!

Yes, it costs 18.000€ despite only being equipped with standard interior and basic entertainment. But then, it comes with all driver aids (except LC) and advanced safety features, so that you can enjoy this car safely even if you decide to turn the driver aids off. Also, you now get the best sounding car in the price category thanks to the Remus exhaust system, and with RWD, it’s also a much more exciting driving experience than a Polo or a Mito which may be comparable in size and price.

Greets,
Tom

1 day before the official start of the AGT championship, i decided to show you guys my car!

There is also a video on how i designed the car, and on my overall philosophy with it. youtube.com/watch?v=kTetR9xkRYc
But the suspension has been changed significantly (and some other parts of the setup have been optimised as well), compared to the video. It’s a lot faster now, thanks to the time i spent tuning the setup.

As you may have guessed by looking at my engine on the google spreadsheet, it’s a low-boost engine which means better responsiveness and better tameness. Obviously, there was the power limit of 750hp max. and that means i can’t have a power disadvantage as long as i make 750hp which i do. My hope is that the lower boost and smoother turbo setup will result in as much tameness as possible, making my car easier to drive and therefore faster.

Greets,
Tom

Hey guys! I know you all were only waiting for me to do a car with the new Corvette body :smiley: So here it is, the new Buzzard!

The Buzzard is a 2-door GT car that competes more with the Aston Martin Vanquish than with the Ferrari F12, because the F12 has absolutely silly performance, perhaps even too much performance to really enjoy what the car has to offer inside. After long and careful consideration, AMW decided to go for a 7.0L twin-turbo V8 with 700hp (or 701 to be precise) and put some nice luxury interior in there, plenty of sound insulation, all driver aids including LC, advanced safety, and a smooth 8-speed double-clutch gearbox. The result is a car that can accelerate from 0-200km/h in just under 10 seconds, and still cruise around town very comfortably and safely.

This carbon fibre, RWD car will cost you 225.000€ and of course, that’s a lot. But then, it’s more powerful and faster than the Vanquish, and it uses so muc less fuel that even rich people will consider its fuel economy as an argument for the Buzzard. Plus, it’s less expensive than the Vanquish which costs about 300.000€ here in Austria.

Greets,
Tom

Tom, I must concede that your designing skills have far surpassed anyone else on the forums. This is just showing off :slight_smile: . That car is amazing! The stats, although secondary to the looks, are just as potent.

The Buzzard’s taillights!

thanks to both of you! :slight_smile:

Hey guys! Today i present you the new design of the Grizzly which now uses the new saloon body. As always, it wears its characteristic “midnight blue” paint colour.

The grizzly competes with the Bentley Continental GT. It is definitely just as high quality on the inside as the Bentley, and like the Bentley it’s AWD and weighs well over 2 tons. But, while the Bentley is no slouch with its 6.0L twin-turbo W12 and 612hp, the Grizzly comes with a colossal 8.5L V8 which is now turbocharged (it was NA in the previous generation). That means it now makes 805hp. The Grizzly puts its power down to all four wheels via an 8-speed double-clutch gearbox. Its top speed is over 330km/h and it accelerates from 0-100km/h in 2.7 and from 0-200km/h in 8.7 seconds, absolutely annihilating the Bentley.

The price for this car is a whopping 270.000€ which makes it more expensive than the Bentley. But then, look at the prestige of this car. Everyone wants one. It’s not only very fast and good looking, it’s also luxurious, high quality and has acceptable fuel economy. Plus, who doesn’t like a big V8?

Greets,
Tom

Those are impressive stats and imposing (but classy) looks… it kind of reminds me of a meld of Ford Performance Vehicle with a classier touch of Infiniti on the front.

That said, I notice that the wheels are inset a long way from the wheel arches, which leads me to assume you flared the arches but didn’t give the wheels any offset, is that true and if so was that intentional?

oh sorry. I took the first two pictures before i did the engine and the trim, so it still had the default tires on it. I’ll edit that, thanks for pointing it out :slight_smile:

That rear end. . . God you’re good!

Thank you so much :smiley:

Hey guys! I know the Mantis has had a visual update rather recently, but the new patch came out after that. And with the new fixtures, AMW had to apply its new found signature grille, and some new headlights as well as a new front bumper. The rear end hasn’t changed (if you wanna check that out, go to page 13 please) but the engines and stats have.

First up, the 800cc engine has been thrown away. It is now replaced by a 1.2L turbocharged I4 with 103hp. Compared to the old 800cc version, this still gets “only” standard safety, but it now features standard (rather than basic) interior, basic entertainment (instead of none) and Traction and stability control which it didn’t have before. With all that stuff being added and the engine being reworked, of course it did get more expensive. Now it costs 15.000€ but it’s more powerful, faster, better equipped and more economical than before. 15.000€ is about the same price as the basic model Suzuki Swift here in Austria, but compared to the Swift, the Mantis 1.2 is more economical, faster (0-100km/h in 8.7 seconds), it handles better and it’s more fun because of the RWD setup. Plus, all Mantis versions feature Multilink rear suspension and a 6-speed manual gearbox. Think of this car, then, as the sportiest 1.2L hatchback you can get, and that will justify the price.

Then, there’s the 1.6L version which might still be the best selling Mantis but it’ll have some tough competition with the new 1.2L. The 1.6L is the first version with advanced, rather than standard safety features. Now, because of the new 6-speed manual gearbox, gearing changed just enough so that we couldn’t quite get the same fuel economy out of the engine as before, which meant we had to retune the engine slightly. The changes to the turbo setup brought this car back to the same fuel economy as before. Luckily, however, these changes also added another 5hp for a total of 131hp. 0-100km/h is dealt with in 8.2 seconds and its top speed is 225km/h, for a price of 18.000€.

Now it’s time to get to the 2.0L versions, and there’s only 3 of them instead of the previous 5. The reason for this is that the stats of some versions were so similar in acceleration and fuel economy (for example, the fun turbo was too similar in performance to the sport NA) that we figured it didn’t make much sense. Also, in times where most companies talk about downsizing, AMW decided to replace the I4 engines with turbocharged I6s instead. Why? Because the Mantis is a car for enthusiasts, and these customers will love the noise of the I6 + Remus combination. So, let’s finally get to the stats. First up is obviously the eco version, which is now 3hp stronger (163hp) and slightly more economical than before. It’ll do 0-100km/h in 6.7 seconds and it’s limited to 250km/h. The price for this model is 21.000€ which is totally justifyable if you look at what VW offers you for this price.

Next up is the 2.0L fun version. With 221hp it’s somewhere between the NA and turbo version of the previous generation Mantis. It gets you from 0-100km/h in 5.3 seconds and is also limited to 250km/h, like the eco version. Also, it will use less than 5l/100km and there’s easily enough power and torque to kick the tail out once you turn off the driver aids. A really enjoyable driving experience for just 23.000€!

Last, but definitely not least, there’s the 2.0L sport version which comes with either the standard 6-speed manual gearbox, or a 7-speed double-clutch gearbox. The engine produces 275hp and revs to 7500RPM. That is enough to propel the 1.1 ton hatchback from 0-100 in 4.8/4.7 seconds and from 0-200km/h in 14.0/13.7 seconds. Because of its superior power-to-weight ratio, it will out perform even a Mercedes A45 AMG over the quarter mile which it does in a jawdropping 12.72 seconds (manual gearbox), or 12.53 seconds (double-clutch).[size=85]as measured on the Tulsa Quarter Mile track[/size] Even so, it uses just as little fuel as the 90kW/122hp Golf TSi. So, beating an A45 AMG in acceleration while using just as little fuel as a 1.5L Golf TSi? Yup, and all that for just 25.000€ (manual) / 26.500€ (dct).

Greets,
Tom

PS: let me know which model (and which colour) you like best!

I edited the previous post because, seeing how fast the 2.0 sport was compared to its german rivals (A45 AMG, M135i, Audi RS3, Golf R) i thought i might retune it slightly and give it the HP tag because it was already almost 5 seconds faster from 0-200 than the A45 AMG! That’s crazy. So i retuned the 2.0 sport version’s engine slightly and cut power down to 275hp which is still plenty in a car this light, and that car will remain as the 2.0 sport version.

But now, ladies and gentlemen, here’s the HP version which look exactly the same as the other Mantis models, but beneath the surface it’s a lot more refined. First of all, the engine, which is now Magnesium/AlSi instead of plain Aluminium, shaving off 10kg of weight which not only makes the car lighter but also reduces the weight over the front axle → better weight distribution. Also, it makes 311hp instead of 303hp. The difference isn’t too big but look at that power curve:

It’s only available with the 7-speed dct now. The 2nd gear goes to just above 100km/h which is how i set up most of my cars. But when doing an acceleration test run, i noticed that after this car hits 3rd gear you’ll never get less than 300hp because of the power plateau between 6000RPM and the redline of 7700RPM, so the gearing happened to be accidentally perfect. [size=85]“accidentally perfect” was also my favorite result in a multiple choice test at school.[/size]
Anyway, this means that there’s pretty much always 300+hp available in this 1.1 ton hatchback. As a result, 0-200km/h now takes just 12.6 seconds, and the quarter mile is done in 12.12 seconds.

Alright, so much for the straight line performance. But what about the corners?
Well, the old 2.0 sport was already fairly quick around the Airfield track at 1:24.10 seconds which is 1 second faster than the BMW M135i. But of course, the HP had to be better. So it now gets 245 tires front and 275 tires rear, as opposed to the 225/255 setup previously used in the sport. In addition to that, the suspension has been refined and optimised for high cornering speeds. The handling of this car is very neutral with a slight tendency of understeer at the limit. That being said, the HP will still do the Airfield track in 1:22.93 seconds, making it faster than a Porsche 997 GT3 and that’s quite something for a small 2.0L hatchback, isn’t it?

Sure, some people might say “Hang on a minute. This is the same car as the 2.0 eco, just with a different engine setup, retuned suspension, and a different gearbox?” and the answer is: Yes. However, that also means that the price tag isn’t too steep. You can have this car for 35.000€ which makes it almost 10.000€ more expensive than the 2.0 sport dct, and that car is no slouch. But put that into perspective, i mean: you can have the Mantis HP for less money than the Golf R (or even a Golf GTI with Perfomance Pack), and yet it will out perform a 150.000€ Porsche 997 GT3. So i’d say that’s a fair price. Here’s an overview of its stats:

So… would you buy one or not? Give me some feedback on what you think about this car, whether or not you’d buy one and why/why not.

Greets,
Tom

Here comes AMW’s rival to the Porsche Panamera Turbo S and the BMW M6 Gran Coupe! It’s the Tiger, and it’s the only car in the segment that comes with an estate version as well.

http://i59.tinypic.com/a2w6yd.png http://i62.tinypic.com/sqgkk8.png

Both of these cars share the same 4.8L turbocharged Straight Six engine which developes 566hp and 767Nm of torque.

The power is delivered to only the rear wheels via an 8-speed double-clutch gearbox. And with all that power and torque going to only the rear wheels, it’s not a bad thing that those cars weigh 2 tons because the weight distribution is pretty good. With the nice power plateau and the quick gearshifts, that means that both of these cars will do 0-200km/h in under 12 seconds which makes them faster than the Porsche Panamera Turbo S. They are limited to 300km/h though.
But the Tiger is not only good in a straight line, it’ll also perform well on the Airfield track. It does an impressive 1:24.95 (saloon) / 1:24.82 (estate), faster than a Panamera Turbo, an old Exige S, or a BMW M135i.

On the inside, you get luxury interior and entertainment, advanced safety and all driver aids, including Launch Control. Here’s an overview of the stats:

Given that none of this car’s competitors are cheap (even the RS6 estate as a rival for the Tiger estate), neither is the Tiger. It will cost you 150.000€ which is good value, compared to its competitors. And like the BMW, it’s rear-wheel drive so you can abuse the torque to shred the tires whenever you please! :slight_smile:

Greets,
Tom

Nice design. How fast does it do the airfield track? For comparison I think an S8 starts from €100,000?

thanks! The saloon does the airfield track in 1:24.95, the estate does it in 1:25.82
And where can you buy an S8 for 100k?

$115k in America, which is something like 90k Euros.

S8 starts from about £78,800 in the UK, which at current exchange rate is about €100,000

Regardless, your cars are well priced; even if you dropped the price down to just over $100,000, that is still reasonable. My own rule is take the total cost (including production units) and multiply by 3 to get final price. Maybe multiply by 4 if its a premium car or your company is a prestigious one, which would equal about 105k-140k for standard to prestige. So actually, your original price of 150,000 is actually pretty reasonable :slight_smile:

that’s correct, if you convert the prices into € but sadly, prices start at 149.850€ (at least here in Austria where cars are more expensive). I also checked at the prices in Germany, and there it starts at 115.800€ but then again, the options list is long…