The official AMW thread - 2024 AMW Phoenix

Whenever I do have time to sit down and I have an idea for a car design in my head (and those times are becoming less and less frequent as I’m sure you can tell by the amount of time between posts), I do still have it in me to come up with an extravagant and unique car design. Not saying it’s for everyone, but here is the 2024 AMW Phoenix:

It’s called Phoenix because it was developed in an attempt to revive a dying breed of cars: the affordable yet fun to drive entry-level sports coupe. This type of car peaked in the 90’s but has since been on a decline, to a point where today there’s really only one choice: the Toyota GR86. Two, if you count the MX-5 RF as a coupe.

The AMW Phoenix stands out with its flamboyant design. Modern high-tech LED lights and details meet classic coupe proportions. Modern-day efficiency and emission standards meet vintage i5 engine sound. Modern-day safety and comfort meets old school driving pleasure and light-weight.

The engine in this car is a 2.0L Inline 5 which is naturally aspirated and revs to 7800RPM. It produces 190hp which strikes a perfect balance between not being overwhelming for drivers who are not used to fast cars (which may be quite a few of potential customers), but also being quick and responsive enough to be exciting. In fact, this car is capable of accelerating from 0-100km/h in just 5.1s on regular asphalt, under 5s on the drag strip.

Obviously a sports car is not just about how fast it accelerates, much more important to enthusiasts is the way it corners. And thanks to countless hours of testing and tuning the suspension, the handling is both very responsive and sharp, but also predictable. With the electronic assists turned off, you can kick the tail out in 2nd gear if you want to, but if you don’t then the car will be docile and it won’t surprise you. And if you do catch yourself keeping your right foot planted for longer than intended and you need to scrub off some speed you’ll be pleased with the braking of this car, which is nothing short of supercar-like.

All of this performance is of course partly due to the car’s low weight of only 1058kg. It also has a perfect 50/50 weight distribution which further contributes to the superb handling and braking abilities of this car.

Now for the all important figure on an entry-level sports car: the price. Quick and simple: the AMW Phoenix costs 25.000$. Any more questions?

1 Like

The Phoenix leaves a lot to be desired aesthetically, but the engineering underneath is sound, and its atmo five-pot is an aural delight. Why not fuse two of those to create a V10 and put the resulting engine in a larger, more upmarket sibling to the Phoenix?

I recognize that I have a habit of making cars that kind of look like they belong in GTA, rather than out there on real streets, which is not for everyone. But at the very least it’s distinctive, it stands out from all the other cars nowadays. And I think that’s what it needs to do in this market. Is there anything in particular about the design that you would change, or is it the overall aesthetic as a whole?

As for making a larger, more premium car with a V10 made from two of these I5s, I could do that but thinking about it I don’t think that there is any market for a 4.0L V10 premium coupe unless you sell it for a low enough price to make it attractive which means you’re not making much profit if any. Realistically, if I keep the engine NA we’re probably looking at 360~400hp, barring significant retuning. With a V10 and premium materials for both the chassis and interior, you’re probably looking at Audi RS5 like pricing, but the RS5 is AWD, more powerful, more practical and more efficient. But even if it ends up cheaper than the RS5, it won’t be cheaper than a Mustang GT which is also more powerful and probably easier and cheaper to maintain because it’s a Ford.