The official AMW thread - 2024 AMW Phoenix

Pretty similar story in Spain. It can be had for “as little as” €131,320. I hate how much cars cost in Spain :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey guys, today i’ll show you something really special! Don’t tell anybody about it, but you are the first to see a design study of a collaboration between AMW and BMW. The final car is going to be released in 2018 and it will be sold under both names with different front end “faces”, according to their respective company. It’s a big, RWD coupe that is used mostly as a GT cruiser so who knows, maybe it might be the 8series reborn??
Anyway, here’s how the BMW looks:

The AMW version (which doesn’t have a name yet) will look like this:

Both cars will have identical rear ends.

Also, i can’t show you screenshots of the engine or stats, as i shall keep that a secret. However, i can tell you that the engine will be a twin-turbocharged V8 with somewhere between 4 and 5 litres of capacity, about 100hp/l and great fuel economy. So great in fact, that the car will be on the same level of fuel consumption as a current 320i, despite weighing about 2 tons and hitting 100km/h in just 4 seconds.

Now the question is: would you be interested in buying one? And which one do you prefer? Prices are still not set but being an 8series, expect it to be more expensive than a 7series with similar power output.

Greets,
Tom

Hey guys! You know, currently i’m revising “old” cars to fit the “new” AMW design language with the signature grille in the front, and the head- / taillight technique i currently use. This time, i show you the new Mamba. As always, the Mamba is a small budget mid-engined sports car similar to a Lotus Elise. That is why you only get standard interior with no entertainment (because we don’t count a stereo and air conditioning as entertainment), ABS and power steering as your only assists and premium safety equipment (which is nice if you underestimate the car’s speed).

[size=150]Front end design[/size]

On the front, we find a long version of the AMW signature grille, as well as some pointy headlights. These, along with the sporty front bumper design and the lip, show the car’s sporty nature.

[size=150]Rear end design[/size]

On the rear end, you can see a subtle wing for additional downforce, GT stripes and some vents over the engine bay to help with the cooling. Also, the taillights are modern and sporty, and the oval chrome exhaust as well as the complex rear bumper design round up the sports car’s back end design.

[size=150]Engines and models[/size]

The Mamba will be available in 3 different trims, all of which share the same 1.2L turbocharged Inline 4 engine block, and all of them come with a 6-speed manual gearbox. The entry level model features a 150hp version of the engine which not only makes for very good fuel consumption, but also for a 0-100km/h time of 5.6 seconds which is nothing to sneeze at. This is mainly because of the relatively short gearing, but also thanks to the low weight of just 936kg, and of course the good traction of the MR layout. This car is limited to 200km/h which i think is enough for the target group, that is young car enthusiasts (perhaps students) with a bit of spare cash. The entry level is yours for 20.000€.

The next trim is the Mamba 200, with the 200hp version of the same 1.2L turbocharged I4 engine. It is slightly less economical than the Mamba 150, but noticeably faster. 0-100km/h takes just 4.7 seconds, and the top speed is 230km/h. With the upgraded engine, suspension and aero, as well as some wider tires, the Mamba 200 costs 22.500€.

But of course, you can have more power. So if that’s what you want, go for the Mamba 250. It won’t disappoint you, trust me. This car will hit 100km/h after just 4.2 seconds and 200km/h after about 15 seconds which is proper sports car acceleration. However, the fuel economy is better than on many standard hatchbacks, and it’ll do about 250km/h top speed. This is a really entertaining car to drive because there are still no electronic driver aids, and the engine revs to 9500RPm. All that for just 25.500€.

Greets,
Tom

Hey guys! This time i want to show you the new design for the Sparrow and the Puma. As before, the Sparrow rivals the BMW 2series coupe, and the Sparrow competes with the Subaru WRX. It also wears its traditional Royal Blue paint colour.

The front features a sporty and aggressive bumper, as well as a thin but stretched version of the AMW signature grille to convey its sporty ambitions. So do the headlights which are sharp and pointy, with a relatively thick white indicator to accentuate the bottom line of the headlight arrangement.
http://i57.tinypic.com/24dmog7.png http://i59.tinypic.com/ebd0fm.png

On the rear end, you find some small red taillights with vents underneath them to create a bold look, which is supported by the massive rear bumper. You also get two chrome exhausts which deliver pure Remus 4-cylinder sound.
http://i59.tinypic.com/5cgdfr.png http://i60.tinypic.com/9ucakk.png

[size=150]Engine and stats[/size]

The engine remains unchanged, except for the now better exhaust system which makes for very slight fuel economy and emissions improvements.

The Sparrow and the Puma have a quite sporty setup, which is necessary if you wanna compete with other sports cars. But you get 4 seats in both cars, as well as all driver aids except launch control and premium safety features. They’re still very light, though, mainly because of the Aluminium chassis and Polymer body panels. Along with the 6-speed gearbox and RWD, that makes for a 0-100km/h acceleration of 4.7/4.8 seconds, and a 0-200km/h acceleration of under 15 seconds. Both of these cars, while performing at least on par with their competitors, are very economical at around 4.2l/100km. The price for each of them is 30.000€.

[size=150]Last but not least[/size]
here’s today’s Automation Episode in which you can see how to do the Sparrow’s design: youtube.com/watch?v=b8sq74F8vjQ

Greets,
Tom

Here’s a car that has taken a big step forward from its previous generation, especially when it comes to its looks. Introducing the new Kestrel

The Kestrel is the spiritual successor to the '65 Raptor which you find on page 8 on this thread, delivering not only a healthy amount of power and torque, but also lots of luxury. Of course, the looks have changed a lot, and you wouldn’t think that they’re related to each other just by looking at them. But both cars feature a 9.0L 40V NA V8 and a 4-speed manual gearbox.

On the front, you get the AMW signature grille in one of its largest variants yet, as well as some sharp and aggressive headlights which are accentuated with white indicators. The front bumper is nothing too fancy but there’s a certain elegance to it.

On the other side of the car, you’ll find some thin red taillights which look both elegant and futuristic. The rear bumper is complex and sporty and the 4 exhausts underline this car’s authentic stance.

[size=150]Engine and stats[/size]

The 9.0L 40V V8 now makes 745hp and revs to 5500RPM. That means that this car does 0-200km/h in 10.6 seconds, and it uses only 2 gears to do so. Once in 4th gear, the engine doesn’t stop pulling until you reach 350km/h at which point you hit the limiter. An important thing to note is that there’s no mufflers, but maximum sound insulation. The idea behind that is that this car will be loud on the outside, but not on the inside (at least not deafening). The price for this exotic and unusual luxury vehicle is 185.000€. This price includes a set of luxury interior and entertainment, all driver aids except launch control, and advanced safety options.

Also, the soundtrack of this car accelerating will be glorious and reminiscent of the old 60’s muscle cars with their big, low-revving V8s and long gearing. And that’s exactly what people are gonna love about this car. The retro feeling, but with modernized looks and internals.

Greets,
Tom

Hey guys! By now, you’ve probably heard of the Barely Street Legal League hosted by Strop from Gryphon Gear. And if you did, you may have seen the Brimstone.
In case you didn’t, here’s how it looks:

The Brimstone in the BSLL tournament is RWD because of the craziness this drivetrain adds, and because it was the only option to fit its 4.0L twin-turbo V8 producing 1150hp.

However, AMW thought that with the RWD setup, the Brimstone would be a car too dangerous to sell to the average (rich) guy out there since there’s no traction or stability control. That’s why they went on and downsized the engine to 3.2L, increased the rev limit to 10.000RPM, tweaked it some more, and went for an all-wheel-drive system. The traction is what allowed them to now make the body panels from Carbon fibre, rather than Aluminium (which was to add a bit of weight to improve weight distribution).
As a result, this car is even a lot faster than the RWD Brimstone in every aspect other than top speed. And there’s still no traction or stability control. Even so, the AWD Brimstone will, in the hands of a skilled driver, complete the Airfield Track in 1:14.36 and the Nordschleife in 7:11.44. I know the time on the Nordschleife is barely faster than a Corvette ZR1 which is not only about 500hp less powerful but also heavier, RWD only, and has a manual gearbox. But then, taking into consideration that the driver would shit him/herself on pretty much every occasion of accelerating, that’s not too bad. Despite being only a 3.2L, this engine pulls with more than 1g of longitudinal acceleration in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and even 4th gear. 0-100km/h takes 2.4s, 0-200km/h is done in just 5 seconds, and 0-300km/h takes less than 10 seconds. The standing Quarter Mile in Tulsa is completed in just 8.6 seconds.
Here are the stats:

The price fot this machine is 400.000€ and given the performance, that’s actually cheap. You can out accelerate any production car on sale today, and you can beat the crap out of almost anything on the racetrack. With traction and stability control installed, it would do the Airfield Track in 1:13.24, and the Nordschleife in 7:07.11 but then it wouldn’t be as terrifying as it is.

However, only few people would have the ability to drive this car the way it’s meant to be driven. In fact, most people would be too terrified to even buy it, maybe it’s just a little bit too much. And that’s why AMW have also prepared another version, the Brimstone 2.5. 2.5 stands for 2.5L of capacity, as this is a naturally aspirated, light-weight 4-wheel-drive car. It looks exactly the same as the other versions of the Brimstone, but the engine is now a 2.5L NA V8 that revs to 9500RPM and makes 334hp.
The key thing that makes this car so different (and so bloody fast) is weight, or rather lack thereof. That’s because the car is still made from carbon and it has no excess fat whatsoever. Weighing just 773kg, this carbon fibre AWD hatchback will do 0-100km/h in just 2.6 seconds, and because of the grip, downforce and low weight, it’ll do the Airfield Track in 1:16.10 because the top speed of 248.3km/h doesn’t matter on this track. On the Nordschleife, however, it does as there are quite some fast sections, which is why this car takes 7:43 to get round there.
As you might expect, though, the fuel consumption is just massively lower than on the hardcore model. And the price for this car is a rather reasonable 185.000€, making it less expensive than a Ferrari 458. The Brimstone 2.5 is the ideal car for tight and narrow tracks where grip and sharp turning matters. Here are its stats, including main stats overview, Airfield track time and Haruna Downhill time:

Greets,
Tom

You’re gonna be sad to hear this, maybe, bit the awd version would have owned in the bsll. Not enough to win, no, but certainly enough to move it sharply towards the top of the table!

that’s exactly why i told you i was mad at myself (in the one PM i sent you). And the RWD version is kind of a compromised version of what it originally used to be, so it won’t win any craziness awards anyway. However, i’m also pretty pleased with the performance of the Brimstone 4 because who else has a 1.6L hatchback that can out perform a Ferrari 458?

I want one. But that one I can’t afford D:

Wanna know something ridiculous? In the following screenshot, the white times are set by the Brimstone 4, the red ones by the V8 AWD Brimstone:

That Brimstone 4 is pretty quick! (And better suited to the touge, I bet it’d be much less scary to drive. If you remember Dragawn’s thread about downhill in a cheap sports car, you can see what kind of times we were getting there, though I strongly suspect that since it was in an earlier build we’d struggle to hit the same times with the same budget).

You wanna know something crazy? The FF “Peapod”, still in FF but nerfed to 1hp:kg, gets down the mountain in 4:38 (though with driving aids, surely your car would be that much faster with them)! :open_mouth:

Weight is key on a track like Haruna, but sincerely… a 300hp hatch that’s almost as quick down the mountain as the mighty 2000hp Mephisto? That’s crazy.

For ‘research purposes’ I was watching a bunch of head to head touge races on various passes. For real, a 195hp MR2 easily beat a 320hp turbo S15! Not to mention just how badly a lightly tuned AE86 destroyed the 350hp BNR32, wasn’t even in sight at the finish line… and considering just how dominante the BNR32 was when it entered touring car racing, that’s saying something about what kind of car suits the touge!

In that sense, I’m surprised that a mega-GTR like the Mephisto actually goes so fast on Haruna, but that of course is with all the aids on. Turn them off and I think the time would increase considerably… or in real life, probably go straight through the barriers doing 250 and explode into a ball of flames at the bottom of the mountain :laughing:

You’re right, control is everything on the touge, power is secondary. And on that note, amazing work on the Mephisto, it sure as hell is not an easy task to make a 2000hp car driveable like that!
What amazed me too was when i tested the Mantis HP which is by no means tuned for the fastest track times (it has no wings, and only 1 front lip and 1 back lip, mainly for aesthetic reasons; it doesn’t make much downforce and it gets the same equipment as every other Mantis, including advanced safety features) did a time of 4:54.60, only 3 seconds behind the full-on 3.2L AWD Brimstone. Looks like i clearly had no idea what kind of car would be best here, as i expected the Mantis HP to finish in like 5:15 or so. Oh, hell no.
The Brimstone 4 is the 3rd fastest car i’ve ever tested on Haruna, beating an AWD version of the Anaconda R with the Brimstone AWD’s 3.2L engine. Only the NA Anacondas (the standard with the 4.8L, 780hp as well as the R with the 6.0L 978hp V8 engines) are faster, the R completes the course in 4:32.87.

Forget everything i’ve said about the Brimstone 4. With a 2.5L NA V8 it’s quite a bit faster still, check the previous page :slight_smile:

Now that’s a proper driver’s racing car! Though it’s an odd market, the pricing of a supercar, but in a way its performance is more like, say, the old B group rally cars like the RS200. Actually that’s a really good market to appeal to, though I wonder how much of this you can achieve with lower production hours.

What was the formula you used to calculate MSRP?

i don’t use any sort of formula for calculating my prices. I check what cars each particular model competes with, then see how my car stacks up, then take a first guess at what price it might be and check if that’s realistic with the given costs. If not, the price is increased or decreased until i think it’s appropriate.

Now’s the time for a car that unites oldschool concepts with new-school technologies.

Engine

OLD: huge V8
NEW: twin-turbo, 40V

Body:

OLD: Shape
NEW: materials (carbon fibre)

Gearbox:

OLD: 4 speeds
NEW: double-clutch

Introducing the AMW Godzilla. Since pictures say more than words, i’ll let the pictures speak for themselves.

hahahahaha holy crap that’s the perfect rival on the drag strip for The Hulk, only a fraction of the cost.

What times is The Hulk running over the quarter mile?