The official AMW thread - 2024 AMW Phoenix

Mamba has really 1000cc engine?

Yes, 999cc.

With the new Mamba came a new design language for AMW when it comes to rear-end designs. So fist up in the line of facelifts is the Mantis, which was formerly the car all other AMWs would follow design-wise. And here it is:

Like in its previous generation, there’s 7 different engines, ranging from 90hp to 370hp (in the HP model). Even in its base trim, the “Mantis 90” (for 90hp) you get 4 standard seats, standard Infotainment, ABS, power steering, Traction and stability control as well as advanced safety features. Apart from that, all models share the same Aluminium chassis and plastic body panels. Not amazing for prestige, but plastic is cheap and light. Speaking of weight, all Mantis models are significantly lighter than comparable VW Golf/BMW 1series/Mercedes A-class/(god forbid) Audi A3 variants.
That, as well as the carefully tuned engines, is why the 90hp version, the standard 1.4, the 1.6 and the 1.8 eco will only use 3.7-3.8l/100km. So how about that, VW? 90-159hp in the same car with basically no increase in fuel consumption.
Plus, the 90hp version will only cost 17.000€ which is at least 2.000€ less than a Golf with 85hp (in its base trim, but the options list is long; whereas the Mantis comes with all of its available options as standard).

Of course, you might be saying there has to be a drawback. That is in this case people’s conservativeness, and their anxiety about the car’s rear-wheel drive. Many people think that even with all the driver aids in today’s age, RWD is dangerous. Well, look at this safety value then.

What do you guys think? Would buy one over a VW Golf? Why/why not?

Greets,
Tom

The new Puma is here, and it’s ready to rock the world of sporty compact sedans!

The Puma’s main rival will be the Subaru WRX, an established topseller in its very own class. However, whereas the Suby has recently been affected by Downsizing (it now has a turbocharged version of the 2.0 FRS engine, as opposed to its former 2.5L), the Puma will come with a 2.5L turbocharged Inline 6 engine producing 282hp.

Like the WRX, the Puma comes with AWD as standard, and it also features a 6-speed manual gearbox. Combine that with the engine’s power output, and you get a 0-100km/h time of 4.8 seconds and a topspeed of 261km/h. Not too shabby for a 40.000€ sports sedan, eh?
And on top of that, it’ll only use 6.3l/100km, less than a current BMW 328i (which is also less powerful, slower and more expensive).

What do you think? Do you like the design?

Greets,
Tom

I like almost all of your designs. Good to see that one of somewhat better and famous car artist is still on the road.

Thanks! I appreciate your feedback!

These days, if you want an exotic entry-level supercar, a McLaren 12C, and Audi R8 or a Ferrari 458 isn’t gonna do the job because these are too mainstream. However, if you want performance to be on par with Europe’s finest (or on some tracks even better) for around 200.000€, there’s AMW’s new model for this market: the Aspis.

With a 5.0L NA V8 producing 633hp, it’s certainly not underpowered. It’s not top-of-the-line considering the McLaren 650S has more power and torque, but then the Aspis weighs less than 1250kg.
The chassis and panels are carbon fibre, as you would expect. So are the brakes, with 6 pistons in the front and 4 pistons in the rear.
The power from the V8 engine is going through a 7-speed double-clutch gearbox to only the rear wheels. However, with 355mm rear tires and 23 inch rims (anything smaller than that would have resulted in a very oversteering handling even without applying throttle), it puts the power down well enough to do 0-100km/h in 2.7 seconds and the quarter mile in less than 10 seconds.

The top speed of 326km/h (203mph) doesn’t sound that impressive any more, given what kind of performance we’re used to from today’s supercars. But this car generates enough downforce to out perform every european supercar in its price class, even the fantastic Lamborghini Huracan, around the Airfield track. It does that in 1:15.18 seconds. Also, this car is so well balanced that it will run down Mount Haruna in 4:37.
Still not impressed? How about its reliability and fuel economy in relation to this performance, then?

Considering these stats and its performance compared to its main rivals, 200.000€ seems like a fair price, doesn’t it?
Would you buy one? Why / why not?

Greets,
Tom

Brace yourselves, the new Royal has arrived!

As always, this is AMW’s top-of-the-line luxury flagship saloon. With updated looks, engine and interior as well as revised aerodynamics, this car is ready to rule the world of high-class luxury saloons.

The looks are elegant for sure, but they are also very much modern, unlike some of its real-life rivals. And you know why? Because this car isn’t aimed at 80+ year-olds, instead it should attract young or middle-aged (and rich) people who aren’t afraid to try out something new. [size=75](Mark Zuckerberg is a good example)[/size] You get LEDs in the front, a good bit of chrome details on the front bumper and the sides, as well as some futuristic taillights surrounded by chrome. This isn’t for everyone, but then again, not everyone can afford this car to begin with.

AMW’s engineers have built a completely new 10.0L diesel engine for this car, putting out 10hp more, and a load more torque than the previous generation’s engine, however the fuel efficiency did not suffer. Now you get 669hp (660bhp), 1346Nm of torque (that’s 992 lb ft) but still 40% efficiency. The engine is now also running 0.75 bar of maximum boost, as opposed to the previous engine’s 0.55 bar.
The gearbox is still an 8-speed double-clutch gearbox with automatic mode, and it still puts the power down to all 4 wheels. It does that through an electric LSD with a power distribution of 45/55%.

The interior is another big change and it’s very different from Rolls’ and Bentley’s. Instead of old-fashioned wood and analogue clocks, you get carbon fibre, leather, polished aluminium and beautiful digital instruments. Of course, this car is equipped with all the electric features known to man, and even a bit beyond that. Even if your grandma had enough money to buy this car, she wouldn’t know how to use all its features. And that’s totally okay, because while we appreciate every customer we can get, this car is more for your uncle, a wealthy businessman who just had his 38th birthday and likes his car to look and feel contemporary/futuristic and, of course, high quality.

As far as aerodynamics are concerned, the Royal is class-leading with its sleek shape (relatively speaking, of course) and up-to-date technology, such as cooling vents that only open when needed, otherwise they’re hidden.

The result is a nearly 2.7ton car that will do 0-100km/h in 3.9 seconds, 337km/h top speed, the standing quarter mile in less than 12 seconds and all that while using an astonishing 8.2L/100km (28.6mpg US, 34.3mpg UK).
How’s that possible? Through UPSIZING! Instead of using a smaller engine that would produce more power, we decided to keep this engine at the 10.0L mark so that we would stand even prouder in front of the final result here. If we’d used, say, an 8.0L that would still be enormous but even if it had put out the same power, it wouldn’t have been as quick or as economical because we’d have to tune it way more aggressively to achieve similar numbers.

If you’re wondering why this car is about 140kg lighter than its predecessor, it’s mainly because we’ve thrown the middle rear seat out in order to have space for a small fridge between the two rear seats. That fridge contains a fine bottle of champaign upon purchase, but of course it’s also good enough for some beer if you so choose.

One thing that hasn’t changed at all, for better or for worse, is the price: 1 million €. Is it worth that sort of money? Of course, because long story short: It combines the things we’re used to in flagship saloons (elegant appearance, high quality interior, high-tech safety equipment, etc.) with things we’re not really used to in this sort of car (fast 0-100km/h time, futuristic interior, low fuel consumption).

What do you think?

Greets,
Tom

Today is the 1 year anniversary of this thread. Also, a few days ago we crossed the magical [size=150]10.000[/size] views mark!

So I’d like to thank all of you for continuing the support, thanks for checking this thread out, and I am happy to own one of the most viewed car design threads!

Let’s take this special opportunity to celebrate another one of AMW’s forgotten design concepts, this one is from 1981 and it’s called the Taurus.

When this car made its debut at the 1981 Geneva Auto show, it received heavy criticism. Not only for its looks which, according to people, were just a failed attempt to try and steal the Lamborghini Countach’s show. The main point of criticism apart from the basic silhouette with the silly “normally-numberplate-holder” panel standing out at the rear end, the wing, the fact that you can’t see out of it, the quad exhausts, and what even are those taillights??! Triangular, with rounded edges?! A no-go for its day and age, that’s what the design was. And then there’s the engine, a 4.0L V8 that revs to 8000RPM (and makes 425hp) is something you don’t even find in a Ferrari, and of course a naturally aspirated engine with more than 100hp/L can’t last for very long.
On top of that, who dares to build a 425hp car that has naturally oversteering handling?
But the main reason why this car never made it into production is that Ford wanted to avoid any confusions between it and the Ford Taunus. Silly, but true. So it was back to the drawing boards for the Austrian engineers.

Today, however, this car is seen as a gem. A little unrefined, but very valuable as something that can be turned into a fantastic car (like the Serpent, which derived from this car). It made a proper supercar noise, and it weighed less than 1100kg!

That made for absolutely stellar acceleration figures, including 0-100km/h in 4.5 seconds, a Quarter mile time of 12.00 seconds, and a top speed of 300km/h!

Today it is displayed in AMW’s own museum, still running and looking like new. It may have never reached customers. But the memory remains.

Greets and another big THANK YOU,
Tom

Front and sideview is great, but somehow the taillights are not my taste. The back itself is ok, but the triangle lights are a little bit ‘out of the norm’. Everything is square, except those lights.

But what i like the most is the good economy combined with so much power and the low total costs. Efficiency. :slight_smile:

Thanks! And yes, AMW has always been a company to try and make designs stand out from the crowd, and since everyone in the 80’s was using either circular or rectangular taillights, they tried triangular ones for this concept car. Sure, they weren’t well-received but they were different. People knew this was no ordinary car, even if they didn’t like it.

I have to admit, the total costs could be quite a bit lower if this car wasn’t made from fibreglass. But that makes it light, and i actually agree about the fuel economy considering this is 1981 and it’s a 425hp V8.

Today i’d like to show you another classic AMW design concept, it’s the 1970 Hekate.

In ancient Greek mythology, Hekate was the only godess besides Zeus that could fulfill all your wishes. However, another thing that only her and Zeus could do, is take away your everything if she feels it’s right. So she had two faces and great power.

And this name actually describes the car better than anything else. It’s got all the ingredients of what people might desire in a car: Loads of power (565hp from a 8.0L NA V8), great design, luxurious interior, a top speed of 300km/h and an unbelievable noise.
However, with this being 1970 and the car being RWD, there’s basically no way to avoid wheelspin in 1st (which goes up to slightly above 100km/h), 2nd or even 3rd gear. With only 4 gears, that seems like a tough sell. But with this much power, even with the wheels spinning, the car accelerates like crazy and it corners decently (and safely with a tendency of understeer), thanks to its relatively low weight of less than 1.3 tons. Yet of course, oversteer is only a fraction of a second away at any given time if you so desire.

Car magazines were split in two groups about this car: One group described it as the ultimate petrolhead’s car with masses of power, noise and luxury, which requires some big balls to drive. The other group said it was a ridiculously overpowered and overpriced vehicle that goes nowhere but sideways and can’t be driven on normal roads.

Despite the hefty criticism, 150 Hekates were actually sold for a price of 12.000$ which, in 1970, was a huge number. Rumour has it that about 20-30 still exist today and that collectors are willing to pay ridiculous amounts of money for them.

What do you think?

Greets,
Tom

Probably I found the reason why there were 150 Hekates sold…
THE FRONT IS UGLY AND RIDICULOUS.

I’m assuming that you were being sarcastic, in which case thank you for appreciating my design! [size=65](Otherwise, what you said would just be rude)[/size]

But here i am with another design, a car that you can pre-order now and it will be delivered starting early 2016! It’s the new generation of the Kestrel.

Pretty much everything is new, but the idea behind the car is still the same: a luxury GT cruiser with lots of straight-line performance.

-New design with more futuristic taillights and updated headlights with chrome casing. And don't forget the wing.
 -New 9.0L N/A V8 with modern pushrods and 700hp.
 -Luxury interior and entertainment, as well as advanced safety, as always.
 -275mm front and 375mm rear tires, sports compound.
 -7-speed double-clutch gearbox, 3.6 seconds from 0-100km/h and a top speed of almost 370km/h.
 -Aluminium engine, chassis and panels.
 - Price: 85.000€

What do you think?

Greets,
Tom

I love it! :slight_smile:
When you changed your headlights and taillights style at the begining i was not a big fan ,but this one has more refined design than ever.Everything seems inplace.

Thank you! :smiley:
Yeah, you learn something new every day. Even when you already have well over 1000 hours in this game like me, you can still learn new stuff or learn how to do things better. And you find more and more uses for the existing fixtures, creating a unique look.

1. The Hekate was a sarcasm, of course. However it doesn’t look very usual :slight_smile:
  2. Kestrel is awesome! :smiley:
  1. The Hekate was a sarcasm, of course. However it doesn’t look very usual :slight_smile:
  2. Kestrel is awesome! :smiley:

I’m back! I didn’t really go anywhere but I haven’t been active in this thread very much. So today I’d like to share with you the new design for the Mantis, which really is going to be the trend-setter for AMW. It’s got fresh design and new engines (though capacities are still the same and power figures are pretty similar to the old models, except for the Mantis HP).

So here’s the design for the standard versions of the Mantis (this time in Royal Blue):

The engines on the “normal” models haven’t really changed all that much, with the 1.6 and the 1.8 eco producing a few less hp than before due to revised tuning, but in return the fuel economy is still very good (less so than before due to changes in the fuel economy calculations).
They still all come with an alu chassis and polymer panels, with 4 standard seats and standard interior, as well as a viscous LSD, a 6-speed manual and advanced safety. To give you a rough idea of the overall car, here are the stats for the 1.6L version:

The Mantis HP on the other hand has received some significant changes under the bonnet. Gone is the 2.0 turbo I4 because that’s just too mainstream. Instead, it is now powered by a 3.2L racing-derived N/A V6:

Aesthetically, you can notice some small difference to the regular models, namely the additional air intakes on the bonnet, the black stripe running along the side skirts, and some “vintage” air outlets aside of the rear bumper that might remind you of some old rallye cars (or older racing cars in general).

The performance of this car is unmatched by any other so called “hot hatch” made in Europe. 4.4s to go from 0-100km/h and a top speed of 300km/h that it can actually achieve on the AMW testing straight, too!

The price for the Mantis HP is 50.000€ in Austria, on par with a Golf R. However, this is by far the sportier car and the Golf R is just not really a special car any more, it’s too mainstream. The Mantis HP, however, is a very different animal, but it’s also quite easy to drive, thanks to the driver aids, the 7-speed double-clutch gearbox (with automatic mode) and the carefully tuned suspension. And since nobody buys a full-house hot hatch for its fuel economy anyway, AMW’s engineers decided it didn’t matter.

Greets,
Tom

I quite like the design aesthetic you have for your modern era cars. It does quite well on the Mantis, especially. Head-on it looks sleek, low, and wide. Its actually quite deceptive considering the body its based on, but its not “too much”. A nice injection of sportiness and aggression on an otherwise unassuming base body.

Thank you, Tunerguy!

Today I’m going to present you guys the new Eagle!

As always, this rather small premium sports coupe comes with Premium interior, standard Infotainment (obviously developed by our own IT-engineers, just like the one in the Mantis), an aluminium chassis, alu panels and a couple of engine choices. The engines are now a bit better structured. There’s 2 main blocks, a 2.5L I6 and a 4.5L V8, and 3 versions each (eco, fun and sport. All of them are turbocharged). The nomenclature for the models is now also new, and you can have all these standard models with either RWD or AWD with a power distribution of 30% front/70% rear. So the entry version is called the Eagle Eco 6. Eco for engine variant, 6 for the amount of cylinders of course. The AWD version has an X in between, e.g. Eagle Eco X 6. The models have following outputs and stats (power, 0-100km/h, economy, price)

Eco 6: 205hp, 6.4s, 5.0l/100km ------ 35.000€
Eco X 6: 205hp, 6.4s, 5.1l/100km ---- 36.000€
Fun 6: 240hp, 5.9s, 5.8l/100km ------ 37.500€
Fun X 6: 240hp, 5.6s, 5.9l/100km ---- 38.500€
Sport 6: 275hp, 5.2s, 6.5l/100km ---- 41.000€
Sport X 6: 275hp, 5.0s, 6.7l/100km – 42.000€
Eco 8: 300hp, 5.5s, 7.2l/100km ------ 44.500€
Eco X 8: 300hp, 4.6s, 7.3l/100km ---- 45.500€
Fun 8: 350hp, 5.3s, 7.8l/100km ------ 48.000€
Fun X 8: 350hp, 4.1s, 8.0l/100km ---- 49.000€
Sport 8: 400hp, 5.0s, 8.1l/100km ---- 51.500€
Sport X 8: 400hp, 3.8s, 8.3l/100km – 52.500€

Also as always, there’s one model that stands above all others, and it’s called the Eagle HP. Its power comes from a newly developed 6.0L NA V8 (100.0mmx95.5mm), generating 700hp and 675Nm with a redline of 8500RPM. It puts its power to only the rear wheels via a 7-speed double-clutch gearbox. Aesthetically, it has a bonnet hump, some vents on the bonnet, a black stripe along the side skirts like the Mantis HP, quad exhausts and a wing.

You can also see on the last picture that this car has carbon brakes, to provide best possible stopping power. You’ll need it if you put the hammer down, trust me. Because while it may be slower from 0-100km/h than the Sport X 8, once those rear tires hook up, this thing just flies. Like an eagle. You could see in the previous post how long it took the Mantis HP to reach 300km/h (and that car is already faster than a BMW M4). Now look how quickly the Eagle HP gets to the 300km/h mark.

This engine pulls so hard, in fact, that when we put our AWD system on the car for testing purposes, it did 0-100 in 2.7 seconds and the quarter mile in 10.1 seconds, half a second faster than the Lamborghini Aventador despite equal power and similar weight. Even so, the RWD version will still complete the 5km long AMW straight faster than if it had AWD. Not a very real-life orientated decision then, to keep it RWD, but also think about how much fun one can have in this car. RWD, huge power, all driver assists to keep you safe when you don’t wanna mess around, but lots of burnt rubber if you do. On the limit, it understeers slightly, but of course oversteer is only a fraction of a second away if you want to.
The price for this car is 90.000€, similar to a BMW M4 here in Austria. But the same power output as a Lamborghini Aventador.

What do you think?

Greets,
Tom